daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #21
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Calvert Hall is crazy, don't 100+ kids go out for baseball there?
Scba no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #22
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
My high school!

I'm sure this is how most of our stadiums looked like. Mine was just a little bigger. Only game that people actually went to was homecoming games and that was more of a socializing event where people hardly payed attention to the game.
But that was just my school. Florida can be pretty loyal to their high school football teams. Every small town and large city has their schools with a real following.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #23
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidebomber View Post
Tom Ballaban Field at St. Xavier Stadium. Cincinnati, Ohio. Home of the St. Xavier Bombers. Seats 6,500 (4,500 home, 2,000 away) and holds 8,000.

This is my personal favorite that I've been to. My high school, although the best HS football program in the state, did not have a home stadium. It was a downer sometimes.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #24
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Although this is a collegiate facility, the Tigres Juvenil, a public high school associated with Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, use this facility:

Estadio Gaspar Mass, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico

In Mexico, more specifically the National Student High School Football League, all of the teams are affiliated with local colleges. The High School games are played in the spring, and the college teams play in the fall.
Commandant no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #25
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
My GOD!!!! That can not be a high school gym
It's for all high schools in the Cypress, Texas area. I'm only 20 miles away from it and I go to that town for everything (since nothing is here where I currently am) but I haven't seen it up close yet.

There's another one like it in Katy (also suburban Houston) and it even hosts the Southland Conference tournament games.
JJG no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #26
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Jessie H. Owens complex - Ellis Davis Fieldhouse and Kincaide Stadium - Dallas, TX

rantanamo no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #27
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Am I the only one who sees how wrong it is to spend millions on these facilities while students who study cant get that millions of dollars on new books, equipments etc?

Unless you can honestly tell me they can raise money by high school sports spectators alone.
TheKorean no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #28
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Am I the only one who sees how wrong it is to spend millions on these facilities while students who study cant get that millions of dollars on new books, equipments etc?

Unless you can honestly tell me they can raise money by high school sports spectators alone.
These are usually built with bond money(meaning the area voted on the use of bonds) and maintained by booster club and stadium revenues from season tickets, concessions and video board ad revenue. Playoff games are especially huge money makers. Texas schools are funded from totally different sources.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #29
rantanamo

Always though this was one of the more aesthetically pleasing stadiums in Texas.

Vernon Newsom Stadium(Mansfield, TX)

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #30
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5093

WOW. some of these are huge asss stadiums, they can go for professional arenas. btw how many schools (percentage) have such facilities, and by average whats the highschool population in the us? like how many students per school? cause these are pretty huge places
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #31
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

These would be pretty exceptional through most of the country, though more common in Texas and the like. My high school (of about 2,100 students) for instance has a stadium that seats about 2,400 with a track, lights, scoreboard and minimal facilities. The gym seats about 1,200, which would be more common for many schools.
Benn no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #32
irving1903

Likes (Received): 27

I wouldn't say our high school stadium was anything fancy but it was always the place to be every friday night in the fall

Irving Schools Stadium - Irving Texas - shared by Irving HS, Irving Nimitz, & Irving MacArthur

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=263

Last edited by irving1903; March 31st, 2011 at 12:46 AM.
irving1903 no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #33
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
These would be pretty exceptional through most of the country, though more common in Texas and the like. My high school (of about 2,100 students) for instance has a stadium that seats about 2,400 with a track, lights, scoreboard and minimal facilities. The gym seats about 1,200, which would be more common for many schools.
The same here in the Mid-Atlantic, with the exception of several private-school powerhouses. High school football is just part of the culture in Texas, as it is in some places in California, the Southeast, PA/OH.
Scba no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #34
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Valdosta High School, Valdosta GA...the winningest high school football program in the nation.

Cleveland Field, capacity 11,200

http://www.valdostafootball.com/stadium.asp
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #35
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Always though this was one of the more aesthetically pleasing stadiums in Texas.

Vernon Newsom Stadium(Mansfield, TX)

Ah, I hate lookin' at that stadium.

Everytime I played there, we'd get our asses handed to us.... (North Crowley '07)
JJG no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #36
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
... and by average whats the highschool population in the us? like how many students per school? cause these are pretty huge places
This is my alma mater in Georgia, Milton High School. This is a more typical size, although it is probably much nicer than the average (and still not near as nice as these TX stadiums).

The school changed locations and facilities recently after I graduated. The new stadium is about 1/2 the size of the old one (a poor decision IMO since we'd be at ~50% capacity for years of mediocrity, and over capacity for our main rivalry game.) Both sets of stands are built into hills.

I graduated in a class of 700. There have been more schools constructed since then, so I'd assume the school has 2,500+ enrolled.

Last edited by RaiderATO; March 30th, 2011 at 06:02 AM.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #37
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

The stadium at my old school sits 3,100 and sometimes has games cancelled because of "excessive amounts of goose excrement on the playing surface". Usually more geese than people at the stadium anyway, probably one of the few schools where soccer outdraws football because the football team likes to go on several year long losing streaks (49 is their record, it was 50 something but another team cheated so we were retroactively given a win).

The Triad has some pretty big stadiums though.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #38
rantanamo

Waco ISD Stadium

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #39
rantanamo

Midway Panthers Stadium (near Waco)

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #40
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

My HS in WV had about 1800 students when I was there and an 8000 - 9000 seat stadium, which was usually filled around 60 - 75% except for my freshman year when we were really good and it was more like 90% and my junior year when we were really bad and it was more like 45%.

The BBall team plays at a city owned arena which seats around 5000 and its usually a near sellout since the team is alway a state title contender.
mattec no está en línea  

Closed Thread