daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #1201
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Are there any news about the 4th metro line project?
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #1202
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Depending on how you look at it construction will start next year - or you could say there isn't even one planned.
The "Yellow line" is basically just a new branch of the Green line and will operate fully integrated into the Green line.
The "Purple line" which is further from construction will be integrated with the Red line. The northern two (iirc) stations will also have trains running from the current Red Norsborg branch. I.e. the new line will arguably turn the Red line into a line with 3 southern branches & 3 northern branches (with not all branches being able to combine into services).

I wish there was a stand-alone 4th line in the plans (and a 5th one clearly marked in future maps), but there isn't.
On the other hand the new Yellow branch of the Green line and the major extensions to the Blue line will hopefully start construction next year.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #1203
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

It's almost like Stockholm dropped the ball on transit planning in recent times, whilst road planning goes full steam ahead with Förbifart Stockholm and other such initiatives. Heck, they said two years ago we'd get new trains on the red line. Still waiting and riding really old trains that are FAR worse than their age suggests they should be.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #1204
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

You just finished the new city line, could hardly say that nothing is being done for railways...

Since I mentioned the city line have the benefits of much larger capacity already been captured or will that only happen after a timetable change later this year?

Swede liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #1205
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
You just finished the new city line, could hardly say that nothing is being done for railways...

Since I mentioned the city line have the benefits of much larger capacity already been captured or will that only happen after a timetable change later this year?
Citybanan was started ages ago. But equally at the same time there was Södra Länken and Norra Länken built (admittedly also the Tvärbanan too).

Citybanan was so essential though. Having 80% of national rail traffic going through stockholm on only two tracks was ridiculous to the extreme. The pendeltåg still seems to have just as many problems for commuters, so I guess we'll have to see what the actual statistics show. I've not personally taken any national railways since the opening nor do I use them often so I cannot comment. Again, need to see the stats when the year is out.
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #1206
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

What I meant with my question is whether more services have been introduced either for local or long distance trains. Before Citybanan it was impossible due to capacity constraints, but now there is extra space finally.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #1207
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
What I meant with my question is whether more services have been introduced either for local or long distance trains. Before Citybanan it was impossible due to capacity constraints, but now there is extra space finally.
Nah. Still 15 mins each line as far as I can tell and every 30 for Uppsala line. I think the improvements really will only take off after Mälarbanan.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1208
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1091

The future problem can be that the south station (Stockholms Södra) isn't really prepared to operate two its platforms for the commuter trains. This can prevent expansion since the station is located on the most busy line section (all pendeltåg branches). Stockholm Odenplan is one platform, but prepared for two platforms in the future, Stockholm City (central station) is two platforms, Stockholms Södra - as mentioned, Årstaberg - one platform, but the station is on ground and it can be easily rebuild, Älvsjö - two platforms.

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #1209
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Seriously, you do not need more than two tracks in either direction for the commuter rail and that really is not the bottleneck or the tunnelbana would die with three branches. The problem was the mixing of national and local services and that is mostly rectified. Stockholm City has extra capacity as it is a major interchange station and it allows longer dwell times.
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #1210
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

I doubt we'll see serious increases in long distance rail until the rail bridge between Stockholm Central and Stockholms södra ("Getingmidjan") has been renovated, which will take a couple of years.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #1211
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Depending on how you look at it construction will start next year - or you could say there isn't even one planned.
The "Yellow line" is basically just a new branch of the Green line and will operate fully integrated into the Green line.
The "Purple line" which is further from construction will be integrated with the Red line. The northern two (iirc) stations will also have trains running from the current Red Norsborg branch. I.e. the new line will arguably turn the Red line into a line with 3 southern branches & 3 northern branches (with not all branches being able to combine into services).

I wish there was a stand-alone 4th line in the plans (and a 5th one clearly marked in future maps), but there isn't.
On the other hand the new Yellow branch of the Green line and the major extensions to the Blue line will hopefully start construction next year.
Actually I was referring to this project that I found on the web.

FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #1212
Swede
forumer #29

That is not happening and has never been an official plan or even been close to being the official plan.

It is IMO not a very smart plan either. My own ideas can be found on this map:
https://www.google.se/maps/@59.31313...8IqwobEo?hl=sv
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Last edited by Swede; November 7th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #1213
Swede
forumer #29

This is the best map I'm finding that isn't .pdf (can the government PLEASE STOP having maps etc only as .pdf?!?) of what is going to get built. Grey = Yellow. And the two stations Globen & Enskede Gård on the Blue heading south will be replaced by one new station.

source: SLL
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #1214
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's almost like Stockholm dropped the ball on transit planning in recent times, whilst road planning goes full steam ahead with Förbifart Stockholm and other such initiatives. Heck, they said two years ago we'd get new trains on the red line. Still waiting and riding really old trains that are FAR worse than their age suggests they should be.
Fully agreed. and today SL cancelled the contract for the new signaling system for the Red line. 500 million and several years into the project and it looks like it is the correct way forward now. Sue Ansaldo-Breda for all they're worth.

Quote:
Those improvements won't happen til next summer iirc. Gotta make sure it all works first. Plus there's not really enough space on all the branches yet for really dense traffic.
Quote:
Nah. Still 15 mins each line as far as I can tell and every 30 for Uppsala line. I think the improvements really will only take off after Mälarbanan.
Mälarbanan is the big thing, yes. Separate tracks for Pendeln as far as possible then. And the last phase of Mälarbanan is still in planning (the lowering of tracks into a tunnel through Sundbyberg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InK.fan View Post
The future problem can be that the south station (Stockholms Södra) isn't really prepared to operate two its platforms for the commuter trains. This can prevent expansion since the station is located on the most busy line section (all pendeltåg branches). Stockholm Odenplan is one platform, but prepared for two platforms in the future, Stockholm City (central station) is two platforms, Stockholms Södra - as mentioned, Årstaberg - one platform, but the station is on ground and it can be easily rebuild, Älvsjö - two platforms.
Södra Station will take more work, yeas, but it is possible. For Odenplan they've prepped a bit so they can start blasting the second cave without having to dismantle the current tracks iirc. Årstaberg; I've seen the second platform sketched in into the plans for new buildings on that side of the station. Södra... A bit more work, more disruptive, but possible.

Quote:
Seriously, you do not need more than two tracks in either direction for the commuter rail and that really is not the bottleneck or the tunnelbana would die with three branches. The problem was the mixing of national and local services and that is mostly rectified. Stockholm City has extra capacity as it is a major interchange station and it allows longer dwell times.
Eventually it will be needed. Stockholm will keep growing as our climate will likely stay habitable and we have a fairly well functioning economy etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adde View Post
I doubt we'll see serious increases in long distance rail until the rail bridge between Stockholm Central and Stockholms södra ("Getingmidjan") has been renovated, which will take a couple of years.
That is the plan afaik. The real increases will happen when Projekt Getingmidjan and the renovation/revamp of the Stockholm Central track/platform layout is done. Which is being coordinated with the over-decking of that area. So several years yet.

InK.fan, Ki||y liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #1215
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Why do you think extra capacity will be needed at Stockholm Södra? The tunnelbana has multiple branches and running patterns without having such redundancy, as do many systems around the world. It seems to be to be overbuilding in the extreme especially since the common shared section is so short and you have a "passing point" for different types of services at Stockholm City.

IMO Stockholm will stop growing so fast soon. Treatment of immigrants by migrationsverket and the housing situation will be enough of a detraction for people. Anecdotally, these are the biggest things putting off all my colleagues from staying.
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1216
Swede
forumer #29

I don't think the capacity will be needed any time soon. Had there been an interchange with another rail (subway?) line, it would be needed far sooner. But eventually it will be needed and it's good that it'll be possible at that time.

I share your concern for the housing situation and am aware of some idiocy in the MigrationAdministration. But housing construction is up and will likely keep at the higher level as I see it. So housing won't be getting that much worse, hopefully. As for the bureaucracy... there's glimmers of hope there too. Political directives to stop being stupid are needed (the rules that are being followed are direct results of stupid politics).

Svartmetall liked this post
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #1217
InK.fan

Likes (Received): 1091

The contract of the signal system for the red metro line has been cancelled.

Signalsystem kostade en halv miljard – nu hävs avtalet

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/st...det-blev-inget

Ansaldo: ”Chockade och besvikna över att avtalet hävs”

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/st...t-avtalet-havs

System.out.println("Hello SSC!");

Swede liked this post
InK.fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #1218
Swede
forumer #29

If they can't deliver on time (or at all?), then of course it should be terminated and legal actin to get the money back follow.

Also:
Yesterday I asked @nyatunnelbanan on twitter (official account of the project management for the planning and construction of the new bits of subway) for their map of the new subway in something other than .pdf so that you can hotlink to it on social media (incl. forums).
Today they've created it!
Here it is:

source: http://www.nyatunnelbanan.sll.se/sv/...ya-tunnelbanan

The line numbers of the Green/Yellow lines aren't done yet and will change. My prediction is:
line 17 Skarpnäck - Alvik/Åkeshov
line 18 Farsta Strand - Hässelby Strand
line 19 Farsta Strand - Arenastaden

InK.fan, Ki||y, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #1219
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Why show the yellow line as separate at all given the running patterns? It makes more sense to show it as a branch of the green line doesn't it?

Also super interesting they are getting rid of Globen station. Always seemed a bit redundant after the tvärbanan and given the redevelopment of the slaughterhouse district.
Old November 9th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #1220
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Why show the yellow line as separate at all given the running patterns? It makes more sense to show it as a branch of the green line doesn't it?
Couldn't agree more! It was first proposed as a branch/shuttle. Then morphed into jut a normal branch. But they keep using the separate color that was just a PR-stunt.

Quote:
Also super interesting they are getting rid of Globen station. Always seemed a bit redundant after the tvärbanan and given the redevelopment of the slaughterhouse district.

The new station will be a tunnel station, which is needed because the line is going so deep under Södermalm (to get under the water on both sides). It'll take til Sockenplan to get it up to the surface and connect to the old Hagsätra branch. So, now the Blue line will have a part of it that runs on infra originally built for LRT! (i.e. Sockenplan-Stureby).

Here's how the new Slakthusområdet station exits will be:

source: http://www.nyatunnelbanan.sll.se/fil...usomr-detpng-0

InK.fan, Svartmetall, dimlys1994 liked this post

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden