daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #861
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

How do you feel LRT has been accepted in Stockholm? Do you view them as a cheap substitute for MRT? I feel they have no place outside closed parks such as airports or Disneyland.

Also, do you think ferries have a future?
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #862
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

The Tvärbanan has been a resounding success in Stockholm, so much so that it has been granted another expansion to the network with construction to commence soon hopefully. It would have cost a small fortune to construct a new tunnelbana line as a ring line across bridges, islands and what not in the way that the Tvärbanan does. It would also be very difficult to justify the capacity of a metro line vs. a light rail line in such a small city too for this purpose. The Tvärbanan actually runs very quickly on the segregated sections of the network too, so it's not as if the tunnelbana would be faster either.

No, I think all modes have their place, and light rail definitely has its place. Heck, even Tokyo still has some light rail lines running, and they're successful and well-used.

As for the ferries, they're incredibly popular, and they're faster than other forms of transport from certain parts of the city. Since I have been in Stockholm (since 2011) a new ferry terminal has been constructed in the centre near Kungsträdgården, so yes, they're definitely still being used and they definitely have a future. Look at Brisbane, Auckland and Sydney - three other cities with ferry networks that are popular and well-liked by locals.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #863
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Does anybody knows what kind of works is happening north of Norsborg T-bana station? This video was taken by SL on 7th May:

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #864
dimlys1994

In other news - from Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=531

Stockholm Tomteboda rehab contract awarded
Wednesday, May 13, 2015

SWEDISH infrastructure manager Trafikverket has selected Strukton Rail to modernise and remodel Tomteboda station, just north of Stockholm main station

The primary objective of the project is to create a link between Stockholm's existing heavy rail network from the main line through the city centre to the new 6km City Line, which is due to open in 2017, with Strukton also responsible for construction including a new tunnel between Stockholm South and Tomteboda

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #865
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Does anybody knows what kind of works is happening north of Norsborg T-bana station? This video was taken by SL on 7th May
Yes. As the video says, it's the new T-bana depot under construction in Norsborg. This will be the depot for red line trains.

http://www.sll.se/norsborg/

Old May 15th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #866
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
In other news - from Rail Journal:
I'd say this article is more relevant to the Sweden Rail thread since it won't really affect the local commuter services and will mostly include changing and modernizing the tracks at the old Tomteboda freight/mail yards.
Would be very interesting to see what they're planning to do in more detail tho. How are they changing the track layout?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dimlys1994 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #867
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The Tvärbanan has been a resounding success in Stockholm, so much so that it has been granted another expansion to the network with construction to commence soon hopefully. It would have cost a small fortune to construct a new tunnelbana line as a ring line across bridges, islands and what not in the way that the Tvärbanan does. It would also be very difficult to justify the capacity of a metro line vs. a light rail line in such a small city too for this purpose. The Tvärbanan actually runs very quickly on the segregated sections of the network too, so it's not as if the tunnelbana would be faster either.

No, I think all modes have their place, and light rail definitely has its place. Heck, even Tokyo still has some light rail lines running, and they're successful and well-used.

As for the ferries, they're incredibly popular, and they're faster than other forms of transport from certain parts of the city. Since I have been in Stockholm (since 2011) a new ferry terminal has been constructed in the centre near Kungsträdgården, so yes, they're definitely still being used and they definitely have a future. Look at Brisbane, Auckland and Sydney - three other cities with ferry networks that are popular and well-liked by locals.
Looking into Tvarbanan further it actually comes across as a trams, which in my books is 'lrt' but I've gotten used to the term being used to refer to a cheaper MRT.

By POV is that LRT is being used here as a sbahn would be too expensive, I would push for a line similar to Tokyo's Yamanote or Moscow's ringrails, but accept that such lines are expensive to construct. I do however ridicule cities such as London or countries such as Norway, who really should be able to pull money together to invest in expensive commuter lines. (Spare capacity on such lines can also help to spread out urban growth).

I'm glad to hear Stockholm has a well liked ferry network. I really like ferries as a mode of metro transport, and it also helps that the vast majority of piers are at ground level, able to beat traffic jams, and are generally accompanied by small ports. I very much hope more money gets poured into r&d to research river transportation.
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #868
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Stockholm transit boss fined for shoplifting in Hong Kong
12 May 2015
Excerpt

STOCKHOLM (AP) — The chief executive of Stockholm's public transit company has been caught shoplifting at Hong Kong's international airport.

Swedish public radio says Anders Lindstrom on Tuesday was fined the equivalent of 5,000 Swedish kronor (about $600) by a Hong Kong court after leaving an airport shop last week with a credit card holder that he hadn't paid for.

Stockholm city transit spokeswoman Lovisa Abom confirmed that Lindstrom had been convicted but couldn't give details of the ruling.

She said Lindstrom, who was in Hong Kong to meet officials for Stockholm subway operator MTR, has been suspended from his job.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-kong-30979371

This is quite pathetic. No wonder we cannot get things working in SL with people like this in charge.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #869
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Stockholm transport boss resigns over theft

Published: 26 May 2015 16:06 GMT+02:00

The head of Stockholm's public transport group, SL, has stepped down a fortnight after he was fined by a Hong Kong court for stealing an expensive designer credit card holder in an airport store.

Anders Lindström, who is the chief executive of Stockholm's public transport group SL, was fined HK$5,000 (5,445 SEK, $644.93) in Tsuen Wan Court on May 12th after he admitted taking a credit card holder from a store at Chek Lap Kok airport in Hong Kong.

Lindström, 60, who was temporarily suspended from his post following the incident, told Swedish media he had gone into the shop to buy a present for his wife, but forgot to pay for the wallet on his way out.

“I am accepting the consequences and paying my fines. It's not like I am urging people to steal,” he told Swedish Radio at the time.

Over the past two weeks transport chief has already been suspended from a number of other positions, including his post as director of Stockholm county council's transportation administration.

On Tuesday morning he was also removed as chairman of a long list of SL subsidiaries, including SL Infrateknik AB, SL Finans AB and Älvsjö AB.

“When these things happen I think it is reasonable that there be consequences, and I can only state that in this case there have been consequences,” Stockholm county councillor Kristoffer Tamsons, of the centre-right Moderate party, told Swedish newswire TT on Tuesday.

Lindström will continue to receive his salary during his six-month notice period.

Read more here.

Fantastic. So this guy gets 6 months worth of salary, but SL put our ticket prices up by 100kr a month. Yey.
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #870
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Just a few more pictures of the ongoing Citybanan project:

Source

Source
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #871
dj4life

Picknick boat debute in Stockholm.

A Fleet of Stylish Rental Boats Arrives in Stockholm

Quote:
After a successful debut on the canals of Copenhagen last summer, the rent-a-boat start-up GoBoat is now launching a fleet of its sleek solar-powered vessels on Stockholm’s waterways.
The boats, available daily, offer both locals and tourists the opportunity to navigate the Swedish capital’s port area, albeit at minimal speed. Made from recycled plastic and eco-friendly Kebony wood, the launches have silent electric engines that are charged at two conveniently accessible rental terminals—also beautifully fashioned from Kebony timber.

dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #872
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Some more videos from around Stockholm.

First off is a video of the long escalator to platform level at Universitetet station. This station is located on the red line and is rather deep. It features the "rockcrete" - concrete covering bare rock design that Stockholm has at a number of stations.

A tour of T-Centralen. T-centralen is the main station of the tunnelbana network with all three line groups going through it (red, green and blue). It is arranged to allow cross-platform interchanges for the red and green lines (in opposite directions). The blue line is a bit further away, and this video shows the walk from the green/red section of the station to the blue.

Stadshagen is one of the stations on the blue line. This serves the north-western section of Kungsholmen, and is thus still an "inner city" station. It features the blasted rockcrete that is so distinctive of the Stockholm tunnelbana.

Thorildsplan is one of the most interesting stations (in my opinion) on the green line. It features a lot of "8-bit" artwork. If you want to skip the walk to the station, just go to the 3:00 mark and watch from there. I think you'll like the artwork though, which features a zooming PacMan!

Odenplan station is currently under construction. It is part of the "citybanan" project to tunnel the pendeltåg (commuter rail) under the city centre, hence the construction. The eastern side of the station has been reconstructed at the Odenplan plaza. You can see that the plaza is now nearly finished after having been a large hole in the centre of the city for a long time.

Old June 7th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #873
dj4life

Svartmetall
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #874
dj4life

The variety of tram/light-rail systems in Stockholm:

Spårvagn City (Bombardier Flexity Classic) (the system will be extended)

Tvärbanan/Nockebybanan (Bombardier Flexity Swift) (the system will be extended)

Tvärbanan (CAF A35)

Narrow gauge suburban railway Roslagsbanan (expansion and modernisation phase)

A 100+ year old narrow gauge suburban railway system Saltsjöbanan (a long-lasting modernisation process of this system will start in July this year)

The extention process of the subway (tunnelbana) system should start next year.

Last edited by dj4life; June 7th, 2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #875
dimlys1994

More on Citybanan, tracks are laying:

Spårläggning i Citybanans tunnel under Söderström, maj 2015 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

LR 20150508 0091 in mot sänktunneln by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

LR 150529 0451 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

LR 150529 0401 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

LR 150529 0121 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

LR 150529 0061 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #876
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A few more videos from my tours around Stockholm.

First up - the Roslagsbanan at Universitetet station. The Roslagsbanan is a rare railway as it runs on 891mm gauge tracks - very narrow indeed. It was also one of the first electrified railways in Europe and has a long history. It is now in the process of modernisation, and in fact many sections of it will be closed over the summer for rebuilding (unfortunately for me) so you'll not see videos of it for quite a while!

Mörby Centrum is at the northern extremity of the red line between Mörby and Fruängen in the south of Stockholm. Here we see a Cx class train that has been renovated in certain carriages (the one I am sitting in) and not renovated in others (the one I walk into later in the video). These trains are due to be replaced in the future by the new C30 rolling stock.

Here is a short tour of Mörby Centrum station itself.

Rådmansgatan is a station in the centre of Stockholm served by all three green line branches. It gives access to Observatorielunden (a large hill in the centre of the city), a private business school and the Stockholm city library.

Hötorget is one of the busiest stations on the green line. It serves the main shopping district of the city at Sergelsgången (the exit I take in the video) as well as the main market (Haymarket) as well as the concert house and Drottninggatan (a pedestrianised shopping street) as well as Kungsgätan, a major shopping street linking the centre of the city to the upmarket Östermalm.

A large walkthrough of Kungsträdgården metro station. This station is the current terminus for the blue lines. It features the most elaborate of all artwork on the metro network and so is quite a sight to behold. It is incredibly deep and actually not used by that many people comparatively due to its depth and slightly inconvenient location. Hopefully when the blue line is extended south it will be used more. It is an excellent place to stop for tourists, though!

Watching the departure of a blue line train at T-Centralen. The blue line platforms at T-Centralen are very deep and located away from the red and green platforms. Previously (shown above in the thread) I took a video of the walk between the red/green and blue line platforms, but here I just show a train departing and the view at platform level.

Final video for the day - a view of Stockholm Centralstation. This is an incredibly busy station as it is the only long distance railway station of note in Stockholm (the others that I can think of right now are Stockholms Södra, Flemmingsberg, Upplands Väsby and Märsta). It is also the hub for the pendeltåg (commuter rail) and all of the metro lines (the only place that all three line groups meet).

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #877
dj4life

Maybe not the most latest news, but Alstom will deliver new commuter trains in 2017.

Alstom is building new commuter trains for SL - traffic starts in 2017

Quote:
In 2012 Alstom was awarded a contract to supply new commuter trains to SL. The first one, of a total of 46 new X60B-vehicles, will be in service in 2017 in connection with the opening of Citybanan. However, before passengers can ride with the new commuter trains extensive testing is required and recently the first vehicles rolled in on Swedish tracks.
With the exception of improved technological features, the design of new trains may not differ a lot from Alstom X60 trains that are in service nowadays:

Source

Last edited by dj4life; June 18th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #878
dj4life

New regional trains will be introduced in 2018.

Source

Quote:
Leasing company AB Transitio announced on June 17 that it has ordered a build of 33 Kiss double-deck EMUs from Stadler at a cost of SKr3·5bn to operate regional services around Stockholm from 2018.
The order has been placed by Transitio on behalf of the MÄLAB joint venture bringing together the local transport authorities in the Stockholm, Sörmland, Örebro and Västmanland regions. These regions are responsible for procuring Mälartåg services on four corridors in and around the capital, which are to be expanded and retendered following the opening of the Citybanan cross-city tunnel in 2017.
The four-car units will be 105 m long and designed for a maximum speed of 200 km/h; they will be able to operate in multiple up to a maximum of four sets.
The Kisses will operate on the Svealandsbanan route linking Örebro, Eskilstuna, Stockholm and Uppsala, the Sörmlandspilen service from Stockholm to Katrineholm and Hallsberg, the Nyköpingsbanan from Stockholm to Norrköping and Nyköping, and the Uven cross-country service connecting Sala and Linköping via Västerås, Eskilstuna and Katrineholm.
Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...stockholm.html.

Last edited by dj4life; June 19th, 2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #879
dj4life

New trams CAF A36 (a modified version of CAF A35 trams which are already in service of a new light-railway (tvärbanan) line) will be presented at the end of this year. These trams will serve a light-railway line between Ropsten and Gåshaga in Lidingö island.

CAF A36 waiting for a debut in AGA depot.

Source

Tramwayman, dimlys1994, metr0p0litain liked this post
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #880
dj4life

One more picture of CAF A36 (designed for Lidingöbanan):

Source

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden