daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #781
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Some pictures of trams:

Bombardier Flexity Classic, Sergels torg - Waldemarsudde

Sergels Trg 290914 SL A34 2 by warthunga, on Flickr

Waldemarsudde 290914 SL A34 1 / 5 by warthunga, on Flickr

CAF A35, Alvik - Solna Centrum

Solna Business Park 290914 SL A35 452 by warthunga, on Flickr

Sundbyberg 290914 SL A35 451 by warthunga, on Flickr

Sundbyberg 290914 SL A35 452 - 455 by warthunga, on Flickr

Sundbyberg 290914 SL A35 455 by warthunga, on Flickr

Solna Centrum 290914 SL A35 452 by warthunga, on Flickr

Bombardier Flexity Swift, Sickla udde - Alvik

Hammarby sjöstad district:

Sickla Udde SL S A32 402-407 by warthunga, on Flickr

Mårtensdal SL A32 401-406 by warthunga, on Flickr

Mårtensdal SL A32 404 A32 406 by warthunga, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:10 AM   #782
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8801

Okay, so here we go guys. The new barriers being tested at Åkeshov.

First up, the Korean rope barriers.

The Parisian-style barriers (in fact exactly the same as in use in Paris).

The Shanghai-style barriers as used on the Shanghai metro. Built by a Chinese company.

So there you go. Verdict?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:23 AM   #783
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Video at Åkeshov since I was there looking at the barriers.

While I was out, I also had to go to work. So here are a couple of videos...

Firstly, at Sankt Eriksplan metro station and then out to the bus stop.

Bus ride from Sankt Eriksplan to Karolinska.

Old November 24th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #784
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

About the Stockholm Metro: I hate to question how they do it, but is there any particular reason how the bedrock is left exposed, crude, and unfinished, like, would it be cheaper that way? Also, excellent idea to actually decorate all of that exposed rock. It is what makes Stockholm's metro system unique.

It should be noted that a few of Rio de Janeiro's metro stations, like Ipanema/General Osorio, have some of their rock exposed and crude, also.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; November 24th, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #785
DCUrbanist

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
About the Stockholm Metro: I hate to question how they do it, but is there any particular reason how the bedrock is left exposed, crude, and unfinished, like, would it be cheaper that way?
The exposed bedrock was an active design choice and less about finances. The stations adhere to many of the ideals of organic architecture, meaning they are intended to express the interplay between the natural world and the built environment. In stations like Rådhuset, for example, this relationship is very clear through references to Neoclassical and aboriginal civilization, with the bases of columns poking out underneath the very richly colored bedrock.

The stations stand in juxtaposition to the clean, sleek, and occasionally sterile designs we see elsewhere; they ultimately remind us of civilization's bearings within nature and that our developments in society cannot occur at the expense of our world. In my opinion it's an incredibly nuanced and beautiful statement.

dj4life liked this post
DCUrbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #786
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Also, there is very little bedrock exposed in the Stockholm subway. Almost all of it is covered by concrete. That's why it isn't all jagged and rock-looking.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #787
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

It's funny... I really like the rock stations to visit, but not use every day. They're deep, damp and dark. Though not as inspiring, stations like Östermalmstorget (at platform level) are actually nicer to use on a daily basis. I'd rather have a functional, but bright station than a gloomy and arty one.
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #788
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's funny... I really like the rock stations to visit, but not use every day. They're deep, damp and dark. Though not as inspiring, stations like Östermalmstorget (at platform level) are actually nicer to use on a daily basis. I'd rather have a functional, but bright station than a gloomy and arty one.
I grew up on the blue line and saw those stations all the time. The way the Green line stations are so close to the street felt a bit strange. But now that I've lived on the green line for over 3 years it feels just as at home and, like you point out, clearly more convenient. All I miss is escalators and lifts all the way from street to platform, but that's due to the age of the stations not the proximity to the street or the tiled vs cave station designs.
I agree that the cave stations are, while often having an artistic surface treatment (some are still dark and boring tho), are all-in-all not as good as the more clean-cut older ones. IMO the two are however easily combined when designing new stations.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Svartmetall liked this post
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #789
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I grew up on the blue line and saw those stations all the time. The way the Green line stations are so close to the street felt a bit strange. But now that I've lived on the green line for over 3 years it feels just as at home and, like you point out, clearly more convenient. All I miss is escalators and lifts all the way from street to platform, but that's due to the age of the stations not the proximity to the street or the tiled vs cave station designs.
I agree that the cave stations are, while often having an artistic surface treatment (some are still dark and boring tho), are all-in-all not as good as the more clean-cut older ones. IMO the two are however easily combined when designing new stations.
I agree - it's possible to pay homage to the cave stations, but make them more bright and welcoming, plus control water seepage to the same level as they have in the other stations. Most stations in Stockholm have some form of art (like Östermalmstorget mentioned previously), so I think here does definitely have a good template for making stations both interesting and functional.

Also, you're right - I never thought about it before, but nearly all blue line stations have elevators / escalators right the way down to the platform from the street level, as the barriers are directly at the entrance! How unobservant of me!
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #790
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Some more recent views of public transport in Stockholm.

First up, two bus videos from the number 40 bus (with a very considerate and nice bus driver).

First section is from Ekhagen (very narrow and hilly) to Universitetet (metro transfer).

Next section is from Universitetet to Odenplan. We drive past Norra Länken here too. The road tunnel is due to be opened on the 30th of this month.

Next video is of the bridge between Skanstull and Gullmarsplan. This bridge is actually very high. Also features a change between the green line of the metro to the Tvärbanan (light rail).

Light rail (Tvärbanan) arriving at Gullmarsplan.

Finally, a longer video with the Light rail at Liljeholmen with a transfer to the red line on the metro (tunnelbana). The video also showcases the underground bus terminal at Liljeholmen.

Old December 1st, 2014, 06:23 PM   #791
dj4life

The overground part of the Odenplan station (Citybanan):

Kvällspromenad by anderswetterstam, on Flickr

Kvllspromenad by anderswetterstam, on Flickr

dimlys1994, geometarkv, kyah117 liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:59 PM   #792
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

More photos on Citybanan, all pics are around Stockholm Sodra:

Fatbursg 141008 0712 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Fatbursg 141008 3112 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Tunnelns fortsättning under Fatbursg mot Stockholms södra 141008 3292 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Täppan 141008 1482 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Täppan 141008 1762 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Täppan 141008 2332 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Täppan 141008 3662 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Mariagårdstäppan, gjutning av bottenplatta 141008 3742 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

geometarkv, Swede, dj4life, Kot Behemot liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:04 PM   #793
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

You would be amazed at how hard it is to see this unless you go looking for it. It's all fenced off and quite inaccessible. It sure is an impressive project.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:05 PM   #794
Swede
forumer #29

yeah, and that whole site will be covered over and made into a park afterwards. Connecting two parks (one of 'em small) that have been separated by the rail lines for a long long time. More commuter train to the station next door and a bigger, better park that more people will use even to just get from A to B across it... Citybanan is disruptive during construction there, but afterwards it'll mean a big improvement for the place (even if not counting the added trains).

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, dj4life liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #795
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Plus, have you seen how far Odenplan has advanced lately? The big hole for Citybanan is actually filled now.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #796
Swede
forumer #29

I had not seen that. Haven't been on the surface there in months, only passed by on the subway. Re-opening that square will make it really feel like it'll all be done soon.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM   #797
JurassicWorld
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

JurassicWorld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #798
dj4life

Some pictures of metro stations:

Tony BHCC 025 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 026 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 025 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 022 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 019 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 012 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

Tony BHCC 011 by Toe_Knee_K, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Arnorian, Nexis, geometarkv liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #799
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

Whatever people say about Stockholms' tunnelbana, the very nice combination of concrete/cement, natural stone, art, pavement & electronic equipement is very nicespectacular to look at.

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by Dooie_Amsterdammert; January 5th, 2015 at 03:12 AM.
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #800
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

More on Citybanan progress:

Årsta sammanfognings-gjutning Citybanan söder 141211 0073 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

Årsta sammanfognings-gjutning Citybanan söder 141211 0143 by Trafikverket Citybanan, on Flickr

dj4life liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden