daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #61
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 68

LDA search for green scheme development partner

The London Development Agency is seeking architects and development partners for a major new mixed scheme in east London, which it hopes will cash in on enthusiasm for the area in the run up to the 2012 Olympics.

Gallions Quarter, at the Albert Basin, will include 600 new homes built to “high environmental standards”.

“We are looking for partners who share our vision for east London,” said Peter Bishop, deputy chief executive of the LDA.

“We look forward to working with a development partner to build high-quality new homes and create a sustainable community.”

The LDA, which has substantial land holdings across east London and the Thames Gateway, announced in March its intention to seek development partners for a series of projects at the Albert Basin.

The selection project will be supported by the Climate Positive Development Program, a project of the Clinton Climate Initiative, and the US Green Building Council.

Meanwhile Feilden Clegg Bradley is working on another scheme of 200 zero carbon homes at a site just north of Gallions Quarter, also on LDA land.

It beat stiff competition from architects including Bill Dunster, Glenn Howells and Llewelyn Davies Yeang to win the Gallions Park project in 2007.

jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #62
jack_jones

Floating Village for Royal Docks

A pleasure garden and a floating village containing restaurants and bars could be on their way to the Royal Docks after Newham Council backed the developments in principle.

Members of the strategic planning committee were also told of a proposal for a block on the edge of the dock containing 200 homes and a hotel.

The works are part of a regeneration scheme for the area, which has seen the Siemens Pavilion and the cable car approved at a previous meeting.

Both the village and the garden were winners in last year's Meanwhile London competition run by Newham Council and the London Development Agency to kick-start further redevelopment for the area.

Called The Corniche, the floating village would be situated on the water in Royal Victoria Dock and is based around a floating swimming pool, inspired by European cities such as Berlin, Paris and Copenhagen.

It would include five restaurants, a bar and a cafe. The first phase, including the lido, would be open by next summer.

In the meeting on Tuesday councillors were told that the village would "reinforce the Royal Docks' economic role by embracing the opportunities for tourism and leisure".

The temporary pleasure garden, would be in place for three years. Based on the derelict ground on the southern side of Royal Victoria Dock, it would include gardens and a 15m dome for events and gigs.

It would also see a roll down cinema screen put on the side of Grade-II listed building Silo D.

Castlelands Construction is behind the hotel and residential development which would be based in Tidal Basin Road, to the north of Royal Victoria Dock.

It received approval from councillors at the meeting.

It will see a 25-storey building for homes and a 17-floor construction for the hotel. It will also include retail space and a health club.

The consultation produced 31 letters of objection from residents including those upset about the destruction of the historic but now derelict Tidal Basin Taver.

However, the committee were told that these were outweighed by the positive impacts of regeneration for the area.

The council report said it would "create an elegant landmark building" appropriate for a building "at the gateway to the Royal Docks".

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #63
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 271

Great I idea, will really liven that end of the basin up.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #64
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

Yep and it even shows the SS Robin. Guess there are few things happening in the Royal Docks that make the cable car worth while.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #65
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1770

SS Robin is already there (but next to the Millennium Mills).
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #66
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 8

I like how those plans say proposed siemens centre... that very same centre that is growing as we speak lol

very exciting times, Cant wait for next summer, nearly 1 year of living in the area and this is gonna get very lively around here.
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #67
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 816

I don't like the idea of cluttering up the Royal Docks. I love the large plane of flat water. It creates a sense of wide space and calm that is rare in London.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #68
*Nurse*
Take Your Meds!

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
I don't like the idea of cluttering up the Royal Docks. I love the large plane of flat water. It creates a sense of wide space and calm that is rare in London.
I agree. I wonder how much they are paying for the 'land', and to whom?
*Nurse* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #69
Rational Plan

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/ahmm-...022276.article

Feilden Clegg Bradley and Muf also on team for Gallions Quarter

AHMM and Maccreanor Lavington are among a team of architects chosen to design the Gallions Quarter in Newham, east London.

The London Development Agency selected the team, led by Notting Hill Housing Trust and which also includes Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and Muf Art & Architecture.

The winning team will now develop the area, which sits in the Albert Basin area of the Royal Docks, including construction of 700 new homes and 4,645sq m of retail and community space.

LDA director of development Stephen Kennard said Notting Hill had been chosen for its “high quality design standards”.

A planning application for Gallions Quarter will be submitted by January 2012, with the aim of completing construction by 2018.

Gallions Quarter is part of the wider regeneration of the Royal Docks which includes Stratford Village and the £500 million overhaul of Canning Town.

Old July 27th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #70
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
AHMM and Maccreanor Lavington are among a team of architects chosen to design the Gallions Quarter in Newham, east London.
Oh sweet Jesus, no!
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #71
rags

Likes (Received): 1

There is absolutely nothing happening at Minoco Wharf given the dates. In fact, I am not clear as to the plans, in that is the whole plan as stated in the drawings in this thread approved? If so, it really will look nice, I think. What are the start and end-dates for this wharf?

On a separate note, I am not sure how the sales of Barratt's waterside are going. Selling or struggling? I am asking because Minoco will bring so many units on to the market, in addition to Barrier Park east and Waterside, etc.,. Add to this the the Silvertown quays which may also have some residential units.

Rational Plan, any thoughts please?
rags no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #72
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 8

Just read The Docklands newspaper about this area saying there is plenty of interest in the area. I just realised that if they are looking for leisure and business to locate here so why not relocate the proposed ski slope here

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...611433.article
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #73
cle

Likes (Received): 328

Would it ever be possible for Thames Clippers/river buses to cut through the West Inda Millwall Docks, to avoid going around the Isle of Dogs?
cle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #74
Rational Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Would it ever be possible for Thames Clippers/river buses to cut through the West Inda Millwall Docks, to avoid going around the Isle of Dogs?
I'm not sure if there is an working Lock on the Western side anymore. Besides Locks take time to fill and empty, it would probably be slower.
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #75
Rational Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags View Post
There is absolutely nothing happening at Minoco Wharf given the dates. In fact, I am not clear as to the plans, in that is the whole plan as stated in the drawings in this thread approved? If so, it really will look nice, I think. What are the start and end-dates for this wharf?

On a separate note, I am not sure how the sales of Barratt's waterside are going. Selling or struggling? I am asking because Minoco will bring so many units on to the market, in addition to Barrier Park east and Waterside, etc.,. Add to this the the Silvertown quays which may also have some residential units.

Rational Plan, any thoughts please?
While I have always been fascinated by the process of Docklands regeneration, I no longer live near there and am not really up to date. I only really get stuff off line. So Housing companies don't tell people how sales are going until it's nearly sold out. You only know how confident a company is by how quickly they build and if the start other schemes near an existing one.

As for the pace of development I still feel South of the Royal Docks is more of a challenge to redevelop because it is so big. For years you've had patches where there are new buildings but the surrounding dereliction still drags the area down.

The area near the exhibition centre had the advantage of being a narrow plot, where the wastelands hand all been scraped clean. Plus a big new exhibition centre to act as a hub for commercial activity, so the area never felt empty. Now with the cable car, siemens centre and these new floating restaurants the area is starting to transform into a commercial hub, where people might want to hang out in the leisure time.

Minoco is a big scheme, so even at top speed it will be a year before work starts and another year after that before they can start selling any flats. That should be enough to clear out the remaining stock of the others. Also Minoco will (fingers crossed) is starting at the right time in the economic cycle at the start of the recovery rather than the height of a boom.

Once it's finished it will connect the Park with the Dockside area and it will start to look like a cohesive area. At this point it might even revive development for the pontoon dock. Also as the planners seem to be saying they are willing to redevelop more wharfs. I suspect that in 15 years time the South Royal Docks West of the Connaught crossing will be all residential.

If the Docks takes off I wonder is it will delay the start of Barking riverside. I wonder how it will effect the DLR. I suspect they will be running a lot more Woolwich - Stratford services than Woolwich-Bank.

Last edited by Rational Plan; July 30th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #76
Plaistow

Likes (Received): 0

Canning Town will host UK's first self-watering eco-garden, from Newham Recorder.

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk:80/n...arden_1_978627
Plaistow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #77
jack_jones

Cle - There was plans to extend the Thames Clipper to Royal Albert Docks. Not sure whats going on with that though.

Last edited by jack_jones; August 9th, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #78
jack_jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/ahmm-...022276.article

Feilden Clegg Bradley and Muf also on team for Gallions Quarter

The London Development Agency selected the team, led by Notting Hill Housing Trust and which also includes Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and Muf Art & Architecture.

The winning team will now develop the area, which sits in the Albert Basin area of the Royal Docks, including construction of 700 new homes and 4,645sq m of retail and community space.

LDA director of development Stephen Kennard said Notting Hill had been chosen for its “high quality design standards”.

A planning application for Gallions Quarter will be submitted by January 2012, with the aim of completing construction by 2018.

Gallions Quarter is part of the wider regeneration of the Royal Docks which includes Stratford Village and the £500 million overhaul of Canning Town.

Thanks Rational Plan. Do you no when construction will start on this? or likely to start?

Found a new website marketing the royal docks - http://www.royaldockslondon.com/

Last edited by jack_jones; August 9th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #79
jack_jones

Some more information:

The Gallions Quarter project will include 700 homes and 50,000 sq ft of retail and community space.

Galliford Try will construct 170 homes in the second phase of the 700-home development as part of the major regeneration of the Royal Docks area for the London Development Agency.

The contract will be worth £23m to Galliford Try, with construction on the second phase set to begin in May 2013. United House and Durkan will work with Notting Hill on the other two phases.

Proposals drawn up for Notting Hill Housing by the design team are expected to be submitted for planning in January 2012 with the project scheduled for completion by 2018.

I wonder what the first phase is then?

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #80
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 188

Design proposals invited for £22bn Silvertown Quays regeneration scheme

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/de...heme_1_1017934

Lee peart writing in Docklands 24 reports that:

Friday, September 9, 2011
1:04 PM
Seven developers are being invited to come up with design proposals for the £22billion regeneration of Silvertown Quays.
The London Development Agency (LDA), in partnership with Newham Council, is asking the shortlist of property developers to come up with plans for the 50-acre site by October 10.
The seven developers, announced today, are St George Central London, Development Securities Consortium, Hutchinson Whampoa, Stanhope, The British Land Company, Chelsfield Consortium and DV4.
Lurene Joseph, LDA chief executive, said: “The opportunities in the Royal Docks - at Silvertown Quays and the Royal Albert Dock - are attracting interest from some of the biggest developers and investors.
“We are pleased with the high level of market interest and we are looking forward to seeing their proposals to turn these sites into world class developments - urban centres with thriving businesses, high quality jobs and first class communities.”
A spokesman for the LDA said there had also been strong interest in the 35-acre Royal Albert Dock site, and that potential investors for that area would be briefed at an open day next week.
The LDA will then, with the support of London and Partners, promote the Royal Albert Dock site to potential Chinese investors later this month.
Regeneration plans for the Royal Docks were announced by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales in July 2010, including the creation of more than 6,000 jobs.
Unquote

None of the media reporting appears to point out that the site borders the runway and is under the flight path of the London City Airport – this will surely have to be a restricted height development. Will it be worth the figure they are looking for?

http://www.silvertown-quays.com/

http://www.silvertown-quays.com/location
Mwmbwls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
docklands, east london, royal docks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: