daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #121
Plaistow

Likes (Received): 0

New Canning Town centre plans are approved

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news...oved_1_1182734
Plaistow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #122
royaldocksresident

Likes (Received): 1

Future of the Royal Docks, or just an old plan?

Hi all,

I came across this forum for the first time last week and found it extremely informative (thanks!). I have lived in the Royal Docks for about 4 and a half years now and try to keep up to date with developments in the area.

While browsing the other day I came across the following website which appears to outline a plan (quite an overhaul) for some parts of the Royal Docks. Not sure if anyone else has come across this before, whether it is simply old plans that ever took off or something which is still in the long-term pipeline..... Interestingly enough the plan appears to show "Aloft" the hotel owned by the ExCeL immediately to the East of the Exhibition Hall....

Amongst other more familiar concepts (B. floating village and A. Tidal Basin site) it talks about some very interesting and major plans:

C. A new site called "central Excel" located behind the existing Westgate apartments and Crown Plaza and:

D. the replacement of part of the exhibition centre with a new "mixed use urban development"

http://www.globalgunter.com/frs-index.htm

Thoughts?
royaldocksresident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #123
royaldocksresident

Three more images (first, second and second-last images) of the mixed use urban development:

http://www.globalgunter.com/frs-arch.htm
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #124
Metroguy78

Likes (Received): 9

Also live in the Royal Docks so that is a fascinating read, thanks for the link.

Some of those propositions look quite over the top, but if it fits anywhere it's here where it is seeing a massive change and investment.
Metroguy78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM   #125
Metroguy78

Im not sure how accurate or recent that site is, i just noticed they haven't got the seimens centre included on the west side of the dock?
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #126
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 69

I think you find that the designs and masterplanning on the website you found are a couple of years old, because it has a different designed building where the Siemens Centre is currently being constructed.
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #127
royaldocksresident

Yes that's true. Even the suggested "floating village" at second read is all residential so very different.

On the floating village, seems to have all gone a bit silent. Anyone know anything further?

What else is happening.....

Tesco going in will be a massive boost to the area.

The London Pleasure Gardens seems to be moving along. They have the BLOC festival lined up for later this year. Check out the following promo video for a view of the millennium mills in a different light!!

http://vimeo.com/m/34506310
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #128
Esen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldocksresident View Post
Yes that's true. Even the suggested "floating village" at second read is all residential so very different.

On the floating village, seems to have all gone a bit silent. Anyone know anything further?

What else is happening.....

Tesco going in will be a massive boost to the area.

The London Pleasure Gardens seems to be moving along. They have the BLOC festival lined up for later this year. Check out the following promo video for a view of the millennium mills in a different light!!

http://vimeo.com/m/34506310
Is there a new Tesco development underway?
Esen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #129
royaldocksresident

Hi there, Tesco Express will be moving into the ground floor of the Oxygen apartment building in the next few months. I believe the subdivision of the premises have already commenced
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #130
jack_jones

Gallions Quarter

More detailed images of the Gallions Quarter Scheme located in the Royal Albert dock have been released. The scheme will contain an estimated 750 - 850 new homes as well as retail space. A masterplan for the area proposes a combination of medium-density residential development, complemented by activity-generating uses..

When complete, the Gallions Quarter will comprise an exciting and vibrant residential led scheme that will provide a sustainable and high quality neighbourhood in a waterside environment.

The Current Site:

The Proposals:

A number of high rise towers will be placed around the site:

The Western edge of the ‘Armada 1 South’ is marked by an 12 storey block. It signifies the key pedestrian route from the DLR at Gallions Interchange past Gallions Square to Gallions Green. A generous and visible residential lobby occupies the western side of the ground floor. This lobby rises up through the building to give access to the communal courtyard and is naturally ventilated with east facing windows.
On the south side of the ground floor are a food store and a number of retail spaces. These face onto The DLR and Gallions Square with its café pavilion. Above the ground floor are 46 apartments over eleven floors with a percentage mix of 46% one-bed units, 13% two-bed units and 41% three-bed units. Each unit has been designed in accordance with Lifetime Homes along with the Mayors Design Guide. A bike store and bin store are located on the ground floor next to the lobby. All the dwellings have been arranged to maximize enclosure, views, and sunlight. All dwellings have a private outdoor space and have access to the south facing communal courtyard. As the building increases in height, the form folds back to minimize shadow and optimize high-level terraces. The lower floors have a different arrangement on the north side to minimize the impact of the low level industrial shed on the neighbouring site. This is achieved without any costly changes in structure or shaft locations. At this stage the robust exteriors and delicate interiors concept has been developed with a finer scale of detail of hit and miss brick texture applied to the interior facades along with projecting balconies. Mortar is recessed. Balconies and windows are lined with another material and texture that brings the finer, more domestic quality close to the inhabitant. The external façade is much more robust, with flush mortar and with soldier coursing expressing the floor slabs and inset balconies. Larger scale inflections in the brick envelope break the form and scale of the building.

The Cafe Pavilion:

Last edited by jack_jones; February 9th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #131
delores

Likes (Received): 180

Looks great.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #132
mogwai83

Likes (Received): 46

Will smell terrible though, main reason that site has never really taken off before is thanks to the sewage works just up the river at Beckton. The stench makes it as far as Leamouth on hot summer days !
mogwai83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #133
wawd

Likes (Received): 7

love the cladding on this (hotel?) next to Excel:
image hosted on flickr

Cable Car London Construction by wawd, on Flickr
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #134
annamaria4711

Likes (Received): 13

Ohhh gosh...sorry I don't...tropical colours in our (UK) light just do not work, Mediterranean, Caribbean yeah OK... but cross the channel and its a no no in my books, that does not mean no colour...what it means is a different tonality and depth of colour..ie british racing green, royal blue they are deeper colours but work well in our type of sunlight...
annamaria4711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #135
wawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaria4711 View Post
Ohhh gosh...sorry I don't...tropical colours in our (UK) light just do not work
they work really well for me, and everyone else who was with me in the train at the time
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #136
Metroguy78

I find that image alittle mis leading, i walk the dog past here every day and in person the colour isnt as bright, much nicer and reminds me of the old Nokia 5110 (the one that changed colour in different light from green to blue).
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #137
Shmunkey

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaria4711 View Post
Ohhh gosh...sorry I don't...tropical colours in our (UK) light just do not work

I'm sorry, what? This is your opinion, fine, but I'm sorry you're just very wrong and misinformed.

Also is there any chance you can structure your posts correctly? =) It's very hard reading your posts.
Shmunkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #138
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai83 View Post
Will smell terrible though, main reason that site has never really taken off before is thanks to the sewage works just up the river at Beckton. The stench makes it as far as Leamouth on hot summer days !
I'd love it if this smelly problem leads to complaints and legal action from any forthcoming occupants.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #139
wawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroguy78 View Post
I find that image alittle mis leading, i walk the dog past here every day and in person the colour isnt as bright, much nicer and reminds me of the old Nokia 5110 (the one that changed colour in different light from green to blue).
must have been that special seasonal sunlight, or perhaps i just upped the saturation for emphasis i think a little too much for annamaria4711
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #140
jack_jones

Olympic rings at the Royal Docks:

Tags
docklands, east london, royal docks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: