daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #101
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
it probably wouldn't have if you didn't smear the americans as dumb and call their favourite sport "boring" don't you think?

my northern brother!

seriously, it's not like we said anything bad about the Aussies. he's taking a dumb on our favorite sport. how does he feel if I tell him to go hump a Kangaroo or something.

*rolls eyes*

Last edited by mike7743; April 6th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
mike7743 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #102
RDSA

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Seriously, I was just wondering why you have/need such impressive facilities in your schools there is no need to turn it into an us versus them argument.
and yet you're completely oblivious to what happens in your own country.

Why don't you get down from from you ivory tower and look around.

You'll see as 'vanbasten88' described, most high schools in Australia have very basic facilities and perhaps they run and U14 and U16 aussierules(or league/soccer) team depending on state/region and a netball (for the girls). and thats it. They certainly won't have rowing team, FFS
RDSA está en línea ahora  
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #103
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSA View Post
and yet you're completely oblivious to what happens in your own country.

Why don't you get down from from you ivory tower and look around.

You'll see as 'vanbasten88' described, most high schools in Australia have very basic facilities and perhaps they run and U14 and U16 aussierules(or league/soccer) team depending on state/region and a netball (for the girls). and thats it. They certainly won't have rowing team, FFS
In response to that, you have no idea who I am so don't talk shit. I did go to a private school but that does not mean I condone the way they throw away money and abuse government funding. I actually find it quite offensive they take so much from parents and the government and then spend millions of dollars on advertising.

I apologise for starting this argument so I will explain myself so we can bring this back on topic. At the start when I said American football was a boring sport I was joking, I know the internet does not express things like that overly well. To be honest I find the game a bit boring, probably because I do not know/understand it but I do actually like the carnival atmosphere, bands, etc.. which go with it.
I did not mean to call Americans dumb, I was just highlighting that EVERY country has deficiencies in there education and could spend funding on more productive things than fancy stadia. although that is irelevent as it has since been pointed out that it is actually not payed for by the schools. I should also admit that recently seeing some American's saying that Japan deserved the earthquake/tsunami (I do realise this is not representative of America as a whole) has given me a bit of resentment towards America.

Sorry if I have caused any offence, none was intended. now I will leave this thread so it can get back on topic.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #104
mike7743

Quote:
I should also admit that recently seeing some American's saying that Japan deserved the earthquake/tsunami (I do realise this is not representative of America as a whole) has given me a bit of resentment towards America.

dude, you just don't stop, do you? did you also hear the stories about Americans giving the most aid whenever a natural disaster happen, making us one of the most generous nations on earth?

or did you just conveniently missed that part about Americans?

also, should I blame all Aussies and call them "savages" for their treatment of Aboriginals?

ahhh, this is just pointless. you're just a hater. let's get back on topic please.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #105
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Quote:
I should also admit that recently seeing some American's saying that Japan deserved the earthquake/tsunami (I do realise this is not representative of America as a whole) has given me a bit of resentment towards America.
That statement is not representative of America - even a little. It's like me overhearing an Australian say he shits glazed donuts and I suspect in the back of my head some Aussies shit glazed donuts.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #106
mike7743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
That statement is not representative of America - even a little. It's like me overhearing an Australian say he shits glazed donuts and I suspect in the back of my head some Aussies shit glazed donuts.
hahaha!

I love how he's a "well traveled and well educated" man but it only takes a few quotes from individuals (out of hundreds of millions of people) for him to make up his mind about an entire country.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #107
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Street Tavern View Post
No wonder Texas produces a great number of Division I athletes every year. It's hard to compete against schools with facilities like that.
When it comes to football Florida and especially South Florida produce more talent than anywhere in the country and we don't have anything near what i'm seeing Texas has. There are some pretty nice facilities but they're in completely different standards.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #108
mike7743

Actually, Texas is ranked lower than Florida and California in terms of producing athletes. in California though, many schools have decent if not best sports facilities.
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #109
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

BACK TO TOPIC...

Ramona High School Stadium, Riverside, California

Hillsboro Stadium, Hillsboro, Oregon

Commandant no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #110
Commandant

Some pics of the Christmas Bowl played in Ajinomoto Stadium, Chōfu, Tokyo, Japan (thanks to www.waseda.jp for the pics)

From wikipedia
Quote:
The Christmas Bowl is the annual Japanese high-school American football championship game. In a way similar to the Super Bowl, the top two teams from throughout Japan play against each other for the championship. As with most American Football leagues, the league setup is split into two regions — Kantō and Kansai — and the champions of each region play in the Christmas Bowl. It takes place on even years in Kansai and on odd years in Kantō.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #111
Commandant

Another stadium that hosts high school football in Japan:

Oji Stadium, Kobe City, Hyogo Prefecture
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #112
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

I had no idea they even played American football in Japan, awesome
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #113
matthemod

Likes (Received): 96

Not attempting to rile anyone up, but is the painting of soccer (it pains me to say that) lines on the American Football turf widespread in U.S. high school stadiums? I understand the difference in terms of popularity but can these schools really not find a patch of grass suitable instead of forcing both on one? I've played soccer on an American Football turf before and good lord it was confusing.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #114
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Not attempting to rile anyone up, but is the painting of soccer (it pains me to say that) lines on the American Football turf widespread in U.S. high school stadiums? I understand the difference in terms of popularity but can these schools really not find a patch of grass suitable instead of forcing both on one? I've played soccer on an American Football turf before and good lord it was confusing.
Not only soccer, but Lacrosse and Field Hockey as well. Some fields even have their baseball diamond use part of the field as well, union city for example:

although Baseball generally gets its own complex.

It's simply cheaper to have one field that can be used for every sport than multiple expensive fields.
Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #115
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

That's really how it looks all the time?

Ouch.

I guess you can't just simply erase paint from turf though

Also that soccer field is pretty narrow
hngcm no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #116
vanbasten88

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
hahaha!

I love how he's a "well traveled and well educated" man but it only takes a few quotes from individuals (out of hundreds of millions of people) for him to make up his mind about an entire country.
For a well traveled and well educated man, he obviously didn't bother to travel to his basic manners class at his preposterously expensive private school. Insulting an entire country of 300 million based on the inane questions of one or two individuals, not to mention belittling sports(even in jest) loved by many millions isn't just bad manners its pure arrogance and embarrassing for me as an Aussie to be honest. Different doesn't have to mean wrong, it is supposed to be one of the first things you learn if you bother to travel. Going on your user name mvictory, I am going to guess that you are from Melbourne, not just Australia's self declared sporting capital, but the centre of all arrogance in our country if you ask residents of other states(particularly NSW and SA!). Do us all a favour mv and switch to "read only mode" for a while eh, let the grown ups have discussions and you might learn something.
vanbasten88 no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #117
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
That really depends on how much space (and to an extent money) there is, in inner cities they will almost always have combined field. At suburban and rural schools its a mix, though often there will be a separate soccer field and often practice fields as well (may or may not be regulation size). The high school I went to for instance has a combined football/track/soccer stadium and a half sized field sometimes used for additional practice space. Although the field is kind of narrow for soccer and its pretty easy to end up on the track when tackling near the sides.
Benn no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #118
Commandant

High School football in these ballparks:

Regions Park, Hoover High School, Hoover, Alabama

Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium, Newark, New Jersey

Point Stadium, Bishop McCort High School, Johnstown, Pennsylvania

PNC Field, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #119
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10822

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbasten88 View Post
I've been out of HS for a while now(34yo) but in my time, we had intra-school events. Most schools are divided up into 4 houses(red, yellow, green and blue - usually named after famous alumi) and each school will have a "sports day" and perhaps a "swimming carnival" where the house with the most points "wins" the day. As most schools don't have their own facilities, the students will be bused to a local community athletics stadium for "sports day" or community aquatic complex for "Swimming carnival"
At my school [a small to mid sized private catholic high school] we had school teams for Soccer and Australian Rules Football(Winter) and Cricket in Summer who would play other similarly sized private schools(private = not govt funded), but it is very rare the student body would take an interest in these events - Hell I don't even think we had team nicknames or an official school mascot. I don't know what the public schools(govt funded) do/did, but I imagine it isn't much different. I do remember the First XI being presented their uniform Soccer shirt (with a special school jumper to be worn with our school uniform at a school assembly once trials and selection had taken place, but I never saw other students at our games. Its the weekend and they had better things to do I imagine.
We were just referred to as the "Insert School name First XI"(11 = soccer)[i.e the St Joseph's* First XI] through to the fourth XI and the "School Name" First, Second or Third XVIII (18 = Australian Rules Footy[ARF]). At games it was mostly just friends and family in attendance. The bigger private schools certainly have their own gymnasiums and athletic facilities paid for by wealthy donors and/or high annual 'tuition' fees. If you are any good at sport here, you play for a local community based club and it is in this way that you are selected for higher honours such as zone representative teams(city North, city south etc) then state rep teams. For ARF, the state teams lead into the state based minor leagues, from which you can be drafted into the AFL. For Soccer, the state based minor league teams act as feeders into the A-League, but there is no formal draft in Soccer, just scouting. Hence the current AFC player of the year Sasa Ognenovski was playing in the level below the A-League only 3 years ago before being 'discovered' and signed by Brisbane Roar FC. He transferred to Adelaide United FC (my team) before being sold to Seongnam Ilwa(sp?) in the Korean K-League last year. He has since made his debut for the senior men's team, the Socceroos and was a fixture in the defence that came runners up to Japan in the last Asian cup (in Qatar2011) Basically school sports play second fiddle to local community based sporting clubs in most if not all sports in Australia. Thus High Schools just don't have a need for opulent and/or extravagant facilities here. The local City Councils(roughly county equivalents) develop and maintain sports facilities for community clubs to use as part of their remit to provide recreation facilities to their communities.

*not my school name
That makes sense. You have a club based system where as here in Canada athletes get funneled from high schools to colleges and then to the pros. Hockey in Canada has 2 competing systems (they also have a club system). This has led to college football and college basketball being a bigger deal that college hockey.

Red, green, yellow, & blue? Sounds like the UK system.

Metro Bowl, Toronto
image hosted on flickr

The Metro Bowl is the championship game for high school Canadian football in Toronto. It's held at the Skydome (Rogers Centre), but usually only attracts a few thousand fans. Skydome isn't a high school football stadium, but one built for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. The Toronto Blue Jays baseball team also play there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 8th, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #120
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

http://www.carolinapreps.com/ssp/stadiums

This site has a database of North Carolina's high school stadiums. You can see how tiny most of them are.

Cherokee's is really nice, but I don't think they have pictures of it on there.
Bobby3 no está en línea  

Closed Thread