daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #101
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Good organized thread. The Stockholm transport network seems to be perfectly organized. I really like the themes inside the underground stations as well

Something we drastically need in Rotterdam. Themes for the stations. They look boring, lame and uninspired.

Something I noticed about the trains. They are very long! I really like the sound but to me it looks like they're stopping at a station pretty long. Am I right or are there others who think this is normal?
Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the thread! I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread on Stockholm already in this section.

Yeah, I agree that many metro systems don't pay enough attention to the environment that passengers have to wait in. By making it pleasant, it really does affect a passengers mood. Tokyo - one of the best metro systems out there (and one I generally enjoyed using) is very, very dull at platform level at nearly every station. There is no art and it is covered with advertising.

Yeah, the trains are quite long - it is a very well used system and so requires high capacity trains. The tunnelbana trains stop for about average for a metro system. If they arrive early at all then they idle at the station to make up their time like in other systems. The Pendeltåg trains though do spend longer at the stations. These trains are more like your NS trains so it's expected for them to sit a bit longer at the stations.

Hope to see you more in the thread!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #102
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Stockholm's mass transit is very impressive for a city of it's size. Most US cities could only dream of having such a system, including mine.

Last edited by LtBk; April 11th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #103
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Stockholm's mass transit is very impressive for a city of it's size. Most US cities could only dream of having such a system, including mine.
Well, it is not so small, if we have in mind that the city metro area consists of most of the living districts, many towns, which grew near the suburban railway lines. Also, the city is scattered very much and is part of the large Stockholms Business region, which also includes the quite distant, but important for the business in the city, cities of Västerås and Norrköping (+ Linköping).
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #104
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Well, it is not so small, if we have in mind that the city metro area consists of most of the living districts, many towns, which grew near the suburban railway lines. Also, the city is scattered very much and is part of the large Stockholms Business region, which also includes the quite distant, but important for the business in the city, cities of Västerås and Norrköping (+ Linköping).

The Greater Stockholm Area is sprawl par excellence.

It does not consist of "many towns". The towns are very few. In fact, the only de facto towns are Stockholm, Sundbyberg, Solna, Lidingö and Vaxholm. The rest are officially municipalities.

Stockholm Business Region is something that probs only business people like to mention but ask an average Joe or Jane and they'll go "¿Qué?".
It's a very abstract term, to say the least. Few use it and few know it. In fact it's not important. More important is the term "Stockholms län" (Stockholm County) which does directly concern and affect the lives of the people who live there. E.g. "Landstinget" (Stockholm City Council). http://www.sll.se/
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #105
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista View Post
The Greater Stockholm Area is sprawl par excellence.
It's not so bad by international standards. One thing that is good about the sprawl is that a lot of it is served by rail. All European cities (pretty much) have sprawled villages around them - even places like Zurich, which is a poster child of public transport, has massive amounts of sprawl around it. Tokyo? Sprawl sprawl sprawl (though at least it is somewhat dense and yes, I have been there and been out to areas like Hachioji or even Kashiwa.

The thing that sets a city apart is not necessarily the amount it sprawls, but how it services the sprawl. Is it built around a commuter rail station as happens in Stockholm (largely), Copenhagen or in many of Japan's large cities, or is it completely autocentric? Metropolitan Auckland is, actually, on the whole more dense than Stockholms Län, however, we have continuous, dispersed sprawl patterns rather than concentrated sprawl like your newer suburbs try to achieve. We also lack the mass-transit infrastructure seen in Stockholm too.

Anyway, this is a topic for another thread (though I am happy to keep chatting about it elsewhere). I'll continue to post updates on Stockholm and its public transport system later.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #106
LtBk

I noticed that lot of Stockholm suburbs have TOD(trasnit orientated developments) around their stations.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #107
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
I noticed that lot of Stockholm suburbs have TOD(trasnit orientated developments) around their stations.
Yep, they largely followed that kind of planning though the 1950's were dark times in Scandinavia too with lots of sprawl being constructed during that time. Things have improved quite a bit since then - take a look at the Stockholm's projects thread in the Nordic & Baltic forum.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #108
LtBk

TOD is becoming popular in couple of cities, especially DC but auto centric developments still dominate.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #109
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
TOD is becoming popular in couple of cities, especially DC but auto centric developments still dominate.
One of the first truly dedicated TOD developments actually occurred in Stockholm with Vällingby Town Centre. It was completed in 1954 and focused on providing shopping over a metro station and businesses clustered around the transit hub. It featured higher density apartments around it too - quite advanced for the time!
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #110
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's not so bad by international standards. One thing that is good about the sprawl is that a lot of it is served by rail. All European cities (pretty much) have sprawled villages around them - even places like Zurich, which is a poster child of public transport, has massive amounts of sprawl around it. Tokyo? Sprawl sprawl sprawl (though at least it is somewhat dense and yes, I have been there and been out to areas like Hachioji or even Kashiwa.

The thing that sets a city apart is not necessarily the amount it sprawls, but how it services the sprawl. Is it built around a commuter rail station as happens in Stockholm (largely), Copenhagen or in many of Japan's large cities, or is it completely autocentric? Metropolitan Auckland is, actually, on the whole more dense than Stockholms Län, however, we have continuous, dispersed sprawl patterns rather than concentrated sprawl like your newer suburbs try to achieve. We also lack the mass-transit infrastructure seen in Stockholm too.

Anyway, this is a topic for another thread (though I am happy to keep chatting about it elsewhere). I'll continue to post updates on Stockholm and its public transport system later.
It's about telling the truth. My friend I'm afraid you're wrong in this case. It's bad if it takes two hours (and even more) to travel from one end to another - and the region has measly 2 million inhabitants. Perhaps that's normal in the Greater Buenos Aires Area (where I've lived) or Greater Tokyo Area, but that shouldn't be the case for a region like the one of Stockholm. When all comes around it's about the term "quality time". Spending up to two hours or more travelling from one end to another in a sparsely populated region is not very good - and isn't that also a wasteful way of (mis)using land.
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #111
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista View Post
It's about telling the truth. My friend I'm afraid you're wrong in this case. It's bad if it takes two hours (and even more) to travel from one end to another - and the region has measly 2 million inhabitants. Perhaps that's normal in the Greater Buenos Aires Area (where I've lived) or Greater Tokyo Area, but that shouldn't be the case for a region like the one of Stockholm. When all comes around it's about the term "quality time". Spending up to two hours or more travelling from one end to another in a sparsely populated region is not very good - and isn't that also a wasteful way of (mis)using land.
If I were to travel from my area of Auckland to the centre (15km) during peak it takes 1hr 15 minutes by bus (and that is without any transfers). Auckland region has a population of 1.4 million. It takes three hours or more to travel across the city by public transport off-peak (a two hour example is my area of Howick to Browns Bay on the North Shore, try it yourself at www.maxx.co.nz and this isn't even across the whole city) . I think you overestimate how quick travel is around other parts of the world. Even cities like Munich if you travel from one end of the metropolitan area to another it can take over 2 hours quite easily especially when transfers are factored in. Here is an example that isn't even all the way across the metropolitan area (only using rail-based transport) Niederroth (S-bahn) to Tutzing (S-bahn) = 1 hour 47 minutes. A similar journey in Stockholm would be from Märsta station station to Nynashamn station which takes 1 hour 51 minutes (and that distance is actually greater).

As for the greater Tokyo area - if you catch a Commuter Special Rapid train from Hachioji it still takes 1 hour to get to Tokyo station (no line changes and a distance of 47.4km. This is one of the fastest urban transport systems I've found. How about some examples of simple journeys in Hong Kong - a very PT oriented city? From Lok ma Chau to Chai Wan takes 88 minutes and that's a comparatively easy journey - it's not even all the way across Hong Kong either (but it is a darned expensive journey)!

Have you got concrete examples of cities of Stockholm's size (metropolitan size that is) where travelling a comparable distance takes markedly longer in Stockholm than elsewhere? I'm afraid I can't think of one from my own experience of travelling around the world. This is why most people do actually regard Stockholm as having a very good transport system especially relative to its population size.
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #112
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

My best experience about the speed of public transport in Stockholm was taking the Pendeltåg between Spånga station and Stockholm C. The distance by rail is a bit more than 10 km and the train covered that distance in only 13 minutes...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #113
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Can't say I ever thought sprawl was an issue in STO in all my years there.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #114
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

I have used Pendeltåg several times. The new stock from Bombardier is a great stuff, makes ride really smooth and fast. A several years ago I saw Pendeltåg trains not going multiple, now all Pendeltåg consists seem to be at least two trains coupled. Even off peak. It seems that Pendeltåg is real success.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #115
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

More Stockholm Videos

Pendeltåg

View at Stockholm Södra.

Ride between Stockholm Södra and Stockholm Central.

Random Public Transport Related

Dancing at Stockholm Centralstation

Beat It Flashmob at Stockholm Centralstation

Old April 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #116
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Public Transport Construction

Spårväg City

By 2014, the local public transportation authority wants to extend Spårväg City across central Stockholm and the far side of Kungsholmen to provide better east-west connectivity across the central city.

In addition to this, procurement of new light rail vehicles for Spårväg City is currently underway.

(Thank you to VECTROTALENZIS for this information on Spårväg City expansion)
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #117
steckner

Likes (Received): 1

Some times ago the swedish railway company bought a number of german "420-electric-cars". Are these cars still in use?
steckner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #118
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by steckner View Post
Some times ago the swedish railway company bought a number of german "420-electric-cars". Are these cars still in use?
They were designated X420 rolling stock and were formerly in use on the Stockholm Pendeltåg. They have been withdrawn from service on this now as they were replaced with the X60 trains (see below). I'm not quite sure what happened to them but I believe they were scrapped.

Old April 19th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #119
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Inner City Tram Network Revealed

Plans for an inner city tram network have been released from the SL planning department. An unofficial map has been released of the proposed network to be operating by 2030. The map also includes a tunnelbana extension through the Karolinska Institutet and onwards to Solna Pendeltåg station as well as an extension to Nacka Forum.

Old April 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #120
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Inner City Tram Network Revealed

Plans for an inner city tram network have been released from the SL planning department. An unofficial map has been released of the proposed network to be operating by 2030. The map also includes a tunnelbana extension through the Karolinska Institutet and onwards to Solna Pendeltåg station as well as an extension to Nacka Forum.

Nice plans! I really hope that the lines of tunnelbanan will be expanded.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden