daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #81
aucina

Likes (Received): 0

Dear god, you have a highschool footbal stadiums on a professional level!! Incredible!

I read that university football is the most viewed sport ( visitors ) in the USA, but this is incredible. It can stand next to a lot of European football (your soccer) leagues in infrastructure.
aucina no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #82
vanbasten88

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
High schools in Australia don't compete against each other? What about pools? I know swimming is a big sport in your country.
I've been out of HS for a while now(34yo) but in my time, we had intra-school events. Most schools are divided up into 4 houses(red, yellow, green and blue - usually named after famous alumi) and each school will have a "sports day" and perhaps a "swimming carnival" where the house with the most points "wins" the day. As most schools don't have their own facilities, the students will be bused to a local community athletics stadium for "sports day" or community aquatic complex for "Swimming carnival"
At my school [a small to mid sized private catholic high school] we had school teams for Soccer and Australian Rules Football(Winter) and Cricket in Summer who would play other similarly sized private schools(private = not govt funded), but it is very rare the student body would take an interest in these events - Hell I don't even think we had team nicknames or an official school mascot. I don't know what the public schools(govt funded) do/did, but I imagine it isn't much different. I do remember the First XI being presented their uniform Soccer shirt (with a special school jumper to be worn with our school uniform at a school assembly once trials and selection had taken place, but I never saw other students at our games. Its the weekend and they had better things to do I imagine.
We were just referred to as the "Insert School name First XI"(11 = soccer)[i.e the St Joseph's* First XI] through to the fourth XI and the "School Name" First, Second or Third XVIII (18 = Australian Rules Footy[ARF]). At games it was mostly just friends and family in attendance. The bigger private schools certainly have their own gymnasiums and athletic facilities paid for by wealthy donors and/or high annual 'tuition' fees. If you are any good at sport here, you play for a local community based club and it is in this way that you are selected for higher honours such as zone representative teams(city North, city south etc) then state rep teams. For ARF, the state teams lead into the state based minor leagues, from which you can be drafted into the AFL. For Soccer, the state based minor league teams act as feeders into the A-League, but there is no formal draft in Soccer, just scouting. Hence the current AFC player of the year Sasa Ognenovski was playing in the level below the A-League only 3 years ago before being 'discovered' and signed by Brisbane Roar FC. He transferred to Adelaide United FC (my team) before being sold to Seongnam Ilwa(sp?) in the Korean K-League last year. He has since made his debut for the senior men's team, the Socceroos and was a fixture in the defence that came runners up to Japan in the last Asian cup (in Qatar2011) Basically school sports play second fiddle to local community based sporting clubs in most if not all sports in Australia. Thus High Schools just don't have a need for opulent and/or extravagant facilities here. The local City Councils(roughly county equivalents) develop and maintain sports facilities for community clubs to use as part of their remit to provide recreation facilities to their communities.

*not my school name

Last edited by vanbasten88; April 5th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
vanbasten88 no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #83
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

All High Stadium - Bennett High School, Buffalo, NY

I was there watching a semi-pro soccer game, so that explains the small crowd. On Friday nights this place rocks. Part of the film "The Natural" were filmed here before it was renovated.

HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #84
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
High schools in Australia don't compete against each other? What about pools? I know swimming is a big sport in your country.
I dont know where some people on here are from in Aus but I can vouch that Australian schools do compete in many sports. e.g. Rowing, Footy, Cricket, Rugby, Swimming, Tennis, Football, Athletics, skiing, table tennis and just about every other sport are competitive at inter school level.
It is amazing to see the level of facilities which some American schools have for sport. When I was at School I think it is probably safe to say that my school had the most extensive facilities in the state (Footy/Cricket ovals, aths track, football pitches, rugby ground, 50m indoor swimming pool, Boat sheds, gym, etc..) but nothing on the same level as the professional looking stadiums shown here. But I can't help but think it is all a MASSIVE waste of money, especially for such a boring sport (waits to get head blown off.... but you know its true).
mvictory no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #85
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
I dont know where some people on here are from in Aus but I can vouch that Australian schools do compete in many sports. e.g. Rowing, Footy, Cricket, Rugby, Swimming, Tennis, Football, Athletics, skiing, table tennis and just about every other sport are competitive at inter school level.
It is amazing to see the level of facilities which some American schools have for sport. When I was at School I think it is probably safe to say that my school had the most extensive facilities in the state (Footy/Cricket ovals, aths track, football pitches, rugby ground, 50m indoor swimming pool, Boat sheds, gym, etc..) but nothing on the same level as the professional looking stadiums shown here. But I can't help but think it is all a MASSIVE waste of money, especially for such a boring sport (waits to get head blown off.... but you know its true).
Is a waste of money because you think it's boring? Don't be ignorant.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #86
CVTower

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

Balboa Stadium, San Diego High School, San Diego, California
Just for the record, Balboa Stadium was at one point, the first home of the San Diego Chargers

The current stadium

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
CVTower no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #87
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Is a waste of money because you think it's boring? Don't be ignorant.
No, it's a waste of money because schools do not need that kind of venue and I personally believe that funds could be spent better, especially after meeting some of the Americans I have (just so you know that is not a swing at America, I do realise that you have some of the smartest people in the world but from my experience you also have some of the dumbest, I remember in the US being asked how long it took to drive from Australia). Just my opinion.
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #88
Welkin

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
No, it's a waste of money because schools do not need that kind of venue and I personally believe that funds could be spent better, especially after meeting some of the Americans I have (just so you know that is not a swing at America, I do realise that you have some of the smartest people in the world but from my experience you also have some of the dumbest, I remember in the US being asked how long it took to drive from Australia). Just my opinion.
Most of the schools don't pay for these top-notch facilities. They are built and paid for by booster groups and wealthy alumni. Also, if you high school is drawing 10,000 fans for a football game, five times a year, that's over $250,000 to the school's athletic budget (not to mention all the money they make off of concessions). These schools have big facilities because they make big money for the school. Nobody would build these stadiums if only a couple hundred fans show up. In many American towns, the entire town shuts down for Friday night and everyone is at the football game. High School football games are a major part of the American cultural scene.
Welkin no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #89
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Sorry, but that's a big swing at Americans and I really resent it.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #90
8th Street Tavern

Likes (Received): 27

Those high school basketball gyms in Texas are incredible! There are NCAA Division I schools that don't have anything close to a facility like that. No wonder Texas produces a great number of Division I athletes every year. It's hard to compete against schools with facilities like that.
8th Street Tavern no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #91
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Street Tavern View Post
Those high school basketball gyms in Texas are incredible! There are NCAA Division I schools that don't have anything close to a facility like that. No wonder Texas produces a great number of Division I athletes every year. It's hard to compete against schools with facilities like that.
Its the school district arena. The cypress fairbanks school district has like 12 large high schools its not for a single school its also probably used for graduation ceremonies, and other events.
corredor06 no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #92
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10455

Regarding Balboa Stadium. The original stadium on that site was torn down in 1980 and replaced with the present structure. My oldest son graduated from (SDHS) San Diego High in 1994.

Quote:
In many American towns, the entire town shuts down for Friday night and everyone is at the football game. High School football games are a major part of the American cultural scene.
This is so true. Here in my part of Iowa there are HS teams regularly drawing 5000 for Friday night football. Those little towns shutdown to support these teams. Basketball games? Sold out. And here they love Greco-Roman style wrestling..at the HS level..guess what? Great crowds for that also.

And that's how we roll sports wise in the USA. Other countries have their culture and we have ours.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Last edited by bd popeye; April 6th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
bd popeye no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #93
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
you also have dumb rednecks in Australia, so what's your point? there are dumb and smart people in any nation. Americans don't know about much about other nations not because they're dumb because they don't care. I bet you hold the same dumb views about countries in Africa or Latin America. it's the same thing. you don't care about other countries who you think are not on the same level as yours, so do Americans. it's human nature. don't get mad your country happen to fall in that category. besides this is one of the dumbest post I have ever read. America leads on everything. from innovation to health, science, economic and military might. because some of us don't know where the desert you call home located at it surely is a nation run by monkeys, right? *rolls eyes* people like you who stereotype Americans make me sick. you don't like it when we do it but you're fine doing it yourself. just sad.

with that said, the fact that our High schools have world class facilities should not surprise you. America's system is different than any other nation's. athletes are trained in High school and then get picked to go to college, play in College and then get drafted via lottery to become professional players. so it's all connected. today's high school player is tomorrow's NFL player. unlike many European soccer clubs who take kids and raise them our kids go to regular high school and college (the High schools and the colleges are the clubs) hence the emphasis on high school and college sport. at least understand something before you criticize it.
mike7743 no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #94
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Exactly.

High school sports are a major part of the development process of American athletes. And sports in general just happen to be a major part of the American cultural fabric. So, put two and two together. Future star athletes + strong community pride + love of sports in general = BIG BLOODY STADIUMS. When you talk about cutting edge sports medicine/training coupled with world class athletes, it should surprise no one that we have the nicest, largest, most advanced facilities anywhere in the world.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #95
RDSA

Likes (Received): 81

ignore mvictory.

he's a moron, who's well rounded views come from 13 years of expensive(and government funded to an extent) private school education.

and therefore, has no idea.

(apologies for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors but my parents couldn't afford to send me to Xavier)
RDSA no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #96
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
you also have dumb rednecks in Australia, so what's your point? there are dumb and smart people in any nation. Americans don't know about much about other nations not because they're dumb because they don't care. I bet you hold the same dumb views about countries in Africa or Latin America. it's the same thing. you don't care about other countries who you think are not on the same level as yours, so do Americans. it's human nature. don't get mad your country happen to fall in that category. besides this is one of the dumbest post I have ever read. America leads on everything. from innovation to health, science, economic and military might. because some of us don't know where the desert you call home located at it surely is a nation run by monkeys, right? *rolls eyes* people like you who stereotype Americans make me sick. you don't like it when we do it but you're fine doing it yourself. just sad.
Actually maybe I should have made myself more clear. You are right there are a lot of badly educated people everywhere not just in America. The point I made was that like everywhere there are deficiencies in your education system, hence why I said about the girl who asked me how long it took to drive from Australia (your point by the way is pretty stupid on this, something that most people know about African or Latin American countries is that they are in Africa or South America because they are CONTINENTS, pretty basic geography and I see no excuse apart from pure stupidity and ignorance for someone in a first world country to not know at least what all the continents are, one of which is Australia). What surprised me is that while there are obviously gaps in high school education funds are being used to build professional level stadiums for a bunch of school kids. Although I now understand how they are funded used because of Welkins post and no longer see a problem.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #97
mike7743

Quote:
Actually maybe I should have made myself more clear. You are right there are a lot of badly educated people everywhere not just in America. The point I made was that like everywhere there are deficiencies in your education system, hence why I said about the girl who asked me how long it took to drive from Australia (your point by the way is pretty stupid on this, something that most people know about African or Latin American countries is that they are in Africa or South America because they are CONTINENTS, pretty basic geography and I see no excuse apart from pure stupidity and ignorance for someone in a first world country to not know at least what all the continents are, one of which is Australia). What surprised me is that while there are obviously gaps in high school education funds are being used to build professional level stadiums for a bunch of school kids. Although I now understand how they are funded used because of Welkins post and no longer see a problem.
like I said, most Americans don't give a crap about Australia. you're just mad because here you thought you're "first world special" and you come across another American and he/she doesn't even know where you're from, or even care for that matter. so much for your pride, ay? that's all this is about. your ego is bruised and now you're taking it out on the rest of us. nothing more nothing less. like I said, you wouldn't know much about the rest of the world either. every European prick does it. the shoe just happens to be on the other foot. apparently, the only subject Americans are not good at is Geography.... how dare these Americans not know who we are... they must be dumb as shit. after all, we live and breath their culture and here they are they don't even acknowledge us. boohoo!!!

when you're raised in the most powerful and advanced nation the human race has ever witnessed, chances are you don't care much about the outside world since they're influence is limited if not non-existence. that's the American perspective. I don't condone it but I understand it. for every dumb American there are many smart ones. lumping us all together and saying stupid things is laughable. there are many things to criticize America. this is not one of them. and don't worry about our Education system or take shots at our nation. our one state alone produces more scientists than your entire nation. that's a fact.

have a good day, mate!

let's get back to enjoying pics, shall we?
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #98
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
like I said, most Americans don't give a crap about Australia.
true, but has no relevence to anything I or anyone else has posted.
you're just mad because here you thought you're "first world special" and you come across another American and he/she doesn't even know where you're from, or even care for that matter. so much for your pride, ay?
nothing to do with pride, just astonishment at the ignorance

that's all this is about. your ego is bruised and now you're taking it out on the rest of us. nothing more nothing less. like I said, you wouldn't know much about the rest of the world either.
Just for your information I have travelled around Europe, North America, South America, Asia and the Pacific.

every European prick does it. the shoe just happens to be on the other foot. apparently, the only subject Americans are not good at is Geography.... how dare these Americans not know who we are... they must be dumb as shit. after all, we live and breath their culture and here they are they don't even acknowledge us. boohoo!!!
?

when you're raised in the most powerful and advanced nation the human race has ever witnessed,
Obviously your education system is also lacking in the history department

chances are you don't care much about the outside world since they're influence is limited if not non-existence. that's the American perspective. I don't condone it but I understand it. for every dumb American there are many smart ones.
For god sake read my first post on this thread, I did say that America has some of the smartest and best educated in the world.

lumping us all together and saying stupid things is laughable. there are many things to criticize America. this is not one of them. and don't worry about our Education system or take shots at our nation. our one state alone produces more scientists than your entire nation. that's a fact.
Where do you get your facts from?

have a good day, mate!

let's get back to enjoying pics, shall we?
Seriously, I was just wondering why you have/need such impressive facilities in your schools there is no need to turn it into an us versus them argument.
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #99
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Seriously, I was just wondering why you have/need such impressive facilities in your schools there is no need to turn it into an us versus them argument.
it probably wouldn't have if you didn't smear the americans as dumb and call their favourite sport "boring" don't you think?
JYDA no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #100
mike7743

yeah, because ancient Romans, Greeks, Egyptians or the 18th century British were all more powerful and advanced than current USA...

anyways, moving on.

edit: the post above.

Closed Thread