daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #281
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Changing buses with trams in busier lines is always an improvement, IMO.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #282
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #283
Falubaz

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old August 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #284
Falubaz

And this is the last set of my pictures from Stockholm metro - Tunelbana.
I wish i could have seen the stations on the closed section on the blue line Rådhuset-T-Centralen-Kungsträdgården.

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #285
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

An excellent collection of pictures. You really did travel around the system and I am glad you enjoyed your travels!

That blue line segment will be open again on the 25th of September.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #286
Falubaz

Well, i will see it next time then.
And how about the east extention of the blue line? Any rumors?

Old August 30th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #287
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Well, i will see it next time then.
And how about the east extention of the blue line? Any rumors?
Extensions of the blue line are currently in planning/wish-list phase. A number of routes present themselves.

#1. Via Skansen - Hammarby Sjöstad - Daviksbron - Nacka Forum etc.
#2. Via Södermalm to Nacka.

The end points of the line are either:

#1. Nacka Strand
#2. Orminge
#3. Gustavsberg

Really it's about when and where rather than if as there is considerable pressure to build the blue line extension. Myself I'd rather see a forked blue line extension with one of the forks linking up to the Green Line at
Skärmarbrink and then running down the Farsta Strand branch. That way each line of the metro would only consist of two branches rather than the Green Line having three.
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #288
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Extension of Spårväg City

Image sourced from SL.

On the 30th of August, the Traffic Committee's decision to proceed with the second phase of the expansion and the Spårväg City has been approved.

When completed, the light rail will extend from the centre of Stockholm at Sergels Torg to Gåshaga bridge on Lidingö. This will link the new district of Stockholm City to modern, high performance and environmentally friendly public transport.

Light rail line will be part of the Stockholm Norra Djurgårdsstadens strong environmental profile, when the trams run on electricity from renewable energy sources.

Map sourced from SL and re-uploaded to Imageshack.
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #289
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I wonder why Stockholm's light rail lines use different types of vehicles instead of one standard model.

And as for the extension, does that mean that Lidingöbanan will become part of Spårväg City (or at least would allow for through-service)?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #290
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I wonder why Stockholm's light rail lines use different types of vehicles instead of one standard model.

And as for the extension, does that mean that Lidingöbanan will become part of Spårväg City (or at least would allow for through-service)?
Well, the reasoning behind the use of different rolling stock is historical. The Nockebybanan was upgraded to run the same trams as the Tvärbanan as they share the same depot and control system. The Saltsjöbanan is isolated from the Tvärbanan at the moment and so runs its own dedicated rolling stock as it is a much older line, same with the lidingöbanan on Lidingö.

Spårväg City was chosen to have different livery to the other light rail lines in a competition on SL.se. The rolling stock, however, being flexity swifts is exactly the same as that seen on the Tvärbanan.

The Lidingöbanan is currently being upgraded and fully converted into a light rail line and new rolling stock procurement is occurring at this moment. I am currently unsure as to whether there will be seamless integration between Spårväg City and the Lidingöbanan as the announcement for extension only occurred relatively recently.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #291
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Really it's about when and where rather than if as there is considerable pressure to build the blue line extension. Myself I'd rather see a forked blue line extension with one of the forks linking up to the Green Line at
Skärmarbrink and then running down the Farsta Strand branch. That way each line of the metro would only consist of two branches rather than the Green Line having three.
As usual, I find myself agreeing with you. The original plan from the 60s showed one branch going to Nacka with the other taking over the Hagsätra branch of the Green line. While that would be a great opportunity for a complete re-design of the Gullmarsplan station complex, I'm not sure whether I prefer transferring the Hagsätra of the Farsta branch to the Blue line. right this minute I'm leaning towards the Hagsätra branch, but then again there's the matter of turn radius and such to get it to that line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Extension of Spårväg City

Image sourced from SL.
On the 30th of August, the Traffic Committee's decision to proceed with the second phase of the expansion and the Spårväg City has been approved.
When completed, the light rail will extend from the centre of Stockholm at Sergels Torg to Gåshaga bridge on Lidingö. This will link the new district of Stockholm City to modern, high performance and environmentally friendly public transport.

Light rail line will be part of the Stockholm Norra Djurgårdsstadens strong environmental profile, when the trams run on electricity from renewable energy sources.

Map sourced from SL and re-uploaded to Imageshack.
Whoa! Do I see an extension across Sergels Torg to outside Åhléns? sweeeeeeeeeet.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #292
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Why hasn't the metro been expanded in 15 years?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #293
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

A lack of political will and money (if there is enough political will, there is almost always money to be found). There are a couple of extensions of the outer ends of lines by a station or two that could be planned/built fairly easily, but the main discussions these years have been about substantial new stretches though and those debates tend to take decades now in Stockholm.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #294
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Unfortunately that's a problem found in couple of other cities around the world too, but at least you have a good system IMO.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #295
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Unfortunately that's a problem found in couple of other cities around the world too, but at least you have a good system IMO.
As a new resident of Stockholm I can definitely attest to this now. Commuting is a dream compared to other parts of the world I have experienced. I think it is only when one has stepped away from a "good" system like this that one can come back with a fresh pair of eyes and properly appreciate it. The one thing I will struggle to get used to is how well patronised it is. The metro was absolutely packed to bursting at peak hour, and bus number 3 was again, so full one could barely move. Thankfully I only have a short journey by the bus from the metro station to where I work.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #296
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Reopening of the Green line to Hagsätra

The green line of the Tunnelbana has been closed to Hagsätra whilst much needed rennovations were undertaken. All stations have been deep-cleaned, rennovated and had new signalling systems installed to allow for more reliable running. The tracks have been replaced and reballasted. The line now reopens today to the public on Sunday before having to cope with peak hour use on Monday.

Here is a short video showcasing the work they have done.

Old October 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #297
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Making Cycling even more attractive

Stockholm is going to put over one billion kronor into improving cycling infrastructure around the city between 2012 and 2018. This includes reducing vehicle parking spaces and making it easier to cycle by including segregated pathways for bikes, priority for bikes and improved bike parking.

The aim is to get even more people onto bikes as Stockholm currently has a modal share of around 7% of people cycling as their mode of transportation - this is currently less than the number of people walking which stands at 15%.

image hosted on flickr

cycling road @ stockholm by kobakou, on Flickr
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #298
Keepon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

The Scandinavian model and its cycling-friendly cities should be an example for Europe.

It would've been so awesome to use my bike in a city like Stockholm.
Keepon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #299
ShaEreHugo

Likes (Received): 11

Great thread Svartmetall! A really nice read, even for a Stockholmares point of view! Thank you for your effort!
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #300
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaEreHugo View Post
Great thread Svartmetall! A really nice read, even for a Stockholmares point of view! Thank you for your effort!
You're welcome! As someone who now lives in Stockholm it's really nice to see my efforts on this thread in person finally and see all the improvements going on in the city.

I hope to update more over the coming years given there is so much happening here. Stay tuned!

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden