daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #581
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

It's just the map. Look at the map I linked to in my last post, zoom in on Sundbyberg.
That line-map SL has needs to go. It's needs to be tossed out and started over, create a new one with a design to handle changes that are planned and/or seriously discussed.

yeah, it's two separate lines using the same number. Which is bad IMO. The Solna branch should be called 22S at least.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #582
Agent_007

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
It's just the map. Look at the map I linked to in my last post, zoom in on Sundbyberg.
Yeah, I see now.

Quote:
That line-map SL has needs to go. It's needs to be tossed out and started over, create a new one with a design to handle changes that are planned and/or seriously discussed.
Yes, and the new scheme would be really interesting! I wonder how they would draw the new Spårväg City stops next to the Central station in the future. The problem here is that both "Sergels torg" and "Centralen" tram stops will have ONE transfer metro station (T-Centralen). It's quite difficult to depict that using the current SL style.

By the way, in Russia, where I'm from, we had a competition in January in order to choose the best new scheme of the Moscow Metro. Some professional designers took part in that. The old scheme (JPG) was really ugly. Fortunately, now we have the new one (GIF). It's not perfect but, at least, it's nice-looking. Probably you need something like our competition in Stockholm.

Swede liked this post
Agent_007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #583
Swede
forumer #29

After reading your post, I suggested that to the transit agency on their facebook page. They were not dismissive. So we'll see how it goes...

Found this document linked to on the Swedish Tram Society's forum:
http://www.sll.se/Handlingar/Trafikn...2013-11-12.pdf

Mostly about how the current subway car fleet needs renovation sooner than initially planned since they have been in heavier use than was planned.
Part of the plan is a re-design of the interior layout, with one side having longitudinal seating to both make more space for standing passengers and to make people move to the free seats in other parts of the car instead of clogging up near the doors. Which side in longitudinal and which retains the old layout will switch at each door. Like so:

[IMG]http://i42.************/22aj5e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/qssiro.jpg[/IMG]
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Agent_007 liked this post
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #584
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

One thing they clearly need in Stockholm are more grab rails from the ceiling for standees. It can be incredibly difficult at present in the C20s to find somewhere to grab hold of in peak hour so you end up being thrown around (due to poorly calibrated acceleration/deceleration) more than on other systems.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #585
mopc

Likes (Received): 11988

Very similar model to the new Brazilian Tram in the Midwestern city of Cuiabá!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...397572&page=43
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #586
Swede
forumer #29

Both are CAF, so it makes sense. Should be the same model.
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #587
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

The bogie arrangement is different - they are on different mechanical platforms. Just the CAF "nose" is in common.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #588
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

The Stockholm tram is a custom design, it was the only chance for CAF to win the tender for the new tram. The other tram is the CAF Urbos model.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #589
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Today from Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...expansion.html

Stockholm agrees metro expansion

12 Nov 2013

SWEDEN: The Swedish government, Stockholm municipality, Greater Stockholm and the councils of Solna, Nacka and Järfälla have agreed on a 19 km expansion of the Stockholm metro network. The parties will take joint responsibility for the SKr19·5bn project.

The Blue Line is to be extended southeast to Nacka Forum and southwest to Hagsätra via Gullmarsplan — a realignment of earlier plans for a branch to Hagsätra. In the northwest the line would be extended from Akalla to Barkarby in order to provide interchange with commuter services. A new housing development in Barkarby will be built. A branch from Odenplan to Arenastaden via Hagastaden is also to be built, to serve a rapidly growing area of the city.

