daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM   #41
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Those are from the 70s (and later, but very few stations are later). So that's the Blue line and a few stations on the Red line.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #42
PCC
PCC

Likes (Received): 0

Stockholm subway

Hi!

I work in the Stockholm subway, the system works quite well, but it can allways be better and improved. During peakhours the trains run every minute in the down-town area and mostly 5 minutes on the suburban branches. The frequency is good and sufficient all over the network. But the system is verry crowded during peakhours. The signalsystem has been changed for the green subwaylines during mid 1990:ies from a good working (but old) American system to a crapy German system (Siemens) so the trains can not run as frequent as they did before on the green lines...

They R going 2 change the signalsystem on the other lines (red & blue) but I can hardly imagine that they will buy the German crap 4 the other lines...

The last few years, we have been suffering problems with all the chase for saving money in the Stockholm Transit system. The politicians whant to save more money on the transit system, and one result of this is that they R saving 2 much on the system so it does not work as well as it did 10-20 years ago.

The subwaysystem is verry beautiful with lots of diffrent kind of art and stationstyles. The oldes (green lines) stations that R from the 1950:ies R mostly fubrished with tiles in diffrent colors, the red system is a mix of old styled stations with tiles and colors designed "cavestyle" stations. The youngest system (blue lines) have modern "cavestyle" stations built during 1970-1980:ies.

The system is mostly verry clean, but unfortunaly the subwaysystem is a verry open system (as the whole country in basic, the "Swedish model") we get lots of alcoholics and other "messy people" normal people don´t whant beside them selves. An other problem that is growing bigger now is all the beggers from eastern Europe that are invading the subwaysystem...

The system that works best is the blue lines, also the most modern system, the blue lines have the cleanest cars. The red lines have the most dirty cars, there R some serious problems with the workshop at Nyboda (red lines workshop). The cars R extremly dirty and often verry bad technical shape.

There R in basic two diffrent class of subwaycars in Stockholm. The C20 class cars built in Sweden by Bombardier (former Adtranz, former ABB...) during the late 1990:ies and early 2000. These cars R verry nice and mostly well working cars exept 4 bad door construction and the lack of airconditioning (remarcably though!!!). The lack of airconditioning is a result of stupid and cheap politicians decision!

The other class of cars is the C6-C15 class cars, they R built in Sweden by ABB/Hägglunds between the 1960-1989. 4 the moment there R lots of problems with the 126 C14 class cars after a fire at Rinkeby station a couple of years ago. Safetyregulations have been tightened 4 these cars and they R often delayed and give big problems 4 the other trains on the blue and red lines.

But mostly the subwaysystem is a good and fast way of getting around in Stockholm and is is a big and important part of the infrastructure system in Stockholm. Without the subwaysystem Stockholm would be cloged up with massive cars on freaking highways all over town as a typical northern American big cities

And also inportant 2 remember is that there R lots of verry friendly and good people out there on the "fields" that work in the subwaysystem that realy do there best to make the trains run every day of the year! They realy deserve a big red rose all of them!

regards / PCC
PCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM   #43
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 495

It's perverse
Way to go Stockholm.
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #44
Swede
forumer #29

@PCC - that all lines up with what I've heard before. Maintence is way too little and usually too late (thus the two fires that's been at Rinkeby).
Except for C20 not having airconditioning, it does! Just not in the drivers cabin (who came up with that stroke of genius????).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM   #45
PCC
PCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
@PCC - that all lines up with what I've heard before. Maintence is way too little and usually too late (thus the two fires that's been at Rinkeby).
Except for C20 not having airconditioning, it does! Just not in the drivers cabin (who came up with that stroke of genius????).
It´s realy sad that there is so little and poor preventive maintanance in the Stockholm transit system. But everyone is so buisy chasing every single nickels to earn that the product has become verry poor later years...

But I have 2 say again that C20 does NOT have airconditioning (cooled air!), only in the drivers cabin in some cars! In the space 4 riders there is only forced ventilation and no cooling of air at all! There is also no windows that U can open at all! The C20 class cars R a pain 2 ride summertime! If U have a car with airconditioning U will never take the subway summerdays...

There is only one prototype C20 class car that does have airconditioning even in the passenger space, and that is car 2000.

Regards / PCC
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #46
Swede
forumer #29

^What about the one named "Icognito"?
/not quite a C20, just looks like one.

Always feels very cooled, that air, to me. But I'm a blue-line kinda guy, so summer or winter doesn't affect me when on the subway
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:14 AM   #47
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Sounds crazy. But maybe the drivers can open the front window a little to allow some movement of air at least (something the passengers cannot)?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #48
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Very artistic metro!

One of my favourites in Europe.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:12 AM   #49
PCC
PCC

Quote:
^What about the one named "Icognito"?
/not quite a C20, just looks like one.

Always feels very cooled, that air, to me. But I'm a blue-line kinda guy, so summer or winter doesn't affect me when on the subway
Well as I said above, car nr 2000 (named Incognito) is the only one with air condition, It is a C20 but some methods of carbuilding is diffrent, the car is still called C20 nothing else, perhaps C20F (Fikas).

It´s true that the air in the C20 cars feel cool when U take a ride on the blue lines, but that depends on the cold air in the tunnels that R deeper that rest of the system. But 4 sure, there is NO airconditioning in any C20 car (exept the protoype C20, nr 2000 Incognito)!

Regards / PCC
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #50
PCC
PCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Sounds crazy. But maybe the drivers can open the front window a little to allow some movement of air at least (something the passengers cannot)?
Not a single window is posible 2 open in the C20 cars! There is only forced ventilation in the cars, some drivers cabins do now have airconditioning, as i whrote above...

Regards / PCC
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #51
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

German national railway bids to operate Stockholm subway system
15 August 2008

BERLIN (AP) - Germany's national railway, Deutsche Bahn AG, said Friday that it is bidding to operate the subway system in the Swedish capital, Stockholm.

Deutsche Bahn is bidding via its S-Bahn Berlin subsidiary, which operates commuter trains in the German capital, senior company official Hermann von der Schulenburg said.

The bid was submitted in Stockholm on Friday. If successful, Deutsche Bahn would start running the subway, or T-bana, at the end of 2009.

Von der Schulenberg did not give financial details of the bid. He said that it envisioned Deutsche Bahn leasing the subway's trains. A decision on the successful bidder to operate the subway, which has some 3,000 employees, is expected early next year, Deutsche Bahn said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #52
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

The rock stations, is the rock real, as in the station was excavated through explosives? Or are they fake rock cladding?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #53
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

I think the rock cladding is fake.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #54
iampuking

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #55
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think the rock cladding is fake.
Actually the granite rock is covered with thin layer of concrete ( torcrete spray, to be precise) and then painted.
WotaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #56
iampuking

Old August 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM   #57
X38

Likes (Received): 22

God Damn beautiful stations.
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #58
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

There are three main lines in Stockholm who are then divided into branches. The blue line was the latest one constructed and features almost uniquely stations like Kungsträdgården. The green line is the oldest system but one branch has the newest stations and they are built in the same manner. The red line has one branch with these cave stations.

It has been a policy for the last 40 years to have a lot of art in Stockholm to ease the negative sides of travelling underground for a long period of time. The blue line stations are artpieces by themselves. There are regular guided tours of the art in the system.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #59
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 375

I am so fascinated by the Stockholm Metro. The stations are some of the most important, in terms of subway design. Right up there with London, NYC and Moscow.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #60
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1174

Excellent photos, thanks for posting.

I do like Stockholms network. Beautiful functional stations (at least downtown) and clean rolling stock. Almost always on time!

Can not get over the blight on the city that Slussen is though. I would love to do something with it. Ive walked the bridge alongside the tracks and despite being in one of the worlds most beautiful cities I couldnt help but feel dead inside.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden