daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #601
Agent_007

Likes (Received): 3

It's very interesting. But the connection at Alsvjö seems to be quite strange for me. It will be not very convenient to change a train there. Wouldn't it be better to make a circle line Alsvjö - Liljeholmen - Sankt Eriksplan - Odenplan - T-Centralen - Slussen - Gullmarsplan - Alsvjö and v. v.?

And I don't understand why the metro line from Odenplan to Arenastaden via Hagastaden is planned. As far as I see, both these areas will not be densely populated in the future. Probably a tram would be a better solution.
Agent_007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #602
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Will comment more when I get home, but Hagastaden is a whole new city district built over the top of the motorway between Solna and Stockholm. It also connects a major hospital and the Karolinska Institutet. Transport to this region is already 100% saturated at peak hours with very frequent buses driving past people as they are full. Also, Arenastaden has Sweden's biggest arena and soon to be Scandinavias largest mall as well as a large business park there with major HQs in the area. The line is most definitely needed, however, the way in which the line is planned to be built is the point of contention for many here.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM   #604
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7681

Congrats on your new CAF trams - may they serve well

kyah117, dj4life liked this post
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #605
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

A few more pictures of the trains passing the bridge in central part of the city:

a sububurban railway train (pendeltåg)

image hosted on flickr

a subway train (tunnelbana)

image hosted on flickr

The one can see some of the most spectacular views of the inner Stockholm when bypassing Slussen by a train.

kyah117, Svartmetall, Arnorian liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #606
Agent_007

One of the things I'm finding about my visits to Stockholm is whenever I go there, some parts of the city rail-tram-metro system are closed due to renovation.

In 2009, the most fascinating metro stations of the Blue line (T-Centralen and Kungsträdgården) were closed due to Citybanan construction work. In 2011, there were no commuter trains between Södertälje hamn and Södertälje centrum. As far as I remember, that was due to the construction of the second track. Finally, Lidingöbanan and the parts of Saltsjöbanan and Tvärbanan were closed this summer. As far as I see, Lidingöbanan is still being reconstructed right now.

I'd like to visit Stockholm again the next summer - probably, in July. Will they finish the reconstruction of Lidingöbanan by this time?
Old December 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #607
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_007 View Post
I'd like to visit Stockholm again the next summer - probably, in July. Will they finish the reconstruction of Lidingöbanan by this time?
By summer 2014? No. It'll still be closed then. Planned opening of the renovated/rebuilt Lidingöbana is newyears 2014/2015.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Agent_007 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #608
Stadiums

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifSpangberg View Post
Allow me to show some fresh videos...

-

-

-

-

-

/Leif, Stockholm
The Stockholm subway is by far the best in the nordic countries. Good capacity through the city, beatiful stations and many underground stations. A great city worthy. Great with two alternatives through city.

The Copenhagen subway and the Heslinki subway is not very developed and dosent have have a large network of lines as in Stockholm. Both being in its early years and lacking a large network.

The Oslo subway have problems with the capacity through the city but can offer a suffient network of lines. It really needs a second alternative through city both because of capacity and giving travellers important stations in city. It is very good in the suburbs, but dosent pick up important places in the city.

dj4life, geometarkv, BringMe liked this post
Stadiums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #609
dj4life

image hosted on flickr

Stockholm - Tunnelbana - Gamla Stan by IngolfBLN, on Flickr
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #610
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101667

Remember well this station. A homeless man explained me at it that there were a lot of museums nearby, he even mentioned some current exhibitions at that time.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

forumaniac, geometarkv liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #611
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101667

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Congrats on your new CAF trams - may they serve well

It a new line?

What is the rolling stock of the line I used several days in 2012? It passes by the Vasa museum and goes right to the center, to the main square not far from T-Centralen?

Here is the picture:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/528428/

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

kyah117, forumaniac, geometarkv, BringMe liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #612
Agent_007

Yes, it's a new line but it goes from Alvik to Solna centrum in the suburbs. It is not the one from Sergels torg to Djurgården.
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #613
Swede
forumer #29

Yeah, the new CAF trams are now only running on the new extension of Tvärbanan from Alvik to Solna Centrum. Only the extension, not the rest of the line. It'll run on the rest of the line from some time next year when the rest of the line is upgraded to the new signalling system (which is currently undergoing live testing on the new bit).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #614
Agent_007

Well, I've got 2 questions about the Stockholm metro.

1. Who is the woman that makes announcements in the trains? I mean the announcements like that: "Nästa T-Centralen. Byte till tunnelbana mot Hässelby strand, Kungsträdgården, Akalla och Hjulsta, samt till pendeltåg". Is this woman a famous person in Sweden? As far as I know, such announcements are made by well-known actors in some countries.

2. The metro map says that line T18 goes from Farsta strand to Alvik. However, the route planner and my experience say that the trains go to Vällingby. So are there any trains that go to Alvik only? And why is the map so inaccurate?

Last edited by Agent_007; December 17th, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #615
Swede
forumer #29

She's not famous. Iirc I've heard her do a couple of radio interviews about being the announcement voice, but apart from that? not famous. I haven't got a clue what her name is.

It seems to vary. But yes, there are trains that only go to Alvik. Not so much during the rush hour though. But the service pattern on the Green line seems to be very complex and they don't really bother to explain it all to us commuters. Since there's only one line to the west it works anyway.
E.g.
This morning as I was heading into the city the display showed the next three trains:
19 Vällingby
19 Vällingby
19 Hässelby Strand
So they keep the number the same since they're trains from the Hagsätra branch (some might start at Högdalen tho) but the end stations don't match. I guess they figure that the main information that us riders need is what branch it is going to (or from) and what station on that branch it'll terminate at. Having a separate number for every combination would use up quite a few numbers and confuse things far more (for most people) than it'd help.

Agent_007 liked this post

Last edited by Swede; December 18th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM   #616
dj4life

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pris63/11472588204/
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM   #617
Agent_007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
This morning as I was heading into the city the display showed the next three trains:
19 Vällingby
19 Vällingby
19 Hässelby Strand
So they keep the number the same since they're trains from the Hagsätra branch (some might start at Högdalen tho) but the end stations don't match. I guess they figure that the main information that us riders need is what branch it is going to (or from) and what station on that branch it'll terminate at. Having a separate number for every combination would use up quite a few numbers and confuse things far more (for most people) than it'd help.
Thank you very much for the answer! I got it. I've just checked the route planner. It seems that there are direct trains that go to Hässelby strand from any of the three branches - at least, at rush hour. The route numbers depend on the branch but not on the terminus to the west.

Swede liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:07 PM   #618
dj4life

The bypass between connecting the platforms of the Central railway station and subway. Also, a continous underground shopping gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3813861...-54G9GS-54G9PY
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #619
Swede
forumer #29

That's not the passage connecting the Central Station to T-Centralen, that's the underground space outside the turnstiles of T-Centralen by Sergels Torg! That's where Åhléns is

Svartmetall liked this post
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #620
dj4life

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9759204...n/photostream/

kyah117 liked this post

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden