daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #221
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Construction Update - Södertälje Duplication

The Pendeltåg line to Södertälje is being fully duplicated to allow better reliability as well as improved services upon completion of the Citybanan project.

Here is a picture of Södertälje Hamn station to the south of the town which is currently undergoing renovation. Photo taken by SSC user Hasse78.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse78 View Post
The building with the new Södertälje hamn station is almost done. Pic from yesterday

Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #222
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Thank you for adding this.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #223
dj4life

The company 'Storstockholms Lokaltrafik' has launched a public voting to choose the design of the new light rail trams that will be delivered in the future:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delo View Post
You can now vote for how the livery will look on the new trams:

http://nyavagnar.sl.se
The new trams are manufacture by the spanish manufacturer 'CAF'. Also, the capacity of the 'CAF' trams will be bigger than of those that are used today ('Bombardier Flexity Swift').

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon85 View Post
I just saw that CAF also has a site about the Stockholm tram. Sadly, it lacks images.

http://www.caf.net/ingles/productos/...d=649&sec=desc
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #224
dj4life

Construction Update - Tvärbanan in Sundbyberg

Construction work of a new light rail line till Solna station is being successfully continued.
Here are pictures of a new line in Sunbyberg and Solna. Photo taken by SSC user Michau.

Sundbyberg centrum, Landsvägen:

At the end of the street you can see the steel construction of the future bridge over Mälarbanan:

Here it is! It grows continuously and shall be put in place sometime in September:

The concrete part of the bridge:

View towards the bridge from Solna Business Park:

Solna Business Park, Svetsarvägen:

[/QUOTE]

The part between Karlsbodavägen and the tunnel in Traneberg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michau View Post
On the map below I've marked in red the area covered in this post:

The original map with description of the current works can be found in SL's Nyhetsbrev nr 3/2011 on this page: http://www2.sl.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=16948

The works on this section are very advanced, the rails are laid almost on the whole stretch and the finishing works have started.

The surroundigs are not very exiting. It's an old industrial area and you somehow have a feeling that the route leads through a no man's land. But as we all probably know there are plans to convert it in the future into a modern housing area (like Hammarby Sjöstad etc.).

So here we go. We start at the tram stop "Karlsbodavägen":

View back in the direction of Sundbyberg:

View in the direction of Alvik:

We're approaching "Norra Ulvsunda" stop along Masugnvägen:

Here is the future stop (Norra Ulvsunda). It is currently situated "on the backside of everything". There is no public way to reach it...

That is how the surrondings currently look like:

The area is a bit outdated

Carlsberg's brewery The "landmark" of Ulvsunda industriområde:

The "main street" - Ranhammarsvägen:

We are now at the Norrbyvägen. The view back in the direction of "Norra Ulvsunda":

View in the other direction. The passage under Norrbyvägen:

We've reached Johannesfred. A view back:

And a view towards the bridge over Ulvsundasjön:

The stop "Johannesfred" will be located just before the bridge:

Future tram stop "Johannesfred":

A passage for Johannesfredsvägen right under the stop:

On the west side of the tracks we can see the construction area of Ulvsundadepån (the depot for the trams), I suppose:

Some views of the bridge:

Now we've crossed the Ulvsundasjön and reached the mouth of the tunnel under Traneberg. You can see it on the right here:

The bridge seen from the Traneberg side. It will be opened for pedestrians this autumn:

Last pic of the bridge:

And a view towards the tunnel (can be seen in the middle of the pic):

Big thank you to Michau for the updates.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #225
dj4life

Construction Update - Citybanan

The construction work of a new railway tunnel under the inner Stockholm continues. Photos taken by SSC user Michau
Quote:

Citybanan works at Söderstöm.

And a view of the works at Söderström from Monteliusvägen:

Works at Fatbursparken. When the construction of tunnel underground will be finished the territory will tidied ot by creating urban parks. ne of them is Fatbursparken:

Works on "citybanan" at Fatbursparken:

Quote:

Big thank you to Michau for the updates.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #226
dj4life

A new transport terminal is being planed to be built in Järfälla on the regional line 'Mälarbanan'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
Mälarbanans utbyggnad i Järfälla

Source: http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressro...rfaella-650493
Thank you to Boscorelli.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #227
dj4life

Construction update - Road E18 Hjulsta-Kista

An update by forumer Michau:

Quote:
Here some pics from construction works on the E18 Hjulsta-Kista(2011.08.09).

View from Rinkeby towards Kista. Victoria Tower as a bonus

View from Rinkeby towards Rissne:

Thank you to Michau.
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #228
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Great work, dj4life! I was going to cross-post these today, but you saved me a job!

The area around Ulvsunda will look so much better once all the construction of housing areas is finished. At least the light rail link will bring much needed, high quality public transport to the area.

As for Citybanan - very exciting! The improved park that will go over the top of the Citybanan line looks nicely designed too. I'm sure the locals are looking forward to having their green space back.

The Mälarbanan project and upgrading of the pendeltåg line out west will be a big improvement for both city traffic and long-distance railways with increased capacity to the major regional cities of Västerås, Enköping and Örebro with more frequent connections to them.

All in all, very good!

Last edited by Svartmetall; August 11th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #229
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Also, the Ulvsunda area has a vision to improve its density as well as liveability upon completion of the light rail line. Here is a render of the vision as posted by Boscorelli (thanks, Bosco)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
Only visions so far.

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #230
dj4life

That was absolutely no problem, Svartmetall. I am sorry for not writting more informative comments myself. Actually, it is still a bit tricky for me to name some places or objects correctly.
It is amazing to know how fast Sweden is changing nowadays. So many projects are being realised at one time and there is no surprise that the constructions sector is growing fast (even if compared to developing European countries like Poland).
Honestly, i get even sad because i cannot picturise these projects myself as i currently spend my time in homeland. Hoewever, luckilly, i will come back to Stockholm quite soon.
I hope you are fine and will come to Sweden soon and see how it changes yourself. Wish you luck.
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #231
dj4life

A very short video with tram 'Bombardier Flexity Classic' coming to the stop 'Tivoli Gröna Lund':

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #232
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Hagsätra Branch Rehabilitation Update

The Hagsätra branch of the Green Line on the Tunnelbana system is currently undergoing complete rehabilitation with new signalling systems, new station refits, new tracks and ballast and bridge reinforcement. It is currently closed during the refurbishment, however, replacement buses run at 5 minute intervals along its length.

Here are some update photos by SSC User Swede. Many thanks for his excellent contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Pictures from yesterday, taking a walk along the Hagsätra line

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #233
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

New Trams for Tvärbanan

New trams manufacturered by CAF will be seen on the Tvärbanan in the near future. They will serve the current stretch and the extension towards Solna Station. This video shows the ideas for the new designs both outside and in.

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #234
dj4life

Great find! Finally, we can see how the new trams will look like. Of course, it is hard to compare the new trams seen in the video with the 'Bombardier Flexity Swift' that are currently in use, but it seems that the capacity of the 'CAF' trams will be bigger.
Thank you for sharing, Svartmetall.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #235
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Will the new stretch be separated from road traffic? It would be much better in terms of speed. I've just been in Stockholm and rode the Tvärbanan. The speed on the tram-like stretch was really disappointing. It was so slowly that 7-years old kids on their bikes were way faster.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #236
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Will the new stretch be separated from road traffic? It would be much better in terms of speed. I've just been in Stockholm and rode the Tvärbanan. The speed on the tram-like stretch was really disappointing. It was so slowly that 7-years old kids on their bikes were way faster.
There is only one tram stretch and that is through Grondal where there isn't space to make it segregated. The speed limit through that area for cars (and the trams) is 30km/h hence the slow speed. That's why that section is slow for the tram, not because the tram can't go faster, but because speeds are limited for both cars and trams. The Liljeholmen section has a 50km/h speed limit for both cars and trams.

Most of the Tvarbanan is segregated and most of the new section, I believe will be completely segregated.
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #237
Falubaz

That's good news for the residents i guess. Coz on the segregated sections i rode - the speed was nice... at some point i saw even 80km/h.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #238
Falubaz

Some my pics of Stockholms transport.

L22 Alvik stn.

L22 Gullmarsplan

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #239
Falubaz

Saltsjöbanan (L25) Slussen stn.

L21
Ropsten stn.

Skärsätra

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:03 AM   #240
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Nice photographs! I'm surprised that a tourist took the Saltsjöbanan given that it only serves the tiny community of Saltsjöbaden. Were you visiting friends? Same with the Lidingöbanan - a bit out of the way for a tourist, though the small island community was quite interesting to me admittedly.

I can't wait until the Lidingöbanan gets its new rolling stock. It's a fantastic journey but the stock is currently a little on the old side. They'll be replaced by modern light rail vehicles in the near future as the whole line is undergoing an upgrade to improve frequency and signalling.

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden