daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old July 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #61
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank street View Post
V Peel and Liverpool Waters.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM   #62
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 151

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...hester-airport

Quote:
1,800 new jobs set for take-off with new logistics hub at Manchester Airport
Exclusive by Alice McKeegan
August 22, 2012

WORLD CLASS WISH: An artist’s impression of how the £100m logistics hub, part of the £650m Airport City project, could look. Airport chiefs want to capitalise on the region’s industrial reputation and create a globally-renowned logistics district

A new £100m logistics hub is set to be built at Manchester Airport – creating more than 1,800 jobs.

The ‘world-class’ centre will house up to 1.4m sq ft of cargo space for freight companies, offering businesses unrivalled access to air and motorway links.

Bosses have submitted an outline planning application for the facility, which will form part of the £650m Airport City project.

It is hoped that construction could begin before the end of the year with the project expected to create more than 1,800 permanent jobs over the next 10 to 15 years, in addition to construction posts.

The north west currently produces 60 per cent of Britain’s industrial output, a significant proportion of which is exported.

Airport chiefs want to capitalise on the region’s industrial reputation and create an internationally-renowned logistics district, attracting firms from all over the globe.

John Atkins, Manchester Airports Group’s Airport City director, said: "This scheme will create a sustainable commercial product of international significance that will provide high quality and well-connected logistics facilities with access to the global marketplace and a population of over 24 million people within a two-hour drive time. This connectivity will create an exceptional opportunity to improve international trade, cut transit times and drive more efficient, sustainable supply chains whilst supporting the local community, increasing employment opportunities and stimulating economic activity in the north west."

Manchester is the fourth busiest airport for cargo in Britain, carrying more than 107,000 tonnes of import and export freight and mail last year.

Cargo currently passes through the airport’s World Freight Terminal, next to junction six of the M56, which provides 675,000 sq ft of warehouse and office accommodation, but chiefs say they need to expand to cater for growing demand.

The new development will be built near to the existing cargo centre and the development will be split into medium and small-sized units, as well as featuring landscaped areas for wildlife and natural habitats.

It will form the southern part of the Airport City’s Enterprise Zone, which was unveiled by the government last March.

The project aims to transform Manchester Airport from a regional transport hub into an international business destination in its own right.

Around 1.5 million sq ft of office space; 650,000 sq ft of advanced manufacturing; around 2,500 new hotel beds; and up to 100,000 sq ft of retail and leisure facilities, will also be developed on land surrounding the airport’s public transport interchange and the north of the M56 spur road, creating up to 20,000 new jobs over the next 15 years.
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #63
marni1971

Likes (Received): 616

^ Love how they've got the wrong artwork.
marni1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM   #64
TheFly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marni1971 View Post
^ Love how they've got the wrong artwork.
Airport City?

Lol not a serious of logistics sheds?

Maybe they come with verandas and coffee shops attached these days?
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #65
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 211

How many times does the same thing need to be 'announced'?
I attended presentations on this well over a year ago and nothing much seems different now to then.

Marketing - yep, profile - sure, I get all that but come on, real news would be an actual big deal pre-let to get the thing off the ground. Eerily absent despite big positive developments elsewhere.

Unless they start selling space, this will remain one of those Davenport Green style 'jobs galore' pipe dreams.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #66
TheFly
BANNED

Freight is down massively again. There is zero need for this expansion and maybe it is all about tax breaks, for what essentially is just another logisitcs zone alongside a motorway?

Masses of spare capacity on-site at World Freight Terminal.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:52 PM   #67
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 41

Part of this is likely to be used to replace some buildings that may be demolished to make more paths for planes into and out of T2 so it might not be all about a net gain in capacity. Plus there is the obvious links to the motorway as already mentioned.
Gavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #68
bank street

Submission of planning application demonstrates some progress, although a big pre let or two wouldn't go amiss.

New image on Place Northwest (http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...ark-plans.html)

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but this looks like it's different to the previously hyped 'Airport City' development in the area around the terminals and near Wythenshawe, as it's next to the existing cargo centre which is on other side of the airport to all that.
bank street no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #69
WatcherZero

This is planning application for a warehouse park, not the office development.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #70
jrb
10th February 2008

A bit more on the proposal from Granada Retorts. Including screen grabs.

Granada won't let you post/watch the video. Click on the link to watch the video http://vimeo.com/48020120
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #71
marni1971

Likes (Received): 616

Good god. Typically Granada focus on visuals of the wrong area. This is the farmland west of Wilmslow Rd of junction 6. On the right as you come from the M56 towards the tunnels. Opposite side from the Cargo Centre.

I'm not a tree hugger, but really???
marni1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #72
Fluff
Fluff

Quote:
Good god. Typically Granada focus on visuals of the wrong area. This is the farmland west of Wilmslow Rd of junction 6. On the right as you come from the M56 towards the tunnels. Opposite side from the Cargo Centre.

You're absolutely right - opposite the entrance to the Aviation Viewing Park & The Romper Pub. The country lane where the park will be (Sunbank Lane) winds its way around the back of Hale barns (back over the motorway). Sad in a way if this nice land has to go - as a lovely place for a walk or jog! But that's progress I suppose
Fluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #73
TheFly
BANNED

My Sat Nav shows all that land as airport owned, and a good deal more...that is the potential alignment for runway 3 in 2040 (lol).

It would have been my preferred Runway 2 option, when it was considered.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #74
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

May well have HS2 tracks going down there in 20 year.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #75
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:

Crikey yes !! I see now. I'd always thought the logistics bit was the spare land between T2 and the M56, but you're right, this is all proper greenfield countryside to the west of Wilmslow Road.

What will happen to The Romper? A real nice pub that, it sits on the crossroads of what was the heart of Ringway Village from where the airport got its name. The access road on the other side of Wilmslow Road appears to be heading its way.

When I saw presentations on Airport City over a year ago, the strong impression was that it was using the scruffy brownfield land (surface car parks etc) between the airport and Wythy, not bulldozing green fields. No wonder the Granada Reports publicity focused on the main (uncontroversial) bit.

I'm guessing this is to free up the existing on-airfield freight sheds presumably for flattening, for future expansion of aircraft movement areas.
That part makes sense but are there not other options for creating the same result without the loss of true greenfield?
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #76
TheFly
BANNED

This is not airport city...hence the jokes about the picture above being of airport city.

This is another project
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #77
jrb
10th February 2008

We know.

Instead of stating the obvious, start a new thread. I couldn't be arsed, hence it going into the Airport City thread.
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #78
CHAPS2034
Chris W

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
This is not airport city...hence the jokes about the picture above being of airport city.

This is another project
The area being discussed IS part of the Airport City Enterprise Zone which is the title of this thread. Just that the MEN managed to use the wrong picture.....

Airport City is but one of the components. The Airport City area is the area North of the Terminals. Note that other parts of the Enterprise Zone are some way from the airport.

See here

http://www.manchesterairportez.co.uk/components

What's been revealed today is Zone B of the Airport City Project which is the World Logistics Hub

From the website
Quote:
World logistics hub consists primarily of a large land parcel to the south of the airport terminal. Sites in this area provide uniquely convenient logistics facilities with varying degrees of direct access to the airport apron and cargo handling areas. It is conceived as a logistics district offering a full range of air-to-road transfer, assembly and processing activities. A highly functional zone offering efficient goods handling, storage and mode change, World Logistics hub will have carefully specified design and layout requirements, most important among them being access to the M56 and the Airport’s cargo handling facilities.
Quote:
I'm guessing this is to free up the existing on-airfield freight sheds presumably for flattening, for future expansion of aircraft movement areas.
Whilst this is possible, there must always be a secure corridor for any airfreight to be carried from the transit sheds to the aircraft after security screening.

Quote:
My Sat Nav shows all that land as airport owned, and a good deal more...that is the potential alignment for runway 3 in 2040 (lol).

It would have been my preferred Runway 2 option, when it was considered.
You obviously didn't take into consideration the proximity of the M56 and level changes needed to comply with mandatory airfield physical characteristics, the fact that Terminal 2 would be in the Public Safety Zone not to mention the political furore over the possible obliteration of a Girl Guide Camp site in Ashley.

Quote:
Freight is down massively again. There is zero need for this expansion and maybe it is all about tax breaks, for what essentially is just another logisitcs zone alongside a motorway?

Masses of spare capacity on-site at World Freight Terminal.
Since when have you been able to know how much freight actually passes through the WFT by just looking at the flown freight figures for Manchester?

Considerable amounts pass through which do not come in or out by air. Much air freight is consolidated to/from various Northern sources into the airport to make a pallet load (generally cheaper than smaller consignments) and then trucked to London or even Amsterdam or Brussels for further consolidation if there is no capacity from Manchester. KLM used to operate a truck to Amsterdam virtually every night some years ago - don't know what happens now.

Surveys done about 10 years ago indicated that the figure of freight passing through the Manchester sheds was around 50% higher than the flown freight figure for Manchester. In addition, an unknown amount of airfreight is trucked from and through the NW area on its way to London etc for consolidation.

I would think that even more consolidation for onward transport to London etc goes on now with the reduction of freight capacity at MAN, particularly with all freight aircraft, but some of this will be done in the transit sheds.

However with the market generally being down then it is likely that there is spare capacity at present. However this new development will attract a variety of companies and hopefully the synergies released will allow for a boost to the economy all round in this part of the world. It may just be another logistics hub but for this part of the world it has a USP of having a major international airport attached

CW
CHAPS2034 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #79
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Will 1.5m sq ft of deals at Manchester Airport take off?

By Nadia Elghamry on September 5, 2012 3:38 PM| No Comments| No TrackBacks

I went over to Manchester Airport last week for a progress check on its ambitious Airport City scheme, writes Simon Binns.

The marketing suite itself is impressive enough. A whizzy iPad presentation is livened up even more by clear plastic sheets given to prospecvtive occupiers, which they can take away and lay over their tablet then marvel as vacuum-pressed mini-office blocks, hotels or sheds light up at the appropriate times. Even the roads turn bright pink. I even got the requisite press USB stick, although this one was dayglo yello and went around your wrist like a watch.

Dayglo USB wristbands and plastic iPad covers aside, things seem to be cracking on reasonably well with Airport City. Talk is the airport has heads of terms out on 11 deals that would gobble up 1.5m sq ft of space if they all complete. Two of those requirements are thought to be in solicitors' hands, although the airport refused to be drawn.

Ther target is one large occupier by Christmas and something concrete to present at next year's MIPIM. Presentations are one thing, but deals are what will make this scheme fly.

Simon Binns is Estates Gazette's North of England correspondent
http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/focus/manchester/
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #80
jrb
10th February 2008

Item 12 - Greater Manchester Enterprise Zone, Adoption of Manchester Airport City Enterprise Zone Framework Plan PDF 38.71 KB http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...rpriseZone.pdf

Item 12 - Greater Manchester Enterprise Zone, Adoption of Manchester Airport City Enterprise Zone Framework Plan - APPENDIX PDF 6.34 MB
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...ppendix_1_.pdf