daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #81
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Ticketing in Stockholm

Stockholm has an RFiD card named "SL Access". This card can be used both as a stored value card or a travelpass card. You can also buy personalised designs for your Access card if you wish.

There are three zones to Stockholm - Zones A, B and C - each with travel passes and fare systems to suit them. Zone C covers the entire Stockholm County (län). Casual users of the system are penalised with higher fares relative to pass holders and effectively subsidise the lower cost of the long-term passes. This is done to encourage more frequent PT use.

Here is a comprehensive list of the products available (with prices in USD). Reduced prices are available for people under 20 and over 65, students, beneficiaries, pensioners and the disabled.

Single Trips
1 zone - Adult $4.70, Reduced price $2.35
2 zones - Adult $7.10, Reduced price $3.35
3 zones - Adult $9.50, Reduced price $4.75
16 ride strip card - Adult $28.53, Reduced price $17.43

Passes
24 hours all zones - Adult $15.85, Reduced price $9.50
72 hours all zones - Adult $31.70, Reduced price $19.02
7 days all zones - Adult $41.21, Reduced price $25.38
30 days all zones - Adult $109.43, Reduced price $66.64
90 days all zones - Adult $318.92, Reduced price $190.41
Summer ticket all zones (start of may to end of August) - Adult $326.87, Reduced price $196.76
Annual pass all zones - Adult $1155.17, Reduced price $693.42
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #82
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Stockholm Tunnelbana

Some pictures of the Tunnelbana (blue line) taken by Justin Glow (please visit his blog in thanks for these great images).

In addition to this, our very own SSC user, Micro has posted a video on his YouTube account of a departing Tunnelbana train from one of these stations:

Also, one of the most interesting stations to watch metro trains in Stockholm - Gamla Stan. There is cross platform interchange between Red and Green lines at this station. The end of the platform is, fortunately for rail fans, uncovered so it gives a good view along the bridge.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 6th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #83
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The Stockholm Travel Guarantee

One of the best things about public transport in Stockholm is the travel guarantee. This appears to be quite a common thing across Sweden to entice people onto public transport rather than using their private cars.

The travel guarantee means that if you feel that you will be more than 20 minutes late for your destination then SL will compensate you and reimburse you for your travel by car, taxi or other public transport such as an SJ train where SL would normally run.

The travel guarantee pays up to 800 SEK (which works out to be $126.88 USD) for the use of alternative transport should public transport be cancelled or you be inconvenienced for 20 minutes or more.

This travel guarantee removes a great deal of the "unknown" about travelling with public transport and helps to ensure that services are provided at a good level across the whole of Stockholm county.

The only events not covered by the guarantee are scheduled service outage (that has been informed in advance), if there is a strike, or if there is an act of god or power outage that SL is not responsible for as all modes of transportation will suffer under these circumstances.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 6th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #84
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

It would be interesting to see the Blue Buses actually become a true BRT line, complete with a segregated bus lane, and the such. Preferably in the suburban areas. Modelled along the lines of Trans-Val-de-Marne in Paris.

Additionally, it seems that all the light rail lines in Stockholm are barely connected to one another.

And as for Saltsjöbanan, is the conversion to LRT cancelled or just on hold?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #85
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
It would be interesting to see the Blue Buses actually become a true BRT line, complete with a segregated bus lane, and the such. Preferably in the suburban areas. Modelled along the lines of Trans-Val-de-Marne in Paris.

Additionally, it seems that all the light rail lines in Stockholm are barely connected to one another.

And as for Saltsjöbanan, is the conversion to LRT cancelled or just on hold?
The buses do largely have bus only lanes in the centre and they (generally) aren't needed to be segregated in the suburbs due to low traffic volumes.

The light rail lines in Stockholm are largely unconnected as they serve different functions. The Lindigöbanan serves the Island of Lindigö and joins to the metro system at Ropsten, the Nockebybanan serves a suburban area of Bromma and joins up to the Tvärbanan and metro at Alvik, the Tvärbanan joins up multiple metro lines (and has a connection to the Nockebybanan at Alvik). The light rail lines are primarily to connect suburban areas to the metro where there are seamless transfers. They are not designed to link up to each other as that isn't the point of the network. Light rail is for short journeys to connecting suburbs or the metro. The overall map of Stockholm's rail system shown below illustrates this nicely.

Currently Spårväg City is going to be extended to Ropsten and eventually through to Kungsholmen as a start for an inner city network of light rail. This is going to replace certain bus lines through the city.

Saltsjöbanan conversion is on hold at the moment due to its high cost compared to its benefits. There are more important parts of the network to improve first before its conversion. The Lindigöbanan conversion and modernisation as well as double tracking is going ahead instead.
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #86
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

MBTA could learn a lot from SL on how to organise its public transport system.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #87
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Thank you very much for this great thread!

Last edited by dj4life; April 7th, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #88
dj4life

May i contribute for developing this thread? If it is ok, i will put some more pictures of Stockholms metro (which celebrated the 60th birthday not so long ago!) and arts in it:

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

(c) artbns.com

Last edited by dj4life; April 7th, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #89
dj4life

One of the red buses which are used in the whole metro area (there are longand short buses; most of them are new or not elder than 10 - 15 years, eco - friendly):

(c) ************, Lincas

Also, i have read that Stockholm is going to be the first city in the World to use only environment - friendly buses. (i will try to find a source on this).
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #90
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Thank you for the great pictures, Dj4life! You're totally right about the buses in Stockholm, they are the first to be run on completely environmentally friendly fuel (it also helps them be so quiet compared to other buses too).

Those metro pictures show just why the Stockholm tunnelbana is caled "the worlds longest art gallery". They really do make it a pleasure to use the system.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 7th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #91
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Thank you for the great pictures, Dj4life! You're totally right about the buses in Stockholm, they are the first to be run on completely environmentally friendly fuel (it also helps them be so quiet compared to other buses too).
Those metro pictures show just why the Stockholm tunnelbana is caled "the worlds longest art gallery". They really do make it a pleasure to use the system.
That was not a big deal at all as it is always interesting to share the information i know and contribute to the development of a discussion.
The transport system in Stockholm and other cities is good, however there is always something that could be better (esp. regional trains, råslagsbanan).
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #92
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
MBTA could learn a lot from SL on how to organise its public transport system.
Whilst SL isn't perfect, I think it combines a good service with provisions to make it as friendly to regular travellers as it can (with heavily discounted long-term cards) and it's amazing travel guarantee that seems to be so popular right across Sweden. I think the travel guarantee is one of the best things to ensure that operators provide a good service as they are penalised financially if they can't meet their obligations.

The one thing I would say is a bit unfortunate is SL's policy on bikes. You can't take bikes on most forms of public transport. This cuts down the modal share for bikes across the city. In most German cities (including on very busy metro systems like the Berlin U-bahn) you can take your bike quite happily but not in Stockholm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
That was not a big deal at all as it is always interesting to share the information i know and contribute to the development of a discussion.
The transport system in Stockholm and other cities is good, however there is always something that could be better (esp. regional trains, råslagsbanan).
I'm especially excited to see the Roslagsbanan upgrades. I know they recently closed one station and moved it closer to Stockholm University for better transfer to the University and the metro system. They've also extensively double-tracked areas of it and will be purchasing new rolling stock even though the rolling stock on the lines currently dates from 1988-1995 which is quite young by international standards.

I do love the Pendeltåg system though. The trains used are incredibly comfortable, quiet and fast making the journey quite pleasant. When the Malarbanan is opened it will increase capacity and allow more frequent regional trains between Västerås and Örebro which will be good. Citybanan completion will again add extra capacity allowing SJ to run over twice as many trains through Stockholm as they do now meaning far more frequent connections to long distance cities. Another expansion to the regional trains will be the extension of the Pendeltåg to Uppsala which will free up UL trains to allow more connections in Uppsala county.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 7th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #93
dj4life

Quote:
Whilst SL isn't perfect, I think it combines a good service with provisions to make it as friendly to regular travellers as it can (with heavily discounted long-term cards) and it's amazing travel guarantee that seems to be so popular right across Sweden. I think the travel guarantee is one of the best things to ensure that operators provide a good service as they are penalised financially if they can't meet their obligations.
The one thing I would say is a bit unfortunate is SL's policy on bikes. You can't take bikes on most forms of public transport. This cuts down the modal share for bikes across the city. In most German cities (including on very busy metro systems like the Berlin U-bahn) you can take your bike quite happily but not in Stockholm.
Not perfect, but close to that. Yes, the strange policy against bikes in the public transport is strange, since the trains and buses are comfortable to use to everyone, including mothers with child carriages or disabled people. Anyway, the policy may be changed one day, especially knowing that the new metro trains with larger cabins will be delivered quite soon. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Another expansion to the regional trains will be the extension of the Pendeltåg to Uppsala which will free up UL trains to allow more connections in Uppsala county.
Wow, that's news to me. I have heard that the Pendeltåg line will be expanded till 'Arlanda' airport, though.
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #94
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 16

That about the bikes is odd! I had thought better of SL. In Denmark, the DSB has a wagon for the bikes in the trains, which also consist air pumps if you're running low, and bringing a bike doesn't cost extra as long as you can get it in that wagon.
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #95
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alseimik View Post
That about the bikes is odd! I had thought better of SL. In Denmark, the DSB has a wagon for the bikes in the trains, which also consist air pumps if you're running low, and bringing a bike doesn't cost extra as long as you can get it in that wagon.
Yep, Sweden in general is quite unfriendly to bikes on transport. I've never quite understood why, but it is a policy that the government really should address.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Stockholm Public Transport Videos

Tunnelbana

Video at Danderyds Sjukhus station. Shows the C20 stock and the older metro stock that will be replaced on this line. This is on the red line.

One of the above ground stations (Sandsborg) taken from the end of the platform. This is on the green line.

Pendeltåg

Stockholm C. This station will be replaced for pendeltåg trains when the citybanan is completed in 2017.

Shorter Pendeltåg train at Spånga station.

Tvarbanan

Tvarbanan at Sickla Kaj station.

Old April 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #97
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Citybanan Update

A view of the massive underground network in the centre of Stockholm - an interchange between three groups of underground lines (3 Green, 2 red and 2 blue) and the new train station on the pendeltåg.

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #98
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

More Videos of Public Transport

Buses in Stockholm

A video of some of the buses in central Stockholm including the very busy route 2.

Buses in suburban Stockholm at Liljeholmen along with the Tvärbanan.

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #99
dj4life

Nice addition, thank you.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #100
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Good organized thread. The Stockholm transport network seems to be perfectly organized. I really like the themes inside the underground stations as well

Something we drastically need in Rotterdam. Themes for the stations. They look boring, lame and uninspired.

Something I noticed about the trains. They are very long! I really like the sound but to me it looks like they're stopping at a station pretty long. Am I right or are there others who think this is normal?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden