daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #61
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Having many others posting only the good side of their public transport system in this forum does morally justify Sydney's posts. However this thread in its essence is still a false representation of Auckland public transport - which Sydney eagerly denies.

And nope i do not live in Howick/Bootany, i take Metrolink buses. Having such experience is not surprising, really, rather it is more surprising not to have such experience.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #62
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Having many others posting only the good side of their public transport system in this forum does morally justify Sydney's posts. However this thread in its essence is still a false representation of Auckland public transport - which Sydney eagerly denies.

And nope i do not live in Howick/Bootany, i take Metrolink buses. Having such experience is not surprising, really, rather it is more surprising not to have such experience.
You have to be the most stubborn and/or the most ignorant person on this planet - this thread is FOUR days old .... why can't you get it through your thick skull that I am still going to post more (which includes the good and the BAD).

There is no way in hell that I can cover Auckland's entire public transport system in one go. I have to get out there - take photographs, upload them and then post them in this thread - it all takes time and effort. I have a career and a social life - I don't spend my life at SSC. Instead of being proactive and contributing to this thread I am spending my time trying to justify myself to you !

I don't even know why I am bothering with you - you blatantly have an agenda and you are way too thick for me to even contend with. Carry on at your own peril I want nothing to do with you. Besides that I can post what I feel fit to post and I don't have to satisfy your whims - I have already told you what to do if you don't like it.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 8th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old April 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #63
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

Kix, you have jumped the gun on this one. Please let Sydney present his material and then maybe a calmer discussion can ensue. Thank you
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #64
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Wow! Great and informative thread! Also, nice to see 'Volvos' invading the transport systems around the World!
Thanks mate, only the best will do Perhaps now I can get back on track Thanks for the comment, it is much appreciated
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #65
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

BUS + TRAIN service upgrades announced

image hosted on flickr

11 APR 11 22°C
by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr

The Mayor has announced a variety of upgrades of bus and train services across Auckland. Len Brown has been working with Auckland Transport on the issue in the wake of figures showing public transport patronage at its highest level in 60 years. The Mayor says when demand for public transport is increasing at the rate it is at the moment, providing enough trains and buses is obviously an issue. “I’m pleased with the speed at which Auckland Transport and the operators have responded to the issue, and I encourage people to continue to let us know when they see potential issues.” Transport Committee chair Mike Lee says, "Aucklanders are using public transport in record numbers. It's no longer correct to say people will only take their car to work.

"We need to cater for more people using buses and trains and that is why we need projects like the inner-city rail loop to increase services to the west and south, unclog our roads and deliver economic growth." The latest figures show that between 1996 and February 2011, bus patronage has increased by 61.2 per cent, ferry by 89.2 per cent, train by 341.5 per cent, with an overall public transport patronage increase of 79.6 per cent. The upgrades involve bus services to the Hibiscus Coast, the North Shore, the isthmus and Botany.

It also involves train services on the Eastern and Southern Lines.

On Hibiscus Coast bus routes including 893, 895 and 897 buses are reaching capacity at peak. Larger vehicles have been moved to areas of greatest need. Phase One of the Silverdale Park and Ride will be complete by the middle of the year. Increased frequency is also being considered.

On route 881 from Long Bay to Newmarket, two additional services will be added to cope with peak hour capacity issues.

On East Coast Bays and Sunnynook Express routes 863x and 874x and on Sandringham Road, complaints about peak hour capacity issues are being investigated in association with NZ Bus.

On the Northern Express route peak capacity issues will be dealt with by increasing frequency and sourcing extra buses.

On Onewa Road and on the route to Botany, extra capacity has been provided on a temporary basis while a permanent solution is investigated.

On Mt Eden Road and Dominion Road, extras buses are being brought on to those routes to deal with capacity issues in the morning and afternoon peaks.

On the Southern and Eastern train lines, four additional carriages are being brought on and five car trains will operate from the end of next month.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 21st, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM   #66
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Overseas bidders vie for Auckland TRAINS

image hosted on flickr

COLLAGE 1

Two bidders - a Spanish train maker and a South Korean Hyundai subsidiary - will compete for the $500 million contract for Auckland's new electric trains. State-owned rail operator KiwiRail has announced the shortlist for the 38 new electric trains and maintenance contract is Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) and Hyundai Rotem. The winning bidder is expected to be decided by the end of September, says KiwiRail chief executive Jim Quinn. CAF, a public company listed on the Madrid stock exchange, makes high speed and commuter trains, locomotives, and subway and regional trains. Founded in 1860 and based in Beasain in Basque country, its trains are running in the US, Europe, South America, India, east Asia and North Africa. It has around 2000 staff and its revenues last financial were $2.7 billion.