Work is estimated to begin in 2016, with the first extensions opening in 2020, for completion by the mid-2020s. As part of the programme, 78 000 houses are to be constructed along the new routes.

geometarkv, dj4life, Urbanus liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #590
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 31

Excellent news for two reasons:

1. Improve services in south bank
2. Avoid the present bottleneck through Gamlastan

I look very much forward to see the end of these works
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #591
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Definitely good that such a radical expansion of an already comprehensive system is occurring, however there are a few points to address (and a map to post) when I finish work.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #592
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

So, here we go. The map only shows the metro system, not the other rail systems in Stockholm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olov View Post
Alliansen has made a contribution to DN Debate and it seems to me that alternative 2 or 6 has been chosen for the extension of the blue line from Kungsträdgården to Nacka Forum. They also seem to have chosen to extend the blue line from Akalla and not Hjulsta for the extension to Barkarby station.
Also on the illustrated map is a new line from Odenplan to Arenastaden via Hagastaden.
The expansion and investment of new depots and vehicles will cost 25,7 billion SEK. The State, Stockholms County, Stockholm City, Nacka, Solna and Järfälla will stand for the cost and also commit to build 78.000 new residencies. An implement of congestion tax on Essingeleden from 2016 with a maximum level of 30kr and a rise of the inner city tax to 35kr will also contribute to the investment. Saltsjö-Mälarsjö link is excluded from the congestion tax.

Source
There is another extension I think that should definitely be included - the extension of the (now blue line) from Hagsätra branch towards Älvsjö. It is also very worthwhile in thinking that the new line should be from S:t Eriksplan rather than Odenplan. The reason for this is that from S:t Eriksplan it is much easier to extend the line southwards (to provide a cross connection from Kungsholmen to Södermalm for example) whereas if it is built from Odenplan, the line is effectively a dead stop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
Excellent news for two reasons:

1. Improve services in south bank
2. Avoid the present bottleneck through Gamlastan

I look very much forward to see the end of these works
What bottleneck are you referring to? The tunnelbana has no bottleneck at Gamla Stan, only the pendeltåg does, and that is being rectified with the construction of Citybanan, a new pendeltåg tunnel under the whole city from Karlberg, via Odenplan, to a new underground pendeltåg station under Centralstation and then continuing underground to link up at Stockholm Södra and continue on its normal route with full separation of long distance and pendeltåg trains throughout the route in the south. The northern section will be separated upon completion of the Mälarbanan from the post terminal through to Kungsängen.

Last edited by Svartmetall; November 12th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #593
dimlys1994

Grey line is not planned yellow line, isn't it?
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #594
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

I don't think they've decided on a colour yet for the line. At present it is just a spur line from Odenplan to connect to the new city district being built over the motorway and the new Karolinska Institute expansions/hospital expansions there. It will also proceed to the new Friends Arena and the Mall of Scandinavia (Scandinavia's new largest mall) that is under construction in Solna. Eventually it is envisioned to connect to Täby in the north eastern portion of the city.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #595
dimlys1994

So we just wait for color, what a waste for me. I remember that half a year ago MTR draw masterplan for Stockholm Metro by 2070 with yellow line. I know that it is proposal but that's why I am curious when I saw new metro line
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #596
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I don't think they've decided on a colour yet for the line. At present it is just a spur line from Odenplan to connect to the new city district being built over the motorway and the new Karolinska Institute expansions/hospital expansions there. It will also proceed to the new Friends Arena and the Mall of Scandinavia (Scandinavia's new largest mall) that is under construction in Solna. Eventually it is envisioned to connect to Täby in the north eastern portion of the city.
I appreciate very much the blue line-extension to Nacka and the revival of the old plan to take other Hagsätra-branch of green line, good solutions survive. The Odenplan-branch is also a very old project, dating back from the time, where it was thought that Stockholm would have only one metroline with branches. The biggest part of this old project now served by blue line, so maybe this project is the most ambitous one. If it comes to Täby, the red line extension could have a revival, too. I don´t know if this yellow line is very realistic.

Very nice to see Stockholms tunnelbana extended, since 1994 there have been no efforts. They don´t take into account to extend Hjulsta branch to Barkaby because they want to have Kista served.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #597
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
So we just wait for color, what a waste for me. I remember that half a year ago MTR draw masterplan for Stockholm Metro by 2070 with yellow line. I know that it is proposal but that's why I am curious when I saw new metro line
Here is the map you're referring to.

source

I quite like a few things about this map, but there is a lot missed out on this map too. Plus a lot of duplication of services like the tvärbanan. Not everything justifies a metro link in this map when light rail is currently doing the job of a number of these connections. The blue line extension to Nacka is just plain wrong in this map - Djurgården served by twin blue lines, but missing Sofia on Södermalm? Are you kidding?! I could go into more detail, but I'll let others express their views.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #598
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
I appreciate very much the blue line-extension to Nacka and the revival of the old plan to take other Hagsätra-branch of green line, good solutions survive. The Odenplan-branch is also a very old project, dating back from the time, where it was thought that Stockholm would have only one metroline with branches. The biggest part of this old project now served by blue line, so maybe this project is the most ambitous one. If it comes to Täby, the red line extension could have a revival, too. I don´t know if this yellow line is very realistic.

Very nice to see Stockholms tunnelbana extended, since 1994 there have been no efforts. They don´t take into account to extend Hjulsta branch to Barkaby because they want to have Kista served.

Kind regards
Indeed, instead of expansion of the metro system we've seen light rail, trams and the new Citybanan construction for the pendeltåg, but strangely the backbone of our system, the metro, has been rather neglected in terms of expansions, though not in terms of upgrades (a lot of stations are undergoing massive renovation, and new signalling systems and rolling stock are being purchased and present stock is being remodelled and renovated). That is definitely set to change now with this massive influx of investment.

You're probably right about the Akalla branch being extended to Barkarby because of Kista in particular. I wonder whether they'll consider extending the other branch to Barkarby in combination to allow greater flexibility for all, but I doubt it as the costs would not be worth it I bet.
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #599
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Indeed, instead of expansion of the metro system we've seen light rail, trams and the new Citybanan construction for the pendeltåg, but strangely the backbone of our system, the metro, has been rather neglected in terms of expansions, though not in terms of upgrades (a lot of stations are undergoing massive renovation, and new signalling systems and rolling stock are being purchased and present stock is being remodelled and renovated). That is definitely set to change now with this massive influx of investment.
This reminds me of Berlin U-Bahn. Many works are carried out at stations, tunnels and trains as there is a certain satisfaction and age of the network making this necessary. But it´s also a political issue and I guess there are also that kind of people in Stockholm, telling that tram is cheaper and does it as well as metro. Well sometimes yes, but not every time.

Quote:
You're probably right about the Akalla branch being extended to Barkarby because of Kista in particular. I wonder whether they'll consider extending the other branch to Barkarby in combination to allow greater flexibility for all, but I doubt it as the costs would not be worth it I bet.
If I recall correctly it was said,, that it is important to have a link between Kista and Barkaby, so that passengers arriving from Pendeltag in the north could easily change for blue line to Kista.

What I like about this map is the extension to Viksjö, which is the first time I see this district served. Also the extension from Skarpnäck further south has potential. But I think having to branches going to Täby is very strange if not even one came to reality today. As you know tuinnelbana should have substituted the Roslagsbanen which was not popular. Mörby centrum is built in a way that there has to be a completely new line to Täby now. I don´t know, but perhaps this is not the most important thing to do.

Also intereresting is the revival of the old plan to have red line extended to Lidingö Centrum. In 1971, when the motorway was build, they cut the branch of Lidingöbanen going there. Maybe it would be cheaper to have this branch again, but then the bridge has to double-tracked again, which means it has to be renewed.

What I like is the clear project of having trunk lines with the same amount of branches at each side. The existing network and the planned one looks elegant like that in Munich.

Kind regards

Last edited by tunnel owl; November 13th, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #600
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 31

[QUOTE=Svartmetall;108778299]Here is the map you're referring to.

source

This map represents what I call relieving the bottleneck between north and south banks.

It means having one route between T centrallen and South Bank, + Pendeltag, is replaced by 3 alternatives between North and South banks 5New Yellow + New Blue + present way) + Pendeltag which is also being doubled itself.

The network will then be with more solutions instead of a full radial system. Connection bteween Green and Tellow branches at Alsvjö is also very interesting.
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden