daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #21
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Far be it for me to dispute what Mr KF and Sydney have said about connecting buses, but I don't believe that connecting buses to the suburbs are frequent enough at the moment from most of the stops. Most of the connecting buses to the suburbs run at 30 minute to hourly frequencies, less frequent than the Northern Express which boasts much more impressive 10 minute frequencies.

Examples:
Albany Busway station to Browns bay = 30 minute frequencies (route 880).
Akoranga Busway Station to Takapuna = 30 minute frequencies (route 945).
Smales Farm Busway Station to Milford Shopping Centre = Hourly frequencies (route 858)

For many of the suburbs it is actually quicker to take the local bus straight from the city, however, for park and ride purposes (which is what a large majority of the stations are there for), it is absolutely ideal. The busway itself is very fast, uses comfortable buses and avoids traffic in peak hours. For those who can cycle or drive to the bus stations it is a fantastic service, hence the usage at the moment which is on target for well over 2.5million trips per year at current estimates - and for Auckland, this is impressive especially when one considers what public transport patronage used to be like on the North Shore.

Hopefully, once integrated ticketing is launched in Auckland the buses that connect to the Northern Busway can be reformed to a more useful "hub and spoke" model of passenger distribution.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #22
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Some busway station locations:

Akoranga

Smales Farm

Sunnynook

Constellation Station

Albany Station

As you can see, there are very distinct plans to upgrade the area around Albany station. It will become a reasonable density suburb full of midrise and lowrise apartments and townhouses with the busway station at its centre - though I do wish they'd built the busway station closer to the shopping centre to fully realise its potential.
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #23
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Does this mean they cancelled the light rail project?
No not at all ... A tunnel is proposed for under the harbour that will include light rail to North Shore .... they are frantically busy trying to get this done but it will cost billions. Auckland Harbour Bridge is pushed to the limit and Auckland definitely needs a second harbour crossing. I will try to find more info for you
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #24
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Far be it for me to dispute what Mr KF and Sydney have said about connecting buses, but I don't believe that connecting buses to the suburbs are frequent enough at the moment from most of the stops. Most of the connecting buses to the suburbs run at 30 minute to hourly frequencies, less frequent than the Northern Express which boasts much more impressive 10 minute frequencies.

Examples:
Albany Busway station to Browns bay = 30 minute frequencies (route 880).
Akoranga Busway Station to Takapuna = 30 minute frequencies (route 945).
Smales Farm Busway Station to Milford Shopping Centre = Hourly frequencies (route 858)

For many of the suburbs it is actually quicker to take the local bus straight from the city, however, for park and ride purposes (which is what a large majority of the stations are there for), it is absolutely ideal. The busway itself is very fast, uses comfortable buses and avoids traffic in peak hours. For those who can cycle or drive to the bus stations it is a fantastic service, hence the usage at the moment which is on target for well over 2.5million trips per year at current estimates - and for Auckland, this is impressive especially when one considers what public transport patronage used to be like on the North Shore.

Hopefully, once integrated ticketing is launched in Auckland the buses that connect to the Northern Busway can be reformed to a more useful "hub and spoke" model of passenger distribution.
Thanks for that Svarty, the aerials are already out-dated but they give a good idea of what is happening in each area. Like I said, if the busway doesn't work for you there are alternatives
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #25
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Thanks for that Svarty, the aerials are already out-dated but they give a good idea of what is happening in each area. Like I said, if the busway doesn't work for you there are alternatives
Thankfully not hugely outdated as they only put up new images of the North Shore earlier this year! The North Shore really does have impressive Google Earth coverage these days, the resolution is fantastic so those who wish to investigate Auckland I recommend taking a look.

PS: we also have Google Street view of the area too - these images were taken last year so might be a little out of date, but not too out of date. Take a look around.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #26
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Thankfully not hugely outdated as they only put up new images of the North Shore earlier this year! The North Shore really does have impressive Google Earth coverage these days, the resolution is fantastic so those who wish to investigate Auckland I recommend taking a look.

PS: we also have Google Street view of the area too - these images were taken last year so might be a little out of date, but not too out of date. Take a look around.
I noticed that, it is very good. I should post those in the highway section Goes to show how quick things change - Smales Farm has a new building and wetlands area .... also the Retirement village has been built on that huge vacant site .... Building finished in Albany which is just a construction site ... the park is also nearly finished. It also seems likely that the 3 tower project next door to the Albany bus station might go ahead - also a cinema complex on the side where the parking is. Bring it on !!! Thanks again for all the info Svarty

They are building an amazing boulevard in front of Westfield Albany with a bus interchange (CIVIC CRESCENT) - maybe buses will link Albany bus station with the Westfield one ? that would be great !

Last edited by SYDNEY; June 1st, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #27
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Does this mean they cancelled the light rail project?
I found the link for you with a detailed description and maps of what is planned HERE
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #28
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Quote:
- though I do wish they'd built the busway station closer to the shopping centre to fully realise its potential.
They should be running an "every 10 minutes" shuttle from the Shopping centre to the Albany station free of charge courtesy Westfield but I think it is something that may have been overlooked.
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #29
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_kiwi_fruit View Post
They should be running an "every 10 minutes" shuttle from the Shopping centre to the Albany station free of charge courtesy Westfield but I think it is something that may have been overlooked.
I couldn't find it on the Westfield site for Albany unfortunately. Do you know where I could find details about the shuttle service?
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #30
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

There is no such shuttle I am afraid Svarty - maybe I worded my reply a little ambiguously - I was trying to say They Need a shuttle like that but no one has even bothered thinking about it!
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #31
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_kiwi_fruit View Post

There is no such shuttle I am afraid Svarty - maybe I worded my reply a little ambiguously - I was trying to say They Need a shuttle like that but no one has even bothered thinking about it!
It could be that they are waiting for the bus interchange to be completed on Civic Crescent - here is to hope
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #32
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Northern Busway wins award

The Northern Busway project in North Shore City won the category for construction projects costing more than $2 million at the Ingenium Excellence Awards, held in Hamilton on Saturday evening. The $300 million project is an 8.4km dedicated busway, mostly two-way, with five stations (Akoranga, Smales Farm, Sunnynook, Constellation and Albany) along the Northern Motorway corridor which provides frequent, reliable bus services. The project includes major interchange upgrades at Esmonde and Onewa, and incorporates high-voltage cable ducts for Transpower. The recipients of the award were: NZ Transport Agency, North Shore City Council and Transpower (as clients), Opus International Consultants, Beca and Aurecon (as project consultants), and Fletcher Construction, Downer EDI Works, HEB Construction and NZ Strong Construction (as project contractors).
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #33
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Buzzing busway could get even bigger

Auckland's booming Northern Busway is being eyed up for a $700 million to $1.2 billion extension to Orewa. The Transport Agency is considering extending a two-lane highway for buses from Constellation Drive to at least Silverdale, superseding a previous plan to rely on motorway shoulders for trips north of Albany. Its new proposal would involve building five tunnels and seven bridges, including a flyover of the Northern Motorway, leaving North Shore City and Rodney District to construct bus stations along the way - at Rosedale, Redvale and Silverdale.

Most of the busway would run along the eastern side of the motorway to Silverdale, from where bus priority lanes to Orewa are likely, whether along Hibiscus Coast Highway or through a new industrial zone to the north. It would include a short section west of the motorway, looping through a tunnel from Rosedale to the Albany bus station, and then bridging State Highway 1 south of Lonely Track Rd to reach the east again.

The agency is even considering making the proposed extension capable of carrying a passenger rail line, which would put the project at the top end of the cost range. Its predecessor Transit NZ initially proposed a $500 million project including a 4.1km "off-line" busway extension to Albany and then shoulder lanes along the Northern Motorway for the remaining 19km. But agency acting manager Tommy Parker told Auckland Regional Council yesterday that the busway's success with commuters since it opened in February, and a "distinct possibility" of extending passenger rail across Waitemata Harbour, had prompted a rethink.

"Continuing the off-line busway would build on the success of the Northern Busway to date," he said. "It would provide a world-class facility for the Auckland region and greater access and mobility throughout North Shore City and Rodney District." Mr Parker, who is seeking support for $60 million to $65 million of regionally-allocated Government funds to be earmarked for property purchases to protect the route, said the extension was likely to be built in stages to match property development north of the harbour.

"The full busway is probably 20 years away but we believe there are going to be some localised hot spots, including Albany, which we expect to be built out in a few years," he told the council. Although the existing 8.74km busway between the Harbour Bridge and Constellation Drive is along the eastern side of the motorway, buses have to cross that road to reach the Albany station. Mr Parker said consideration was given to moving the station to the east, but planners decided it best to loop the busway through the existing facility before crossing back over the motorway. An eastern route was preferable because of geotechnical challenges west of the motorway past Lonely Track Rd, and the fact that the Crown already owned much of the corridor to the east.

He acknowledged a risk of having to offer the land back to former owners as a key reason for early moves to protect the route. As with the existing busway, the agency would be responsible for the route and local councils for designating sites for stations along the way. These would include a park-and-ride facility at Silverdale, and possibly another at Redvale, depending on projections of traffic demand along the proposed $183 million Penlink road from Whangaparaoa Peninsula.

Regional councillor Joel Cayford said the previous Government's decision to build that road free of tolls would undermine demand for the busway. "If you build Penlink, the busway will never happen - we can't afford to build both," he said. Council transport chair Christine Rose also wondered how many commuters using Penlink would be prepared to leave their cars at Redvale and catch buses. Mr Parker said the incentive, as development increased in Albany and elsewhere, would be to park up and use buses to beat growing motorway queues.
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #34
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Central Connector ahead of schedule

Quicker bus travel between the CBD and Newmarket is a step closer following the completion of the Anzac Avenue section. In addition to a faster, more reliable bus service, the streets around the route will be improved with new footpaths and street furniture. Walking and cycling facilities will be upgraded and Grafton Bridge is due to be re-strengthened in time for its 100-year anniversary in early 2010. The project is currently on budget, ahead of schedule and expected to be finished by the end of the year. Chairperson of the Transport Committee councillor Ken Baguley says the Central Connector aims to give people better travel choices. "Travel choice is an integral part of unlocking our economic potential. Apart from providing quality infrastructure, we know that to be a successful city we must have efficient and effective transport networks, efficiently moving goods and people."

Progress update:

Anzac Avenue: The first section of the Central Connector, is now complete. The green bus lanes are in place, with new street furniture and bins. The streetscape upgrade at the corner of Beach Road is due for completion.
Symonds Street: This is 95 per cent complete on the lower section around the university and it is 15 per cent complete on the upper part. A new pedestrian crossing between the engineering school and the recreation centre will make crossing Symonds Street safer and new lighting for the road and footpaths means added security at night.
Grafton Bridge: Work is currently on track for the bridge to be reopened by the end of the year. The next couple of months involves strengthening work on the underside, work to improve lateral strength against earthquakes and general use, and fixing the cracks in the concrete.
Park Road: Work to upgrade stormwater and wastewater systems continues outside Auckland City Hospital and surrounding streets. New tulip trees (Liriodendron tulipifera) will be planted along the front of the hospital. Additionally, new footpaths, lighting poles, street furniture and high-quality paving will be located outside the shops.

Old October 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #35
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Issue # 04|10

[04 OCTOBER 2009] - 17°C SUNDAY, 11:00 Rain

AUCKLAND [CBD]
[CENTRAL CONNECTOR BUSWAY] - PART 1

Old October 12th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #36
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Issue # 04|10

[04 OCTOBER 2009] - 17°C SUNDAY, 11:00 Rain

AUCKLAND [CBD]
[CENTRAL CONNECTOR BUSWAY] - PART 2

Old June 1st, 2010, 01:04 AM   #37
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Future plans for the Northern Busway:

Future plans for the Northern Busway include the suggestion of extending the busway across the Waitemata Harbour to the North Shore, via either a second bridge or a tunnel, as the busway design paramaters allow for later conversion to light rail. An extension towards Orewa in the north is being debated for the long-term future. It was originally expected to cost around NZ$500 million, although the success of the scheme has now sparked potentially more extensive schemes for between NZ$700 million and NZ$1.2 billion for an extension to at least Silverdale, with up to five tunnels and seven bridges, including a motorway flyover between Constellation Drive and Albany stations. New stations are proposed at Rosedale, Redvale and Silverdale.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:17 AM   #38
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Summary of [Bus Stations]

[AKORANGA]

[SMALES FARM]

[SUNNYNOOK]

[CONSTELLATION]

[ALBANY]

[FACILITIES]

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by SYDNEY; June 1st, 2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #39
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

AUCKLAND | Public Transport

HOP - INTEGRATED TICKETING FOR AUCKLAND'S PUBLIC TRANSPORT NETWORK:

HOP is Auckland’s new smartcard ticketing system that you can use to pay for public transport. HOP Cards with a Snapper logo are also the easy way to pay for lots of other everyday items. Initially HOP will be launched on North Star followed by Waka Pacific, Go West then Metrolink and LINK bus services and will replace the Go Rider card. Eventually you will be able to use a HOP card on rail, ferry and other bus services across Auckland.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 4th, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #40
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Transport smartcard launched in Auckland
NZ HERALD
6:30 PM Monday Apr 4, 2011

Bus users in Auckland will soon be able to take advantage of a new smartcard for public transport. Auckland Transport today announced the introduction of the card as part of a phased lead-in to the full introduction of the region's first fully integrated ticketing system next year. The launch of the "hop-on and hop-off" (Hop) smartcard follows earlier announcements on the development of an integrated system and a participation agreement between Auckland Transport, Snapper and NZ Bus on working with the new central system. The Hop smartcard replaces Go Rider cards and will be rolled out over coming months. The card will simplify how people pay for and use public transport and will make boarding faster and easier, Auckland Transport chief executive David Warburton said. It will also be rolled out for use on NZ Bus services. Work was continuing on rolling out the system to other bus operators, with the expansion of integrated ticketing on rail and ferry services, Dr Warburton said.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 4th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Tags
auckland, tram