daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #21
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

Chilenofuturista ???
The trains' frequency is just laughable, I mean, every 10 minutes?!?! God, that's the frequency many commuter train systems in continental Europe got. And what about this policy of 5 min on peak hours? 5 min?!?!?!
That's ages in other systems, a real peak hour is everything from every 30 seconds to 3 min.
???

In Oslo every subway train have 15 min on peak hours!!! That means 15 min where the lines ends. You cant sya that subway in sweden is bad because of bad peak hour trains. In Oslo, trains are big! Yes big. It can be explained as, that the roof of Oslo wagons would fall of in most of European subway systems.

Stockholm, 20% of the roof
London and Paris, 60% of the roof

A 6 wagon subway in Oslo is the same as 8 in Stockholm etc. We are tall people,.. thats why I guess
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #22
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 163

I don´t see the pics!!!

I will be there in about 15 days and I am looking forward to use this Metro network!!!
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #23
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

These earthy stations are on just one line, yes? Still, it makes the Stockholm subway one of my favourite.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #24
Truepioneer

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! really unique, I like it.

The ground underneath stockholm must be really hard if they can leave it exposed instead of enforcing it with concrete/steel and whatever other materials.
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #25
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

@chileno: I think you are overreacting a tad. Okay, i agree that slussen is really filthy and distussting but most stations are actucally cleaner than other systems, like Paris or London. And 10 mins for the train to arrive depends on where you´re going. I usally take the subway to hötorget and other innercity stations and the trains always leave within 1-3 minutes. But you might have to wait if you are in remote place of the subway system, fine, big deal 10 minutes of your life.

The trains are clean to, from that i have seen (I travel with the subway about 3 times a week). I would say that Stockholm has a great commuter system, including the subway for such a small city. I do agree that the stations are ugly although and they are totaly not art.

That's all from me, enjoy

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #26
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I love T-banan.
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #27
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

Me too. The only bad thing I can say is that frequences are too low in the branches. But the design is just good - not too majestic, but simply stylish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by found View Post
are there any other subway systems like this in the world???
The system we have here in Helsinki resembles Stockholm's blue line although not all stations are decorated like the ones in Stockholm.

But too many of them are spiritles and boring due to lack of colors and pieces of art:

We should learn from Stockholm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepioneer View Post
The ground underneath stockholm must be really hard if they can leave it exposed instead of enforcing it with concrete/steel and whatever other materials.
Nordic granite is one of the hardest types of soil you can find on earth.

Last edited by Jape; March 21st, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #28
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

And also, it's not exposed. There's a layer of cement or concrete on the rockfaces. Helps seal it against water and such. But no reinfrcement needed, the granite is HARD.

@chileno - I don't agree at all. Of the subways I've been on (Sthlm, Cph, NYC, LDN, Praha) Stockholm's isn't dirty at all (unless compared to CPH - but theirs is IMO almost LRT-like).
As for trains being late - happens to me every single day! but 99% of the time only by 2-3 minutes. Basically they messed up when making the schedules (why else would the train from my station always be 2min late?).
10min off-peak isn't much, true. But the number of passengers isn't high enough to need more. Comes from most areas being low-rise...
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ţróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #29
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Sure, some Asian metros are more efficient but the the design of the Stockholm metro is one of a kind IMO.
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #30
Simoki

Likes (Received): 0

What is IMO?
Simoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #31
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3709

In My Opinion
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #32
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Stockholm surely is one of the top 3 world's coolest metro systems for its extraordinary station designs!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #33
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 174

Stockholm could be better, but it´s okay. The system as such is good, but some stations are a bit too dirty such as the whole T-Centralen complex with numerous of accesses to the streets and so on. A haven for drug dealers and such people. But whatever, I find Karlsplatz here in Vienna equally bad. Btw, from what I´ve heard, Opernpassage at Karlsplatz (built 1950-1955) inspired Sergels torg at T-centralen (built in the early sixties?). It´s got the same oval form in the underground and so on.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #34
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Stockholm could be better, but it´s okay. The system as such is good, but some stations are a bit too dirty such as the whole T-Centralen complex with numerous of accesses to the streets and so on. A haven for drug dealers and such people. But whatever, I find Karlsplatz here in Vienna equally bad. Btw, from what I´ve heard, Opernpassage at Karlsplatz (built 1950-1955) inspired Sergels torg at T-centralen (built in the early sixties?). It´s got the same oval form in the underground and so on.
Actually they redid the whole mainentrance to T-centralen towards sergelstorg. It's really nice now in my opinion, very modern and way better than it was before.

Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #35
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

Yeah...some pics are unable to see. But this looks very original and cool. Can someone post more pics?
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #36
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Yeah sure, i can post some pics soon, but i don't have time right now, maybe tmmr.

Old March 30th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #37
micro

Likes (Received): 106

MORE PHOTOS AND ANNOTATIONS OF THE STOCKHOLM METRO STATIONS
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #38
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

wow...fantastic! I especially like that picture of World on stone.
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #39
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

^That's at Rissne. has one map like that and then time-lines all over both walls showing the history of the world (empires and such). One of the cooler ideas, and probably helped kids learn history a bit

Here's a shot I took of the doors/gate I came out of on my way to work about a week ago.

the text says
the Gate | opens
Friday | s 21:00
i.e., Stargate Atlanits at 21 on fridays (on channel six).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ţróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM   #40
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Interesting design... which year were the stations with the exposed rock ceiling built?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden