daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #41
Liam0711
Birdland Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Calvert Hall is crazy, don't 100+ kids go out for baseball there?
Probably a little more than that...the baseball park is insane...truthfully I wish they would have went with natural grass, but they have limited space for athletics so that's why they went with the field turf.

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #42
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

I think Crystal Palace Baltimore played their swan song matches at Calvert Hall, it's a fine, fine facility.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #43
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Some relevant information...the ten largest high school football stadiums in the U.S.
http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-largest...-stadiums.html
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #44
Otto Racecar

Likes (Received): 15

One thing to consider is that some of these stadiums are the homefields for multiple high schools and even colleges.I always try to determine how many schools actually play there and if it was built with multiple schools in mind.
Otto Racecar no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #45
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Racecar View Post
One thing to consider is that some of these stadiums are the homefields for multiple high schools and even colleges.I always try to determine how many schools actually play there and if it was built with multiple schools in mind.
Some yes, most, absolutely not. Most are 1 or 2 schools. I usually post the multi-school ones because its easier to keep up with, but the vast majority of the nice new stadiums are in larger 1 or 2 high school districts. You'll also find that its rare that a college plays at these newer stadiums. Older ones like A&M Commerce, Midwestern State, Tarleton and Huntsville share, but those wouldn't be considered anywhere near new or as one of the top stadiums in Texas. These are high school stadiums 99% of the time.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #46
rantanamo

Midlothian Stadium(southern Dallas burb)

small, but good aerial

and their little arena attached to the stadium

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #47
Otto Racecar

Likes (Received): 15

Here is Fawcett Stadium in Canton,Ohio which seats 22,375.Fawcett Stadium is situated next to the pro football hall of fame but was built in 1938 long before the Hall of Fame was constructed. Canton City Schools owns the stadium as it was originally built for McKinley high school. Currently Canton McKinley and Tinken high schools as well as NAIA colleges Malone and Walsh play there.The pro football hall of fame conducts its enshrinement ceremonies here each year and the NFL plays its first preseason game of the year here as well. Half of the divisions of the ohio high school football state championships are played here each year as well.

Last edited by Otto Racecar; March 30th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Otto Racecar no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #48
rantanamo

Denton ISD Stadium - Denton, Tx

This is one of the large, multi-team stadiums hosting 3 high schools. Not as elaborate as others, but the facilities there are among the nicest.

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #49
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2444

Midland has a pretty nice stadium if I remember correctly. Pretty new too
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #50
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
These are usually built with bond money(meaning the area voted on the use of bonds) and maintained by booster club and stadium revenues from season tickets, concessions and video board ad revenue. Playoff games are especially huge money makers. Texas schools are funded from totally different sources.
Oh, good.
TheKorean no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:16 AM   #51
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
These would be pretty exceptional through most of the country, though more common in Texas and the like. My high school (of about 2,100 students) for instance has a stadium that seats about 2,400 with a track, lights, scoreboard and minimal facilities. The gym seats about 1,200, which would be more common for many schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
The same here in the Mid-Atlantic, with the exception of several private-school powerhouses. High school football is just part of the culture in Texas, as it is in some places in California, the Southeast, PA/OH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
This is my alma mater in Georgia, Milton High School. This is a more typical size, although it is probably much nicer than the average (and still not near as nice as these TX stadiums).

The school changed locations and facilities recently after I graduated. The new stadium is about 1/2 the size of the old one (a poor decision IMO since we'd be at ~50% capacity for years of mediocrity, and over capacity for our main rivalry game.) Both sets of stands are built into hills.

I graduated in a class of 700. There have been more schools constructed since then, so I'd assume the school has 2,500+ enrolled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
My HS in WV had about 1800 students when I was there and an 8000 - 9000 seat stadium, which was usually filled around 60 - 75% except for my freshman year when we were really good and it was more like 90% and my junior year when we were really bad and it was more like 45%.

The BBall team plays at a city owned arena which seats around 5000 and its usually a near sellout since the team is alway a state title contender.
damn, these are huge ass facilities styll, in toronto we the university campus has something like that but schools just have a field and a indoor arena with maybe 300-400 seats.

the most populated school ive been to has like 3000 students
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:40 AM   #52
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
the most populated school ive been to has like 3000 students
Most schools in large cities hover around 2,000. But a 5,000 student body is not as rare as you might think.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:33 AM   #53
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

The Massillon Tigers built a $6 million, 80,000 square foot indoor practice facility. It's the first indoor practice facility built by a high school team in Ohio. Massillon's Paul L. David Athletic Training Center was built by local businessman Jeff David in honor of his late father. The $3 million facility is part of a larger $6 million "DREAM project" that will include an 18,000-square-foot sports medicine building. Fortunately for local taxpayers, the project is being privately funded by the Paul & Carol David Foundation. Last year the foundation awarded 80 scholarships to Massillon students. The 80,000 square foot building is actually 20,000-square-feet bigger than the indoor facility used by the NFL's Cleveland Browns. Then there's the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals.

"Massillon High School is ahead of us," Bengals owner Mike Brown, the oldest son of Paul Brown, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer when asked about the indoor facility. "We don't have one."

Commandant no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:11 AM   #54
Bobby3

Most professional football teams from any code would be very, very proud to have a facility of that caliber. Incredible.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM   #55
rantanamo

Pretty much ever high school in the northern Dallas suburbs has an indoor facility and ridiculous weight and training facilities. Places like Plano, Allen, Southlake Carroll and Coppell have had them for years. A lot has changed since I played.

Highland Park

Princeton High School

Allen High School(the one building the ridiculous stadium)
image hosted on flickr

back to stadiums

Northwest ISD Stadium - Justin, TX, DFW suburb

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM   #56
rantanamo

Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium - Rockwall, TX - DFW Suburbs

image hosted on flickr

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM   #57
Bobby3

My old school's football and soccer teams practice on a flood plain between the baseball field and stadium .

Highland's facility is probably the size of our school.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM   #58
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Majority of Canadian universities don't have stadiums like this. Quite amazing I must say. My highschool "stadium" was two temporary stands with maximum capacity of about 150 people each side of the 55 yard line.
My high school (Halifax West High School, Nova Scotia, Canada) didn't have a proper stadium, but uses bleachers. They hold maybe 1000 people tops, but the facilities are quite good. It's one massive field covered in Field Turf that has markings for 3 soccer fields one after the other. The markings for 1 football field are painted over one of the soccer fields.

Halifax West High doesn't have anything like what exists in Texas, but we do have tennis courts and a duck pond. There's a neighbourhood recreation centre being built next to the school, so they'll have use of a brand new 25 metre pool too. It's quite a big jock school, so this stuff was long over due.

The Moncton Purple Knights (Moncton, New Brunswick) probably get the biggest crowds for any high school in Canada's Maritimes provinces. They had a crowd topping 3,000 last year and school enrollment of 1,200; not bad! 3,000 isn't big compared to some US high schools, but quite big for a Canadian high school. Couldn't find any good pics, sorry!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 31st, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #59
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Shite, never knew how extensive these US "football" stadiums are...
To put it in some perspective, i'm an Australian high school student and there are about 180 people in my year level. This is more than most schools. Very few schools feature an expansive sports program, only the very elite ones. If you play a sport here, you play for your local suburb rather than school.
Although, my school did recently spend ~$6m on a gym, however most of the price comes from the electronic retractable seats holding 1,300 people to turn the gym into a hall There are no seats to even watch sport from...
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:36 AM   #60
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Jessie H. Owens complex - Ellis Davis Fieldhouse and Kincaide Stadium - Dallas, TX

They should start booking concerts and shows there, more money.
TheKorean no está en línea  

Closed Thread