Hyundai Rotem is a subsidiary of the Hyundai Motor Group. It makes railway, defence and plant systems. Major sales include trains for the Hong Kong and New Delhi metros, automated trains for Canada, commuter trains for regional rail in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and an upgrade and train build for the Philippine National Railways. The company was founded in 1999 as Korea Rolling Stock Corporation and changed its name to Railroading Technology System, or Rotem, in 2002. It got its new name in 2007. A $2 billion upgrade of the Auckland and Wellington metro train services is part of a $4 billion 10 year plan by KiwiRail to resurrect New Zealand's national rail service.

The Rail and Maritime Transport Union is calling for a firm committment from KiwiRail that it will enforce local content provisions it placed in the tender documents. General secretary Wayne Butson says the union's preference has always been that new trains are built in New Zealand by New Zealanders, but with this option ruled out by KiwiRail and the Government, the next logical step is to ensure the successful overseas contractor involves local businesses in as much of the construction as possible. Quinn would sayonly that local content use is one of "many factors" taken into account in the two-phased tender process which considered quality and price. Up to 10 companies tendered for the Auckland trains contract.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 21st, 2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM   #67
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I hope CAF's product is based on their FEVE, Euskotren and SFM.

FEVE train

http://home.clara.net/johndarm/Europhots/feve-emu.jpg

Euskotren train

http://www.railwaymania.com/docs/389...en_900_001.jpg

SFM train
image hosted on flickr
'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibertram/5553136039/

All those trains run on 1000mm gauge tracks.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:31 AM   #68
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I hope CAF's product is based on their FEVE, Euskotren and SFM. All those trains run on 1000mm gauge tracks.
Thanks for the info, I am hoping that we go with CAF and not Hyundai .... I would be happy with any of those trains from CAF
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM   #69
kix111

The official website says HOP is coming to Auckland buses Q2 and Northern Stars is to have HOP by 8th May. I cant wait until Metrolink starts using HOP. This way i can free one slot in my wallet for some other card.

Also i risked my life taking this picture :p

This always make me laugh, one locomotive pulling another.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #70
kix111

This sort of made me laugh ahahaha

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #71
kix111

Wonder if the card can still be read thru the wallet?
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #72
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
snip
Probably, if it uses the same technology as other contactless fare cards.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #73
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

15 000 Swap to HOP

image hosted on flickr

HOP LOGO

The initial start to HOP has been a roaring success, Auckland Transport said today, with more than 15,000 bus users on the North Shore swapping their Go Rider card for a new HOP card with a Snapper logo. Today was the first day public transport commuters began tagging on and tagging off public transport, with the rollout beginning on North Star buses. The rollout continues in coming weeks on Go West and Waka Pacific services from 22 May, followed by Metrolink and LINK services on 6 June. HOP cards are available now from retail outlets.

Go Rider card balances can be transferred to the new HOP card at selected Westfield malls or at Britomart Transport Centre. Some of the benefits HOP users will soon be enjoying include; Saving 10% or more off the normal cash fare, Faster and easier boarding, HOP is flexible - you can top up your HOP card with e-money for the greatest flexibility or load it with 10 trips, A HOP balance can be protected if it is lost or stolen, HOP is online - Register your card to protect your balance and create a MyHOP account to access your card's balance, transactions and journey history online.

Auckland Mayor, Len Brown, says, "The HOP card and integrated ticketing is one of the keys to continuing the surge in the growth in public transport patronage in Auckland. “It is just another measure we are taking to make public transport more convenient, cost effective, comfortable and faster. More people now use public transport than at any time in the past 60 years - I am determined we can double current patronage in the foreseeable future and the HOP card is one way we will do that”.

Image of HOP READER can be viewed HERE

Last edited by SYDNEY; May 10th, 2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #74
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Public Transport users set a new RECORD

image hosted on flickr

Britomart
by craigsydnz, on Flickr

For the first time in decades public transport usage exceeded 7 million passenger journeys in a single month and for the first time ever, more than one million passengers boarded a train in March. The new rail figures are included in Auckland Transport’s patronage report, released today. It reports a total overall increase in public transport passenger numbers, reaching 64.5 million in the 12 months to the end of March an increase of 8.3 per cent on last year.

Highlights include:

Rail monthly patronage for March is 1,117,781 up 21.8 per cent on March 2010.

March monthly patronage was 7,067,239, an increase of 506,025 boardings or 7.7 per cent on March 2010.

Auckland public transport patronage totalled 64,581,631 passengers for the 12 months to March 2011 an increase of 4,971,450 boardings or 8.3 per cent.

Northern Express bus service carried 1.99 million passengers for the 12 months with a growth in March 2011 compared to March 2010 of 10.7 per cent.

Auckland Transport Chief Executive David Warburton says the delivery of quality facilities and reliable services along with the return of students to tertiary study and rising petrol costs continues to push patronage growth to record levels.

“These numbers continue to show spectacular growth in public transport usage proving that there is no doubt Aucklanders want more quality public transport services. Auckland Transport is responding to this requirement from the market through a number of initiatives. Some of these include:

On Hibiscus Coast bus routes including 893, 895 and 897 larger vehicles have been moved to areas of greatest need. Phase one of the Silverdale Park and Ride will be complete by the middle of the year.

On route 881 from Long Bay to Newmarket, two additional services will be added to cope with peak hour capacity issues.

On the Northern Express route more buses will be added during peak hours and night time services extended to alleviate overcrowding and get people moving faster

On Onewa Road and on the route to Botany, extra capacity has been provided on a temporary basis while a permanent solution is investigated.

On Mt Eden Road and Dominion Road, extras buses are being brought on to those routes in the morning and afternoon peaks.

On the Southern and Eastern train lines, four additional carriages are being added and five car trains will operate from the end of next month.

“Auckland Transport along with KiwiRail continues to invest in rail with a programme to extend all platforms to accommodate six-car trains scheduled for completion by end-May 2011. Two final tenderers have also been selected by KiwiRail for Auckland’s new electric train fleet, due to arrive in 2013”, said Dr Warburton. The Mayor has congratulated Auckland Transport and its partners for its response to the continuing growth in patronage.

“A viable public transport system is key to my vision of Auckland as the world’s most liveable city and demand will undoubtedly continue to grow as electrification and integrated ticketing take hold. “However the real solution to this increased demand and to fixing Auckland transport system is our major transport projects like the Auckland Rail Tunnel”.

During March and early April, Auckland Transport sought public feedback on its proposal to redesign bus services in the CBD and surrounding suburbs to make them quicker and easier to use. More than 1100 responses were received. Feedback is being reviewed and final decisions are expected to be known by July 2011.

Last edited by SYDNEY; May 10th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #75
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

The uptake of HOP is mostly due to the fact that they're forcing people to take it as they're phasing GoRiders out so of course politicians will be calling it a "success" despite the inherent flaws in the ticketing system as it currently stands (which may be improved in the future). I know I wouldn't use it as a regular user due to the lack of monthly tickets (as discussed in the Kiwi forum) but that's me.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #76
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The uptake of HOP is mostly due to the fact that they're forcing people to take it as they're phasing GoRiders out so of course politicians will be calling it a "success" despite the inherent flaws in the ticketing system as it currently stands (which may be improved in the future). I know I wouldn't use it as a regular user due to the lack of monthly tickets (as discussed in the Kiwi forum) but that's me.
So there are no weekly or Monthly passes?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #77
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
So there are no weekly or Monthly passes?
There are currently weekly/monthly passes for each individual public transport operator - example, a weekly/monthly pass for trains only, a weekly/monthly pass for one bus company (of which there are five) and a weekly/monthly pass for the ferries. The HOP card is going to integrate ticketing across Auckland (finally), however, it will be more of a SUICA/PASMO style card where people get a discount on the cash fare rather than actually having specific passes. This is the current plan anyway.

From speaking to HOP customer service it seems that monthly/weekly cards are not an option, rather they'll go for the fare cap approach.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #78
kix111

Just last month i have seen people getting on Metrolink buses with a Monthly card. They simply show the card to the driver when the get on the bus without having to issue a ticket. Not sure if that can still be used after HOP is fully implemented.

Is HOP really faster? I dont think so. It takes 3 seconds for the HOP card to register on the scanner. Multiplying it by two, that is 6 seconds gone. Hence the amount of time consumed in getting on and off the bus using HOP is roughly the same as using Metrolink. HOP only offloads half of the time needed to get on the bus onto the time needed to get off the bus. Not sure about other places but in Shanghai the transport card registers instantly. No delay, no wait. Whats more, the scanner doesnt even read HOP card if you place it inside your wallet. I simply cant understand why the government doesnt introduce something better in abolishing the ancient GoRider system.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #79
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Just last month i have seen people getting on Metrolink buses with a Monthly card. They simply show the card to the driver when the get on the bus without having to issue a ticket. Not sure if that can still be used after HOP is fully implemented.

Is HOP really faster? I dont think so. It takes 3 seconds for the HOP card to register on the scanner. Multiplying it by two, that is 6 seconds gone. Hence the amount of time consumed in getting on and off the bus using HOP is roughly the same as using Metrolink. HOP only offloads half of the time needed to get on the bus onto the time needed to get off the bus. Not sure about other places but in Shanghai the transport card registers instantly. No delay, no wait. Whats more, the scanner doesnt even read HOP card if you place it inside your wallet. I simply cant understand why the government doesnt introduce something better in abolishing the ancient GoRider system.
Other places I have used RFiD cards include Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, London and Stockholm. All register instantly upon using at the fare gates.

As for monthlies, they will be phased out upon full implementation apparently.
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #80
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

I used the HOP card for the first time today and it took 2 seconds to register, embarking and disembarking. Two seconds is no big deal and nobody else seemed bothered by it either.

Tags
auckland, tram