daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #1021
sztmbr

Likes (Received): 1174

http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

I recommend The SL Access card. You can buy it on Arlanda and jump to bus towards Marsta and then change to train (pendeltag) to Stockholm. SL card let you to travel whithin whole aglomeration.

If you are lazy there are direct trains but need to pay extra (passing to direct pendeltag or taking arlanda express is not included in sl card).

Last edited by sztmbr; May 4th, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
sztmbr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #1022
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Yeah, a SL one week ticket makes by the most sense. Unlimited rides on almost all transit (some ferries and the trains that go to Arlanda Airport aren't included).

Depending on how much luggage you've got with you it might be worth it buy the extra fare for taking the Pendel (commuter train) directly from Arlanda instead of the bus to Märsta and there change to the Pendel (the latter trip is included in the SL weekly card).

iirc there's a tourist info desk/shop near the exit from gates/customs in terminal 5. They'll be able to help you too.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Tågälskaren liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #1023
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1089

There is a train called Arlanda Express direct from the airport to the central station.
http://arlandaexpress.com

The SL Access card cost 20 SEK + your travel plan.

Have your best time in Stockholm! <3

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

Last edited by InK.fan; May 4th, 2016 at 11:47 AM.
InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #1024
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Tempted to head down there this weekend just to see if there is any visible signage at all. What was wrong with the old signs and their location? They were visible enough before!
They were moved down a little bit.

EDIT: I've re-uploaded the photos to Imgur.

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

Last edited by InK.fan; May 4th, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #1025
OzFrog
Melburnian

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by InK.fan View Post
There is a train called Arlanda Express direct from the airport to the central station.
http://arlandaexpress.com

The SL Access card cost 20 SEK + your travel plan.

Have your best time in Stockholm! <3
Thanks heaps for the info. I had a look at the websites and they definitely give some great information. However, what they didn't mention was the actual cost of the fares themselves for the SL Access Cards (I know it's 20 SEK for the card itself, but what would I be looking at fare-wise for unlimited weekly travel as mentioned by Swede above?).

The Arlanda Express tickets are pretty expensive for my liking (I'm on a rather tight budget). I'll probably go for the bus to Märsta and then train it that way to the city (I'd imagine it would be a lot cheaper than the direct train in any case).

BTW, if anyone wants to catch up for a coffee/drink (when I'm not doing Eurovision stuff), I'd love to meet some of you. Just send me a PM and we can take it from there. I'm in town from Monday the 9th until Tuesday the 17th.
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #1026
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Sorry I cannot link you at the moment as I am on my mobile, but I can tell you that the SL fares are the same for the access card as normal ticket prices. It will cost you 300kr for a 7 day pass which is pretty good value I have to say.

The Märsta bus is my favourite way to get to the airport too I have to say. It works well. Also you are very lucky, the weather is gorgeous at the moment after months of absolute misery so you will see the city at its absolute best.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:08 PM   #1027
sztmbr

Likes (Received): 1174

You can buy single use travelcards for 24 and 72 hours, or load any type of travelcard on an SL Access smart card.

24 hours: SEK115 (full price); SEK 70 (reduced price)
72 hours: SEK 230(full price); SEK 140 (reduced price)
7 days*: SEK300 (full price); SEK180 (reduced price)
30 days: SEK790

OzFrog liked this post
sztmbr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #1028
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

A small detail is that 7 and 30 day cards are day cards, not hourly cards. They are for seven calendar days, the activation day included. If you arrive in the evening and just use it to arrive at the hotel, you effectively have a 6 day card. Since you are not staying long enough for the month card to be an attractive option, using a 72 hour card first might be better.

Or vice versa use a 7 day card first if you arrive in the morning.

sztmbr liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #1029
OzFrog
Melburnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Sorry I cannot link you at the moment as I am on my mobile, but I can tell you that the SL fares are the same for the access card as normal ticket prices. It will cost you 300kr for a 7 day pass which is pretty good value I have to say.

The Märsta bus is my favourite way to get to the airport too I have to say. It works well. Also you are very lucky, the weather is gorgeous at the moment after months of absolute misery so you will see the city at its absolute best.
Yeah I'd be happy to do the Märsta route as well. The weather forecast for the next 10 days looks phenomenal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
A small detail is that 7 and 30 day cards are day cards, not hourly cards. They are for seven calendar days, the activation day included. If you arrive in the evening and just use it to arrive at the hotel, you effectively have a 6 day card. Since you are not staying long enough for the month card to be an attractive option, using a 72 hour card first might be better.

Or vice versa use a 7 day card first if you arrive in the morning.
Arriving at midday, so I'll go the 7 + 3 day option

Thanks everyone for their feedback! It's helped me greatly!
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #1030
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Here is one of my little tours of Stockholm's public transport.

First off, one of the busier stations on the tunnelbana network - Skanstull. Served by all three branches of the green line, it is incredibly well used.

Here is Odenplan a major station in the northern part of the city centre. This stations role is expanding dramatically with the construction of the new Citybanan railway. The railway will carry the commuter rail (pendeltåg) under the city in a newly built underground tunnel. Odenplan will be a major interchange at the northern part of the city centre. Currently the station is served only by the green line (all three branches).

Finally for the tunnelbana, here is Kristineberg. It is an elevated station on the western portion of Kungsholmen and is served by all three branches of the green line.

Now for a more unique one - the Nockebybanan. This was an old railway line through a villastad, or garden suburb. Now thoroughly modernised into a light rail line, the line is quite an interesting one to both travel on and for fans of more unusual public transport.

Old May 26th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #1031
Swede
forumer #29

SL has made a vid about their new "visual identity".

I like it.
Not the map though, which is real bad. But it'll have to change a lot next year due to Citybanan and Tvärbanan to Sickla Station, so maybe they'll do a good re-design.
But other than that I really like it. Consistent, clear and one that can last a long time IMO.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old May 26th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #1032
OzFrog
Melburnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
SL has made a vid about their new "visual identity".

I like it.
Not the map though, which is real bad. But it'll have to change a lot next year due to Citybanan and Tvärbanan to Sickla Station, so maybe they'll do a good re-design.
But other than that I really like it. Consistent, clear and one that can last a long time IMO.
That video had "avant-garde 80s music video" written all over it!

InK.fan liked this post
OzFrog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #1033
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

That looks really similar to the new Sydney transport signage, especially the font. We didn't get the slick video to go with it though.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #1034
C30

Likes (Received): 284

New signage for bus stops seems to be missing from the identity, that hasn't been updated since the 80s.
C30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #1035
Swede
forumer #29

I didn't even notice that! I wonder if they'll dare change them.
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #1036
C30

Likes (Received): 284

Just changing the typeface would be enough, but new bus stop signs going up still mostly seem to be using the Helvetica variant that has been around for 30 years, and this seems to be the third identity overhaul that they are about to survive.

Although all three have been rather half-hearted in that no real effort has been made to change all (or at least 90%) of the signage before the next overhaul happens a decade or so later.

EDIT: The responsible design agency, Familjen Pangea, actually has a bus stop example on their website. But again, I don't see any real effort to implement it across the county, which is somewhat understandable, with the thousands of stops. I have to say that red really is a more visible colour than grey.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by C30; May 27th, 2016 at 03:21 AM.
C30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #1037
Swede
forumer #29

Yeah, having grey as the profile color makes everything looks slick and modern in a subway station - but makes the busstops that are just a pole with a sign far less visible.
A red frame? A red line at the top? or just go for the grey and hope most people will still be able to find them?

And as for signs surviving several design overhauls... yeah. SL seems to want to change that way faster than they're willing to implement it. Plus there's a few places that still use the 50s style on the main signs (Hötorget being one).
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #1038
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

To be honest, I don't mind the bus stops as they are. Whilst it's nice to have unified themes for rail stations, there are so many bus stops, I really don't see the point. SL is actually very, very good by international standards at putting relevant and decent information at bus stops - especially the busy ones. Rather than wasting too much money on this they should focus on expanding the system, improving customer service (by enforcing rules for bus drivers and MTR drivers) work on driver training for the tunnelbana (still so jerky) etc etc. These are what makes the system work well and be good to use not fancy typefaces.
Old June 4th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #1039
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Little update for everyone - on certain public transport now they are installing readers for you to bip your SL access cards on before boarding the train. This is starting with the Tvärbanan and Nockebybanan.

Here is the reader plinth before installation of the reader itself (taken at Sickla Kaj).

Bonus shots: Sickla Kaj Tvärbanan stop.

Finally, the Japanese Spitz we were looking after last weekend. Here she is on the Tvärbanan.

Old June 4th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #1040
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Oh, and since it ties in, here's my video from last weekend of the Tvärbanan at Sickla Kaj (and in Hammarby Sjöstad as a whole).

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden