daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #1
hauntedheadnc
...wolf in cheap clothing

Likes (Received): 107

Hauntedhead goes to The Bahamas (Part 1)

On a whim several months ago that only came to fruition last week, my boyfriend and I decided to go on a cruise. This was mainly because while he had lived on another continent for several years, I had never so much as left the country and it was, quite frankly, time. Cruising seemed a fairly harmless way to introduce a novice like myself to the wider world out there.

Now, cruising, for those of you unaware, is a peculiar societal phenomenon wherein you enter a world of hideous carpets for several days and have your every whim catered to by denizens of various wretched Third World nations, including Canada, England, Australia, and the United States. And you have to wonder what those denizens, most of them slim and many of them painfully good-looking, think of us fat Americans who waddle up to the buffet, shove a plate in the denizens' faces, and demand cake -- which I saw happen more than once. Regardless of what the denizens are thinking though, they always deliver the cake with a smile and polite acquiescence.

Bonus anecdote: On the last day of the cruise there was a question-and-answer session wherein the passengers got to ask the cruise director all about life on the ship and what it was like to live and work on one. One of the passengers asked indignantly why, out of 51 different nationalities represented on board, there were so few Americans working on the ship, only to get even more indignant when the cruise director -- herself an American -- matter-of-factly told him that it was because so few Americans are willing to work hard enough to hack it on a cruise ship.

Bonus bonus anecdote: Each night at dinner, the waitstaff were forced to do something or other to entertain the passengers, including singing, dancing, and magic tricks. Hear me now: Never let anyone tell you that Indonesians can't dance, because the waiters were rocking the **** out of Apple Bottom Jeans by T-Pain.

Anyhow, we decided to cruise out of Charleston because it's the closest port to Asheville. Thankfully, we arrived early enough in the day to get in some decent photo-taking.

A stroll down the street:

The Charleston City Market:

Gibbes art museum:

A church, one of seemingly several hundred. The skyline of Charleston seems to consist mostly of steeples.

Told you.

Renovation in progress.

Random streetside galoshes:

Charleston has some of the narrowest gardens I've ever seen.

The obligatory photograph of my boyfriend preparing to photograph something.

This is more than likely true for someone.

A monument in White Point Gardens, a the tip of the Charleston Battery:

A monument to all those brave Confederate soldiers who fought, bled, and died for rich people's right to hold other human beings in bondage.

I viewed this statue from many angles and can tell you that while the young Confederate lad has a fantastic ass, he is tragically lacking up front.

We moseyed on into Waterfront Park.

There is the ship, bearing the carpets of the damned, that would ferry us to unfamiliar shores.

Did you know that pineapples are a symbol of hospitality? I did.

For lunch I ate blackened scallops at the same table where Cyndi Lauper once ate something or other.

The Port of Charleston is first and foremost an industrial port. The cruise ship terminal came much later. However, it would appear that something came even before the industrial port. Marooned in the sea of concrete that makes up the port is this mysterious crumbling facade.

What was it, and by what deviltry was it damaged and left stranded so?

The view from the ship. Remember that remark about steeples? They don't call Charleston the "Holy City" for nothing.

On an island a little further out lurks Fort Sumter, where the war that stupid people the nation over are still fighting, was born.

Goodbye for now, Charleston.

Can't get enough? Well, then! Keep on looking!

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

What a gorgeous looking city, now on my things to do list....
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
hauntedheadnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
What a gorgeous looking city, now on my things to do list....
As it should be, along with Savannah, Ga. and New Orleans. There are lots of other cities that people from outside the US could and should see, but for experiencing the American South, those three are the absolutely, positively, cannot miss cities.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:33 PM   #4
hauntedheadnc

This dropped out of sight rather quickly... I shall bump it just once.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM   #5
ExcellentALWAYS
Ambitious Girl

A very peaceful southern city!NICE!!
Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh
ExcellentALWAYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:48 AM   #6
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

I have friends who live in Charleston. I'll have to visit them and check out this gorgeous city sometime..
Audiomuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:53 AM   #7
hauntedheadnc

It's definitely worth a visit, audiomuse.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.