daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:56 PM   #121
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

Germany, part 1

yes, Germany: my homecountry. This will be a longer story.

It was one of the pavillons which was designed and built entirely from the scratch by a specially designated project team. Other *own pavillons* like Croatia, Czech Rep. or Portugal used some standardized buildings erected by the Chinese and added some ornaments on it.

The German pavillon was surely one of the Expos landmarks and could be identified quite easily by its enormous size and quite...er...brutalist design. Ill leave it to you if you like it or not

The pavillon was titled *balancity*, focusing on urban development which is in line with its natural environment, benefits all parties and lets its inhaibtants participate in all relevant decisions.
So far the theorteic approach.

In real, some were more equal, namely me with a German passport did not have to queue up and could go inside without any problems. We went twice. The queuing outside was up to 5 hours on the most crowded days. Chinese love the Germans for their talent for engineering, and especailly building fast cars.

The downside for us sneakers: we had to take the side entrance and missed its first attraction: one huge postcard from each German province depicting the countrys natural highlights. It was the only thing which was about nature, the rest was everything which has to do with humans.

A long moving floor got us through a huge blueish tunnel. At its end some information about the major German port cities including ongoing projects marked the beginning of our German Expo experience.
We went up with an escalator

The pavillon tried to document contemporary scientific, economic or social topics in a child friendly setting. The next pcitures shows a design how elderly people can live together. This was done with some famous German toys called playmobil. Every German has been playing with them when he was a child.

New designs for lifes. As the traditional role of women is being replaced by more career oriented models, new forms of child care have to be introduced

This part also included some interactive games you could play after having received a short introduction from the personnel.

Clap your hands and the birds will fly away!

The second room showed some typical German street scenes with a short description of the place shown. Jewish cemeteries, some amusement districts, old monasteries or just the famous English Garden in Munich with its Chinese temple.

To view these sceneries you had to take a look into some hoods which were hung upside down from the floor (you can see them in the background of the next photo)
Some partition and diversion was created by hanging up some coloured curtains

This was a nice idea, but the colours looked rather ugly, though

The pavillons message was: urban life in Germany combines modern and traditional elements in a harmonious way. Or better: balanced way.

Some nice detail on the third rooms doorstep. I absolutely dont know which name these glassbowls have in english language. If you shake them, the buildings get covered with snow.

The glass bowls content showed typical German sceneries and cityscapes

Okay Ill make it like with Finland: thats it for today, second part tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM   #122
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Germany part 2

The third big room (actually it was the fourth as we did not visit the huge post cards shown near the entrance) was a bit more concrete.

Like the previous one huge portions dealt with culture but now documenting concrete ongoing projects, like how to recycle old metal to art or how to transform an neglected empty coalmine into a bizarre illuminated swimming pool for snorkeling. Numerous collections of photos and short movies transported the messages to the audience.

After this, it was time to take a short rest and look at some best practice examples of Sino-German relationships.

I did not pay much attention to this part as this place was getting very crowded. Soon I realized the reason why. Everybody was waiting to enter the enormous amphitheatre the Germans had set up at the pavillons exit.

Like with Australia, this movie theatre marked the pavillons highlight. As with Australia the stuff shown was done in rather child friendly way. But on the contrary the audience did not only have to listen but was also actively involved.

A sort of mirrorball was to become the performance main *actor*. This mirrorball could (obviously) be directed by the noise level of the audience. As the audience was told to scream the ball began to change its colour and started swinging.

If you have been in China before you can easily guess that the Chinese liked this. Surprisingly, the noise level was tolerable.

There was no link to the rest of the pavillons content. Maybe the swinging ball moving to where the people screamed loudest was a reference to the pavillons theme *balancity*.

The whole thing was something like hysterizing the masses. The louder you scream the more you can be part of the whole show.

All in all it was a good pavillon but not one of the best. Some people considered it to be the best and you barely heard negative things about it. Moreover, the German pavillon was at the Expos end also among the award winners but all in all Italy, Spain, Japan or even Russia received better reviews.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM   #123
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Georgia

Georgia was on my mind each time I went to the Expo but it took me four times until I finally managed to catch a glimpse during my fifth visit. Georgia was located in the Eastern European rowhouse next to Bulgaria. Some people may wonder why they found it there as nobody really knows whether its an Asian or European country. The population is comprised of Christians therefore it might be European culturally, geographically, though it is a part of Asia.

Since I live in China I did not follow regularly the news about what is going on there and somehow lost the link to it. In the past you heard mixed news about Sakartvelo as the locals call it. A short and very bizarre armed conflict in the summer of 2008 with its huge hostile neighbour Russia, a democratic revolution forcing Schewerdnadse, the long reignin Ex Soviet minister for foreign affairs, to resign, strong economic growth. All this flanked by beautiful scenery and 5000 years of history and culture.
Interesting ingredients to mingle for an attractive pavillon. In fact the Georgian pavillon was rewarded as one of the the best joint pavillon and this for good reason.

First reason was its attractive layout you find pictured above. Massive white archways waving up and down decorated with golden lions. The pavillons center a wineyard with a big tree.

The photos draw a lot of attention. The landscape in Georgia is very varied with the 5000m high Kavkaz mountain rising straight from the subtropic Black Sea shores. The still humble number of tourists might be surprised to find some good skiing opportunities here. This is also the place where Gorbachey resides in his summer holidays. And where Stalin was born.

More popular is the Georgian food which reflects the different landscapes and climatic zones of the country. In the old city district of the capital Tbilissi you meanwhile can enjoy this excellent cuisine and go clubbing. At least that is what the pictures tell you.

All in all a nice surprise featuring Kavkaz alpine scenery and Tbilissis amusement district.

Last edited by Rinchinlhumbe; June 2nd, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM   #124
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Ghana

No news is good news. And when western media describe an African country as *boring* like a German magazine did some years ago this can only be equated with an absence of political turmoil, famine and ehtnic conflicts. Ghana is by no means boring but has not made it into the newspapers and magazines in the last years. Everyhting seems to work over there. When a politician is becoming unpopular he is driven out of power, when a high ranking official is corrupt he will be arrested. Maybe Ghana will get more news coverage again when its petrol reserves start getting exploited and the country will turn into the first African Dubai.
Until then it has to survive on its dynamic agricultural sector or its flourishing IT industry. The NYC police has outsourced its administration work - would you believe it? - to Ghana. If you get fined in New York for wrong parking, your offense will be registered and handled in Accra.

Why I write all this? Because this could have been interesting stuff to fill the pavillon. The emphasis lies on *could*

Actually this booth was a rather dull affair, maybe the expectation were a bit higher than at other African pavillons.
A temple like entrance (maybe a reference to a similar looking fort erected by the British in the 16th century?) with the *Freedom and Justice* inscription at least revealed a bit of the countrys political achievements.
The interior contained some information about its major export good cocoa and its successes in playing football.
The rest was comprised by the usual collection of masks, clothes, sculptures and photos.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM   #125
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

what shall I cook tomorrow?
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM   #126
leadbelly

Likes (Received): 1

Great thread, anymore Pavillions ?
leadbelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #127
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Likes (Received): 7238

Anymore countries after Ghana?
Don Pacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #128
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

I put some up tomorrow (assuming that i do not get banned for the rubbish i posted today)
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #129
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Grenada

First pavillon after this long break is grenada and it wasnt worth waiting for it for 7 months.
About the country: a laid back and small island state under the Caribbean sun where life seems to go on peacefully forever. With some sharp interruptions in 1983 as the weak and tiny United States of America feared leftist tendencies in the mighty and notorious bloodthirsty Grenadian government and intervened in order to prevent the world from communist world domination. At least, since then, elections in Grenada have been free and fair. In 2004 again a hurricane destroyed huge parts of the islands infrastructure.

The most memorable thing about this pavillon was the huge pink plastic sculpture. The wall were hung up with some paintings and posters. Some TV screens provided further information. Quite nice to see some food and drinks manufactured in Grenada (rhum!) and the dainty, wooden ships. You can see them stored on the shelves in the background

Drum roll: I even brought home a small Grenadian paper flag back home.

Last edited by Rinchinlhumbe; January 30th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #130
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Greece, part1

Some might start eyerolling when reading this countrys name. Greece? Dont they have other ways of spending their money then investing into a huge EXPO pavillon? To be fair: there are some more intersting things about Greece except debts and politics. Besides, this pavillon was planned in around 2008 before financial crisis struck and so it was very surprising to see that Greece EXPO performance was obviously not affected by budgeting problems

The blueish exterior was nothing to write home about, but I quite likde the inside.
The pavillons motto was POLIS which means city in Greek. Modern city life and urban development was what the EXPO was about and who could demonstrate this better than Greece with its 4000 years urban history and political culture?

Jumping into the 21st century, the pavillon featured some video animation about modern urban life showing that people reclaim their polis

A 1:1 model of a typical Athenian kiosk which serves not only as a place to buy newspapers bit also as as a meeting point to socialize with the neighbourhood

Moving away from the urban hectic people could witness a cruise across the calm Aegean Sea. Not too surprising this at first sight unspectacular feature did not draw too much attention. Funnily 1.5 years after visiting it it is the first thing which comes to my mind when recalling the Greek pavillon

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #131
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Greece part 2

Now about the proactive part.
I did not quite this one. Obviously the visitors were able to rotate the view by turning the steering wheel but it seemd to be defunct

Save Greece from its forest fires by touching the surface with the coloured hands!

The better it gets the more brighter the bowl

Greek food

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #132
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Guatemala

Finally, the Latin-American state which is famous for its Maja ruins, its gourgeous jungle landscapes and its 4220m high Tajumulco volcano which is the highest in Central America (and some drug cartels and long, bloody civil wars which are luckily history).

The pavillons layout was based on the aforemnetioned Maja heritage.
The right thing to do as Emmerichs 2012 was just successfully introduced in Chinese cinemas just before the EXPO started.

Culture clash: Chinese wearing Latin American straw hats

If you have went through this thread before you surely know that this was the toughest EXPO visit for me. Most of the people didnt spend too much time at this spot, but quickly queued up get a stamp in their EXPO passport and rushed hastily off

The few which stayed were rewarded with some nice photographs displaying the countrys beauty.

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #133
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

After visiting all these pavillons, time to take a brief look outside:

Old January 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #134
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Guinea Bissau

Have you ever heard about this country? Measuring just the size of Taiwan but not reaching its importance in terms of economic power, the former Portuguese colony remains one of the most obscure countries in the world.

What a pity, with its savannas, mangrove forests and islands it must be a very picturesque place. The ethnics living on the Bissagos islands are one of the few remaining matriarchist societies and were granted UNESO world cultural heritage status.

Talking about business, the country has not performed so successful since being released from the iron grip of its Portuguese colonialists in 1974. The country survives on the export of cashew nuts and little else. In recent years it received a certain amount of press coverage because of some political turmoil and for becoming a major base for trading drugs between Latin America and Europe. There were even some rumours about losing its status as a independent state but I have not read anything about it in recent times.

To cut a long story short, it was amazing this country turned up at the party and even gave a decent performance given its limited resources.

The major attraction were interesting photographs displaying the Bissaoans (?) every day life.

But for totally different GB was a very unique experience. The day I visited was declared as the Expos official "Guinea Bissau Day". The Expo endured 180 days, just enough to cover all countries particapting with a one day celebration. On the Chinese TV program they showed some information about the countrys pavillon and the state itself. At the Expo a local band cheered up the atmosphere. Maybe there was some more entertainment but I didnt wait and carried on.

GB was the only pavillon visit which coincided with such an event.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #135
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Guyana

It is not a stretch to say that this was the highlight of the Caribbean joint pavillon. Hidden in a very remote corner amongst all the tiny islands states, Guyana was something like a face in the crowd and many other visitors shared this view.

Despite its geographic location on the South American continent, Guyana is often regarded as a Caribbean country. A major share of its population are of Indian (India! Taj Mahal not Teepees!) origin and of Hinduist belief. This sparsely populated country is mostly comprised of virgin jungle plus some gigantic waterfalls and soaring rocky outcrops. Some remote regions remain almost inacessible until today.

But going with the Expos motto the performance also focused on urban development.

This is a model of Guyanas capital Geoergetown. Quite interesting to see but a little smaller for using the space for more streets would have not been too bad.

The pavillons featured all topics to know about Guyanas history, culture, geography and people.

This was done in a very interesting way and easy to follow. Also historical links to China were mentioned.

All in all a decent affair.

...but how come the River Amazone flows through Guyana?
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM   #136
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Haiti

Haiti was the first colony to be granted independence. While most African states just celebrated their 50th anniversary, the Caribbean island"s people already separated in 1804 from France. As we all know, it didnt help them much...

The Expo started just 4 months after a disastrous earthquake hit Haiti making bad things even worse. It is reported that 310,000 people have died, bringing the country to its knees.

A replica of the giant citadelle Laferriere, (a kind of national symbol, a leftover from the French heritage) some colourful framed pictures, some artefacts and some souvenirs made up a pretty nice pavillon.

All is left to say that I sincerely hope the Haitian somehow someday manage to overcome their neverending hardships. And that an earthquake like this will never happen again. Without sounding too elevated.

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:56 PM   #137
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

fascinating thread. interesting to see how nations portray themselves

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM   #138
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

interesting thread, nice pics and very informative ...
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM   #139
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

thank you, mates
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #140
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Holland, Netherlands, part1

Netherland was the shooting star at Germany`s Expo 2000 in Han(g)over.
Too bad this building did not find any investors after the Expo and now looks neglected.
In Shanghai, the Dutch chose another quite innovative and unique approach. No real building but an open air walkway, called the "Happy Street".

On the downside this pavillon was the only one being completely dependent on the weather. We visited it after a brief but heavy rainshower in order to avoid ┤queuing and in fact, it only took 20 minutes to get "inside".

It may sound a bit bizarre but the main highlight was the ground floor carpeted with a green meadow with plastic cows to sit on and snack bars on it. At these snack bars you could taste culinary excellence of what the world famous Dutch cusine is renowned for: Frikandel, Frit, Kaassouflee.

Actually the thrill of walking on a colourful street bypassing flying football grounds and "leviateted" houses was the main attraction of this venue.

Inside this houses lining up the street there was no captions explaining what was to see. I didn┤t quite get the meaning of this one

Tags
shanghai