daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #561
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
why is it there are no platform screen doors?
Stockholm doesn't have a unified rolling stock design, so platform doors would have to be designed to be usable with old Cx, the current C20 and the future C30.

Also many stations are built to utilize the natural airflow cause by the trains for ventilation, platform screen doors would require expensive new ventilation systems to be installed. A positive effect of platform screen doors is that the air quality would improve considerably, some stations in Stockholm metro have very poor air quality.

Platform screen doors would also hinder the ca 10 suicides and additional 10 suicide attempts that occur every year in the metro.

Last edited by gincan; September 28th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #562
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

A vid about how traffic, including buses, will work at Slussen during the total re-construction of the place:

Sadly, they haven't done an English version but the main things to note are:
green lines: buses (and confusingly, suburban rail - but only the forked line at about 4:00)
yellow: bikes & pedestrians
red: general road traffic (i.e. mostly cars)
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM   #564
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Nice update. Really gives an impression as to how massive the construction project is.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #565
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

image hosted on flickr

20130731-_MG_7186 by hirschwrites, on Flickr
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #566
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14607

An American tv show Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was filmed in Stockholm's metro, in T-Centralen station. Starting from 1:00.

dj4life liked this post
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #567
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Weird thing is that it was filmed inside the renovated old trains (hence the longitudinal seating), but the exterior was of the newer C20 trains.

Also, I saw them filming with the red masks. Never realised it was for that!
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #568
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Yeah, me and a friend walked by Sergels torg as they were filming the guy's in the masks, but we thought it was some kind of demonstration or something going on.

The later scenes of the agents inspecting the train were clearly shot in a studio in Hollywood.

Later on in the episode the characters persue the suspect to Belarus. They can be seen driving down a country road. The road is clearly in Sweden (judging by a church and streetsigns). Later on there's an establishing shot for the town in Belarus where the rest of the story takes place. The shot is of Uppsala, a university town just north of Stockholm. The towers of Uppsala cathedral are visible behind a bridge (shot where Skolgatan crosses the river). The actors are not in Uppsala though, but in what looks like a random "European small town set" on some back lot in LA.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #569
Agent_007

Likes (Received): 3

Hi there!

There is one thing about the buses in Stockholm that I don't understand. Look at this picture:

image hosted on flickr

Stockholm - bus by klagscii, on Flickr

The red buttons are for a stop request. But what is the blue button for?
Agent_007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #570
Swede
forumer #29

That's also for stop requests, but with additional info to the driver that someone who needs more time/attention to be able to get off want to get off. I.e. disabled people, people with prams etc.

EDIT:
iirc the symbol on them is a wheelchair. Haven't really looked at them in a long time tho.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Last edited by Swede; October 25th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #571
Agent_007

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, I remember now that if someone with a pram is getting off, the driver lowers the bus to the right in order to minimize the step between the floor and the platform.

So is the outside button, that is next to the second door, for the same purpose?

image hosted on flickr

20070420 Stockholm City by powersmitchell, on Flickr
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #572
Swede
forumer #29

It's a pram symbol, not a wheelchair! mea culpa.

Yeah, it's the same basic purpose, with the addition of being a call to open that door at all since it's not automatic that all doors open at stops. Iirc it's also ment to make sure the driver keeps the door open long enough that it doesn't close on a kid getting on with the parent pushing the pram.
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #573
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Delete
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #574
Agent_007

Thanks!

I just wonder how good Sweden and other Nordic countries are for people with children or disabilities.
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #575
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_007 View Post
Thanks!

I just wonder how good Sweden and other Nordic countries are for people with children or disabilities.
I think Sweden, or at least Stockholm, is good. All tunnelbana stations have elevators as far as I know.
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #576
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Tvärbanan Opening Solnagrenen 2013 10 27

A new large stretch of the Tvärbanan has been opened today. The line now forms almost a 3/4 circle around Stockholm connecting a lot of key districts. The signalling system on the older part of the line needs to be upgraded now so that trains can run at 5 minute frequency all the time. Also making their debut were the new replacements for the current Tvärbanan rolling stock. They were very nice indeed, thank you CAF.

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #577
Agent_007

What a great news!

So let's say I want to go from Stora Essingen to Solna Centrum by this tram. Should I change the tram at Alvik?
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #578
Swede
forumer #29

Great pics!

the network from yesterday:
http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Gurre1
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #579
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_007 View Post
What a great news!

So let's say I want to go from Stora Essingen to Solna Centrum by this tram. Should I change the tram at Alvik?
Yes. Until sometime next year (late summer iirc), that's the way it'll be. Also count on the transfer at Alvik taking time since the Solna trams run at 15 minute intervals (not so synced with the Sickla trams).
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #580
Agent_007

Thank you! So line 22 consists of 2 separate tram lines now.

There is one more thing I don't understand about the new stretch. When I look at SL map (PDF), it seems that there is a dead end at Sundbyberg. Is it really a dead end or is it just such a way of drawing?

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden