daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #761
sscjefco

Likes (Received): 134

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #762
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Ooh, they started cladding!

Is that blank wall going to have fake windows all the way up?
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #763
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Is that blank wall going to have fake windows all the way up?
Hah! I didn't even realize what I looking at. I'd put money down that that's the plan. As long as it's executed properly (like the upper mech floors at 432 Park), it should only be noticeable by us skyscraper nerds.

SMCYB liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #764
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

So, basically, first we had a concrete facade that pretended to be sandstone, now we have windows that pretend to be....windows. Well what can I say, flawless, a real Art Deco experience.

TallestKidOnTheBlock, SMCYB, seb.nl liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #765
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

I love this building!
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #766
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

what incredible attention to detail, cost be damned!
where else in new york do developments take care of the damned blank walls this way??

if only everyone loved new york the way stern does this would be such a nicer world

Eastern37, obses liked this post
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #767
Architecture lover

Maybe they should have designed a building with real windows. But since the whole world seems to be building parodies of buildings, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #768
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Maybe they should have designed a building with real windows. But since the whole world seems to be building parodies of buildings, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
blank walls have a purpose

it's how you choose to treat the look of it that matters

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #769
Architecture lover

Oh wow I feel so enlightened! So thanks for telling me the blank wall has some purpose, but whatever that purpose is, it probably could have been incorporated in the design more properly.

seb.nl, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #770
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

Stern is not abad architect and this building is not a complete disaster, the cladding is alright and I am still looking forward to this building. Even though I would much rather have real windows the false front on this building is alright. The thing about this project that it most amazing is the speed of construction. Damn this is the fastest building to ever go up in New York.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #771
5am

Likes (Received): 39

All of the glass buildings (One57, One World Trade Center) have tons of "fake" windows since their entire facades are coated in glass and nobody seems to care. Does it really matter if the windows are fake?

Eastern37, streetscapeer, xing lin liked this post
5am no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #772
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Oh wow I feel so enlightened! So thanks for telling me the blank wall has some purpose, but whatever that purpose is, it probably could have been incorporated in the design more properly.

Always so happy to see structural engineering geniuses here that could design a super narrow 1000' building without a solid core.
I'm not that smart so I just naturally assumed that even though they obviously would have preferred to have real windows it was simply not possible for structural reasons.
If you know better, definitely let them know, it worked out with the Citycorp building once.

jhalsey166, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #773
Architecture lover

Another day, another enlighter, lights shine. Next time read more carefully since I didn't even mention an "S" of being a structural engineer that could obviously fix this mess. They could have decided to go with a more modern design, in which a blank wall could have been incorporated in the design more properly, but guess what they decided to go with this tacky parody of a building, but why do I even care in this obviously way too conformistic world, more importantly I am not going to be living over there and that's for sure, but rather some other people with different definition for the word "taste".
If this makes you happier then ok: This tower will look marvelous once finished even with the windows that only pretend to be windows. Have a nice day.
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #774
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

Wow, progress is lightning fast!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #775
Architecture lover

We shouldn't worry one single second, it's the second decade of the 21 century an era like we couldn't possibly even imagine, an era where it's simply impossible to have real windows (for structural reasons) on a building that tends to have them even though there is no sustainable reason for them to be there since the structure does not allow that. But we will at least have buildings that tend to be the "perfect match" to the American Radiator Building.

Old March 29th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #776
ophizer

Quote:
you mean like leaving the wall blank?? which is the case in 99% of developments in new york right now

what could be more "integrated" into the design than building freaking windows from the ground floor up 1000 feet; windows that no one will every ever get to look out of

Old March 29th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #777
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophizer View Post
you mean like leaving the wall blank?? which is the case in 99% of developments in new york right now

what could be more "integrated" into the design than building freaking windows from the ground floor up 1000 feet; windows that no one will every ever get to look out of
Nothing. Nothing could be more integrated into the design than these lovely "windows". How the things started progressing from the concrete that looks like travertine to the windows that aren't actual windows, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future we see a building that's not an actual building. The saga with this windows made me so tired. Fine, build postmodern stuff, or whatever you want.

Old March 29th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #778
ophizer

Quote:
Nothing. Nothing could be more integrated into the design than these lovely "windows". How the things started progressing from the concrete that looks like travertine to the windows that aren't actual windows, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future we see a building that's not an actual building. The saga with this windows made me so tired. Fine, build postmodern stuff, or whatever you want.
so if not windows, how do you suggest "integrating" this better given the engineering challenges and windows on all three sides?

you mean keeping a whole slab of wall, all 1000 feet of it, in concrete?? travertine look or not

Old March 29th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #779
Architecture lover

I don't suggest anything, since I can't think of anything that could fix this. I never thought that a building like this would pass in NYC, but I almost forgot that people with suspicious taste will live over there, well I guess that explains everything.
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #780
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

I've often wondered why other architects haven't installed fake windows in their buildings. It will look a lot better than having a blank wall all the way up.

SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
220 central park, 220 central park south, 220 cps, central park south, cps, new york, nyc, vornado