daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1161
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
For the part under the inner city I'm thinking something very similar, but no hard turn to the eat IMO. Better to create a new line going south/southwest via Årsta/Östberg/Älsvjö with new stations and to add loads of new development in those areas. End that branch at Skärholmen or so. I.e. new stations under what is now single family houses and upzone that whole area.
https://www.google.se/maps/@59.30745...tCnqOl8IqwobEo

Having two branches on the Green southwards will work fine. I'd say it'd make a second branch to the west possible. Put that branch so it branches off after Alvik, covers the Bromma Airport area (should be redeveloped) and ends up at a commuter rail station.
I believe in a third pendeltåg line ahead of a fourth metro line. An eastern metro line would make good sense, I think, but would upset everyone in Eastern Stockholm who would couldn't possibly stomach the thought of an urban east.

A loser in a sense for my pendeltåg scheme would be Älvsjö, that would not be upgraded to a regional centre, though still a local centre and branch point for the Nynäshamn and Södertälje+ lines.

By same measure the winner would be Alvik, with metro, Tvärbana, pendeltåg and the Nockeby line. Alvik-Bromma-Sundbyberg would be a new central axis, and a closer centre for Västerort.

A secondary winner would be Flemingsberg, which would be the "capital of Södertörn".

We would get a fast north/south connection, one that bypasses the Älvsjö-Odenplan stretch, for a more robust and flexible transport system. The bypass could stop in Sundbyberg, or continue towards Täby and Roslagen. From Flemingsberg it could go to Handen.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.32151...yh51l0Mrthenr4
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #1162

Some pictures of the induction charged bus stop at Södertälje.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
At the same time (and place, the red bus symbol on the map) I took a few pictures of the 755 bus. It is an electric bus, in itself rare in Sweden, and charged by induction, I believe first in Sweden and one of the first in the world.

(That it is line 755 is not accidental. It goes from this Science Park (with a KTH branch) past Södertälje City Hall, Scania HQ (the maker of the bus) to Södertälje Syd regional rail station.)

Old March 25th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #1163
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Some pictures of the induction charged bus stop at Södertälje.
More information http://www.curbed.com/2016/12/21/140...transportation

:jax:, dimlys1994 liked this post
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #1164
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1091

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

dimlys1994 liked this post
InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #1165
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...tml?channel=00

Stockholm Roslagsbanan EMU order finalised
Monday, April 24, 2017

STADLER confirmed on April 24 that it has finalised a SFr 232m ($US 233m) contract with Stockholm County Council for 22 EMUs for the 891mm-gauge Roslagsbanan, which links Stockholm with districts to the north and east of the city

Stadler was selected as preferred bidder for the contract last August, following a tender which also attracted bids from Bombardier, CAF, Pesa, and Vossloh. The cancellation period for the contract lapsed on April 21

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Swede, InK.fan liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #1166
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Larger images and link to press release:

Full Press release can be found at: http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/meta/n...its-stockholm/

Swede, dimlys1994, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #1167
InK.fan

New videos from SL about the Citybanan.

BTW: Why is the station called "City"? Do we not have our own language?...

dimlys1994, DiogoBaptista liked this post
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #1168
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Maybe they want to make it easy for tourists and visitors to find the central hub for Stockholm's public transport network? If I'm abroad and I don't speak the language, I usually look for "central station" (or something resembling that) as that place is usually a hub for various modes of public transportation.

T-Centralen means nothing to a foreigner so they're unlikely to ask for directions to that station, but they won't find the metro (ahem, tunnelbana?) to Farsta at Stockholm Central.
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #1169
InK.fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Maybe they want to make it easy for tourists and visitors to find the central hub for Stockholm's public transport network? If I'm abroad and I don't speak the language, I usually look for "central station" (or something resembling that) as that place is usually a hub for various modes of public transportation.

T-Centralen means nothing to a foreigner so they're unlikely to ask for directions to that station, but they won't find the metro (ahem, tunnelbana?) to Farsta at Stockholm Central.
There are signs and arrows in both languages. Also the metro map should contain piktograms, like a train. The station should be called "Stockholm Klara", "Stockholm Sergel", "Stockholm Centrum" or "P-Centralen" (according to T-Centralen), but not "City" which is not in Swedish...

Should the south station (Stockholms södra) be now called "Stockholm south" then? T-Centralen -> T-Central, Gamla stan -> Old town?

Tågälskaren liked this post
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1170
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by InK.fan View Post
What do you mean? "City" is a part of Swedish, and have been so since at least 1973, when it was added to the SAOL dictionary.
http://spraakdata.gu.se/saolhist/sta...s%5B%5D=SAOL14
And since it's in SAOL then it's a part of Swedish, since they only add words that us the speakers uses on a regular basis. So if you invent a word and it get enough usage in daily Swedish speak/writing, then it to will be a part of Swedish. Svenska Akademien publish a list of new words (and also which ones goes out of usage) every year, and the words on it is based on usage of the people.
Swedish don't have a administration that decides on what Swedish is, just Svenska Akademien that documents which words are used by us the speakers are using, it is us that develop this language.

But the stations look good, just have to wait until I'll go visit my aunt next time so I can use it

Last edited by loefet; June 15th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #1171
The Polman

Likes (Received): 799

Some Dutch people use an ancient Greek word for that behaviour of using anything foreign at the expense of their own culture: Oikophobia. The fear of our own kind/culture/yourself.

Like the French other countries should also be proud of not using bland English words. We all "have our mouth full" about migrants, islam and all of these but in the meantime all of our culture is actually getting overshadowed by the Anglomania: short-sighted economics, illogical language constructions, a lack of cooking skills and restricting drinking to beyond the age of driving causing more deaths on the roads. What's next? Locking ourselves up on a small plot of land out of fear from the outer world? We should keep on doing trade but being proud of ourselves is nothing to shame for.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

Tågälskaren, InK.fan liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #1172
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Because us locals have been calling the heart of the city "City" for decades now. The word does not mean the same thing as in English (even though it is an obvious loan from English and pretty much all of us speak English).

IMO it's completely fine and in no way related to what you guys are talking about. There *are* projects/buildings in Stockholm that do have English names for no good reason (usually not that good names either), but this ain't it.
That said, "Klara" and "P-Centralen" would also have made good names. Re-naming T-Centralen to Klara and have the subway and commuter rail have the same name would also have been good IMO (if more expensive).

BTW:
The opening of Citybana is just 3 weeks from today! The ceremonies will be the day before on Sunday and the stations will be open for several hours and at least one train will be running as a shuttle between City and Odenplan.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

InK.fan liked this post

Last edited by Swede; June 19th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #1173

You also got Cityterminalen, not the terminal of the City station, but the regional bus station, connected to Stockholm Central Station. It is a bit of a mess. Klara would have been a good name for the metro and local train stations.

A name change would make the connection to the train station and the bus terminal less clear, though Cityterminalen, Centralen, City and T-Centralen isn't all that clear either.

Oslo has something similar, the metro station, local bus stop, and tram stop are all called "Jernbanetorget" (Railroad Square), while the train station is Oslo sentralstasjon (Oslo Central Station) and the regional bus terminal Oslo bussterminal (Oslo bus terminal).

Some have argued that "Jernbanetorget" should be renamed Oslo S, as the railway station is the primary point of interest, not the square in front of it, and it wouldn't be immediately obvious to a tourist, maybe not even a Norwegian one, that "Jernbanetorget" (or for Stockholm "Klara") would connect to the station. ("Oslo S" would be easier to pronounce for a foreigner than "Jernbanetorget" though, not an issue for "Klara".)

That is a valid argument, but I don't think that's anything a train symbol on the map couldn't solve. Train and plane symbols on metro maps are pretty much universal by now.

InK.fan, Swede liked this post
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #1174
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:

City (of Stockholm) is partially an expression for all mass transit systems linking up at "Stockholms Central" ( the old, and current, main railway station for intercity trains which has kept it's name - "Centralen" for short in speech) as well as the commuter trains and all subway lines linking up there (it's the only point in the system where it is possible to change to all three lines as well as all kind of trains ) plus long-distance buses at Cityterminalen; partially a result of the urban renewal of 1950-1980 around these places wherein residential houses were replaced with new offices. As first the subway construction (as said it is still the only point in the subway system where it's possible to change to all mass transit lines, hence it's importance is magnified to an incredible degree) and later the urban renewal changed the whole streetscape around the area of the old main railway station it became appropriate to give the area a new name. The old Klara parish and its city life (sic!) which was removed for all of this had next to nothing in resemblance to these new developments.

And, well, 1950-1980 was also an era of American culture and so on. 'City' was when talking about it close to 'Centralen' and/or 'Stockholms C' (the name of the railway station). Thus I can't really blame people for using 'City' as a new name of the whole srea and place.

'Centralen'/C is in Swedish railway terminology equivalent to 'Hauptbahnhof' in German, the main railway station (Malmö/Lund/Göteborg have their C:s with local commuter stations elsewhere in their cities). And saying the words "Centralen"/"City" is very easy and smooth in Swedish.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #1175

Then again here in town Södertälje C is short not for Södertälje Central, but Södertälje Centrum. Like Stockholm, Södertälje has multiple stations, four, Centrum, Hamn, Östertälje and Syd, while Stockholm has five, Karlberg/Odenplan, Centralstation, Södra, Årstaberg, and Älvsjö).

I have assumed that this slight inconsistency is due to a network difference. While both C's are in the respective city centres, the Södertälje Centrum station isn't central to the rail system, but effectively on a sideline. Södertälje Terminal might be a reasonable alternative seen with railway eyes.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #1176
Grotlaufen

True as well.

Thus "C" can have three meanings: Centrum, City, Centralen. The words sounds quite similar, you know what part of town you're talking about whichever of these words you use.

It's the same in some other languages as well ("Stadtmitte" and/or "Zentrum" in German).
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #1177
Sixhaven

Likes (Received): 368

In the Netherlands there is a similar situation: Centraal is indeed the equivalent of the German word Hauptbahnhof and refers to the status of the station in the railway network. For a long time, there were only five stations in the Netherlands deemed worthy of Centraal status, i.e. Utrecht, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Leiden. In 2015, after long renovations, Arnhem also got Centraal status. Zwolle might be next.

Centrum on the other hand only refers to the location of the station: Schiedam Centrum and Almere Centrum are by no means Centraal to the railway network.
Sixhaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #1178
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Any first impressions of the new City line now that it has been opened for a few days? Has there already been a massive reorganisation of remaining traffic on the old surface line?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #1179
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

I don't want to get too off topic, but "Hauptbahnhof" literally means, "main station", not "central station". Granted, the difference is not too big but those two things are not quite the same.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; July 15th, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #1180
Grotlaufen

In many cases speakers would use it interchangeably. Even small towns have their Hauptbahnhof/Centralen in many cases despite being no other station in town. I see it more as a way to determine the weight of a station it carries in the rail network. But I digress.

To get back on track in Stockholm, it would be interesting if anyone would post some new pictures of the new Citybanan that opened this Monday.

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden