daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #61
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Absolutely fantabulous shots there! I desperately want to go back to Madrid again haha.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #62
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

AZCA Business Area
- Bernabéu Stadium, Hospital de Maudes and Paseo de Castellana

AZCA, sometimes called "Madrid's Manhattan", is a business district situated a couple of blocks North of the city center, along Paseo de Castellana, the road that continues through the Kio Towers and then passes the 4 towers of Cuatro Torres, just next to the huge Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Since it was built in the 70s, the designs of the towers are a bit more traditional and boxy, and also lower, then Cuatro Torres.
But still it is the area with the largest number of skyscrapers concentrated and it looks beautiful in a special way. The area is dominated by the famous Torre Picasso, Madrid's tallest building before Cuatro Torres were built. The area was pretty empty during my visit, except for a few skateboarding youngsters, since I was there on a Sunday. The area has much greenery as a contrast to the concrete towers, especially on Plaza Picasso, the cubistic square that is the heart of the district. In the last part of this page you can read about Hospital de Maudes, a beautiful hidden architectural gem.
AZCA is the short form for the Spanish words meaning "Mixed Association for Compensation of the A Block of the Commercial Area of the Avenue of Paseo de la Castellana". The original conception dates back from 1946, but nothing happend for decades. In the 1970s, the construction finally begun.

2 large disasters have been taking place in the area: In February 2005 the 106m tall Windsor Tower was destroyed by a fire, but a replacing tower is under construction (you can read more about it further below). In 2002 a car bomb damaged Torre Europa and 16 persons.

AZCA district skyline.

Torre Picasso is the tallest, most beautiful and most famous skyscraper in the AZCA district. With a height of 157m it is currently the 5th tallest Madrid building, but it was the tallest when it was completed in 1989 and held the title as Spain's tallest building until it was overshadowed by Gran Hotel Bali in Benidorm in 2002, and in 2008 by the 4 skyscrapers forming Cuatro Towers further North.

Torre Picasso was designed by Minoru Yamasaki, who also designed the now destroyed WTC in New York. From beneath you can clearly see it resembles WTC.

Nueva Edifico Windsor, New Windsor Tower. This circular green glass skyscraper will replace the destroyed Windsor Tower, that was a more boxy tower with a golden glass exterior. It will be just 94 m tall, 10m lower then the original, and have 21 floors.
In February 2005 the 106m tall the old Windsor Tower from 1979 was destroyed by a fire, one of the worst fires in Madrid. Because of the damage it had to
be torn down. Fortunately noone died, since the building was closed, because of renovation works. It was initially thought that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault, but evidence from video tapes show that it could have been an arson.

A large brande of the department store El Corte Inglés is just next to the new Windsor Tower that is under construction (2011).

Torre Europa has 30 stories and is 121m tall. The round glass structure with external concrete columns was built between 1975 and 1985. On May 1, 2002 a car bomb with explosives was set off in front of the Torre Europa, injuring 16 people and damaging the exterior.

Torre Europa and Edificio Masters, seen from the North end of the district.

El Corte Inglés and the rust-colored Torre de Bilbao, or BBVA building (right). BBVA stands for Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria. It was built in 1980 and designed by the Spanish architect Francisco Javier Saenz de Oiza.

Manhattan looking view with Torre Picasso in the back.

Nuevos Ministerios. A large ministerial complex.

Torre Mahou. A postmodern 29-storey highrise from 1989. It stands 105m tall and has a curvy blue glass exterior.

Plaza de Picasso.

Plaza Picasso, the modern cubistic square named after Picasso, the father of cubism, is the heart of the AZCA district.

AZCA:s skyline from Plaza de Picasso.

Edificio Longview, a 13-storey postmodern office building just across Paseo de la Castellana from AZCA.

The large metro hub Nuevos Ministerios is where I finally get off, after passing it several times to change trains. Torre de Bilbao pops up beneath.

Paseo de la Castellana towards Torres Kio and Cuatro Torres. Torre Europa to the left.

Paseo de la Castellana towards Torres Kio and Cuatro Torres.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #63
Nightsky
Illustrator

Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, or Bernabéu Stadium. It was inaugurated in 1947 and is the home of one of the world's most famous football teams, Real Madrid.
It has a capacity of 80 354 visitors, all seated. There are plans to reconstruct the stadium, a competition will be held with architects like IM Pei and Calatrava.

Real Madrid's logo on Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. The latest large events taking place on Bernabéu are UEFA Champions League Final in 2010 and the World Cup in 1982.

Plaza de Lima with Bernabéu Stadium and Torre de Lima.
Hospital de Maudes and the blocks just North of AZCA:

Palacio de Congresos de Madrid, the Congress Hall of Madrid, decorated by Miró.. On the gable is Sala de Exposiciones de Joan Miro.

A futuristic pavilion. Anyone knows what it is?

Avenida del General Perón is on the North side of AZCA.

The cherry trees blossoms already in February, a contrast to the grey concrete buildings.

Private balconies with palms, an unusual sight for a Swede.

Hospital de Maudes. A beautiful hidden gem on the south side of Calle de Raimundo Fernendes Villaverde, 3 blocks west of AZCA.

Hospital de Maudes from 1916 is rarely mentioned in the guide books, may be because it is a bit far from downtown. It is currently housing the ministry for public works, planning and infrastructre.

The official name is El Hospital de Jornaleros de San Francisco de Paula. The architect was Antionio Palacios.

Calle de Raimundo Fernendes Villaverde towards New Tower Windsor and Edifico Longview. To the right is Hospital de Maudes.

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM   #64
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244319

Amazing, very nice new photos Nightsky
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM   #65
KOTIKKEAN

Likes (Received): 1178

Nightsky, great pics!!!!
I love Madrid!!! It's so beautiful city!!! Amazing Madrid!!!
KOTIKKEAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:55 PM   #66
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Great great pictures again Night.

Maybe you´ll know that the Hospital de jornaleros has the same architect as the town hall at Cibeles circus.

This man has lots of interesting buildings in Madrid at Gran Via and Alcalá, for example.

That hospital was financed by a lady for the poor people, so it was a work of charity.

There´s one point to see the whole city at the terrace of Círculo de Bellas Artes, it´s a pity nobody told you.It costs only 2 euros.

The hotel at Santa Ana is open during the weekends from 5 o´clock.

Azca is quite empty on sunday, you´re right. During the week is the opossite, full or people working there.

Again thanks for your pictures, Night.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)

Last edited by madridhere; April 22nd, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM   #67
Filandon

Likes (Received): 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
@madridhere: I have heard there is a rooftop terrace, but it didn't seem accesible to public. I would have loved to visit though! From what I thought you have to enter the hotel first.
All people I asked in Madrid said there are no observation deck in Madrid or other place to see views escept for Faro de Moncloa that were closed.

More will come...
For me the best views from Madrid are from the CBA (Círculo de Bellas Artes) in Alcala St. next to Cibeles. You can go up there for 2€ and enjoy this wonderful view (picture taken from me this march) sorry I didn´t manage it to turn it properly...

Besides the CBA and Melia of Santa Ana you also have the new city hall, which views are wonderful as well, the cafeteria in Corte Inglés of Callao, the terrace of Café de las Letras, the penthouse of Hotel Oscar, or the one in hotel América, the bar which is upside of a hotel next to the congress. All these are great, but I´m sure ther are many more...

By the way, I liked very much your pictures, thanks for sharing

Last edited by Filandon; April 21st, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Filandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM   #68
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15988

Fantastic thread! I love your photos, excellent quality and the places you visited are amazing, one of the best Madrid threads
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM   #69
emiburni
http://www.skyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 8

Amazing!!! I've been at Barajas airport and I could see a bit of Madrid's Skyland from there
emiburni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:32 AM   #70
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

thanks for sharing, love the pics and little pieces of history u give us.
Fabrega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #71
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks for the comments and the info about the observation points and others!
The staff at the hotel didn't know about them, I could have made nice shots from there. Everyone told me there is no observation deck open to public and that Faro de Moncloa is closed for renovation. But I managed to find the cafeteria in El Corte Ingels (pictures earlier in the thread).

Last edited by Nightsky; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old April 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #72
Nightsky
Illustrator

Parque del Retiro and Jardín Botánico

Park Retiro, or Parque del Buen Retiro, is the large park in the east end of the city center and its green lung. It first it was a royal park, and then only open for the noble until the 19th century. Statues, sculptures, trees growing from the water, a transparant glass palace, a palace dedicated to Velázquez, theaters and a lake filled with pedal boats in front of the large Alfonso XII monument. A lot of beautiful spruces, palms, other trees and flowers can be seen, very different from the vegetation i Scandinavia that we used with. It was partly green, despite we visited in February. The Botanical Garden, Jardin Botánico, is just next to the park.

Parque del Retiro, the main gate:

Puerta de la Independencia, the northwest gate to Retiro park. It was originally meant to be placed at a palace dedicated to Fernando VII:s wife.

During our visit in February 2011, there was a temporary exhibition with not so beautiful sculptures, meant to symbolize Alhambra and its meeting of cultures. What is the point of using these strong, childish colors?

A fountain near the entrance.
Alfonso XII Monument:

Alfonso XII Monument, or Glorietta. A beautiful monument by the lake, Estanque, where people were driving around in blue pedal boats this beautiful but windy Saturday in February.

The monument was completed in 1922 as a tribute to King Alfronso XII. People are relaxing at the colonnade.

Mariano Benlliure designed the statue of the king on his horse.

Fuente de la Alcachofa, the "Artichoke Fountain", was drawn by Ventura Rodriguez. Its granite was taken from Sierra de Guadarrama and the stone from Colmenar.

This monument resembles Egypt with its sfinxes.
Palacio del Cristal:

Palacio de Cristal, modelled after London's Crystal Palace that doesn't exist anymore. Drawn in a shape of a Greek cross by Ricardo Velázquez Bosco.

It is possible to look right through the palace.

At the time for our visit, there was a sculpture made of laundry baskets, resembling crystal. Crazy but nice!

At the time for our visit, there was a sculpture made of laundry baskets, resembling crystal. Crazy but nice!

A rainbow in the flushing fountain.

These trees are standing in the water! This is the second lake.

Palacio de Velázquez:

Palacio de Velázquez. Retiro's exhibiton hall, created by Ricardo Velázquez Bosco.

The Lucifer sculptures at the entrance of Palacio de Velázquez.

The south part of the park:

El Angel Caido. Probably the world's only monument dedicated to Lucifer.

It was designed by Ricardo Bellver and was unveiled in 1878.

An unusual playground.

The cherry trees blossom. In February Madrid is like Swedish summer!

Paseo del Duque, leading to the southwest gate.

Around Retiro:

Calle de Alfonso XII.

Calle Claudio Moyano is a hilly promenade that leads down to Plaza del Emperador Carlos V. The right side is filled with small book shops.

Part of Ministerio de Agricultura.

The book shops at Calle Claudio Moyano.

The symbol of Madrid, El Orso y Madrileno, can be seen on every drain. The symbol is also a sculpture on Puerta del Sol.

Old April 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #73
Nightsky
Illustrator

Real Jardín Botánico:

Jardín Botánico, Madrid's Royal Botanical Gardens, are situated just next to Parque del Retiro and Prado Museum. We had to stress through it to beacuse we had a daytrip to Segovia on our schedule the same day, something we regret since we missed the Segovia trip, because we got the wrong information about the train - both at the hotel and at the station! So it would have been much better to relax in the botanical gardens all the day.
It was inaugurated in 1781. The 3 terraces are according to Juan de Villanueva's drawings. There are many statues of royalties, and the Swedish botanist Carl von Linné.

The gate to Real Jardín Botánico. You have to pay a small entrance fee.

Museo del Prado seen from the entrance to the gardens.

Carlos III statue.

The pavilion.

Some of the palms.

The Royal Botanical Garden is a very nice place to relax.

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #74
Kaetzar
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Likes (Received): 2969

What a very beatuful pics!! I'm enjoying a lot. Thanks Nightsky. But somes corrections, if you dont mind:

Quote:
This pic is from Botanical Garden, not Retiro Park.

Quote:
An unusual playground.

This is the Noria de la Real Fábrica de Porcelana (Wheel of the Royal Porcelain Factory). The factory was destroyed by english army in napoleonics wars.

I hope you could visit the greenhouses into botanical garden. The ancient and the modern greenhouses are very interesting.
Kaetzar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #75
buho

Likes (Received): 19714

Quote:

The symbol of Madrid, El Orso y Madrileno, can be seen on every drain. The symbol is also a sculpture on Puerta del Sol.
"El oso y el madroño", the bear and the strawberry tree, "Arbutus unedo".

The sculpture right there is Linneo, Carl Nilsson Linæus, sweedish like you
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #76
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks for the corrections, I will make changes to my website:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Madrid.html

Carl Nilsson Linnæus is more famous as Carl von Linné, at least here in Sweden.

Old April 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #77
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Wonderful thread.

It seems you went to Retiro during the week because there are very few people there...it also has its charm like that.

These weekends is absolutely full of people...

Thanks again Night.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #78
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2531

You forgot a lot of places like Cerralbo Museum, the new Serrano st. (one of the most important luxury centres in the world), the new Manzanares river or the Campo del Moro gardens, but I know it's impossible to visit all the sights of a city like Madrid (and I don't say that because it's my city ).
If you come back you will have a lot of things to visit, be sure (I could help you).

The pics are really good, you captured the light of Madrid and I admit you captured more places that other tourists.

Quote:
All people I asked in Madrid said there are no observation deck in Madrid or other place to see views escept for Faro de Moncloa that were closed.
OMG, people is silly.
Some important viewpoints are Palacio de Telecomunicaciones in Cibeles or Círculo de Bellas Artes in Alcala St., there are also a lot of roofs in hotels where you can find a cool (and expensive) bar.
If somebody want to know more places I can send you a list of viewpoints.

Last edited by Pavlemadrid; April 25th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #79
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

What an interesting mix of architectural styles and you have captured them beautifully
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #80
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks!

I think it was a Tuesday I was in Parque Retiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlemadrid View Post
You forgot a lot of places like Cerralbo Museum, the new Serrano st. (one of the most important luxury centres in the world), the new Manzanares river or the Campo del Moro gardens, but I know it's impossible to visit all the sights of a city like Madrid (and I don't say that because it's my city ).
If you come back you will have a lot of things to visit, be sure (I could help you).

The pics are really good, you captured the light of Madrid and I admit you captured more places that other tourists.

OMG, people is silly.
Some important viewpoints are Palacio de Telecomunicaciones in Cibeles or Círculo de Bellas Artes in Alcala St., there are also a lot of roofs in hotels where you can find a cool (and expensive) bar.
If somebody want to know more places I can send you a list of viewpoints.
I stayed for only one week and there were so many things to see. On my travels I think it is important to see some non tourist areas as well, rather then see all the museums I (also think it is nice to be outside and enjoy the weather when coming from the cold and grey Sweden). I passed by Cerralbo Museum many times, it was close to our hotel at Plaza de Espana, but I didn't know it was so beautiful inside so we never got inside.

Yes, like you said I think I saw more then most other tourists. I like to see many different areas to get an overall feeling for the city. Most backpackers I met only spent a few days in Madrid, to go further to London or Barcelona, that is really way too little time to spend. And they only spend time in tourist areas such as Plaza Mayor and Latina.

Tags
spain in the world