daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #381
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

I was by couple of days ago and the excavations are well under way. from the looks of it it is about 50 ft down and schist parts all over the place. are they building and underground garage there?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #382
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

According to this doc in a filing, It looks like the 2nd separate building in this development will have 15 floors

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #383
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

Very reminiscence of 15 Central Park West that had the two towers joined by a glass enclosed lobby

DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #384
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28300

My own building has such a feature as well. A good way of creating large lobby's.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:41 PM   #385
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Construction Update: 217 West 57th Street & 220 Central Park South

http://newyorkyimby.com

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:51 PM   #386
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I love that last shot. These two towers are literally on top of each other.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:07 PM   #387
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Yeah I was just marveling at that. Let's hope the cranes don't get in each other's way!
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #388
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

I love the prospecte of watching 2 towers rise almost simultanuously, so close to each other.
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #389
Vertical_Gotham

Today’s salacious skyscraper gossip of the day!

We all know the Zeckendorf’s are constructing basically a taller carbon copy of 15 CPW with 520 Park Avenue and there’s some gossip concerning 220 Central Park South courtesy from the master of whisperers himself aka “The Spider” due to his vast web of intelligence sources pertaining Billionaire’s row… Michael Gross.

Copycat condo? A mystery at Robert A.M. Stern’s 220 Central Park South.
http://mgross.com/gripebox/copycat-c...al-park-south/

Quote:
If I was Arthur or Will Zeckendorf, I’d want to sue somebody. In the run-up to the publication of House of Outrageous Fortune, I saw but didn’t dwell on a scoop on curbed.com revealing renderings of Fifteen Central Park West architect Robert A.M. Stern’s design for competing developer Vornado’s new 220 Central Park South condominium, just a block and a bit away. (The renderings have since vanished from the web site of Australia’s Sunlab Architecture , but they’re archived on curbed and sampled at right and below). Stern’s hiring for that project was first revealed on Gripepad two years ago this week.

Now, a knowledgeable source tells me that Fifteen’s developers were livid that Stern had offered up another two-structure apartment house with a low front building and a tower behind (like 15), a motor courtyard entered from a side street (like 15′s), another reflecting pool and round fountain (yep, 15 has one of each). And 220 is clad in limestone, too. Even if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this vision of 220 CPS could be easily nicknamed the House of Outrageous Plagiarism.

Neither Arthur nor Will Zeckendorf would comment on the record, but a source at Zeckendorf Development says they’ve been told that Vornado used images based on 15CPW while seeking financing for its building, and that the final design will be “totally different.” Asked for comment, Stern’s spokesman responded, “I know what we’re saying: The leaked renderings do not represent the design as it’s developing.” Pressed to clarify, he continued, “You’re trying to get me to say more than I can say.” He did add that Stern’s role at 220CPS might be in flux, too. “Another firm might be involved, but not in the architecture.” He also said, “Ask Vornado.” But Vornado’s spokeswoman declined to comment.

XoXo
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #390
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Today’s salacious skyscraper gossip of the day!

We all know the Zeckendorf’s are constructing basically a taller carbon copy of 15 CPW with 520 Park Avenue and there’s some gossip concerning 220 Central Park South courtesy from the master of whisperers himself aka “The Spider” due to his vast web of intelligence sources pertaining Billionaire’s row… Michael Gross.

Copycat condo? A mystery at Robert A.M. Stern’s 220 Central Park South.
http://mgross.com/gripebox/copycat-c...al-park-south/

XoXo
That's funny considering the fact that 15 CPW is an exact copy (only taller) of a building on 5th Avenue in the 60's. Can't think of the name of it, but it is easily seen from Central Park.

edit: Found it. OK, it's not exact, but very close.

1040 5th Avenue

15 Central Park West

Dubrovnik liked this post

Last edited by SMCYB; May 20th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:15 AM   #391
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Didn't Stern design 15 CPW too? It's not plagiarism if it's your own work... Stern is just riffing on his work. My concern is the claim that Vornado really doesn't intend 220 Park to look like the renderings. What are we getting there, exactly?

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM   #392
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

It's hard to believe that this is a real conflict. The Zeckendorfs have already made their money off of 15CPW. It doesn't matter that 220 bears a passing resemblance. Their new tower is in a totally different neighborhood too. And it's not like the great architects of the past always made different looking buildings. Just look at the San Remo and El Dorado:

The big issue is what will 220 look like. The construction diagram cuts off the crown completely. And Vornado has a bad reputation.

hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #393
Vertical_Gotham

The Zeckendorf's real issue is 220 CPS and Zecks 520 Park is pretty much competing for the same prospective buyers who wants to be in a Stern Designed tower located near the park.

If you ask me, 220 CPS is a bit better location because you literally have Central Park as your back yard, plus 220 CPS will have the Motor court as 520 Park will not. To me.. 220 CPS would have the edge if you are competing for the same buyers.

I'm fairly sure , ultimately we will not be disappointed with Sterns revised design for 220 CPS even though I really digged the initial leaked out renderings.

Some news on the project via WSJ.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...339860904.html

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust is in talks with a Qatar sovereign-wealth fund to finance its planned 950-foot condominium tower on Central Park South in Manhattan, according to multiple people familiar with the talks.

The Qatar Investment Authority would provide hundreds of millions of dollars of financing for the tower that, like other condos rising in the area, would target the super-rich.

Qatar Investment Authority and Vornado declined to comment.

The deal, if completed, would help Vornado meet its goal of building the tower without putting in any additional money.

The company has reported spending about $510 million so far on the site and is digging its foundation. But land values have soared since it first purchased the site in 2005, allowing Vornado to draw on its value by borrowing against it.

"This project will self-finance," according to Steven Roth, Vornado's chief executive officer, in the company's annual shareholder letter last

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:04 PM   #394
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

The Zeckendorf's argument has to be one of the most pathetic and one of the worst example of greed I've ever heard.
You can walk all over the city or even same blocks and see buildings similar in styles, what, they wanna change the rules of development around the city, no developer can replicate other well designed buildings, especially from the same architect?
Besides they made gazillions with 15CPW, why would they care if there's a similar development in the area.
I think VG is right and it has more to do with an even better design competing with their current development at 520 Park, well that's capitalism fellas, the better product wins. Besides I have very little doubt 520 Park will be quite successful too, which makes it even more lame on their part.

Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #395
Vertical_Gotham

The Other Bob Sterns: House Partners on Giving the People What They Want

Robert A.M. Stern Architects House Partners Roger Seifter and Randy Correll on modest-looking mansions, Martha's Vineyard and what real New Yorkers want

http://observer.com/2014/05/the-othe...hat-they-want/

Quote:
Many of the firm’s most popular buildings in New York have been old-fashioned designs. Do you think there’s a shift away from very modern, glassy architecture?

Mr. Correll: I don’t think we’ve seen that. Although I think both 15 CPW and the new building we’re doing at 220 Central Park South are attracting a more New York-based crowd. Many of our house clients want an apartment in those buildings. Whereas no one we know is moving into 157 W. 57th St. That’s a different market. It’s maybe how people who don’t live in New York perceive how they should be living in NY. I don’t think a real New Yorker would be comfortable in that building.
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #396
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5312

Old June 18th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #397
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...pdateorama.php

Quote:
Permits have been approved for Vornado's 950-foot-tall limestone tower at 220 Central Park South, and the Schedule a filing provides a bit more information on the project. As previously reported, it consists of two buildings: a 66-story tower, and a 17-story "villa." The 160 residences will be spread out over both, with the villa holding most full-floor homes. Most amenities are unspecified, but there will definitely be a library and rooftop terrace.

xXFallenXx, citybooster liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #398
Jean Valjean 24601
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

I look forward to seeing the final design.
Jean Valjean 24601 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:58 AM   #399
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5312

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #400
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

nice, those scratch marks in the 2nd. Must be quite tough, digging in this rock formation

Tags
220 central park, 220 central park south, 220 cps, central park south, cps, new york, nyc, vornado