daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #101
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

I'm glad to hear that, eu!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #102
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu View Post
Nightsky, I'm going to Madrid in 1 mounth for the very 1st time, and I must admit that your thread helps me a lot to have an idea about the must-see spots of the city. The more I see your pics, the more I want to be there! Thanks to share!
If you like the XVIII and the XIX centuries architecture (you're from Paris ) you have to visit "Barrio de Salamanca" (Serrano St, Jorge Juan St, Ortega y Gasset St, etc.), it's one of the most important luxury areas in the world.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #103
buho

Likes (Received): 19773

I think a person from Paris will want to see different things, they have a lot of that!
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #104
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Both of you are right
Pavlemadrid, I LOVE the XIX century architecture, and i provided to go to the Barrio de Salamanca, to compare with parisian buildings.
But as buho said, I also want to see things we don't have in Paris, especially the 20's architecture (in particular Antonio Palacios' buildings) which is almost nonexistent here , the trasformation of the M-30, and all the changes made by Gallardon. I even want to see the Siza's awful streetlights
I can't wait!
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #105
Nightsky
Illustrator

North part of Parque del Oeste:

The park is very big and the north part is were the west part of the city ends. It is very beautiful. It is close to Arco de la Victoria, Faro de Moncloa and Museo de América, 3 landmarks that is just next to the busy highway like Avenida Arco de la Victoria. The Ministry of Air Defense is also near.

It is hard to believe this is in February with the blossoming cherry trees and all the greenery.

Yet another equestrian statue, here in Parque del Oeste.

Paseo de Ruperto Chapi.

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #106
Nightsky
Illustrator

Moncloa
-around Arco de La Victoria, Faro de Moncloa, North Parque del Oeste and Museo de América

Moncloa-Aravaca is the 9th district of Madrid and is a student area. It is situated in the northwest end of Madrid, but only 12 blocks from Plaza de España. The northern end of the beautiful Parque del Oeste is bordering the district. Atround Plaza de Moncloa you can find Arco de la Victoria, Faro de Moncloa and Museo de América, as well as The Spanish Airforce Headquarters.

Arco de la Victoria. Built by Franco as late as in 1956. Sometimes it is called Moncloa Gate, a name preferred among the citizens that don't want to be reminded of Franco.

The Victory Arch is 39m tall. It is situated in the middle of the Avenida Arco de la Victoira one of the first things you see when you approach the city from the North. Franco used to drive this way on his way from the residence. It was built to honour Franco's nationalist army.

Cuartel General del Ejercito del Aire (the headquarters of the Spanish Air Force).

Museo de América. An underrated museum that I, like many others, missed. Probably because of its location. And there are too many great museums in Madrid. The museum is about latin american history.

Calle de la Princesa at Moncloa Gate. At the end you can see Plaza de España.

The Moncloa metro station with mountains in the back.

Moncloa-Aravaca District Hall is next to the large metro station at Plaza del la Moncloa.

Arco de la Victoria and Faro de Moncloa. The place is called Plaza de Moncloa.

Museo de América and Faro de Moncloa from 1992, the 100m tall futuristic observation tower that was closed for renovation. Unfortunately also the only observation tower, so it was really a shame that we couldn't get up and see the city from above. And a city of Madrid's size should really have observation decks!

The west end of the city. The trafficated Avenida Arco de la Victoria with the beautiful mountains of Sierra de Guadarrama as the backdrop.

Old May 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #107
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Yes, this park is big and beautiful. It´s near now the new park along the river, both in the west part of the city. This one is in the northwest and the other one in the southwest.

You were a bit unlucky with the places to see the city from above. There are and they´re preparing more and worst of all you´re not well advised about them by the people you asked. I think I told you come before coming here?
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #108
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu View Post
Both of you are right
Pavlemadrid, I LOVE the XIX century architecture, and i provided to go to the Barrio de Salamanca, to compare with parisian buildings.
But as buho said, I also want to see things we don't have in Paris, especially the 20's architecture (in particular Antonio Palacios' buildings) which is almost nonexistent here , the trasformation of the M-30, and all the changes made by Gallardon. I even want to see the Siza's awful streetlights
I can't wait!
Ok, I suppose you will also love to see the Castilian architecture, the best typical architecture is between Plaza de la Villa, Plaza de la Paja, Cava Baja, etc. In the oldest Madrid.
If you want any recommendation I maybe can help you!
Greetings
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #109
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Thanx Pavle.
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #110
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244677

Amazing, very nice new shots from Madrid
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #111
Nightsky
Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Yes, this park is big and beautiful. It´s near now the new park along the river, both in the west part of the city. This one is in the northwest and the other one in the southwest.

You were a bit unlucky with the places to see the city from above. There are and they´re preparing more and worst of all you´re not well advised about them by the people you asked. I think I told you come before coming here?
Unfortunatley I didn't see the new park, but I liked Parque del Oeste a lot, even more then Retiro since it's less touristy.

I know some observation points know, it's just that I copied the text from my website, perhaps I should add that the people at the hotel Mercure were wrong. They didn't know anything, all advise we got from then was wrong. Also Madrid citizens I've talked to on the net told me Faro de Moncloa is the only place to get views, and that its closed. So I guess the observation points are kind of "secrets"

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #112
Nightsky
Illustrator

Goya district:

Goya, named after the famous painter, is a district just Northeast of Parque Retiro between downtown and the outskirts. Plaza Dalí and Calle de Goya are important places here.

The intersection Calle de Alcalá/Calle de Goya.

The intersection has yet another branch of El Corte Inglés can be found here.

The Goya statue at the intersection Calle de Alcalá/Calle de Goya.

Calle de Goya.

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #113
Nightsky
Illustrator

Plaza Salvador Dalí:
Plaza Dalí is the modern square in the heart of Goya district, that was designed by Salvador Dalí himself in 1984.It features sculptures and art by Dalí and was his last work. It is popular among young skateboard riders.

This mini amusement park next to Plaza Dalí features humoristic copies of famous landmarks.

Art on the street that reminds of car parts. Special...

Avenida Felipe II leads to Plaza Salvador Dalí with its dolmen and sculpture and Palacio de los Deportes, a sports and music arena.

The "G" stands for Gala, Dalí´s beloved wife.

Dalí designed a granit dolmen (a portal tomb) and a statue of a human creature on a cubic pedestal.

Palacio de los Deportes, an arena that holds sport events (mainly basketball and handball) and concerts. It was built between 2002 and 2005 after the previous arena was destroyed by a fire in 2001. The left part of the building has a modern glass tower, that is a bit like a more conservative and less spectacular version of Lloyds Building in London.

In 2002 there were plans to remove Dalí's art. Enthusiasts managed to save only parts of it, so not all of the original art remains today. The dolmen was shortened.

Calle de Alcalá towards the tall Torre de Valencia.

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #114
ExcellentALWAYS
Ambitious Girl

This place is amazing.
Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh
ExcellentALWAYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #115
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

So you finally visited Salamanca district, at least a part of it.

THanks again for your excellent pictures, Night.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #116
Nightsky
Illustrator

I wasn't sure if it was part of Salamanca or not, but I'm glad you say it is cause I wanted to visit!

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #117
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

The beautiful part of Salamanca is near Recoletos and Colón, around Serrano St.-Jorge Juan St. This area is also Salamanca but the architecture is incomparable and this is not a luxury neighborhood.
Did you visit Barrio de los Jerónimos?
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #118
Nightsky
Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlemadrid View Post
The beautiful part of Salamanca is near Recoletos and Colón, around Serrano St.-Jorge Juan St. This area is also Salamanca but the architecture is incomparable and this is not a luxury neighborhood.
Did you visit Barrio de los Jerónimos?
I think so, but only parts of it. You can recognize the buildings, from it earlier in this thread, near Retiro Park and Prado.

Btw, according to my map (it's the official tourist map) the district on the pics above near Plaza Dali is called Goya. Salamanca is not even on the map. Why is that?

Last edited by Nightsky; May 27th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #119
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

Goya is the name of the neighbourhood. Salamanca is the name of the district (Goya neighbourhood is inside Salamanca district along with other neighbourhoods). Goya,Castellana and Recoletos are the most beautiful neighbouhood of Salamanca district, being Recoletos probably the most beautiful one

here's a explaining link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamanca_%28Madrid%29
willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #120
Szeber

Likes (Received): 0

Congratulations for this fantastic thread! I am from Madrid but I have liked seeing my own home town through the eyes of a foreigner cause your pictures are great, but in the pictures of the Puerta de Europa you say that José Calvo Sotelo was president of Spain. That's not true, he was a very important politician (he had been Minister of Economy) whose murder began the Spanish Civil War, maybe you have been mistaken because his nephew Leopoldo Calvo Sotelo was effectively President of the Government of Spain.

I'll give you some interesting pieces of information related to your pictures not very known even by Madrilenian people:
-the statue of the Fallen Angel at Retiro Park is 666 meters above sea level
-the statues placed at the Plaza de Oriente, the Retiro Park and the Royal Palace's façade depict only Spanish Monarchs with only two exceptions: Atahualpa, the last Inca Emperor, and Moctezuma, the last Aztec Emperor
-the statue of Felipe IV is the first equestrian statue ever made with the two front legs up, and was built with the help of Galileo Galilei
-the Edificio Telefonica was the first building of Europe taller than 80 m, so it's often considered the first skyscraper of Europe.
-the Torre de Madrid was the tallest building in Europe and the highest concrete building in the world at the time of its completion.

Thank you again for this thread!

Last edited by Szeber; May 29th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Szeber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world