daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #701
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

I liked the original design better in all honesty. I felt like it was a more modern version of art deco but this is basically 30 Park Place 2.0. I've never liked the idea of a 1930s building being built in 2016.

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #702
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58051

We'll see more modernized versions of Art Deco anyway, don't you worry.
We're slowly getting there.

But as I said multiple times: To evolutionise or even improve something as grand, graceful and almost perfect as Art Nouveau or Art Deco, you need to build them beforehand. Architects were unable to design classical buildings of such quality for decades, but they need to master it in order to develop beyond that.

We can't forget our western architectural roots if we want to create something great again. That's why early modernism so often was much better than what we've seen in recent times; early modernists still understood and mastered the classical toolbox.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #703
Torch

Likes (Received): 1015

IMO the transition between shaft and crown is too abrupt. It's basically a box with a hat.

There is another thing that worries me a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
January 2nd
You can see the blind wall facing the street, which will contain the stairs and elevators. It's basically the core of the building. It will run up the entire facade. I hope they will find a pleasing solution to cover it up.

The following floor plans show a full floor apartment and a penthouse. Even though the elevator shaft is not shown, the left out part and the description "elevator lobby" indicates where the core will be.

49th floor

Penthouse

Source Real Deal
Although revealed in March 2015, the floor plans belong to the new design. You can see the boxy layout and balconies.

Zaz965, erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Torch; January 29th, 2016 at 02:32 AM.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #704
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31810

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
This.

The balconies look like sh!t but are understandable from a sales perspective. But losing the curvature is no small "adjustment". The curvature gave the tower a sophisticated take on historicism that has now apparently yielded to a fully cubed-out pile of contextual ho hum. If I had laid down a deposit I'd be angry over the clumsy bait and switch.

Hopefully these renders are not a final design but just a mockup of the balconies. They are too grainy and useless for marketing purposes. I'm hoping this is just Stern doing a DW Griffith impression with these Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
Agreed 100%. I could not really pin point what is about the new design that does not impress me as the original until I realize it is the loss of the curvature of the facade that has "cheapened" the design into a boxy rendition of its former silhouette.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:01 AM   #705
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post

You can see the blind wall facing the street, which will contain the stairs and elevators. It's basically the core of the building. It will run up the entire facade. I hope they will find a pleasing solution to cover it up.
The exterior wall facing south is a complete departure from the original design:

I am so disappointed.
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #706
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Imo the redesign is gorgeous. I hated the old design. Especially the old crown.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:23 AM   #707
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

I think it's a nice change. Didn't make me change my opinion of the tower; still love it.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #708
Torch

Likes (Received): 1015

I see the economic benefits for the new design:
It will probably be cheaper to build. It will have more floor space, because the core is not in the center and the tower is now boxy. Also balconies towards Central Park are a plus. It's something One57 and 432 Park Avenue lack. It also seems to me the new design will have more floors (penthouse floor plan says 77th floor). But I Iike the old one more. Its shape was so elegant.

At least we now know, why the concrete structure didn't fit the old renderings.

Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #709
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

The new design has a lot more in common with 240 Central Park South than One Wall Street, just look at the crowns with three slits on 240 and the rendering. It's a lot more blocky and geometric and lacks some of the elegance of the original design. It's clearly a much more accurate rendering too based on what's been built.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #710
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I like the original proposal better. A bit sad with these changes.
I agree 100% wholeheartedly.
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #711
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

This is how I feel about this

https://youtu.be/8EjNa8Ukg_0?t=22s
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #712
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

I consider myself a modernist, but I'm rooting for a more genuine revival of Art Deco, because those balconies remind me of Dubai Marina and I am not very sure that we want so much postmodernism in New York City, because the city already has so many nice looking historical buildings.

Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #713
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post

I wonder if this is a change that resulted from the Central Park Tower being announced to be built right across the street from the southern facade of 220 Central Park South. Before CPT, CPS had great views of midtown and downtown to the south but not anymore after CPT. Maybe it was a wise choice so the residents of CPS do not have to look directly across to their CPT neigbors.

JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #714
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

I've figured out how I feel about it: the new design is just as good as the old design, but it's missing one thing... originality. The old design took art deco and added a modernity to it, whereas the new design is simply art deco. I love art deco; I'm joint pointing out what I feel it lost in the redesign. But it's still going to look great.
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #715
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

I wouldn't judge the design solely on these renderings anyway. Renderings hardly capture the look of masonry towers accurately. Whatever goes up will look much better in full limestone.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #716
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

This is a good point. Let's just hope that they don't decide to clad the upper floors in concrete to save on the cost of limestone.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #717
rusgomat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

2 bad it's going to overshadow permanently a significant - although everchanging - slice of the park

rusgomat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #718
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

Old design is better in my opinion. Older design is more symmetrical, doesn't have those awful balconies and has a more outstanding spire. New design looks just like a taller 15 Central Park West. Still a decent design, built not it looks like it lost it's uniqueness.

LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #719
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58051

Was there really a curvature on the old design btw? It could also be due to somewhat distorted rendering perspectives. Maybe an older floor plan would tell us more.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #720
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Very disappointing. The old design was much better. Looking at the two renders side by side the new one looks like it should be the older one.

seb.nl, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
220 central park, 220 central park south, 220 cps, central park south, cps, new york, nyc, vornado