daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #181
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

I read about this today, I hope cooler heads prevail and heavy rail is chosen. I can only think of a few airports with a tram connection, Edinburgh and Manchester, both are a lot closer to there respective CBD's than Auckland is and Bergen which is currently under construction. Heavy rail is more common and has a lot of advantages over light rail.

Heavy rail makes more sense, there is already a railhead at Onehunga, it's only 10km from there to the airport, logically the line should continue on to Manukau Station, then you could run passenger trains from as far away as Hamilton or anywhere else on the network transferring at Papakura to the Auckland network. It could even be used as justification to electrify the line to Pukekohe or even close the gap to Hamilton. It rejuvenate passenger rail in the North Island.

If they go with light rail it will be a long wait for the proposed light rail network to be built, extending to AKL will take even longer, plus where are the benefits for rail passenger services in NZ, and it's a smaller catchment area. I also don't see how a tram line with 14 stops between Onehunga and Britomart is only 6 minutes longer than the heavy rail solution with approx 8 stops?

The cheapest solution isn't always the best long term solution.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11567299

dimlys1994, Nexis liked this post
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #182
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Dunno when you last went back to Auckland, Rob, but the Onehunga line is a bit... Slow (I'm here now). It needs a full double-track for it to get up to speed. Now I'm not sure what the proposal there is, and whether they plan on making the expensive double track solution possible there (or whether there is sufficient ROW to do that).

I agree with the Dominion Rd Light Rail scheme, but not to the airport. I'd rather have the rail if possible, but that hinges on the duplication at Onehunga.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #183
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Can't they just build an airport branch line from the Southern line rather than Onehunga?

KIWIKAAS liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #184
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

An eventual branch line from Puhinui + the lightrail line would be a pretty good outcome I think.
The branch line would be significantly cheaper to build and the ROW to Westfield is wide enough to allow for extra track.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #185
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Dunno when you last went back to Auckland, Rob, but the Onehunga line is a bit... Slow (I'm here now). It needs a full double-track for it to get up to speed. Now I'm not sure what the proposal there is, and whether they plan on making the expensive double track solution possible there (or whether there is sufficient ROW to do that).

I agree with the Dominion Rd Light Rail scheme, but not to the airport. I'd rather have the rail if possible, but that hinges on the duplication at Onehunga.
I had read that part of the funding for the CRL also includes double tracking the Onehunga Branch line, I don't know how accurate this is.

I also wonder if AT were clever and designed Manukau station to be converted from a terminus to a through station. The AIL master plan calls for rail from the CBD and Manukau.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #186
mw123

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #187
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Interesting.

I wonder if it were possible to route the heavy rail on the surface along that highway. I don't think that it would take TOO much more work than installing light rail.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #188
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=541

Work to begin early on Auckland City Rail Link
Wednesday, January 27, 2016

MAJOR construction works on Auckland's long-proposed 3.4km City Rail Link are set to start in 2018, two years ahead of its previous start date, after New Zealand's prime minister Mr John Key announced the government will commit to funding half of the $NZ2.5bn ($US 1.6bn) project

The underground rail link will connect the existing underground terminus station at Britomart with the Western Line at Mount Eden via the city centre with two new underground stations at Albert Street and Karangahape Road. Construction could be completed in 2023

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Svartmetall, nameless dude, mw123 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #189
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Yep, best news of all from Auckland. I also have a load of videos from Auckland that I need to start processing.
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #190
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Wow? Auckland is getting subway!!!? Bam straight up highest train capacity to population ratio in the world.
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #191
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Wow? Auckland is getting subway!!!? Bam straight up highest train capacity to population ratio in the world.
Not quite - Stockholm for example has a really quite large metro system relative to its population.

But that said it's a massive step forward to build a proper loop. Still a commuter hybrid system (like those in Sydney or Melbourne for example) but exactly what Auckland needs at the moment. When I was back there a few weeks ago I was really impressed with the improvements - Panmure station for example, and the new electric trains. The trains also seemed far more reliable when I used them as well.

All I can say is thank you to Len Brown. He has been a breath of fresh air when it comes to public transport in Auckland. I remember when he was voted in as mayor of Manukau, and what a difference he was. Private life indiscretions aside, he's been the best thing to happen to politics in Auckland since I first lived there in 2005.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #192
mw123

Quote:
When I was back there a few weeks ago I was really impressed with the improvements - Panmure station for example, and the new electric trains. The trains also seemed far more reliable when I used them as well.
I was there a couple of weeks ago myself and was impressed with the reorganised link buses in the inner city. Really useful and easy to follow for a visitor. Signage and maps/info at the bus stops could definitely have been better though.

Quote:
Private life indiscretions aside
"Days after his October 2013 re-election stories broke regarding Brown having a two-year extramarital affair with a younger woman who served on an Auckland Council advisory board, and having sex with this woman in the mayoral office and town hall..."

Lol I didn't know about that one.
Old January 30th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #193
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
But that said it's a massive step forward to build a proper loop. Still a commuter hybrid system (like those in Sydney or Melbourne for example) but exactly what Auckland needs at the moment.
Tbh, I think what Auckland really needs is a better bus system. Increase the frequency of bus, improve the accuracy of timing, and have some form of midnight line during weekends.

Instead of digging tunnels for subway, I think widening highways and roads for bus-only lanes (like the North Shore part of Highway 1), would be much cheaper and effective.

While I really do appreciate the fact Auckland is stepping the game up in building a subway, I just think such mass transport system is really cost-ineffective for a city with such low density.
Old January 30th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #194
PeFe

Likes (Received): 165

Auckland is only building a "subway" in one part of the city centre...it is hardly going to be a totally new train system.
Having said that, it is the right thing to do, Sydney and Melbourne both built underground city centre train sections in the past and this has proven to be a smart move for future transport growth. It enhances the network because more people are able to access jobs/night life via a fast train service (in comparison to buses)
I am sure the new section of the Auckland train network will increase patronage, perhaps Auclkand needs to consider making more buses in the outer suburbs "feeder buses" only to the train network. This has been successfully tried in Perth resulting in added public transport patronage.
PeFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #195
twentyfivetacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
You can't be serious. Even with this extension (which is only 3km long) Auckland will still have on of the tiniest rail networks in the world for a city of its size
twentyfivetacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #196
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Tbh, I think what Auckland really needs is a better bus system. Increase the frequency of bus, improve the accuracy of timing, and have some form of midnight line during weekends.

Instead of digging tunnels for subway, I think widening highways and roads for bus-only lanes (like the North Shore part of Highway 1), would be much cheaper and effective.

While I really do appreciate the fact Auckland is stepping the game up in building a subway, I just think such mass transport system is really cost-ineffective for a city with such low density.
This project isn't so much about extending network coverage but more about increasing capacity on the existing network. The problem today is that Britomart station (the downtown station) is a dead end and trains arriving there have to terminate. The tunnel will create a through link so trains can run through Britomart instead, and that will effectively double the capacity of the entire network. Patronage on the network has already increased by 700% over the past decade (2.2 mill vs 15.4 mill) and is nearing the network capacity, so a $1.6 billion USD, 3.5 kilometre tunnel doesn't sound like a bad investment at all, especially considering Auckland's continued patronage and population growth and densification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeFe View Post
I am sure the new section of the Auckland train network will increase patronage, perhaps Auclkand needs to consider making more buses in the outer suburbs "feeder buses" only to the train network. This has been successfully tried in Perth resulting in added public transport patronage.
That's something I think most Australian cities can improve on, particularly for the smaller stations in the middle-outer 'burbs, not just Auckland (though it's good that Sydney has recognised the need to integrate the fares now).
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #197
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

To kick a bit of life into this thread, I thought I'd share a video of Newmarket station that I took back in the end of December 2015. The electric trains look really nice, and are such an improvement over the ex-Perth diesel trains, and the SA sets.

So, here we go.

Old March 28th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #198
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

How often do train services run along that line?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #199
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
How often do train services run along that line?
6 trains per hour off-peak, 12 trains per hour peak. This is divided between three different lines.

Western line = 2tph off-peak, 4tph peak.
Southern Line = 3tph off-peak and 6tph peak.
Onehunga Line = 1tph off-peak and 2tph peak.

Upgrades are occurring on the line.
Old April 10th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #200
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Further updates to showcase a few places in Auckland. Here we see Britomart. Now Britomart is the centre of the transport network - it is a hub for all four urban rail lines and also a major bus interchange in the downtown area of Auckland. The station used to be filled with diesel smoke due to the DMUs and locomotive-hauled carriages and that was my last memory of the station. NOW it is clean and quiet, and is a pleasure to be in. Here is a showcase of the station.

Next is Panmure station. Panmure railway station is probably the biggest change I've seen on the Auckland transport network in recent times. When I first arrived in New Zealand back in 2005, Panmure station was located down the line in a semi-industrial area and was nothing more than an asphalt platform with a rickety wooden bridge leading off the station. It was poorly lit, and awful. Then the station was moved in 2007 to be closer to Panmure centre. This station was still basic, but it was better lit, and well-kept. Now, Panmure is a model for future stations in Auckland. It has a well-integrated bus station and an excellent station.

Now here is a more interesting one for some. Botany Town Centre bus terminal. This is not often featured at all, but it has a number of different buses call here. Botany Town Centre is a large indoor/outdoor mall in Eastern Auckland and has improving transport links in what is one of the most car-centric areas of Auckland. There is now a direct bus to the airport from here as well!

Now we have two journeys, one by bus and one by rail. The first is a rail journey from Panmure all the way to Britomart in both directions and with both views (both left and right from the train). This rail line goes across the water and gets beautiful views of the harbour and waterways of Auckland. It's probably my favourite rail line in Auckland.

Finally, a short bus journey in Eastern Auckland. This is a journey on a Howick & Eastern bus (500) towards the city leaving from Pakuranga Plaza to Panmure Station.

Tags
auckland, tram