daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #641
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Will be nice to be able to take the Lidingöbanan again. It goes to a very nice area of the city. One can get very nice views to the archipelago from the end station.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #642
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Here's an photo-update of how the line was a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.sparvagssallskapet.se/fo...p?f=17&t=37256

I'm glad the new vehicles are starting final testing. However, given the track-record of the A35s (not good - still not working right) and of the signaling system (seems to be the second worst fail of all systems bought by SL ever - only the access card saga was worse) on the Solna branch I ain't holding my breath and hope there are enough buses to keep those replacement lines running.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Svartmetall liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #643
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

I very much hope this will be a success. Is the signalling system that bad? Who designed it? AB?
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #644
Swede
forumer #29

Interesting link about the Tvärbanan closure this summer:
http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandring...rbanan-sommar/
The section Alvik-Gröndal will run for most of the time the rest is closed down (june 22nd to august 17th). This is the sectino providing the most critical connection since it can't be replaced by buses.
I like that they included this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl.se
Därför stänger vi av
Vi förlänger Tvärbanan från Solna centrum till Solna station.
I Alvik bygger vi om för att det ska bli ett smidigare byte mellan Tvärbanans två grenar.
Under några veckoslut pågår arbeten på Gustavslundsvägen.
Underhållsarbeten på utmed hela Tvärbanan
När allt är klart kommer vi att kunna köra i 10-minuterstrafik på alla sträckor.
Note how 10minute headways are not as good as what is already in place on the main section, it is only the Solna branch which will get more trains (I assume the older bits keep their current headways).
Also note how they've officially given up on connecting the Solna branch to the older bit for this year. Unsurprising, but last time I asked SL on facebook about a month or so ago they were still saying it turn into a single line this year. Plans were once that they'd have it all up and running in 2013, single-seat ride from Sickla Udde to Solna Station! I wouldn't be surprised if they had to give up on the signaling system from GE they're still testing.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #645
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I very much hope this will be a success. Is the signalling system that bad? Who designed it? AB?
GE designed it. iirc it's a different supplier on Lidingöbanan from Tvärbanan Solna though, so it might work right out the box

More griping about Solnagrenen here and about Lidingöbanan here

Old June 7th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #646
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Just a great pic with a commuter train. The commuter train (pendeltåg) to Nynäshamn leaving the Tungelsta station (Stockholm County), while another one is leaving for Stockholm:

Commuter trains par Steffe, sur Flickr

_Night City Dream_, Swede liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #647
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Strukton wins Stockholm area maintenance contract
Friday, June 06, 2014

SWEDISH transport administration Trafikverket has awarded Strukton a five-year contract worth SKr 367m ($US 55.8m) to provide maintenance services on 310 track-km in southern Stockholm

Specifically the contract encompasses the 55km Nynäs Line between Älvsjo and Nynäshamn, which includes a 22km double-track section from Älvsjo to Västerhaninge, and the Västra main line between Älvsjö and Gnesta, which is double-track with some four-track sections and forms part of the primary route between Stockholm and Gothenburg.

Strukton will be responsible for railway engineering services and maintenance of power supplies, catenary, and signalling on the routes and will commence work on October 1. The contract includes an option for two one-year extensions.

"We are looking forward to assuming responsibility for these track sections," says Ms Ann-Sofie Lindström, Strukton Rail's regional director. "They will become a natural geographical continuation of the railway maintenance we are doing in central Stockholm."
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #648
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101705

Who is the manufacturer of the train?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #649
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The pendeltåg? Alstom.

It's model is called the "Coradia Lirex". They're made specifically for the conditions we have up here.

They're used around Sweden with different designations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL_X60
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #650
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 184

wrong thread
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #651
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The pendeltåg? Alstom.

It's model is called the "Coradia Lirex". They're made specifically for the conditions we have up here.

They're used around Sweden with different designations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL_X60
Thanks for the info. I know these trains I used to use them in 2012 when I was living in Upplands Vasbu for a week. I thought they were Stadler trains, but I was wrong.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #652
dimlys1994

Latest on light rail - Tvärbanan light rail extension to Solna station will open on 18 August

dj4life liked this post
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #653
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Latest on light rail - Tvärbanan light rail extension to Solna station will open on 18 August
Yes, however it will still NOT be a one seat ride all the way from Sickla Udde to Solna. You'll still have to switch trains at Alvik due to the on-going implosion that is the GE signalling system. Also, last I heard the new A35 trams are currently not running due to faulty brakes. From huge cost to delays in construction to Solna Station to poorly placed station at Solna Station to never-ending problems with both the new trams and the new signalling system... The project is not doing well.

That said, at least now the changing of trains at Alvik will be made easier to to changing where the trams stop a bit.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #654
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Yes, however it will still NOT be a one seat ride all the way from Sickla Udde to Solna.
What a waste And what about Sickla station extension and other tram extensions in Stockholm?
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #655
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

What a mess this Tvärbanan extension has been. I hope the problems get sorted soon as I really liked the Tvärbanan when I arrived here - it has to be one of my favourite methods of transport in the south of the city.
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #656
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

On a lighter note - here is a video of probably the most beautiful stretch of Tunnelbana between Gamla Stan and Slussen. Again, apologies for the quality, but you can at least watch it in HD!

Old June 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #657
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
What a waste And what about Sickla station extension and other tram extensions in Stockholm?
Hopefully the GE signalling system will be working by next year, and the A35 trams as well and they will hopefully play nice with eachother too.
If that all happens, next summer will likely see the Alvik-Sickla section shut down so they can install the new signalling system.
When that is completed there will be single-seat service from Solna Station to Sickla Udde. Having that has always been, and still is, the plan.

The Sickla extension (of Tvärbanan) is going full speed ahead and is now in early site-prepp afaik.
The Kista extension/branch (which actually goes to Helenelund which will be 2 stops past Kista Centrum and create an interchange with the commuter train lines) is getting closer and closer to construction, though there are still a few parts of the plan that are unclear.

The Lidingöbana upgrade is, from what I've been able to gather, going better than the Tvärbanan extension. It will use a different signalling system(!), and at least some seem more confident in it than in the GE system.
Connecting Lidingöbanan to Djurgårdslinjen (the inner city tram line #7) is still the plan, but the planning and funding seems to take a long time yet - especially if the anti-tram leftist block wins the elections this fall (I still don't get why they don't like trams, IMO trams should be something they push for hard).
Extending the 7 to T-Centralen is already in some level of sneaky construction. Big renovation of the streets between the stops at the moment and some sections of pre-fab trackbeds have been spotted in the completed parts.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #658
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

New video of the renovations at Hötorget station. The Kungsgatan exit has almost been completely revamped now.

Old June 8th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #659
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Bonus video of Odenplan too. Odenplan is under construction as part of Citybanan. It's good to see these older inner city stations getting some care and attention as they need it.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #660
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Extending the 7 to T-Centralen is already in some level of sneaky construction. Big renovation of the streets between the stops at the moment and some sections of pre-fab trackbeds have been spotted in the completed parts.
Link to thread on another forum with a pic of that:
https://www.sparvagssallskapet.se/fo...p?f=17&t=37163

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden