daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #41
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

BRITOMART train station figures impressive


Auckland Transport is estimating that about 25,000 rail passengers go through Britomart Station every weekday. That is more than the daily numbers at Auckland’s domestic airport. Auckland Transport’s last passenger survey at Britomart in May counted 21,000 but with recent increases in rail patronage revealed this week, that is now estimated to be 25,000. This compares to 14,000 domestic travellers a day through Auckland Airport.

Earlier this week the number of rail passengers reached one million for the month of March. This compares to annual patronage of 2.5 million when Britomart opened in 2003. The Auckland Transport figures this week showed total public transport patronage for the past year to February reached 64 million, an increase of 8.3%. And the figures for passengers to the CBD are probably already underestimated judging by the new love affair with rail.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 4th, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #42
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

PUBLIC TRANSPORT use surges ahead
NZ HERALD
5:30 AM Thursday Mar 31, 2011


Extra buses are being pressed into service in Auckland to cope with rocketing demand for public transport. Auckland Transport yesterday reported that the number of people boarding buses, trains and ferries was 9.6 per cent higher in February than for the same month of last year. That helped to boost public transport patronage for the 12 months until the end of February by almost 5 million passenger trips, to 64 million.

Auckland Transport operations manager Fergus Gammie told Auckland Transport board members that high fuel prices were expected to stimulate even more growth "which we have to manage". Auckland Transport spokeswoman Sharon Hunter disclosed that NZ Bus had in recent days put larger buses on some routes to cope with the traditional "March madness" public transport peak caused by the return of tertiary students to classes.

It had also put extra capacity on the Central Connector route between Britomart and the university sector in Symonds St, and Ritchies Transport was considering adding buses to the Northern Express service. NZ Bus was unavailable to comment on whether it had enough buses in service, but it has ordered 120 new vehicles to arrive in June, in time to support a big reorganisation by Auckland Transport of central isthmus routes.

But Auckland Transport board chairman Mark Ford said he did not believe fuel prices were the only cause of such "outstanding" results. "I think it's the quality of services which have improved."


Passenger trips 12 months to Feb 28.

Buses: 50,189,901 - up 7.9 per cent

Trains: 9,233,040 - up 13.5 per cent

Ferries: 4,662,665 - up 3.5 per cent.

Total: 64,085,606 - up 8.3 per cent
  Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #43
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

TRAMS set to return to Auckland's streets.


Trams are expected to run on Auckland's waterfront by August in an $8 million project which saw the first section of tracks laid this week. As well as securing a lease of two heritage trams from a museum in Bendigo, Victoria, the Auckland Waterfront Development Agency also hopes to borrow an electric light-railcar for demonstration purposes during the Rugby World Cup. The trams will run clockwise on a 1.5km circuit of Wynyard Quarter - between Jellicoe, Halsey, Gaunt and Daldy Sts - to draw visitors to the developing precinct and to provide them with on-board information about its attractions.

But development agency chief executive John Dalzell said yesterday that the council-controlled organisation also wanted to use the circuit as a demonstration pilot for a possible light-rail extension across Viaduct Harbour to the Downtown ferry terminal, Queens Wharf, or even further along the waterfront. "We want to gauge the public's appetite for this form of transport." He said a $3.5 million pedestrian and cycling drawbridge reaching across the mouth of the harbour to Te Wero Island would have strong enough foundations to carry light-railcars.

Off-site prefabrication work had already begun and pile-driving was likely to start by the end of this month. That would leave only the superstructure and drawbridge lifting mechanism to be upgraded as a possible alternative to a second bridge to be built for between $20 million and $50 million from 2016.
The former Auckland City Council held a design competition for an "iconic" structure before delaying the project in the face of ballooning costs. A 27m section of tram tracks, the first in central Auckland for more than 50 years, was laid over the New Year statutory holidays across the intersection of Halsey and Gaunt Sts.

Mr Dalzell said the conversion of Jellicoe St into a pedestrian-oriented boulevard would be completed in time for the trams to start running along it in August, as would various restaurants, plazas, a park and a $32 million marine events centre. But Mr Dalzell said his team, which is being advised by tram experts from the Museum of Transport and Technology and from Christchurch, could not find a satisfactory technical solution using batteries so had reverted to 6m-high overhead wiring.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #44
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Auckland's PASSENGER INFORMATION SYSTEM set for an upgrade


The Sigtec Group today announced a new contract with the Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA) that will see Sigtec upgrade the successful Auckland Real Time Passenger Information System to provide an integrated Multi-Modal Passenger Information System for all Bus, Rail and Ferry passenger services in the Auckland Region, in time for the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Based on Sigtec’s RAPID technology, which has been providing real time information and traffic light priority for Auckland’s buses since 2005, the upgraded system will display predicted service arrival times to commuters at signs located at bus stops, on rail platforms and at ferry terminals.

The system monitors the position of each bus, train and ferry in real time using the global positioning system and other inputs to accurately predict when the service will arrive. Priority is automatically requested at traffic lights for late running buses. Sigtec’s Chief Operations Officer, Bill Delaney, commented “Auckland commuters will not only receive predicted arrival information at the stop or platform. The RAPID system is currently providing real time predictions for arrival of bus services at over 5,000 stops on the Auckland public transport system, via the MAXX website and SMS. Rail and Ferry services will be added as part of this upgrade.

ARTA’s General Manager, Customer Services, Mark Lambert, is looking forward to the new system. “The new Multi-Modal Passenger Information System will include enhancements to better meet the needs of transport operators, and new formatting of information on electronic signs will improve the information available to our customers”, he said. The provision of real time passenger information for rail and ferry services, and the improvements to information available for bus services are part of an ongoing investment in public transport in the Auckland Region that will benefit the community through and well beyond the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #45
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Auckland's NEW LYNN TRAIN STATION opens


In the late 2000s, local and regional government, as part of the revitalising of the regional rail commuter network, decided to build a new "feature station" at New Lynn, which included sinking the tracks and station into a trench. The road was grade-separated from rail to enable vehicle traffic to pass over the line. Before the trenching works, the level crossings in the town centre were often blocked by passing trains, leading to substantial congestion, which would have only increased with more train services. The new rail trench and associated sunken station were to be constructed with up to 16m deep diaphragm walls using specially imported cranes and specialists. This was required due to the unstable, water-logged soils and the need to avoid settlement damage to close-by buildings. The procedure to construct the 1 km of trench (with finished depth of up to 8m) involved multiple temporary shifts of the railway line and of various associated roads, and was called the most difficult part of the DART railway development program in Auckland.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #46
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifygirls View Post
so fast and reliable
Some areas are better served than others but there has been an immense improvement in the last 5 years which is all good I am not complaining

Thanks for the comment mate
  Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #47
smarne
smarne
 
smarne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 550
Likes (Received): 72

amazing public transport.
smarne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #48
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarne View Post
amazing public transport.
Thanks Smarne, we have far to go but we are heading in the right direction Thanks mate
  Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #49
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Auckland's NEWMARKET TRAIN STATION

  Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #50
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Auckland transport is SH*T. End of story.

Just love it - 10 minutes - DUE - 5 minutes - DLY - *disappears* - 15 minutes - DUE - 5 minutes - DLY - *disappears* - 5 minutes - then comes the bus. EVERYDAY.

However, it is quite pleasing to see that FINALLY we have a plan to implement magnetic bus cards. Takes literally over a minute for around 10 people just to get on the bus using Go Rider card. It takes even long if you are in any of the following situation occurs:

1. Woman holding course book / folders in one hand and handbag in the other, struggling to find her bus card in her handbag. Holds the line for another minute.

2. People topping up their Go Rider. Holds the line for another minute.

3. People buying 3 stages with 1 stage Go Rider. Holds the line for an extra 30 seconds.

These people obviously do not understand the equation money = gold, especially in the morning, you are late because of them. The green light which the bus would have otherwise gone through if they were not holding on to the line...
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #51
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarne View Post
amazing public transport.
Sorry to say this but please dont be fooled, the REAL Auckland train consists two carriages only. Yes.. one locomotive towing another. I have such an urge to take a photo of it, but too bad every time i see it im driving on the high way.

I also have very bad experience with the train. Firstly, it is WAY too shaky. I thought we were going to derail the first time i took the Auckland train. Secondly, the ticketing system is even worse than the bus. Literally, they send someone to charge you after you sit on the train.

Once again sorry, but this thread is definitely not a faithful representation of Auckland's real public transportation system.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #52
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Auckland transport is SH*T. End of story.
It ain't perfect but it isn't shit - give credit where it is due - comparing Auckland's public transport system to 6 years ago is like comparing chalk with cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Just love it - 10 minutes - DUE - 5 minutes - DLY - *disappears* - 15 minutes - DUE - 5 minutes - DLY - *disappears* - 5 minutes - then comes the bus. EVERYDAY.
What an exaggeration, I have never experienced this - it is a gross generalisation. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but I guess that my area is probably better served than where you live. This may apply to you but not to everybody. Besides - delays are not unique to Auckland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
However, it is quite pleasing to see that FINALLY we have a plan to implement magnetic bus cards. Takes literally over a minute for around 10 people just to get on the bus using Go Rider card. It takes even long if you are in any of the following situation occurs:

1. Woman holding course book / folders in one hand and handbag in the other, struggling to find her bus card in her handbag. Holds the line for another minute.

2. People topping up their Go Rider. Holds the line for another minute.

3. People buying 3 stages with 1 stage Go Rider. Holds the line for an extra 30 seconds.

These people obviously do not understand the equation money = gold, especially in the morning, you are late because of them. The green light which the bus would have otherwise gone through if they were not holding on to the line...
Couldn't agree more - better late than never Welcome to the real world, this happens (be it in a que for theatre tickets or at the supermarket) and is a fact of life. We can only hope that things keep on improving and that some people learn some patience - as they say, patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Sorry to say this but please dont be fooled, the REAL Auckland train consists two carriages only. Yes.. one locomotive towing another. I have such an urge to take a photo of it, but too bad every time i see it im driving on the high way.
For every pic you take of two carriages I can show you a pick of 4 to 5 carriages (as I witnessed this evening along Beach Road). It depends on the time of the day and the route. Let's get our facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I also have very bad experience with the train. Firstly, it is WAY too shaky. I thought we were going to derail the first time i took the Auckland train. Secondly, the ticketing system is even worse than the bus. Literally, they send someone to charge you after you sit on the train.
I have had the same experience on some of the trains and I have also experienced a smooth ride on other services. The good news is that the lines are being electrified and we will also be getting new trains to serve Auckland. It is not the doom and gloom that you would like people to believe. See it as an experience and lighten up - now you have some stories to tell others

As for the ticketing - you are aware that this will change in the not-so-distant future ... it is not unusual for conductors to clip tickets on trains, it happens in many countries all over the world. At least our trains are clean and we don't have people on the platforms squeezing people into trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Once again sorry, but this thread is definitely not a faithful representation of Auckland's real public transportation system.
Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation .... The HOP card has been launched, public transport usage is on the increase and the number of people moving through Britomart is increasing (and yes, the pic of Britomart train station and the train is also real - it is not a prop), trams are returning - I can show you pics of people installing the tracks, the pic of the passenger information system is real and it runs on time (for me) and you can see them all over Auckland, the pics of New Lynn train station is real and so are the pics of Newmarket train station.

I ask you once again - Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation ?

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 6th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #53
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,072
Likes (Received): 8789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
What an exaggeration, I have never experienced this - it is a gross generalisation. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but I guess that my area is probably better served than where you live. This may apply to you but not to everybody. Besides - delays are not unique to Auckland.
Delays occur on long distance bus routes that lack priority measures and therefore many of the non-segregated routes often have DLY then disappear from the board because the drivers turn off the GPS system when they get full so they don't appear on the signs. Happens quite a lot on H&E routes in particular during peak (680 and 681 are good examples). They often drive past full because of their low frequency. Also happens on other buses I've taken including out West and down South during peak.

There are cities that do avoid delays largely on their network due to a few important points - segregation, shorter routes meaning less chance for a delay, higher frequency, faster boarding of PAX due to ticketing simplicity etc. A few of these measures are being done in Auckland now and so delays on the system should decrease. Of course, we have a long way to go, but like you rightly say, we've started at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I have had the same experience on some of the trains and I have also experienced a smooth ride on other services. The good news is that the lines are being electrified and we will also be getting new trains to serve Auckland. It is not the doom and gloom that you would like people to believe. See it as an experience and lighten up - now you have some stories to tell others
Can't wait for electrification! It's really exciting to see the mountings for the catenary at places like Newmarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
As for the ticketing - you are aware that this will change in the not-so-distant future ... it is not unusual for conductors to clip tickets on trains, it happens in many countries all over the world. At least our trains are clean and we don't have people on the platforms squeezing people into trains.
The plan is (apparently from speaking to HOP personnel at Britomart today) that HOP should be fully on board all public transport next year so that's great! What was a disappointment is that they confirmed that there will be no monthly tickets at all meaning public transport will get more expensive for many people taking more than one trip which is a bit of a pain. You and I should team up and campaign to Auckland Transport so that they ensure we get a card that includes monthly tickets that cover the entire Auckland region so that PT can be taken for leisure trips too as well as just commutes.

Clipping of tickets is quite rare overseas these days. It occurs only on long distance trains really as urban systems are either closed or honour-based. Long distance trains have less stops meaning more chance for revenue gains by having a train guard check tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation .... The HOP card has been launched, public transport usage is on the increase and the number of people moving through Britomart is increasing (and yes, the pic of Britomart train station and the train is also real - it is not a prop), trams are returning - I can show you pics of people installing the tracks, the pic of the passenger information system is real and it runs on time (for me) and you can see them all over Auckland, the pics of New Lynn train station is real and so are the pics of Newmarket train station.

I ask you once again - Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation ?
I think he means that you've not taken photos of the more grotty stations - but who in this subforum does that in their cities?! We all want to see the best stations and well, so be it that is exactly what you've done and I'm glad to see it! It's good to see the improved stations like Newmarket or New Lynn. Sure, the entire network isn't like that and we have some bad stations with nothing more than a tagged bus shelter to shield from the elements, but most cities (bar very few round the world) have less than stellar stations at points so that criticism is beyond unfair.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #54
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
What an exaggeration, I have never experienced this - it is a gross generalisation. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but I guess that my area is probably better served than where you live. This may apply to you but not to everybody. Besides - delays are not unique to Auckland.
It is normal practice for me to wait for my bus over 20 minutes every evening. It is funny because i often see people, who finish an hour earlier than me, and have been waiting for the bus since, and is still waiting when i finish my class.

It is not a generalisation. It is amazing how you can start an argument over whose bus route is the most shittiest in Auckland. Doesnt that just shows how everybody is experiencing what i am experiencing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Couldn't agree more - better late than never Welcome to the real world, this happens (be it in a que for theatre tickets or at the supermarket) and is a fact of life. We can only hope that things keep on improving and that some people learn some patience - as they say, patience is a virtue
No, patience does not justify this. All the situations i have described can easily be avoided. They are not inevitable. Hence it shows the lack of value of time in people's mind. A city should be fast paced. Not like this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I have had the same experience on some of the trains and I have also experienced a smooth ride on other services. The good news is that the lines are being electrified and we will also be getting new trains to serve Auckland. It is not the doom and gloom that you would like people to believe. See it as an experience and lighten up - now you have some stories to tell others

As for the ticketing - you are aware that this will change in the not-so-distant future ... it is not unusual for conductors to clip tickets on trains, it happens in many countries all over the world. At least our trains are clean and we don't have people on the platforms squeezing people into trains.
To reply to you, i would like to first clarify that Auckland train is a substitute for or rather, serves as metro. It does not take you from Auckland to Wellington, but rather Auckland CBD to Mt Wellington. Both the distance, the timetable and the purpose justifies this.

This said, i think it would be appropriate to draw reference of oversea metros as a comparison to Auckland trains. I have never seen a metro system where conductors come around clipping tickets. The future electrical trains does not change the fact that Auckland train is well behind international standards (i really wonder how long it would take to implement this change when it takes literally years just to repair 500m of road in NZ). The train is NOT clean. Partly due to the fact that the seat is covered in cloth. To me, it looks as if it can not be removed and hence washed. It is disturbing thinking how long the cloth has been in use and how many people have sat on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation .... The HOP card has been launched, public transport usage is on the increase and the number of people moving through Britomart is increasing (and yes, the pic of Britomart train station and the train is also real - it is not a prop), trams are returning - I can show you pics of people installing the tracks, the pic of the passenger information system is real and it runs on time (for me) and you can see them all over Auckland, the pics of New Lynn train station is real and so are the pics of Newmarket train station.
I will show you more than one.

Firstly, HOP is not a faithful representation of the ticketing system. It has been launched, but it has not been yet implemented. How many regular bus riders as of today is using HOP rather than the conventional Go Rider? None.

Secondly, the train stations are not faithful representations. Out of how many stations in Auckland actually look like the photos you have posted above? 3/30 i would say. Britomart, New Market and New Lynn. Showing pictures of three best station is plainly misleading.

Thirdly, the Link bus you posted barely represent the majority of the buses in Auckland. In reality, the majority of Auckland buses are those 1990's buses which do not even have air conditioning. Yes, i have done statistics, counting the different type of buses that went pass while i was waiting at my bus stop.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #55
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
It is normal practice for me to wait for my bus over 20 minutes every evening. It is funny because i often see people, who finish an hour earlier than me, and have been waiting for the bus since, and is still waiting when i finish my class.

It is not a generalisation. It is amazing how you can start an argument over whose bus route is the most shittiest in Auckland. Doesnt that just shows how everybody is experiencing what i am experiencing?
Like I said, it does happen but I have never experienced it and I know of many people that are very happy with the service they get in their area. If it pains you so much - why don't you move to an area that is better served ? or even better move out of NZ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
No, patience does not justify this. All the situations i have described can easily be avoided. They are not inevitable. Hence it shows the lack of value of time in people's mind. A city should be fast paced. Not like this.
You are obviously comparing apples with pears - Auckland's known for it's laid back attitude and that is why it is one of the world's best cities for quality of life. Many Europeans, Americans and Canadians have said to me that they can learn from Auckland and take time to smell the roses. It is one of the pro's of the city and if you can't understand that then you are a fish out of water and you should look at moving to the likes of NYC You are not going to get fast paced here and thank God for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
To reply to you, i would like to first clarify that Auckland train is a substitute for or rather, serves as metro. It does not take you from Auckland to Wellington, but rather Auckland CBD to Mt Wellington. Both the distance, the timetable and the purpose justifies this.

This said, i think it would be appropriate to draw reference of oversea metros as a comparison to Auckland trains. I have never seen a metro system where conductors come around clipping tickets. The future electrical trains does not change the fact that Auckland train is well behind international standards (i really wonder how long it would take to implement this change when it takes literally years just to repair 500m of road in NZ).
There is a train from Auckland to Wellington. If I am not mistaken it travels every day ? I am also not denying that there is room for improvement but rather than stagnation there is change taking place and the new rolling stock etc. will be great. Where you tend to see a glass half empty, I see it as half full. Optimism conquers pessimism. There isn't a public transport system in the world without it's problems and there is always room for improvement. It is the nature of Human beings to never be satisfied - as you have so blatantly demonstrated I have been on trains in other countries where they have ticket conductors. As for the roads .... Oh please ... you will be hard pressed to find a pot-hole on most main routes and many of the roading projects are ahead of schedule - stop exaggerating and generalising, it isn't attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
The train is NOT clean. Partly due to the fact that the seat is covered in cloth. To me, it looks as if it can not be removed and hence washed. It is disturbing thinking how long the cloth has been in use and how many people have sat on it.
Now I get it - you are OCD I have been on trains where it smells like toilets, graffiti inside and out, torn upholstery, litter everywhere, thugs terrorizing the train users, people hanging out of the trains, people running around on top of the trains, people urinating out of the windows You need to get out and experience the real world and then you will thank God for the trains that we have here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I will show you more than one.

Firstly, HOP is not a faithful representation of the ticketing system. It has been launched, but it has not been yet implemented. How many regular bus riders as of today is using HOP rather than the conventional Go Rider? None.
It was launched THREE days ago - it is a huge effort and the article does state that "bus users in Auckland will SOON be able to take advantage of a new smartcard for public transport" and "the Hop smartcard replaces Go Rider cards and will be ROLLED OUT OVER THE COMING MONTHS" No where did I state that you can go and get one now and hop on the bus with it (no pun intended). I have not mis-represented anything. Read the article before you jump to conclusions .... FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Secondly, the train stations are not faithful representations. Out of how many stations in Auckland actually look like the photos you have posted above? 3/30 i would say. Britomart, New Market and New Lynn. Showing pictures of three best station is plainly misleading.
This thread is THREE days old mate - I am not a robot - I have a life. Give me a chance: lol: There are many more stations that I will post here and there are some great ones that I still have to show eg. Panmure, Grafton, Henderson etc. (and some that aren't that great). I still have to do ferries, the buses and lots more. Don't be so ungrateful This thread is a work in progress just as our public transport system is What I have shown thus far is not a mis-representation of the portrayed train stations. .... FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Thirdly, the Link bus you posted barely represent the majority of the buses in Auckland. In reality, the majority of Auckland buses are those 1990's buses which do not even have air conditioning. Yes, i have done statistics, counting the different type of buses that went pass while i was waiting at my bus stop.
Like I stated above, this thread is 3 days old and I am busy composing a gallery of all the bus types and there are some that are even better than the Link (just as there is older stock as well - I have never said that all of the buses are like the LINK .... no mis-representation here either - the LINK is the LINK). Also, there is a METRO bus behind the the LINK. The new buses will be delivered soon and I will post those as well - along with the new outer LOOP system etc. ..... FAIL

If you are so intent on focusing on the "dark side" of Auckland's public transport - why don't you start your own thread (nobody is stopping you) ?. I am sure that there are many miserable people who will love your portrayal (birds of a feather all flock together). If my thread annoys you so much there is a solution - don't click on it and just ignore it - it is very simple

Life lesson # 1: Patience is a virtue.

Life lesson # 2: I must try to be more optimistic and less pessimistic.

Life lesson # 3: Keep repeating this to yourself, I must stop to smell the roses and not jump to conclusions or else I will look and feel like a real fool.

Have a great day further and I hope that you don't experience any delays today

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 7th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #56
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Delays occur on long distance bus routes that lack priority measures and therefore many of the non-segregated routes often have DLY then disappear from the board because the drivers turn off the GPS system when they get full so they don't appear on the signs. Happens quite a lot on H&E routes in particular during peak (680 and 681 are good examples). They often drive past full because of their low frequency. Also happens on other buses I've taken including out West and down South during peak.

There are cities that do avoid delays largely on their network due to a few important points - segregation, shorter routes meaning less chance for a delay, higher frequency, faster boarding of PAX due to ticketing simplicity etc. A few of these measures are being done in Auckland now and so delays on the system should decrease. Of course, we have a long way to go, but like you rightly say, we've started at least.
I didn't deny that it does happen and like I stated it hasn't happened to me. I guess that I am one of the lucky ones As for the improvements - AMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Can't wait for electrification! It's really exciting to see the mountings for the catenary at places like Newmarket.
Couldn't agree more - bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The plan is (apparently from speaking to HOP personnel at Britomart today) that HOP should be fully on board all public transport next year so that's great! What was a disappointment is that they confirmed that there will be no monthly tickets at all meaning public transport will get more expensive for many people taking more than one trip which is a bit of a pain. You and I should team up and campaign to Auckland Transport so that they ensure we get a card that includes monthly tickets that cover the entire Auckland region so that PT can be taken for leisure trips too as well as just commutes.
It is a work in progress and I am sure that there will be many kinks to iron out. At least it is out there and things are moving along The article that I posted does state that it is a work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Clipping of tickets is quite rare overseas these days. It occurs only on long distance trains really as urban systems are either closed or honour-based. Long distance trains have less stops meaning more chance for revenue gains by having a train guard check tickets.
Not long now and we will join the majority of Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I think he means that you've not taken photos of the more grotty stations - but who in this subforum does that in their cities?! We all want to see the best stations and well, so be it that is exactly what you've done and I'm glad to see it! It's good to see the improved stations like Newmarket or New Lynn. Sure, the entire network isn't like that and we have some bad stations with nothing more than a tagged bus shelter to shield from the elements, but most cities (bar very few round the world) have less than stellar stations at points so that criticism is beyond unfair.
Like I said to Kix111 - this thread is THREE days old ... I don't spend my life at SSC Give me a chance and I will get around to doing it. My threads are constructed and have a purpose - all good things come to those who wait

SIDE NOTE:
Right now this thread is being derailed (excuse the pun) with niff-naff and arguments that don't hold any water eg. mis-representation (come on ) ... it is annoying me and I don't like to be annoyed. Anyways - thanks for your explanations, it is much appreciated Just leave me to get on with the job at hand I don't have the time to argue about crap and nor am I willing to have a debate - it is a waste of energy - as you know "everybody is an expert at SSC"

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 6th, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #57
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,072
Likes (Received): 8789

Just to clarify, Syd. I meant his criticism of you was highly unfair! I was saying that no one on this sub-forum shows bad stations - only the good ones and there is nothing wrong with that at all!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #58
dj4life
Registered User
 
dj4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: World
Posts: 24,279
Likes (Received): 48594

Wow! Great and informative thread! Also, nice to see 'Volvos' invading the transport systems around the World!
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #59
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
It was launched THREE days ago - it is a huge effort and the article does state that "bus users in Auckland will SOON be able to take advantage of a new smartcard for public transport" and "the Hop smartcard replaces Go Rider cards and will be ROLLED OUT OVER THE COMING MONTHS" No where did I state that you can go and get one now and hop on the bus with it (no pun intended). I have not mis-represented anything. Read the article before you jump to conclusions .... FAIL.

This thread is THREE days old mate - I am not a robot - I have a life. Give me a chance: lol: There are many more stations that I will post here and there are some great ones that I still have to show eg. Panmure, Grafton, Henderson etc. (and some that aren't that great). I still have to do ferries, the buses and lots more. Don't be so ungrateful This thread is a work in progress just as our public transport system is What I have shown thus far is not a mis-representation of the portrayed train stations. .... FAIL.

Like I stated above, this thread is 3 days old and I am busy composing a gallery of all the bus types and there are some that are even better than the Link (just as there is older stock as well - I have never said that all of the buses are like the LINK .... no mis-representation here either - the LINK is the LINK). Also, there is a METRO bus behind the the LINK. The new buses will be delivered soon and I will post those as well - along with the new outer LOOP system etc. ..... FAIL

Have a great day further and I hope that you don't experience any delays today
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation .... I ask you once again - Show me one example where this thread is not a faithful representation ?
My statements are not "FAIL"ures (not to mention the use of capital "FAIL“ really just backfires on your statement). As of today, what i have said is perfectly true as oppose to what you have posted in your thread. You were the one who asked me to show you examples where this thread is not a faithful representation and i plainly did. It is of ordinary sense to interpret the phrase "this thread" consisting of articles and pictures you have posted (post #1-12). I can not foretell what you are going to post nor can i comment based on what has not happened.

As you have requested i will not go further into any other arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Have a great day further and I hope that you don't experience any delays today
Thank you. I drove today. Just came back. Otherwise i might have still been waiting in the cold night for the bus which comes once every hour after 6-30.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Just to clarify, Syd. I meant his criticism of you was highly unfair! I was saying that no one on this sub-forum shows bad stations - only the good ones and there is nothing wrong with that at all!
While disapproving me, you have also at the same time claimed that Sydney has only posted (note, past tense) the (only few) good sides of Auckland public transportation. Thank you for proving my point that this thread is not a faithful representation.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #60
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,072
Likes (Received): 8789

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Thank you. I drove today. Just came back. Otherwise i might have still been waiting in the cold night for the bus which comes once every hour after 6-30.

While disapproving me, you have also at the same time claimed that Sydney has only posted (note, past tense) the (only few) good sides of Auckland public transportation. Thank you for proving my point that this thread is not a faithful representation.
Out of interest, do you live out east (Howick/Botany area) like I do? Your experiences sound very much like my own.

Also, I agreed with a number of points you made with your post to Syd about Auckland's public transport, however, I disagree with your point about misrepresentation. Most people on the urban transport subforum only post good photos of public transport and Syd has done no different. Very few of us like portraying the bad side of our cities on SSC on the international forums. On the country forums people tend to be more open.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
auckland, tram

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium