daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #21
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

that can't not be Abantos because it's WNW from Callao while in that photo he is clearly looking to the SW. the mountains at the left can be Alto del Mirlo (1764m)

willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #22
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Thanks!

Along Paseo del Prado

- Plaza de Cibeles, Plaza de Canovas del Castillo, Plaza Lealtad, Plaza Independencia, Puerta de Alcalá and Museo del Prado

The green boulevard Paseo del Prado borders the East part of Madrid's city center from Parque del Retiro, in a North-South direction. Along the avenue some of the most magnificent, and also most trafficated, plazas of Madrid are located. The most important of them is Plaza de Cibeles were the beautiful City Hall is. And Museo del Prado, one of the world's most famous art museums, is of course located along Museo del Prado, as well as the Botanical Garden. Paseo del Prado begins at Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, where Atocha, Madrid's largest station is, and ends at Plaza de Cibeles, where it changes name to Paseo de Recoletos, and then changes name again to Paseo de la Castellana, and continues to the skyscraper districts in the North. Despite it is very trafficated, Paseo del Prado is a nice place to stroll.

Plaza de Cibeles

Plaza de Cibeles is where both Gran Via and Calle Alcalá ends. It is also the North end of Paseo del Prado, so it is a really busy, but also very beautiful plaza, despite all the traffic. In the middle of the square there is an imposing sculpture with a fountain. The impressive City Hall, or Palacio de Communicationes is also here, just like Banco de Espana, the great national bank, Palacio Linares and Palacio de Buenavista. Edifico Metropolis is just a few blocks from, and is visible from, the plaza. The Alcalá Gate can also be seen.
At one occasion there were a lot of emergency vehicles and police cars. I looked and saw they found the body of a dead person! Fortunately wrapped in some kind of golden material.

Palacio de Communicaciones, the current City Hall of Madrid. This impressive neo Gothic building draws attention like a magnet. Palacio de Communicaciones was built in 1909 and drawn by Antonio Palacios as the main post office of Madrid. It is also called Correos. Note Alcalá Gate to the left.

The interior is also very impressive, ufortunately we missed to go inside. It was a postal museum until 2007, when it became the City Hall, Ayuntamiento de Madrid.

The fountain of Cibeles is drawn by Ventura Rodríguez and is the most famous sculpture. It represents Cibeles, the roman godess of nature in a carriage driven by horses.

Anyone knows the name of this building next to the city hall?

Palacio de Communicaciones (left) and another majestic building, along Calle de Montalbán.

The Metropolis Building and some other landmarks seen from Plaza Cibeles. To the left is Calle Alcalá and to the right is Gran Via.

Banco de Espana, Metropolis and Palacio de Buenavista are some of the famous buildings in this picture. Palacio de Buenavista (righ), is a palace built for the Alba family, but now occupied by the army. The Duches of Alba, rumoured to be one of Goya's lovers, lived here.

The gardens of the Palacio Buenavista.

Alcalá Gate seen from Plaza Cibeles.

Plaza Independencia
Plaza Independencia is a heavy trafficated circlular plaza next to the main gate to Parque del Retiro, close to Plaza Cibeles. It is mostly famous for that the Alcalá Gate is situated in the middle, before all the traffic.

Puerta de Alcalá, or Alcala Gate, is a gate on Plaza Independencia. This neoclassical gate, now a national monument, was designed by the Italian architect Sabatini and completed in 1778.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #23
Nightsky
Illustrator

Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo

This square is very similar to Plaza Cibeles; a plaza with a sculpture fountain (Neptuno) surrounded by trafficated roads and magnificent buildings. 4 of Madrid's most exclusive hotels, Hotel Ritz, Hotel Palace, Hotel del Prado and Villa Real, are situated here. It is just next to the Prado Museum, Museo Thyssen Bornemisza and Plaza Lealtad. The buildings and sculptures at Cánovas del Castillo are illuminated after dark.

Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo is sometimes called just Plaza Neptuno. Here you can see the Palace Hotel from 1913 and the Neptune fountain. Looking West.

Fuente de Neptuno, The Neptune fountain, is in the middle of the square. Looking to the East.

Hotel Ritz, Madrid's oldest luxury hotel.

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid's 3rd largest art museum. Housed in Palacio de Villahermosa.

Congreso de los Diputados, a legislavitve government, has both an old classical (right) and a curvy modern part (left).

Caixa Forum. A modern art museum famous for its rare architecture.

Iglesias de San Jerónimo el Real. This is were the current king, Juan Carlos, were coroned. The royal church is just next to Prado. It was originally built in the 16th
century, but has been changed many times.

Plaza de la Lealtad

Plaza Lealtad is a small square just next to Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, along Paseo del Prado. It is mostly famous for the 2nd of May monument and is also were Madrid's stock exchange and Hotel Ritz is. The plaza has palms greenery.

Bolsa de Madrid, Madrid Stock Exchange, at Plaza Lealtad. This classicist building is the largest and most international of Spain's 4 stock exchanges. It was founded in 1831.

Mto. Dos De Mayo (Monument to the 2nd of May) honors the heroes that died in the revolt towards France in 1808. The remnants of the heroes are buried beneath the obelisque.
Paseo de Recoletos:

Here Paseo de Prado changes name to Paseo de Recoletos and goes North towards Plaza de Colón, seen in the distance.

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza has art from the 1200s-1900s.

The Juan Valera monument.

[b]Museo del Prado

Prado is one of the world's most famous art museums and Madrid's most visited art museum. It is mostly famous for the royal collections and the many famous paintings by Goya, Velázquez and Rubens. Photographs are not allowed inside, so I don't have a single picture of the interior or any of the famous paintings. Really a shame and very disappointing!

The Velazquez statue in front of Museo del Prado. The earliest collections were added in the 16th -17th centuries.

The Goya statue next to Prado. Goya is somewhat of a national symbol of Spain, and many of his most famous paintings are located inside Prado.

Paseo del Prado opposite the museum.

Night photos from these places will be posted in the end.

These pictures of Madrid will soon be added to my website, World Travel Images:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Madrid.html

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #24
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

This is the best thread of Madrid I've ever seen. Can't wait to see more!
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #25
intervention
planning inaction

Love your pictures! They are taking me back to my trip last year this time. It was a wonderful city, full of life and energy and totally unpretentious.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #26
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

The interior is also very impressive, ufortunately we missed to go inside. It was a postal museum until 2007, when it became the City Hall, Ayuntamiento de Madrid.

Night, for some weeks you couldn´t visit the town hall inside.

A real pity.

And also the new park in the river.

But that´s a reason to come back.

Wonderful pictures, please keep them coming when you have time...
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #27
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

soooo... it looks a lot like buenos aires doesn't it?!

great pictures!
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #28
Aranou
However

Likes (Received): 1241

Or Buenos Aires looks like Madrid
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #29
buho

Likes (Received): 19725

Quote:

Anyone knows the name of this building next to the city hall?
That's the "Museo Naval", the Navy museum, an interesting and very unknown museum.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #30
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks a lot! More photos and text will be added soon.

The Madrid section will be added to the other city photos at:

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #31
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Thanks NIght.

I love to see the vistion of the city of somebody from outside.

You´re very good at explanations too.

Please keep them coming.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #32
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

Fantastic pictures of Madrid! And it´s always great when they come with legends and some history. Great work
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #33
hfocacci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Awesome! Exciting trip, congratulations! I love this city!
hfocacci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #34
Nightsky
Illustrator

Glad you liked it. Thanks!

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #35
Nightsky
Illustrator

Plaza de Castilla with Puerta de Europa

Plaza de Castilla is a modern square in Madrid's north outskirts. Puerta de Europa, or Torres Kio, are 2 iconic leaning twin towers, standing on each side of the plaza. They have a height of 114m and 26 floors. They were constructed from 1989 to 1996. The famous architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee designed them.

On the plaza you can also find Calatrava's brand new golden, moving, Obelisco de la Caja, erected in 2010, the José Calvo Sotelo marble monument from 1960 and Cuatro Torres, Madrid's 4 tallest skyscrapers can be see further away to the North. The road that goes right through the towers, towards Cuatro Torres, is the busy and long road Paseo de la Castellana.

The 114m tall Torres Kio and Calatrava's Caja Madrid Obelisk, erected to mark the 300th anniversary of Madrid.

Obelisco de Caja by Santiago Calatrava is sometimes changing shape, something it didn't do during our visit, unfortunately. It was erected as late as in late 2010, so it
was really brand new when this picture was taken. It is 97 m high, originally planned to be 120m, but that was rejected because of underground tunnels.

Torres Kio (Puerta de Europa), the new Obelisco de Caja and the José Calvo Sotelo Monument.

Paseo de la Castellano passing under Plaza de Castilla. You can see Torre Europa and other skyscrapers of the AZCA district to the right.

A water tower (anyone know the name?). There are several kiosks and taxi stands around the square. The area around the plaza is a bit dull.

José Calvo Sotelo was a president that was murdered in 1936.

There are snow on the mountains d, but about 20 degree and sunny in Madrid.

Hotel Castilla Plaza (in the middle) has an exterior that resembles Torres Kio. To the left: Cuatro Torres, the 4 tallest skyscrapers of Madrid.

The lobby of one of the Kio Torres. We asked the lady in the reception if it was possible to get up and see some views, but it wasn't possible.

Kio Towers could be dubbed "The Leaning Towers of Madrid".

Chamartín is a train station close to Plaza de Castilla and Cuatro Torres. The metro of Chamartín is very futuristic.

Next: Cuatro Torres

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #36
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

I've been to most of these places and still get speechless at Madrid's beauty.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #37
buho

Likes (Received): 19725

Quote:
[b]

A water tower (anyone know the name?).
Depósito elevado de Plaza Castilla - Plaza Castilla water tower. There is a park and exposition centre now in the old water tanks.

http://www.madrimasd.org/cienciaysoc...lla.asp?pest=4
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #38
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244519

Once again very nice photos from Madrid
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #39
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
[b]
There are snow on the mountains d, but about 20 degree and sunny in Madrid.

Chamartín is a train station close to Plaza de Castilla and Cuatro Torres. The metro of Chamartín is very futuristic.

Next: Cuatro Torres
I love the picture with the skyscrapers at the bottom.

With the Operación Chamartín therell be around 10more skyscrapers of 250-300 metres in some years.

The picture of the tube is very good too.

Thanks Night, very good job and information about the city.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #40
Nightsky
Illustrator

@buho: Thanks for this info, I can now use it on my website.

@christos: Thanks!

@javicuenca: Thanks for your comments. Glad to hear that, cause I was afraid that the financial crisis would prevent more skyscrapers to be built in Spain for a while.

Tags
spain in the world