daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #81
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

More precisely it takes 2.5 seconds i have timed it, but that is not the issue, the issue is why couldnt it be instant register like every single other magnetic transportation card?
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #82
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Different technologies = different capabilities.

Plus, though magnetic cards are instant, some RFID cards can be a little slower sometimes. But hey, at the end of the day it's still infinitely faster than cash boarding or our current passes that you have to insert into the reader. Speed of reading isn't really something you can fault HOP for. The ticketing options are something you can fault them for though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #83
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

I was with Sydney and counted 1.5 seconds. The reader might just like some people more than others
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #84
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

How can one estimate 0.5 of a second anyway to any degree of certainty without using a computer to accurately measure the transaction start to finish? Humans are terrible at exact timings and there will always be a large degree of error - even more so given the times we are estimating are tiny. The discussion is a little fruitless. Yes, there is a slight delay, but no it's not significant enough to be a detrimental feature of the system and yes it is MUCH quicker than the current system on offer. Even with the old GoRiders, one had to insert and have the driver PRINT a ticket - this took far more than the 1-5 seconds that it may take to register a HOP card.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #85
kix111

Ok regardless of the time, my point is that the delay is long enough for you to stop walking and wait for your HOP to register before you proceed any further, and that sort of defeat the idea behind implementing such a system.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:47 AM   #86
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

PUBLIC TRANSPORT useage keeps on increasing

image hosted on flickr

30 APR 11 17°C
by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr

Auckland public transport patronage totalled 64,781,426 passengers for the 12 months to April 2011 an increase of 4,825,265 boardings or +8.0%.

April monthly patronage was 5,312,520 an increase of 199,795 boardings or +3.9% on April 2010.

Rail monthly patronage for April is 821,363 an increase of 92,593 boardings or +12.7% on April 2010.

Northern Express bus service carried 2.0 million passenger trips for the first time for the 12-months to April 2011 with a growth of +16.1%.

All other bus use reach record highs of 48,547,396 passenger trips for the 12-months to April 2011, an increase of 3,168,071 or +7.0%.
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #87
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

New LINK buses to waterfront and central suburbs

Wednesday, 6 July 2011, 3:20 pm
Press Release: Auckland Transport

A high frequency bus linking Queen St and K'Rd to Wynyard Quarter is one of two new routes being added to Auckland's popular LINK bus service. Auckland Transport and NZ Bus will introduce a City LINK running the length of Queen Street every seven to eight minutes, with every second bus going to Wynyard Quarter. An Outer LINK will run every 15 minutes around suburbs like Pt Chevalier, Mt Albert, St Lukes, Mt Eden, Epsom, Newmarket and Parnell, as well as Auckland and AUT universities and Wellesley St in the city centre. The existing LINK will be renamed the Inner LINK and have some of its route changed to make it more direct and more reliable. The new LINK services build upon the success of the current LINK, providing better connections to major commuter and tourist destinations.

New high quality buses, painted red, amber and green, will operate on the three LINK services. Meeting Euro 5+ emissions standards, they will be 90 per cent cleaner than most of the diesel buses currently operating on Queen St. They will also be wheelchair-accessible, air conditioned, and have more seated passenger capacity. Buses to suburbs like Ponsonby, Herne Bay, Grey Lynn and Pt. Chevalier will also see changes, including services moving from Queen Street to Albert Street to speed up journeys. The new services will begin on 21 August. The final routes follow consultation in April which received about 1200 submissions. After six months of operation Auckland Transport will review the new services and ask for feedback from passengers.

Auckland Transport Public Transport Operations Manager Mark Lambert says the success of the LINK will be built upon to create three highly recognisable bus services. "People want to be able to easily understand where a bus goes and how often it runs. We expect that simplifying bus services in the area and creating more LINK routes will encourage more people on to public transport. "Creating a single high quality bus service along Queen St and moving others to Albert St ties in with Auckland Council's aim to make the city centre more pedestrian friendly.

"People will need to get used to changing the bus or the bus stop they use, or in some cases a short walk at one end of their journey. But overall the changes will be positive and should drive a one million increase in passenger journeys for this area during the next few years." NZ Bus CEO Zane Fulljames says the introduction of the new services clearly demonstrates the company's commitment to provide a step change in bus public transport provision in conjunction with its partners. "They also show the benefits of an aligned focus on delivering high quality, safe, reliable and frequent services to customers.

"NZ Bus is investing $66m in 158 brand new Euro 5+ vehicles that will begin operating in Auckland during the next 18 months. The first batch is earmarked for these new services; the team is pretty excited about the progress being made." A campaign to inform passengers about the changes to bus routes in the CBD and Western Bays suburbs will begin in the lead up to their introduction on 21 August. The changes will be reviewed in six months to assess how well they have worked.

Full details of the new services will be available on the Maxx website towards the end of July.

Changes include

The LINK will be renamed the INNER LINK and two changes will be made to its route, travelling via Albert St rather than Queen St, and direct from Ponsonby and Karangahape Rd to Auckland City Hospital and Newmarket via Grafton Bridge

The CITY LINK will become the flagship city centre bus. The current City Circuit bus will be replaced. For the journey between Britomart and the universities, the Mt Eden Rd b.line will now depart every 10 minutes from the front of Britomart Station on Queen St

The 004 and 006 will become part of the OUTER LINK. The 005 will continue to run at peak time, over an extended route from Pt Chevalier beach to Britomart, via Albert St

The 010 will be extended to provide a connection to Wynyard Quarter from Ponsonby, Grey Lynn and Pt Chevalier

A new 020 service, using Albert St through the CBD to Britomart, will replace parts of the 015, 017, 024-028, 034 and 035 services, running every 10 minutes at peak, every 20 minutes during the rest of weekdays and Saturdays and every 30 minutes evenings and Saturdays. It will come from Westmere via Garnet Rd, along Richmond Rd and from Ponsonby Rd to the CBD via Freemans Bay (Franklin Rd and Wellington Street).

A new 030, using Vincent and Albert Streets through the CBD to Britomart, will replace parts of the 034, 035 and 045 services. It will come from Pt Chevalier Rd, and use Great North Rd, then Williamson Ave, Ponsonby Rd to Karangahape Rd.

The 042-045 services will no longer operate, with journeys provided by the Outer LINK, 005, 010 and 030.

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #88
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

I do like some of the changes - the outer link is an excellent idea, though bus priority measures need to be installed along its route. Like I said in the local forums, circular routes often have severe problems with timekeeping and this problem is exacerbated the larger the circumference of the route. Therefore, without bus priority measures you'll find the same curse that afflicts the link may afflict the outer link too. Hopefully the service frequency will compensate for this, but given the situation with the current Link bus I expect to see a few cancellations every now and again so buses can get back on timetable. That said, having a circular route to connect the inner suburbs is a great idea as we REALLY lack cross town connections to a decent frequency in Auckland. 15 minutes isn't a bad frequency, but I would rather have seen a full turn up and go service of 10 minutes, but that really is nit-picking.

The 020 is a good route indeed and, along with the outer link, provides a good service to the inner western suburbs so I am really pleased to see a more clear route consolidation here. One thing I'm not such a fan of is that the 10 minute frequencies (according to the MAXX website) are only during peak. Frequencies drop to 20 minutes off-peak and 30 minutes at the weekend. This is too low for an inner city bus route in my opinion - same with the 030, too low frequency for an inner city service.

The 010 is a bit of a useless route as it only runs 12 hours of the day and only at a 60 minute frequency and again with the 011 which runs only between 9:30 and 14:30 every day at a frequency of 60 minutes.

The Central Connector is good, but different bus companies use it making ticketing a bit of a pain at the moment. Once the HOP card has been rolled out across the whole network, this will be a non-issue.

The City Link is the route I am most dubious about. I am VERY annoyed they have done away with the City Circuit bus which provided free transport between Britomart and the Universities and was highly patronised. Now, with the cutting of the free bus we have to pay (or walk) between Britomart and Auckland University/AUT and I feel this is a bad move on the part of MAXX. It seems like a good way to make Students pay and reduces the attractiveness of catching the train to Britomart as now people who used to just commute by train now have to commute by bus as well and buy a new pass, making their journey quite a bit more expensive every week.

My two cents on the changes. It is a mixed bag with some excellent introductions of new routes (Outer Link) and some less than stellar changes.

Last edited by Svartmetall; July 7th, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #89
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

You are the expert when it comes to Public Transport Svarty, so I will take your word for it. I am just happy that they are no longer running down Queen Street and will instead travel down Albert Street which is just the sort of medicine it needs - extra foot traffic and better shops etc I also benefit a lot seeing that I live between College Hill Road and Beaumont Street
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #90
Ultramatic
Gotham City

Likes (Received): 1506

Very handsome and modern transport.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #91
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
You are the expert when it comes to Public Transport Svarty, so I will take your word for it. I am just happy that they are no longer running down Queen Street and will instead travel down Albert Street which is just the sort of medicine it needs - extra foot traffic and better shops etc I also benefit a lot seeing that I live between College Hill Road and Beaumont Street
Haha, that is one improvement I didn't really think about to be honest! I was only approaching it from a transport perspective rather than a whole urban form perspective, thanks for your input!

Now that you mention it, that is a really good thing that Queen Street is freed of the old, polluting buses and now only has one route that will be supplied by cleaner buses. Next step - no more cars.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #92
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

The TRAMS have arrived in Auckland and are receiving a facelift with their new livery etc Let's hope that this is the start of an extended network across the inner city

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #93
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Haha, that is one improvement I didn't really think about to be honest! I was only approaching it from a transport perspective rather than a whole urban form perspective, thanks for your input!

Now that you mention it, that is a really good thing that Queen Street is freed of the old, polluting buses and now only has one route that will be supplied by cleaner buses. Next step - no more cars.
Let's pray I hope that I live to see the day when there is only light rail in Queen Street and lots of pedestrians (and cyclists of course)

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 7th, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #94
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Longer TRAINS Introduced By Auckland Transport.

image hosted on flickr

Britomart
by timmelm, on Flickr

Longer trains will begin operating on the southern and eastern rail lines next week to help cater for the increasing popularity of Auckland’s public transport. From 18 July some trains will use five and six carriages on the southern and eastern lines, following the completion of platform extension works at a number of stations. Western Line stations have been able to cater for six carriage trains since last year. An additional five carriages are being added to the train fleet. The next upgrade to the train fleet will be with the delivery of electric trains in 2013.

Auckland Transport and train operator Veolia Transdev will match the longer trains to the busiest services. This means that some Western Line services using six carriages will operate with four instead, as carriages are reallocated to where demand needs it most. The carriages will be used on the busiest southern and eastern line services. Auckland Transport Public Transport Operations Manager Mark Lambert welcomes the arrival of the additional carriages and the completion of platform extension works on the southern and eastern lines.

“Longer trains will be able to stop at many more stations across the network now that platform extension works are completed. “Carriages are being re-allocated according to passenger demand, meaning the most popular services will have longer trains. “Rail patronage figures continue to rise, so the ability to operate longer trains on all lines gives us more flexibility. Matching the length of trains to passenger demand is part of maximising our current fleet and managing the transition to electric trains during the next few years.”

Veolia Transdev General Manager Service Delivery, Steve Wade says “five new carriages are being added to the train fleet, increasing seating availability during the morning and evening peaks on some of our busier services. “Six ‘five carriage’ trains and three ‘six carriage’ trains will be introduced over a week from 18 July on the eastern, southern and western lines which will mean more seats and more comfort for our customers on those higher demand services. “
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #95
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Public Transport High Note for June 2011

image hosted on flickr

Ferries
by theystolemyid, on Flickr

The first eight months of operation for Auckland Transport have ended on a strong note with a number of significant projects delivered to a high standard, Chief Executive, Dr David Warburton said at Auckland Transport’s Board meeting today. Dr Warburton says, “A highlight includes an 8.5% increase in public transport boardings with rail patronage about to hit the ten million passenger journey mark next week. “Over eight months, Auckland Transport has been a major part of one of the largest business reorganisations ever in New Zealand. One cannot underestimate the work that has been done by staff to ensure a fully functioning and effective organisation. “Since Auckland Transport was formed there have been a number of significant projects delivered to a high standard in a relatively brief time. These include:

The successful introduction and implementation of Auckland’s first public transport smartcard –HOP

Public transport usage up 8.5% on the previous financial year and rail patronage on track to reach a record 10 million passenger trips.

The lodgement of the first Notice of Requirement (NOR) for the AMETI project

Achieving a good outcome for Auckland from the hearing on SH20 (Waterview)

New payment systems and cheaper evening and weekend rates for Auckland Transport’s carparks

Set up of a Joint Transport Operating Centre at Smales Farm with NZTA to manage Auckland’s roading network as one network

Establishment of a structured prioritisation system for the 2011/2012 capital programme

Completion of the City Rail Loop Business case

Good progress with our partner KiwiRail on the contract to supply electric trains for Auckland

Review of Dominion Road completed

A major redesign of bus routes in the Auckland CBD and inner suburbs will be rolled out in August. A high frequency bus linking Queen Street and K’Rd to Wynyard Quarter is one of two routes being added to Auckland’s popular LINK bus service.

Positive engagement with Local Boards

Dr. Warburton said, “Auckland Transport is now well-placed to build better transport solutions for Auckland in the year ahead”. Patronage figures for the 12-months to June 2011 are included in Auckland Transport’s public transport patronage report, released today.

Highlights include:

Auckland public transport patronage totalled 65,763,655 passengers for the 12 months to June 2011 - an increase of 5,141,362 boardings or +8.5%.

June monthly patronage was 5,568,034 an increase of 414,865 boardings or +8.1% on June 2010.

Rail monthly patronage for June is 882,776 an increase of 174,269 boardings or +24.6% on June 2010.

The Northern Express bus service carried 2,056,890 passenger trips for the 12-months with a growth in June 2011 compared to June 2010 of +14.8%.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #96
kix111

Another stupid thing about HOP on top of everything else is that it doesnt show your remaining credit in your card, instead it says in a stupid voice 'please remember to check your balance' or something when you check out.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #97
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Another stupid thing about HOP on top of everything else is that it doesnt show your remaining credit in your card, instead it says in a stupid voice 'please remember to check your balance' or something when you check out.
It is tragic but thankfully I don't have to suffer the indignity of being caught out, I just zip my iPad out and check my balance online It works a treat every time
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM   #98
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

How the new LINK will look and function ....

INNER LINK - the present green buses- will be a more direct route than at present, no longer serving the University and going via Albert St instead of Queen St. 10 minutes Monday to Friday until 8pm; otherwise 15 minutes

CITY LINK – red buses serving K Rd, Queen St, Britomart and Wynard Quarter (sharing one stop with the tram). These wil be 7 to 8 minutes Monday to Saturday: every 10 minutes Sunday (K Rd to Britomart), 15 minutes Monday to Sunday to Wynard. The City LINK will become the flagship city centre bus. The current City Circuit bus will be replaced. For the journey between Britomart and the universities, the Mt Eden Rd b.line will now depart every 10 minutes from the front of Britomart Station on Queen St

OUTER LINK – orange buses will use the full Wellesley St corridor.The route comprises Herne Bay, Westmere, St Lukes,, Mt Eden and Newmarket. These will be every 15 minutes Monday to Sunday. The actual route is Wellesley St, Universities, Parnell, Newmarket, Epsom, Mt Eden,Balmoral, St Lukes. The 004 and 006 will become part of the Outer LINK. The 005 will continue to run at peak time, over an extended route from Pt Chevalier beach to Britomart, via Albert St

For Western Bays, the 020 services are: 020 10 minutes peak , 20 minutes Monday to Saturday, 30 mins nights and Sundays and the 030 30 minutes Mon-Sun.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM   #99
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
It is tragic but thankfully I don't have to suffer the indignity of being caught out, I just zip my iPad out and check my balance online It works a treat every time
Omg i never knew you could register your HOP card online. Yes i just registered mine and now i can see my balance. Come to think of it, HOP is actually a type of snapper card, which is owned by a company that has nothing to do with transportation. So there may be a little difficulties for the buses to access their company database maybe?

Still i think it would be a lot more practical if they showed you the credit balance every time you tag off. Snapper doesnt really have an iOS app so checking balance on a mobile device is not THAT easy.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #100
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Snapper and NZ Bus are the same company.

Tags
auckland, tram