daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #541
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Very beautiful interior decoration.
are those actual painted cave walls?
Please don't quote whole post with all pictures inside, really annoying.

But great pictures, beautiful stations
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM   #542
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

I rode Arlanda express last week and it was great! Very fast.
I took the commuter train back to the airport without luggage thank god and it took forever so Arlanda express is the way to go for sure! I didn't like how the airport charged an extra 75 sek to get on the commuter train and to get OFF the train at the airport! WTF?!? The lady said because it's a private station there is that fee.
Also the entire time I was in Stockholm I never paid to ride the light rail to Grona Lund/Skansen.
The first time a group of us tried to pay cash on the train the girl(ticket agent walking the train) said nevermind and that it was difficult meeting me in the first place. umm ok... lol then everytime I got on with my SL card that i never put money on I would show it, tell them theres no money on it yet and they would just shrug it off and walk on or tell me to top it off at a station. In the US they would have slapped a fine on me every time if i pulled that. So i wonder how many people abuse the light rail.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #543
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
I rode Arlanda express last week and it was great! Very fast.
I took the commuter train back to the airport without luggage thank god and it took forever so Arlanda express is the way to go for sure! I didn't like how the airport charged an extra 75 sek to get on the commuter train and to get OFF the train at the airport! WTF?!? The lady said because it's a private station there is that fee.
Also the entire time I was in Stockholm I never paid to ride the light rail to Grona Lund/Skansen.
The first time a group of us tried to pay cash on the train the girl(ticket agent walking the train) said nevermind and that it was difficult meeting me in the first place. umm ok... lol then everytime I got on with my SL card that i never put money on I would show it, tell them theres no money on it yet and they would just shrug it off and walk on or tell me to top it off at a station. In the US they would have slapped a fine on me every time if i pulled that. So i wonder how many people abuse the light rail.
#1. The pendeltåg to the airport is intended for travellers who have more time, it is not a premium service. Arlanda is around 40km north of Centralstation, so it will take a decent amount of time to get there. The pendeltåg will take you there in 40 minutes, so an average of around 100km/h, which isn't a bad average speed. It takes twice as long as the Arlanda express, but when one factors in the fact that it is so far north, the pendeltåg travel time doesn't seem so bad.

The lady is dead right in saying that Arlanda station is privately owned by the airport, and thus you have to pay a gate fee to get off there, which is fair enough. It's still by far the cheaper option rather than the overly expensive Arlanda express. To avoid paying a charge, you can take the more frequent train to Märsta and catch a bus. This takes around 1 hour and is then completely covered by your SL card. It's the route I take to the airport to ensure I don't have to pay anything on top of my monthly card that I own.

#2. The light rail line to Waldemarsudde (via Skansen etc) is indeed a little poorly policed and ticket inspectors tend to give tourists the benefit of the doubt, but then it is up to you as a user to actually pay, and you should have loaded your card.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #544
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Saltsjöbanan (the cars are slight modifications to an older model of Stockholm Metro train):

image hosted on flickr

Vorortzug der Saltsjöbanan by kaffeeeinstein, on Flickr

kyah117 liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #545

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I love how they look like they're hovering a couple of dm above the ground.
Doesn't that gap seem awfully big? From a safety perspective...

It looks like one could very well be run over by the train, instead of having the front acting like a plow throwing you to the side.
10011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #546
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Good point!
I predict future models will have a front and sidings (at least near the doors) that adjusts itself based on the road under it and which will extend fully if it senses someone on the ground in front of it. Might take 30+ years til it to works right, but once it does... it'll be on most urban trams.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:02 PM   #547
dj4life

To wake the thread up..

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2448 ed by BumbyFoto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2508 ed by BumbyFoto, on Flickr
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #548
LeifSpangberg

Likes (Received): 53

Some new Tunnelbane videos, this time from the elderly system I or lately known as the green line...

-

-

-

-

-

/Leif

dj4life, Svartmetall, Swede liked this post

Last edited by LeifSpangberg; September 24th, 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Wrong color...
LeifSpangberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #549
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifSpangberg View Post
Some new Tunnelbane videos, this time from the elderly system I or lately known as the red line...
Really? It is more like a student line, I think. Two stations serve two large universities (SU and KTH).

Great videos. Thank you for your effort.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #550
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

That's the Green line, DJ, he made a slight error. The green is definitely my favourite line group, though. Most frequent and best route through the city.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #551
LeifSpangberg

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Really? It is more like a student line, I think. Two stations serve two large universities (SU and KTH).

Great videos. Thank you for your effort.
Sorry, my mistake. Of course it should be the green line

BTW, here are some videos from the blue line or subway system III

-

-

-

-

/Leif

Svartmetall, dj4life, Swede liked this post
LeifSpangberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #552
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

In a way it is a shame I don't take the blue line more often as it is definitely the prettiest. But it barely has a presence in the city unfortunately so I rarely take it.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #553
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
In a way it is a shame I don't take the blue line more often as it is definitely the prettiest. But it barely has a presence in the city unfortunately so I rarely take it.
Do you live in northern part of Stockholm now?

Thib's liked this post
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #554
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Do you live in northern part of Stockholm now?
Yep, on the student line and will do for the next three or so years.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #555
dj4life

Quote:
That's the Green line, DJ, he made a slight error. The green is definitely my favourite line group, though. Most frequent and best route through the city.
Sorry. I forgot in which lines the stations were located.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #556
dj4life

Quote:

Yep, on the student line and will do for the next three or so years.
Hey, and I lived near the red line and Roslagsbanan not so long ago. Do you reside in Mörby?

My relation with the green line is more interesting, though. It was the first line of tunnelbana which I used to commute to the city center and back to the suburb where my relatives lived before moving elsewhere. Travelling with the subway was an interesting addition to the other holidays in Sweden experiences. That happened almost 9 years ago, but the good memories still remain.

Last edited by dj4life; September 27th, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #557
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Hey, and I lived near the red line and Roslagsbanan not so long ago. Do you reside in Mörby?

My relation with the green line is more interesting, though. It was the first line of tunnelbana which I used to commute to the city center and back to the suburb where my relatives lived before moving elsewhere. Travelling with the subway was an interesting addition to the other holidays in Sweden experiences. That happened almost 9 years ago, but the good memories still remain.
Nope, not in Mörby. Bit closer to the city. I quite like the Roslagsbanan - just needs to be more frequent and have newer trains both of which are coming with the improvements they're doing on the line.
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #558
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

why is it there are no platform screen doors?

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #559
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
why is it there are no platform screen doors?
You could ask that about nearly every single metro system around the world, including the worlds most used (Tokyo). They are expensive to implement, and add an additional cost to running.

The new Citybanan stations being built now will have PSDs but whether they will be retrofitted to the metro network is another matter.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #560
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

As I understand it SL, the ones who own the metro, have been opposed to PSDs before but have lately started opening up to the idea. My guess is we'll see it tested on at least one station before the decade is out. Right now my thoughts are they'll start with a straight station on one of the Green line's branches to the south. The Green line since it uses only one type of cars (C20), on one of the southern branches since the works will have less impact there and on a straight station since it'll be a litlle bit simpler to do.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden