daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #761
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2564

yes?
http://static.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/w...r-platform.jpg
http://www.bombardier.com/content/da...b.750.750.jpeg
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #762
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

I knew the Tube trains would come up.
I stand by my comment. I said "tend", not "always".
Give the Tube train a normal square-ish shape and it is pretty similar. That other one... replace the front and it is pretty similar.

I find NYC subway cars to be better examples of how not all look alike these days since those mostly just look like older NYC subway cars.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #763
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Petr, let's not forget that the picture I posted before is just a concept of the design (which was published in Wikipedia). The actual design may be different and it will be presented next year.

Swede liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #764
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Give the Tube train a normal square-ish shape and it is pretty similar. That other one... replace the front and it is pretty similar.

I find NYC subway cars to be better examples of how not all look alike these days since those mostly just look like older NYC subway cars.
I find that especially because of ergonomical and efficiency purposes the interior designs all look pretty much the same with new trains.
Customizing small aspects like the small tube fitted airco systems under the seats really makes trains stand out from another.

The only aspect that makes Amsterdam's new M5 trainsets from Alstom stand out is its interior and doorheight.

Looking at the seats, tubes to hang on to, camera system & monitor placement makes it quite easy to recognise it as A 'Metropolis family' metro.

Swede liked this post

Last edited by Dooie_Amsterdammert; November 4th, 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: small spellingerror corrected.
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #765
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Quote:

It's pretty obvious, that fronts are a key possible difference when it comes to the contemporary metro trains. I meant front, when I had written about similarity of the Warsaw new trains and the Stockholm proposal.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #766
Swede
forumer #29

ah. Ok. Now I get your point
Yes, the fronts do look kinda similar. Compared to the other two they look very similar to eachother. Look a bit more closely though and the differences are pretty big. Which, in a way, is interesting. Given how many of the details differ (e.g. driver cabin side windows) we both still see them as being similar, why is that?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #767
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Thusfar one of the special designed metrotrains that I liked is the recently unveiled train for Tfl.
Sure there are other special subway sets around, none of them -in terms of modern design- come close according to me.

Though this has little to do with Stockholm transport.

Swede liked this post
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #768
Swede
forumer #29

One thing that relates to it is that the new Tube train is designed to work with platform screen doors. This is also the case with the new C30 trains for Stockholm. SL is going to start testing PSD systems at Åkeshov iirc. Not sure about the station, but I am 100% sure they've got PSD testing in the works since I saw a container at a station with text on the side stating that they are going to do that at that station (which was iirc Åkeshov).

I guesstimate that they will only install 'em along the Red line and only when that line runs only C30 cars since C30 and C20 will have different spacing of doors. we might see it on select Green line stations too since that line runs only C20 cars. T-centralen, Slussen, Gullmarsplan maybe?

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #769
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Interesting news about PSD in Stockholm T-bana. I think it's always a good idea to have PSD.
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #770
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

I think it's essential at T-Centralen. The number of people that pass through that station actually equals some of the busiest in the world at over 300,000 per day.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #771
Swede
forumer #29

Is that people passing the fare gates, people changing trains or everyone even on the trains? I know it's not the last one, but can't remember the exact way SL counts.

Yeah, T-centralen really needs PSDs. Slussen and Gullmarsplan would be my prio 2 & 3.

dj4life liked this post
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #772
EaglesnButterflies

Likes (Received): 1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Petr, let's not forget that the picture I posted before is just a concept of the design (which was published in Wikipedia). The actual design may be different and it will be presented next year.
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this but can't they just buy off the shelf? Why design something new when buying tried and tested products is more cost effective and often more reliable as well since you now the shit will work as intended.
EaglesnButterflies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #773
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesnButterflies View Post
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this but can't they just buy off the shelf? Why design something new when buying tried and tested products is more cost effective and often more reliable as well since you now the shit will work as intended.
The "shit" will only work as intended if subsystems are 100% compatible, if it's not you will still run into issues.

The complete renovation of electrical, firepreventive measurements, interlocking, implementing ato2+, passenger information & compatibilityissues still makes for A glitchy experience on Amsterdam subway.

The reasons why a lot of big regions with large amounts of trains & lines have different solutions for different lines makes it simple to understand why some trains will not run on other lines.. (not including obvious issues like length, height or type of powersupply)
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #774
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

October progress on Citybanan near Älvsjö station:

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 0182 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 0762 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 1242 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 1772 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 2152 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 3672 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Citybanan söder Årsta 101421 3702 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

dj4life liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #775
Swede
forumer #29

Actually it's not near Älvsjö, rather it is right by Årstaberg. The station the last pic is taken from is Årstaberg.

Not sure if it's been reported here but I haven't seen anything about it the the media:
The Årstaberg commuter rail station is getting a slightly bigger entrance which is being worked on right now.

dimlys1994, dj4life liked this post
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #776
dimlys1994

Quote:
Actually it's not near Älvsjö, rather it is right by Årstaberg. The station the last pic is taken from is Årstaberg.

Not sure if it's been reported here but I haven't seen anything about it the the media:
The Årstaberg commuter rail station is getting a slightly bigger entrance which is being worked on right now.
Thank you, Swede
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #777
dj4life

SL and Keolis will test the newest model of Volvo Electric Hybrid (whis was presented during the Peronal Transport Fairs event in Stockholm this year and previously was tested in Gothenburg) starting from December this year. Eight new buses will be operated in the bus line connecting Ropsten and Tomteboda/Karolinska during the next 2 years. This is a project innitiated by SL, Volvo Bussar and Vattenfall.

Source

Source

More information: http://www.sll.se/verksamhet/kollekt...10/Laddhybrid/ (in Swedish).

Dooie_Amsterdammert, AdnanPD liked this post
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #778
dimlys1994

Inside of future Odenplan station of new City Line:

5925-1423174 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

dj4life liked this post
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #779
dj4life

Impressive!
Old November 12th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #780
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Some videos from a bit ago.

Walk through of Stockholm Södra Station.

Big walk from the pendeltåg platforms to Sergels Torg via the tunnelbana.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden