daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:49 PM   #1141
tonbenron

Likes (Received): 914

Stockholm City Line 360°

Dagens Nyheter has posted a 360°-clip on YouTube, showing a ride on the Stockholm City Line in HD (w/ English subtitles):

tonbenron no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #1142
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1089

I saw that gates at the Citybanans Odenplan station are now being enabled.

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

dj4life, dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:44 AM   #1143
InK.fan

http://www.trafikverket.se/nara-dig/...i-varldsklass/

dimlys1994, Slartibartfas liked this post
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:35 PM   #1144
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Citybanan will be such a tremendous improvement for the Pendeltåg system. I had the pleasure to use it for some time and it really needed some urgent action. Frequent traffic jams on the main rail are simply not acceptable. The slightest complication messed up the whole train service with very substantial delays and stop and go traffic from one signal to the next.

If the reliability of the Pendeltåg could be reestablished, it would be a great boost for the system.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:42 PM   #1145
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

The reliability is set to go up substantially. And after a few years of works on the old line so will it also for the mainline trains (i.e. regional & intercity).
frequency is also set to go up for the Pendel. On the Märsta-Södertälje line it'll be dedicated tracks all the way iirc. And for the other line the projects for building more tracks so there can be dedicated tracks all the way is well under way in most sections.

These changes coming in the next 1-10 years are IMO looking to be as big a change as when the service was first introduced as a specific commuter rail run by the County Council's transit agency.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Slartibartfas liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #1146
tonbenron

Likes (Received): 914

Best photographs of the Stockholm City Line, 2009-2016

The Swedish Transport Administration recently held an exhibition at the Stockholm Central Station of the best photographs taken during the construction of the Stockholm City Line 2009-2016, you can view them on Flickr here, and here's a few of them:

MU-131259 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

2012:

MU-128532 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

2013:

Citybanan genomslag Mariagårdstäppan 130626 2942a by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

2013:

MU-1320526 by Projekt Citybanan, on Flickr

Photos by Hans Ekestang and Mikael Ullén

dimlys1994, dj4life liked this post
tonbenron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:21 PM   #1147
flowdraa

Likes (Received): 0

Question about the Saltsjöbanan - does anyone know if the Stockholm metro trains would be able to run on these tracks? The electrification seems to be 750 V DC for both, and afaik the Saltsjöbanan trains are old metro trains, right?
flowdraa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #1148
Swede
forumer #29

The trains currently running on it are old subway cars, yes. With the electrical system changed from third rail to overhead wires - made easier by it being the same voltage, yes. Also, the platforms on Saltsjöbanan are a bit further from the tracks and so the cars have "skirts" added to fill that gap.
So converting the current C20 cars to be able to run on Saltsjöbanan should be entirely possible. At least, I've read many suggest that as possibility and I don't thingk I've seen anyone write a reason it couldn't be done.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

flowdraa liked this post
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #1149
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

There are no news yet about the blue line extension project?
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #1150
InK.fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
There are no news yet about the blue line extension project?
http://www.sll.se/verksamhet/kollekt...till-Barkarby/

In English: https://translate.google.se/translat...ll-Barkarby%2F

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #1151
flowdraa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The trains currently running on it are old subway cars, yes. With the electrical system changed from third rail to overhead wires - made easier by it being the same voltage, yes. Also, the platforms on Saltsjöbanan are a bit further from the tracks and so the cars have "skirts" added to fill that gap.
So converting the current C20 cars to be able to run on Saltsjöbanan should be entirely possible. At least, I've read many suggest that as possibility and I don't thingk I've seen anyone write a reason it couldn't be done.
Thank you - great info. If the Blue line metro extension ever was to take over the Saltsjöbanen, then presumably the gap between train and platform would be an issue? As well as the lack of third rail. I wonder are there any metro systems that switch from third rail to overhead wire along stretches of routes...
flowdraa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #1152
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Does anyone know when the first C30 trainset will arrive in Stockholm?
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #1153
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowdraa View Post
Thank you - great info. If the Blue line metro extension ever was to take over the Saltsjöbanen, then presumably the gap between train and platform would be an issue? As well as the lack of third rail. I wonder are there any metro systems that switch from third rail to overhead wire along stretches of routes...
Saltsjöbanan will not be made part of the Blue line.
The Blue line will be extended out to Nacka, but won't use any of the Saltsjöbanan infrastructure. It will get new tunnels instead tho it will have two stations where you can change to Saltsjöbanan. Saltsjöbanan is mostly single tracked and often with residential properties abutting the line. Plus it doesn't go where there's the most people nor where there is much potential for building more. So, it was never really an option to use it as part of the subway.
Saltsjöbanan till get a slight upgrade as part of the re-build of Slussen that's happening now: it will get a two-track terminus at Slussen! Yes, it has been a single track terminus! Reliability and possibly frequency should be get better after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0p0litain View Post
Does anyone know when the first C30 trainset will arrive in Stockholm?
Later this year, and testing should also start this year.

metr0p0litain, flowdraa liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:16 PM   #1154
Swede
forumer #29

The entrance to the commuter trains from the Blue line subway platforms at T-centralen. Open for use in less than 6 months.

source: facebook

Old March 7th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1155
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

New station along the planned yellow line

Now it is clear that there will be a metro station in Hagalund, which the politicians in the Stockholm suburb Solna long wanted.

On march 6th the new metro station Hagalund was presented, it will be located along the new yellow line and will be built with two entrances.

One of the exits will be situated in the work-areas of Hagalund and along the road Solnavägen and it will mean thousands of new homes, says an enthusiastic mayor.

- It means that this industrial area may become a thriving residential area with a brand new metro station,
but also to our vision of making the Solna road a city street that connects with Hagastaden and the city can become a reality, says Solna Municipal Pehr Gran Falk (M) .

He says that now they can build thousands of homes.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1156
Swede
forumer #29

Without that station the new Green branch would be 99% insane. Now it's just 90% insane.
The station itself looks to be fairly well placed with exits on either side of the mainline rail tracks. I've been to the area quite a few times and the placement is very smart.
However, the branch remains idiotic. Having it as a branch of the Green line will reduce capacity westwards (only expected to be ok since the huge motorway tunnel "Förbifarten" is expected to make 10% of riders there switch to driving cars) and will make an actual 4th subway line through the City years and years away.

:jax: liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:47 AM   #1157
InK.fan

This escalator at the Odenplan station (green line, all branches) will be soon replaced. I think that it's one of the oldest escalators in the whole subway system. Odenplan was opened in 1952 as one of the first metro stations in Stockholm from Kungsgatan (Hötorget) to Vällingby.

Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM   #1158
Swede
forumer #29

I doubt it's still the same escalator since the station opened. Wouldn't surprise me if they've replaced it twice already.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:30 PM   #1159
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Without that station the new Green branch would be 99% insane. Now it's just 90% insane.
The station itself looks to be fairly well placed with exits on either side of the mainline rail tracks. I've been to the area quite a few times and the placement is very smart.
However, the branch remains idiotic. Having it as a branch of the Green line will reduce capacity westwards (only expected to be ok since the huge motorway tunnel "Förbifarten" is expected to make 10% of riders there switch to driving cars) and will make an actual 4th subway line through the City years and years away.

The current configuration of the Green Line with three branches south of Gullmarsplan is quite weird and causes a lot of congestion. There were plans in the 1980's to let the blue line from Kungsträdgården pass to the south through Södermalm and link up with the westernmost branch, effectively making the branch to Hagsätra part of a north/south blue line with interchange to the remaining green line at Gullmarsplan.

May I suggest the branch from Solna station to continue southwards, with interchanges to current subways and commuter rails at Solna station-Odenplan-Rådhuset-Zinkensdamm-Stockholms södra-Årsta-Gullmarsplan/Skärmarbrink and from there swing east to the green line towards Skarpnäck, making it a part of this new coloured line? If you want to go to T-centralen directly from Skarpnäck you'd have the possibility of changing trains at Gullmarsplan/Skärmarbrink, at the same time you'd have a wholly new connection between north and south and ease congestion on the remaining green line (add to this the possible benefit of new construction east of Nynäsvägen, with a connection to the subway station underground. I've often envisioned construction in the wholly underused park at Skansbacken/Hammarbybacken as a potential urban gateway to Södermalm from the south).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #1160
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
The current configuration of the Green Line with three branches south of Gullmarsplan is quite weird and causes a lot of congestion. There were plans in the 1980's to let the blue line from Kungsträdgården pass to the south through Södermalm and link up with the westernmost branch, effectively making the branch to Hagsätra part of a north/south blue line with interchange to the remaining green line at Gullmarsplan.
those plans were present even earlier iirc.
And are finally being acted upon. Sadly, they've cut back on some exits and such that would have been great, but at least the line is finally getting built (starting in a few years).

http://nyatunnelbanan.sll.se/sv/nackasoderort-om

Some people along the Hagsätra branch are grumbling about no longer getting to Södermalm easily and also th eHötorget-S:t Eriksplan stretch. Yes, Södermalm! like there won't be a new station on Södermalm... (say Götgatan if you mean Götgatan!).
I too live on that branch. I look forward to the new line. It'll be great. Most peopel will adapt within a year and having more frequent and more reliable service will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
May I suggest the branch from Solna station to continue southwards, with interchanges to current subways and commuter rails at Solna station-Odenplan-Rådhuset-Zinkensdamm-Stockholms södra-Årsta-Gullmarsplan/Skärmarbrink and from there swing east to the green line towards Skarpnäck, making it a part of this new coloured line? If you want to go to T-centralen directly from Skarpnäck you'd have the possibility of changing trains at Gullmarsplan/Skärmarbrink, at the same time you'd have a wholly new connection between north and south and ease congestion on the remaining green line (add to this the possible benefit of new construction east of Nynäsvägen, with a connection to the subway station underground. I've often envisioned construction in the wholly underused park at Skansbacken/Hammarbybacken as a potential urban gateway to Södermalm from the south).
For the part under the inner city I'm thinking something very similar, but no hard turn to the eat IMO. Better to create a new line going south/southwest via Årsta/Östberg/Älsvjö with new stations and to add loads of new development in those areas. End that branch at Skärholmen or so. I.e. new stations under what is now single family houses and upzone that whole area.
https://www.google.se/maps/@59.30745...tCnqOl8IqwobEo

Having two branches on the Green southwards will work fine. I'd say it'd make a second branch to the west possible. Put that branch so it branches off after Alvik, covers the Bromma Airport area (should be redeveloped) and ends up at a commuter rail station.

:jax: liked this post

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden