daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #81
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 69

A new video of the Thames Cable Car named the Emirates Air Line has been released. Also found one for the Siemens center:

Last edited by jack_jones; November 15th, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #82
TheWalker
TheWalker

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks jack jones, great videos
TheWalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #83
jack_jones

Another hotel for the Royals Business Park:

Launch of the Royal Albert Dock Hotel

Principal International are pleased to announce the launch of a new London Hotel Investment Opportunity, the Royal Albert Dock Hotel in the Royal Docks, which will operate under the Holiday Inn Express brand.

This hotel will be sympathetic to the surrounds of the Royal Albert Dock, built in the style of the dock warehouses and will be arranged over 4-floors. The hotel will offer 204 rooms with the accommodation being arranged over floors 1-3. The ground floor will incorporate the reception area, in addition to a 125 cover restaurant, bar, lounge and meeting rooms. Car parking facilities are also available to hotel guests and visitors. Construction is scheduled to commence in February 2012 and completion is targeted for the Q1 2013.

London is the most visited city in the world, attracting 27 million overnight visitors per year. The Royal Albert Dock Hotel is situated 7 miles from central London and is close to many of London’s major tourist sights, attractions and its business hub of Canary Wharf.

The ExCeL (exhibition centre London) is merely half a mile from the hotel and since 2000 has welcomed over 5 million visitors; the centre has a capacity for 70,000 visitors per day, which produces a huge demand for hotel accommodation in the area. London City Airport is conveniently located 1.5 miles away, which served 2.8 million passengers in 2010 and has expansion plans to serve 8 million passengers per year. The O2 Arena is now the world’s busiest arena, with an audience capacity of 23,000 it attracts over 2 million visitors per year and is situated just 2 miles from the Royal Albert Dock Hotel. The project also enjoys great transport links, not only with the increasing services at London City Airport, but also excellent road and rail links.

The area currently has a frustrated demand within the hotel sector, especially when there are events on at the O2 Arena and ExCeL. Research has indicated that the projected returns can not only be achieved, buy have the possibility to be exceeded.

Last edited by jack_jones; February 9th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #84
newbie11

Likes (Received): 12

Does anyone know where exactly is this new hotel? I am curious over it's investment proposal.. Will u consider investing? I have queries with the resale/ secondary potential, noise from airport, management council as it's strata titled.. It's being launched in Singapore where I am based.

Last edited by newbie11; October 20th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
newbie11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #85
jack_jones

Topping out ceremony held for Siemens’ Crystal development in Royal Docks

The name of a new urban sustanability centre being built in east London has been announced.

The Crystal is being built by Siemens, which today celebrated reaching the highest point in the construction of the project.

The Siemens Centre was heralded as a "catalyst for job creation" for the East End's new blue chip zone during its topping out ceremony on Wednesday.

Costing £30million the Crystal is due to open in June next year.

It will host a free exhibition on urban living and the environmental challenges of the future, and is also being marketed as a global hub for “thought leadership on urban sustainability”.

Speaking at the topping out ceremony for the Crystal today London Mayor Boris Johnson said: “This is leading the way for the regeneration of this whole area.”

Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Give me companies like Siemens and we can transform the East End.

“The big thing Siemens is bringing is aspiration.”

The building, which is in two crystal-shaped sections covering an area of just under 2,000 metre squared, will result in the creation of 50 jobs and coontain conference facilities, research space, a restaurant, a cafe and a shop.

Andreas J. Goss, chief executive of Siemens plc, said: “The Crystal will be an iconic new centre of expertise when it opens to the public next year.

“Through this initiative Siemens continues to invest in the UK and to be a pioneer in the most innovative and sustainable technologies, inspiring a new generation of engineers and scientists.”
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #86
jack_jones

Trio make final shortlist for east London development - Silvertown Quays

Three companies have made the final shortlist to carry out the development of a 50-acre site in east London’s Royal Docks, Boris Johnson has announced.

It is hoped the Silvertown Quays site, which is within the new Royal Docks Enterprise Zone, will help bring quality jobs and a sustainable community to the former docks site. The proposals submitted by developers could mark the first steps towards unlocking the economic potential of the east London area.

The three remaining bidders are:

- Chelsfield Consortium (Chelsfield Partners LLP, First Base Limited and Imagination Europe Limited)
- DV4 Limited (advised by Delancey Real Estate Asset Management Limited) (Delancey)
- St George Central London Limited

Chelsfield Consortium, made up of First Base Limited, Imagination Europe Limited and Chelsfield Partners LLP, and St George Central London Limited have both made the final shortlist announced by the Mayor of London. DV4 Limited, advised by Delancey Real Estate Management Limited, is the third company on the final shortlist.

Johnson said: “Silvertown Quays has a very bright future that will help drive the regeneration of east London. I look forward to seeing inspiring ideas that rise to the challenge we have set. I want to see lasting jobs created and new sustainable communities emerge from this prime development opportunity which also acts as a catalyst for change across the wider area that has been neglected for so long.”

The three shortlisted developers will work with the London Development Agency to generate detailed plans which meet the Mayor of Newham and Johnson’s ambition to create a world class site.

London Development Agency chief executive Lurene Joseph said: “I am delighted that Silvertown Quays has attracted the interest from the top tier of British developers. This confirms the scale of the opportunity on the future of this landmark site. We are now looking to the shortlisted developers to come up with detailed proposals that match our ambition to transform Silvertown Quays into a thriving world class urban centre. We look forward to selecting a final preferred developer in March 2012.”

The bids of the shortlisted developers were chosen because of their ambition, innovation and potential to deliver. The trio will now work with Newham Council and the London Development Agency to move their ideas on further.

Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Interest from businesses wanting to invest in the borough will increase as we head toward the Olympics, helping us to create a lasting legacy of sustainable employment for our residents. The Royal Docks is ripe for investment and today’s announcement shows that we’re serious about making the area a business powerhouse.”

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #87
Esen

Likes (Received): 0

Any one know whats going on with this project?

The Allies & Morrisons Outline plan for Comprehensive mixed-use redevelopment of the redundant British Gas Lands around Winsor Terrace in Beckton, East London. The plan known as Beckton Waterfront, includes up to 1,500 dwellings, business, hotel, nursing, retail and community spaces, as well as a large riverfront park.

The A&M masterplan has unfortunately ignored CABE's advice to include more tall buildings and instead arranges the residential buildings as a row of large courtyard blocks (acknowledgment that the sites difficulties have steered the design into a more "enclosed" one?) buffered against the Thames by a riverside park. Ony a rather modest 22-storey tower is planned for the north-east end of the site.

Last edited by Esen; November 10th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Esen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #88
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 135

The slum estate of the future... Looks no different to half the 60s and 70s estates in East London.
Irish Blood English Heart está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #89
delores

Likes (Received): 180

Alof hotel finished next to Excel. http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=18005
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #90
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
The slum estate of the future... Looks no different to half the 60s and 70s estates in East London.
Exactly what I was thinking... it looks absolutely shocking
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #91
delores

Likes (Received): 180

I think it's a little more luxurious than that. I don't mind it but I do think the road should have buildings on both sides.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #92
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post

Exactly. Who would want to live there? And what are the people on who propose things like this?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #93
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1739

Where's the DLR extension gone?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #94
jack_jones

I don't think its that bad, I think its just a poor set of design pictures.

I think the Beckton Riverside masterplan was approved by Newham council in late 2009, but i'm not 100% sure as Allies and Morrison wont let me view the development on their website.

Any one know whats going on with this project?

I would also be keen to know what has happened to the DLR extension to Dagenham Dock like DarJoLe has stated, if any ones knows?
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #95
Harrow + London

[/QUOTE]

Do architects today have ZERO imagination? Cos half these new London projects are just boxes
Harrow + London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #96
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 128

It looks to me like a film set suitable for a Vietnam war film...
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #97
meharris75

[IMG][/IMG]

This was the beginning of construction of the cable car in August and obviously the Seimens Centre in the background.

Last edited by meharris75; November 12th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
meharris75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #98
meharris75

Old November 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #99
meharris75

TODAY

Old November 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #100
jack_jones

Thanks for the pictures meharris75. Keep us updated!

Tags
docklands, east london, royal docks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: