daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #201
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Update on the Tvärbanan Construction

Here is a fantastic update from SSC User Michau on the construction of the Tvärbanan around Sundbyberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michau View Post
Here are some pictures taken by me during the last 3 weeks showing the construction works on Tvärbanan in Sundbyberg.

Ekensbergsvägen - view from Solna Business Park (2011.07.05):

Ekensbergsvägen - construction of the "Tvärbanan" bridge over Mälarbanan railway (2011.07.05):

This is how the bridge is going to look like:

Landsvägen in central Sundbyberg next to the railway station (2011.06.30-2011.07.10):

Landsvägen at the club Grand Garbo - view towards Sundbyberg centrum (2011.06.21):

Landsvägen at Grand Garbo (2011.06.20):

Landsvägen at Grand Garbo - new lamps mounted (2011.07.10):

Landsvägen - approaching Bällstaån (2011.06.20):

"Tvärbanan" bridge on Bällstaån (2011.06.20):

The same bridge (2011.06.30):

Karlsbodavägen in Ulvsunda on the other side of the bridge (2011.06.23):

Karlsbodavägen - looking back towards the bridge:

Karlsbodavägen - looking in the other direction:

Karlsbodavägen - the future stop called "Karlsbodavägen":

And that would be all for now.

On the map below I've marked in red the photographed area:

The original map with description of the current works can be found in SL's Nyhetsbrev nr 3/2011 on this page: http://www2.sl.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=16948
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #202
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Great addition!
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #203
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Sorry to reply to an old discussion, I've actually only just read the new timetables for the bus to Norrtälje.

For those who don't know, Norrtälje is located around 70km north of Stockholm. These new buses will see a service frequency of every 6-7 minutes during peak hours of 6:00 - 8:15 and 15:00 - 18:00. This is really good given the distance between Stockholm and Norrtälje. The journey takes an hour and the bus operates at a frequency of every 15 minutes off-peak and on Saturdays/Sundays.

Can't complain about that.
I can actually. With that type of frequency on that line there is one fundamental thing should be cahnged: bus -> rail. Roslagsbanan should get a major re-extension and get new faster trains to run express services all the way to Norrtälje. Sure, Roslagsbanan would need more tracks on part of the existing lines but... worth it.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #204
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I can actually. With that type of frequency on that line there is one fundamental thing should be cahnged: bus -> rail. Roslagsbanan should get a major re-extension and get new faster trains to run express services all the way to Norrtälje. Sure, Roslagsbanan would need more tracks on part of the existing lines but... worth it.
Well yes, rail would be more ideal, however, at least for the interim I would say the bus is sufficient. Many cities around the world of Stockholm's size would be lucky to see such frequencies on a service. An example: my bus in Auckland only gets half hourly frequencies and it serves one of the biggest shopping centres in New Zealand as well as an important eastern suburb with a large population. It is the only bus route that connects my suburb to the city centre and we have no rail serving the entire population of this part of Auckland which amounts to over 100,000 people now.

It took travelling and living in a different part of the world for me to appreciate what I had in England as far as public transport went, and Stockholm beats nearly every English city hands down. It's good to campaign for more, sure, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth! This is just an opinion from an outsider.
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #205
Swede
forumer #29

We might have it pretty good, and those new buses do seem real nice. However... loads of money is being spent making the metroarea more auto-dependant.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #206
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Hopefully with the road spending we'll see continued investment in PT to go along with it. I'm a huge advocate of PT, but I can understand why there is investment in roads too. At least Stockholm maintains one of the best modal splits in Europe whilst still having the shortest commute time for cars in the world judging from the IBM commuter pain survey.

I mean, if we do total things up, the tram extension, roslagbanan upgrade, tvarbanan extensions and citybanan as well as other upgrades around the network there has been a good amount of investment in PT too. Hopefully this will continue with the other projects that are on the table - looks like the blue line might be extended sooner than initially planned at the moment if the newspapers are to be believed!
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #207
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 1022

Apologies.... I haven't read the entire thread, but can anyone tell me if Stockholm might get a PRT system too. I note that there has been extensive research into such a system in Sweden, and seem to remember seeing videos of experts talking about the benefits for Stockholm etc.... have I got that wrong?
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #208
laso

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hughes View Post
Apologies.... I haven't read the entire thread, but can anyone tell me if Stockholm might get a PRT system too. I note that there has been extensive research into such a system in Sweden, and seem to remember seeing videos of experts talking about the benefits for Stockholm etc.... have I got that wrong?
Well, yes it´s right that it has been some discussions about that, but the only more current suggestion is to build one in the campus of the Royal institute of Technology and to connect it to the University of Stockholm and the medical university (Karolinska). However, there are just ideas. There have also been some ideas of building prt system in Uppsala (70 km from Stockholm and in Södertälje - (about 35 km from Stockholm).
laso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #209
Swede
forumer #29

^But just like almost everywhere else PRT is seen as a cooky mix of the downsides of cars and trains, and still very unlikely to happen. More likely is increased bus services (KTH-SU already has subway.

@Svartmetall - yeah, there are loads of projects in the works and some big ones are already U/C. But with Förbifarten locking in the revenue from the congestion tax for the next 30-40-?? years, the investment rate isn't going to keep up with what it could be, what it needs to be. As for the Blue subway line extension... it's in the plans from the 60s! it should have been opened a decade or two ago, and I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Right now I'm hoping mostly for Tvärbana Kista, Tvärbana Syd and inner city trams to get funding. Tvärbana Syd would be effin' sweet since I'm moving to just 50m from a stop on the 173 bus next week
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM   #210
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Construction Update - Tvärbanan

Another update from SSC user Michau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michau View Post
Thank you for your comments on my post about Tvärbanan in Sundbyberg.

Here is a small update (2011.07.20)

The bridge at Ekenbergsbron is slowly growing. It is expected to be finished at the end of september:

Works at Landsvägen in central Sundbyberg:

The future tvärbana stop in Sundbyberg Centrum:

Another part of Landsvägen, closer to the Bällstaån: (2011.07.16)

All the works in Sundbyberg should be finished by the end of this year. And then follows a long time of impatient waiting until the summer of 2013...
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #211
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Citybanan Update Video

Construction is in full swing for the Citybanan project under central Stockholm. Here is a little update from Trafikverket

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #212
dj4life

Thank you for adding the video, Svartmetall!
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #213
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Thank you for finding the video! Sorry I probably should have credited you!
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #214
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Thank you for finding the video! Sorry I probably should have credited you!
That is absolutelly no problem as i am not an author of the video, anyway. However i thank you for your response.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #215
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Drivers view of Roslagsbanan narrow gauge suburban rail line. The northern part of the line is actually rural.

This part of the line was supposed to get axed but still remain in service.

Last edited by gincan; August 3rd, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #216
dj4life

Great videos! thank you for sharing.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #217
dj4life

A few webcamera shots of the construction work of 'Citybanan':

at Riddarfjärden:

(c) webkameror.se

at Riddarholmen:

(c) webkameror.se

at Odenplan:

(c) webkameror.se

at Tomteboda:

(c) webkameror.se

Source: http://webbkameror.se/byggkameror/tr...anan/index.php
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #218
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Wow, just goes to show the scale of the work underway at the moment - the whole of Stockholm looks like a construction site at the moment. That last webcam is the most impressive of all.

Thanks for the links, dj4life!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM   #219
dj4life

A construction of an Årsta-Älvsjö bridge, a part of the project 'Cytbanan' is nicelly illustrated in this video:

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #220
dj4life

And another video with a tram journey to the island of museums with a tram 'Bombardier Flexity Classic', Djurgården (Spårväg City), captured:

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden