daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #301
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10648

I am curious about how environmentally friendly those trains are. For example is the lighting LED, do they use new type of motors with higher regenerative braking (or do they currently use regenerative braking)? Do they have air purifier inside? After the fukushima incident I have become obsessed with energy efficiency and one of the things I always research about is actually Scandinavia and the reneweable energy schemes going on there. Do you know if there is any plan of those bicycle sharing using motorised bikes with solar panal charing stations? That would be nice
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #302
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8777

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I am curious about how environmentally friendly those trains are. For example is the lighting LED, do they use new type of motors with higher regenerative braking (or do they currently use regenerative braking)? Do they have air purifier inside? After the fukushima incident I have become obsessed with energy efficiency and one of the things I always research about is actually Scandinavia and the reneweable energy schemes going on there. Do you know if there is any plan of those bicycle sharing using motorised bikes with solar panal charing stations? That would be nice
Believe it or not, I can't answer most of those questions. I know that regenerative braking is definitely used, however, I can't comment further than that on the generation of braking that is used. When it comes to energy efficiency I can tell you that due to our climate that our vehicles are double glazed and well insulated to minimise the costs of heating/cooling them during winter/summer. I can tell you that the fleet is largely powered by renewable sources as Sweden has very little fossil fuel electricity generation. Most of it is by hydroelectric power and nuclear power meaning that it largely sources energy from renewable or low-polluting sources which is definitely a start. Stockholm is particularly committed to green sources for energy - for example nearly all buses here use biofuels, ethanol or natural gas for their fuel which helps.

As for motorised bike charging stations, I am unsure at the moment. The plans have only just been announced so plans are very much in the preliminary stages now that funding has been set aside for it. The project for the bike system will span between 2012 and 2018 so there is a huge scope for projects to change. I will keep everyone updated on here.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #303
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Welcome back Nynäsbanan

The Nynäsbanan stretch between Västerhaninge and Nynäshamn has been reopened for pendeltåg traffic. The stretch is currently undergoing double tracking despite the lower population density and has had new signalling and power lines installed over the three months since it has been out of service. Full works on the line are predicted to end in 2012.

Roslagsbanan Improvements

The Roslagsbanan between Kårsta and Kragstalund will be closed for new bridge building and as part of the improvement works for this stretch. This is to remove a level crossing at Vallentuna to allow more accurate times to be kept on the Roslagsbanan.

This work is part of a large scale improvement of the Roslagsbanan to allow more frequent trains along the three lines that make up the Roslagsbanan.

Roslagsbanan To Arlanda Airport

There is a consultation under way to see whether it is feasible to build a rail link between eastern Stockholm and Arlanda airport. This would allow four different rail systems to connect to Arlanda airport which is currently served by SJ regional and intercity trains, Upptåget and the Arlanda Express rail services, thus improving flexibility for travellers from eastern Stockholm to the airport.

Jakobsberg Bus Terminal

Works have now finished at Jakobsberg where there is now a new bus terminal to connect the pendeltåg and Jakobsberg centrum. This new terminal allows for a more comfortable waiting area for passengers as well as more clear information for those wishing to travel in north-western Stockholm.

The new terminal was opened by Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel.

Image taken from SL

Last edited by Svartmetall; November 17th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #304
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Community Consultation - Roslagsbanan

Storstockholm Lokaltrafiken (SL) are launching a community consultation on the expansion of the Roslagsbanan across the north of Stockholm to Arlanda airport to give better connections from the east of the city to the airport and north western suburbs as well as providing a second rail route to Uppsala. This would create better flexibility for those wanting to travel to and from the airport for work and for tourism purposes as well as allowing easier commutes to Uppsala from the North Eastern suburbs.

The response from the community was so large that the meeting had to be rescheduled to a larger venue and it will now be held on the 26th of January in Vallentuna.
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #305
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Tunnelbana Photos

Took a ride on the Tunnelbana and decided to capture some photos given that it is a veritable treasure trove of fantastic stations.

Here are a couple that I photographed.

Rinkeby

Basic rock station with a few works of art around it.

Tensta

A nature-themed station with lots of animals/forests shown. Also has the theme of "brotherhood" throughout too, showing cooperation in a lot of the murals. Not pictured are a few noticeboards showing the artwork of young children from the local school.

Rissne

This station shows the last 5000 years of human history along its walls documenting major dynasties/empires throughout history as well as major events. Could spend an hour or so reading everything here!

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #306
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Great pics!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #307
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Great pics!
Thanks! I genuinely love my tunnelbana - it's a great system. I only wish I got to use the blue line more often as it's particularly attractive as far as stations go.
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #308
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Great uppdate, Svartmetall! Thank you.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #309
dj4life

Newly designed Bombardier Flexity Classic trams that are used in line Spårväg City:

Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM   #310
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Pictures of Public Transport

Tunnelbana - Tekniska högskolan Station

Roslagsbanan - Stockholm Östra

Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:26 PM   #311
dj4life

Fantastic pictures! Also, KTH metro stop is one of my favorites.
Tack så mycket!
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #312
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Great thread!, I think Dublin should take a lesson from Stockholm in how to get things right in terms of transport and efficiency! I'm going to regularly check this thread, cheers!
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #313
dj4life

Just found this cool picture with Solna metro station:

image hosted on flickr

Belly Of The Beast - (Stockholm, Sweden) by blame_the_monkey, on Flickr

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #314
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Citybanan Update

The latest report on the construction of Citybanan, the tunnel under the centre of Stockholm for the pendeltåg along with two new stations for better accessibility to the pendeltåg for the majority of inner-city dwellers as well as better integration with buses and the metro.

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #315
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

SL Beats Environmental Targets

SL announced the results from its environmental study that is conducted every four years. Not only were the targets met, but they were beaten in every category.

Results:

Target: 50% of all buses running on renewable fuels
Achievement: 58%

Target: 50% of all cars in service for SL to be environmentally friendly
Achievement: 76%

Target: Reduce nitrogen oxide emissions from buses by 15%
Achievement 22%

Target: Reduce particulate matter emissions from buses by 25%
Achievement: 46%

Target: Utilise 75% renewable energy throughout the system.
Achievement: 76%

Target: All premises of SL using 85% renewable energy.
Achievement: 87%

Target: Reduce energy use by 5% from 2007 levels.
Achievement: 7%
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #316
dj4life

A new suburban railway (pendeltåg) line between Älvsjö and Uppsala

Starting from 9th of december SL suburban trains (pendeltåg) will be operating between Älvsjö (Stockholmsmässan/Stockholm International Fairs) and Uppsala! That means the connection between Stockholm city center and the northern suburbs will be even more easy as the new line will complement the existing one between Södertälje hamn/Östertälje and Märsta. However, the popular 'Upptåget' line between Upplands Väsby and Uppsala will be changed to Uppsala - Sala.

Source: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=5029679 (in Swedish). The new was also published in 'Sigtunabyggden' where I read it myself.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #317
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

This is great news! Glad to hear it.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #318
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Easter Weekend is Building Weekend!

Image sourced from SL.

Construction is well underway in Stockholm on new lines, improved connections and general maintenance over the Easter period. Here are a number of improvements going to be underway:

Massive works between Stockholm Centralstation and Älvsjö for Citybanan
All Pendeltåg trains are cancelled between Stockholm Centralstation and Älvsjö. Replacement buses are running to connect the stations to the metro system to allow Pendeltåg trains to operate the rest of the routes.

Closure of the Tvärbanan
Light rail traffic between Sickla udde and Liljeholmen is stopped to improve the signalling along the route to allow doubling of frequencies on the highly popular Tvärbanan line ready for the opening of the new section between Alvik and Solna Station. Buses will replace the light rail line for this section.

Stadshusbron Closure
Stadshusbron is closed for five days for extensive renovation work. Buses 3 and 62 will be affected with possible reroutes over Kungsbron instead.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #319
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
This is great news! Glad to hear it.
Indeed, a great new.
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:04 AM   #320
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Public Transport Photos

Time for some more public transport photos.

Bus

Just a few photos taken from the bus-only street at S:t Eriksplan Tunnelbanestation.

Tunnelbana

Hötorget

Bagarmossen

Skarpnäck

Thorildsplan

Stadshagen

Fridhemsplan

Blackeberg

Sundbybergs Centrum

Universitet

Last edited by Svartmetall; March 31st, 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden