daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #41
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Talking about skyscrapers:

Cuatro Torres Business Area

Cuatro Torres, 4 Towers, is a new business area that consist of the the 4 tallest, newest and most striking skyscrapers in Spain. The skyscrapers were completed in 2008. The tallest one, Torre Caja Madrid, is 250m tall and the tallest building in Spain. Eurostars Madrid Tower is the tallest hotel in Europe. The district is located in the North end of the city, just next to Paseo de la Castellana, a road that passes by all of Madrid's modern skyscrapers.

Cuatro Torres from the left: Torre Caja Madrid, Eurostars Madrid Tower, Torre Cristal and Torre Espacio. This photo is taken from just outside Chamartín Station.

Torre Caja Madrid, originally Torre Repsol, is the tallest building in Spain since 2008.

Torre Caja Madrid is 250m tall and have 45 floors filled with offices. It was designed by Norman Foster. It is the headquarters of Caja Madrid, the largest bank in Madrid.

The top of Torre Caja Madrid, Spain's tallest building. With a height of 250m it is just 89 cm taller then Torre de Cristal.

The side of Torre Caja Madrid.

Details of Torre Caja Madrid's aluminium facade.

Paseo de la Castellana towards Puerta de Europa and Caja Madrid Obelisc at Plaza de Castilla, and Torre Picasso in AZCA district further beyond, seen from Cuatro Torres.

Hotel Eurostars Madrid Tower, also called Torre Sacyr Vallehermoso, is the tallest hotel in Europe. It is 236m tall, has 52 floors and is the 3rd tallest building in Spain.
Drawn by Rubio and Alvarez Sala.

Some of the businessmen working in the towers drive bikes like these.

Torre de Cristal. With 249.5 m it is the 2nd tallest building in Spain, and it is less then a meter shorter then Torre Caja Madrid.

Torre de Cristal has 45 floor and was designed by César Pelli, one of the world's leading architects. It was completed in 2008.

View towards Sierra de Guadarra.

Some of the articial greenery, looking towards the ugly La Paz Hospital. The tower is under renovation, perhaps recladding.

Torre Espacio. With 57 floors it is the tallest building in Spain by number of floors, but the lowest of the 4 towers (236m). It is also the most curvy skyscraper in Madrid.
Architect: Henri N. Cobb. Among the offices are the British embassy. It was the first of the 4 towers to be completed, in 2007.

Torre Espacio and Torre de Cristal.

In November 2006, the mayor of Madrid, attended a ceremony with fireworks to celebrate that it had surpassed the height of Benidorm's Gran Hotel Bali, so Madrid
once again has the tallest buildings in Spain.

The north end of Cuatro Torres with Torres Kio in the background.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #42
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Nightsky, I´ve seen many pictures of the 4 towers, but I can only say this when I see yours:

Thanks so much man.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #43
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Sooooo good your pictures and explanations.

Thanks again!!!!!!!
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #44
intervention
planning inaction

Great photos! I enjoyed the area - just wished there was better metro access up there!
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #45
JAVICUENCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Great photos! I enjoyed the area - just wished there was better metro access up there!
There´s a station called Begoña there, maybe you didn´t know it Intervention.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #46
buho

Likes (Received): 19773

What I'm expecting is the Toledo thread!
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #47
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks again for all comments! I think we took the metro to Plaza de Castilla and then the bus to Cuatro Torres.

@buho: It will come, but it will take time - a lot of pictures!

Old April 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #48
Nightsky
Illustrator

La Latina

La Latina is a small scale, picturesque district, that begins on the south gate to Plaza Mayor. It is the oldest and most cozy part of Madrid. It could be compared to Montmartre in Paris, with the hilly narrow streets, small plazas, open air cafés, pubs, bars and restaurants and charming old buildings. Some beautiful chuches are in the area. It is very crowded and has a lot of entertainment. The Toledo Gate is also here.

Botín, the world's oldest restaurant. Famous guests are Hemingway, the Spanish king and some presidents.

Plaza de Puerta Cerrada, a small plaza just south of Plaza Mayor. We sat for a while on this open air café.

Plaza de Puerta Cerrada. A bit strange with this giant cross in the middle of the square.

A nice street with pubs just south of Plaza Mayor. Looks a bit English.

The artistic, Montmartre like feeling of La Latina.

San Miguel, one of the many churches in La Latina.

Iglesia San Pedro Capilla del Obispo. A beautiful church at Plaza de Puerta de Moros.

San Francisco el Grande. A large church a few blocks south of the palace, here seen from Plaza de Puerta de Moros.

Teatro La Latina.

Calle de Toledo, the main street of La Latina.

Nice building in typical Spanish style at Calle de Toledo.

Fernando VII monument. Note the view from the hill to the left.

I don't believe the pharmacy sign that says "24,5" degrees, cause at this moment it felt more like at most 15 degrees.

Puerta de Toledo, the gate of Toledo. Completed in 1827 and located at a trafficated circle in La Latina. One of 4 "arch of triumphs" in Madrid.
Lavapiés

Below and above: Plaza Lavapiés, the heart of Lavapies.

I took the metro to Lavapiés, a small central district just a few blocks south of my hostel near Plaza del Santa Ana, planning to walk the beautiful hilly street up at sunset.
But I decided to take the metro instead since there were some gangs and obscure types in the surroundings. I didn't want to take a chance my last day.
Lavapiés is a small multi cultural area and is surely nice if you know it, but it just didn't feel safe compared to the other areas in Madrid I visited, at least not on this evening.

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #49
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Nice neighborhood! Never heard of it before...
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #50
madridhere

Latina is a lovely district.

Now it´s very fashionable for the weekends to have lunch or a beer there.

Lavapiés is also interesting but a bit less safe.

Calle Argumosa in Lavapiés has a lof of terraces to have lunch and is near Reina Sofía museum.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Old April 18th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #51
Nightsky
Illustrator

Plaza Santa Ana and the quarters around

Plaza de Santa Ana is one of the nicest squares in Madrid with the landmark Hotel Reina Victoria, the playground and open air restaurants. After dark some of the buildings exteriors shines in neon. The smaller Plaza del Angel lies just next to it. Cañizares is the small street were my hostel was, close to these 2 squares. Calle las Huertas is a nice, narrow parallel street to Calle de Atocha, but it begins at Plaza de Santa Ana, so it fits in this section. It is crowded with people to 4 o'clock summertime, it was a bit less crowded during our visit in February.

This area has the largest number of tapas bars in Madrid. We talked a lot about what tapas really is and came to the conclusion that it can be everything that is eatable, but it must be little and served to a drink.
Plaza del Angel:

Hotel ME Madrid Reina Victoria, is a luxury hotel and the beautiful landmark of Plaza del Angel and Plaza Santa Ana.
Plaza de Santa Ana:

Plaza de Santa Ana is known for being the heart of literary Madrid, hence the large number of cafés and restaurant. It is close to Puerta del Sol.

Reina Victoria was built in 1920 and renovated in 2006. It has 192 rooms.

There is a nightclub on the rooftop of the gorgeous Reina Victoria building.

Motorcycles at Plaza de Santa Ana.

Sangria, a classic Spanish drink!

Served at O Cacho do josé. Looks a bit empty, but that because people sat in the sun and this part was shady.

Hotel Reina Victoria looks fabulous nighttime.

Reina Victoria has a very nice light scheme after dark.

Teatro Español (Spanish Theater). It was built in 1804 after the previous building burned down. In 1975 it was damaged by another large fire, and was repaired.

A nice restaurant at Plaza de Santa Ana. In Madrid, the Spanish culture is thrieving with its classical interior.

Hotel Alicia, a building with changing neon lights, from green to yellow to violet.

Calle de Nuñez de Arce. In Spain Garbage truck are in operation late evenings, several days a week.

Old April 18th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #52
Nightsky
Illustrator

Calle las Huertas

Las Huertas is a very nice, narrow street, parallel to Calle de Atocha. It begins at the beautiful Plaza del Angel and ends at Plaza Plateria Martinez in front of the Prado Museum.

Huertas is one of Madrid's nicest streets with its old fashioned lights and trees.

Il Piccolino della Farfalla. A small restaurant at Huertas, the name means something with the butterfly. A cozy place were we ordered steak with potatoes.
Cañizares and Cat's Hostel

Cañizares a small side street to Calle de Atocha, close to Plaza Santa Ana. Cat's Hostel, a place were I stayed for the last half of the trip, is the building behind the green scaffolds, next to a small church.

I took this picture while checking in at Cat's Hostel at . I couldn't afford to stay longer at the 4 star Mercure, since my girlfriend had to go home. But it was ok for being a hostel, the building is a protected historical landmark, since it is located in a former moorish palace.

The moorish architecture is visible everywhere, truly unique. I meat people mostly form Brazil and Mexico, but also France and Peru. Most of the staff were friendly.
Overall a nice stay!

The small church at Cañizares, next to the hotel.

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #53
zazo,
Zeit

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

I took this picture while checking in at Cat's Hostel at . I couldn't afford to stay longer at the 4 star Mercure, since my girlfriend had to go home. But it was ok for being a hostel, the building is a protected historical landmark, since it is located in a former moorish palace.
It's not a 'moorish' palace, there's no moorish architecture in all over the region, that building is a XIX or XX century building, when romanticism was a widespread fashion, all the buildings you see like that in Madrid: end of XIX or XX centuries (except 50 meters of wall)
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #54
Persi
Iraqi User

Likes (Received): 460

Fantastic pictures of Madrid!
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #55
madridhere

Great pictures again, Night. Did you go up to the hotel at plaza de Santa Ana? There are great views there...

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #56
JAVICUENCA

I LOVE IT!
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #57
Alvr23

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazo, View Post
It's not a 'moorish' palace, there's no moorish architecture in all over the region, that building is a XIX or XX century building, when romanticism was a widespread fashion, all the buildings you see like that in Madrid: end of XIX or XX centuries (except 50 meters of wall)
You're right, this is not moorish architecture, but there is moorish arquitecture over the region, even in the city of Madrid, as in almost all Spain. But for moorish architecture, the best is Andalucía.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #58
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
You're right, this is not moorish architecture, but there is moorish arquitecture over the region, even in the city of Madrid, as in almost all Spain. But for moorish architecture, the best is Andalucía.
As Zazo said the only remains of moorish/arabic architecture in Madrid is just some meters of the muslim walls
willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #59
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2962

true, but from a stylistic point of view mudejar is (partially) Moorish (hispano-muslim, whatever way you call it). There's some mudejar in Madrid.
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #60
Nightsky
Illustrator

The architecture looked moorish at least. :; Didn't know that no "real" moorish buildings were left in Madrid.

@madridhere: I have heard there is a rooftop terrace, but it didn't seem accesible to public. I would have loved to visit though! From what I thought you have to enter the hotel first.
All people I asked in Madrid said there are no observation deck in Madrid or other place to see views escept for Faro de Moncloa that were closed.

More will come...

Tags
spain in the world