daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #161
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5092

Stockholm traffic system is fantastic. It can inspire Bratislava in many ways, mainly in using of bicycles and suburban trains. Great thread

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:16 AM   #162
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Just something that came up now: Are most jobs in Stockholm area close proximity to rail stations and mass transit hubs?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:36 AM   #163
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Just something that came up now: Are most jobs in Stockholm area close proximity to rail stations and mass transit hubs?
Depends on your definitions of close. Nearly every suburb in Stockholm aside from Nacka and Tyresö and some smaller areas have rail. From this, yes, most jobs in Stockholm are close to some form of the rail network. Even if there isn't rail present the bus services tend to be frequent to areas of large employment. Check it out for yourself on www.sl.se - they have a translate function so you can search for maps. Take a look on google maps and then have a look for routes to the area.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:58 AM   #164
LtBk

Thanks for answering my question. I asked because many US cities including mine have this problem of many good paying jobs(both old and new) being located in areas that are poorly served by mass transit, or not served at all.

Last edited by LtBk; May 31st, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM   #165
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Thanks for answering my question. I asked because many US cities including mine have this problem of many good paying jobs being located in areas that are poorly served by mass transit, or not served at all.
I think the connectivity of hubs in Stockholm is best illustrated with an example. One of the primary growth areas in Stockholm a "knowledge city" in a suburb named Kista is also fast becoming one of the best connected. Kista is located on the blue line of the tunnelbana and is having the Tvärbanan light rail line extended to it in 2013 to allow cross-suburb commutes. Kista is also home to Stockholm's tallest building and has other tall buildings under construction highlighting its growing status in the city despite it being located away from the city centre. As can be seen, the Tunnelbana station is the centre of the suburb.

Unfortunately the street view and the overhead views of the area are wildly out of date.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM   #166
LtBk

I visited Stockholm when I was 1 or 2 years old over 20 years ago, but my folks never used the Tunnelbana. My dad didn't even know that Stockholm had a metro until I told him about it.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:30 AM   #167
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
I visited Stockholm when I was 1 or 2 years old over 20 years ago, but my folks never used the Tunnelbana. My dad didn't even know that Stockholm had a metro until I told him about it.
Dunno how one could miss it - there are blue and white T signs everywhere pointing out where it is. Not to mention the numerous maps, businesses directing you to the nearest station, guidebooks advising you to use it etc etc etc.

I actually used it a lot when I was in Stockholm, and will probably use it a lot more when I move there later this year.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:36 AM   #168
LtBk

I don't know either. Maybe he forgot about it since it's been 2 decades since he last visit it, but my dad is going back this year to visit a friend(we are not Swedish btw).

Last edited by LtBk; June 19th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #169
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
I don't know either. Maybe he forget since it's been 2 decades since he last visit it, but my dad is going back this year to visit a friend(we are not Swedish btw).
Haha, I'm not Swedish either - I'm a Brit in NZ with a Chinese girlfriend moving to Sweden so goodness knows what you'd call me.

Tell him to take the Tunnelbana - there are lots of very attractive stations on it - especially on the blue line!
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:52 AM   #170
LtBk

That's what I'm going to tell him. Going more off topic, but my dad has never used mass transit for 12 years(and that's was in Europe) because we live in auto centric suburban America, and uses a car for all 100% of his trips, even when going to a more urban city. The closed rail station to our house is over a mile, and it's rather useless unless you are going downtown. Mass transit in the Baltimore metro is crap.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM   #171
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Well, I went all around Stockholm and used public transport for everything. Not once did I feel I needed a car even if I had to take a bus a few times. Walking one mile though is not what I would call far. I guess it also depends on how willing you are to walk. Even in Tokyo or Hong Kong I ended up walking well over 1600m to get to a station at times so if one mile is too much to walk, then he probably will find not having a car inconvenient.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:02 AM   #172
LtBk

Except that we are in auto centric suburbia, and the closest rail station is in a business park.

Last edited by LtBk; May 31st, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #173
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Except that we are in auto centric suburbia, and the closed rail station is in a business park.
Haha, fair enough! I just hope he enjoys his time in Stockholm. It's a great little city.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM   #174
LtBk

As I said before, Stockholm is blessed to have good mass transit that makes many people in the US envious IMO.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #175
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
As I said before, Stockholm is blessed to have good mass transit that makes many people in the US envious IMO.
A sparse urbanisation of the whole metro area may be one of te reasons, why Stockholm has a well developed transport system. Of course, the city grows and some of the suburbs become a part of the city area and that is an argument to develop the existing system, even more, aswelll.
I, personally, find trasport system being reasonable in Stockholm (and other Swedish cities).
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #176
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
A sparse urbanisation of the whole metro area may be one of te reasons, why Stockholm has a well developed transport system.
The reason isn't that we're so spread out (mostly in clusters tho, not an even-density sprawl). Most suburbs and rail transit came hand-in-hand. The Blue line suburbs, for instance, are built around the subway stations in many cases. I.e. the transit and suburbs were planned at the same time. The older, more urban suburbs (like Sundbyberg where I'm woriting this at work) are built around the old rail lines (now commuter rail) or old suburban tram lines. Sprawl was what was wanted, rail transit made it sprawl that's somewhat dense around the stations and with plenty of left over forests bewteen suburbs (originally meant as barriers, now tauted as amazing biodiveristy pathways).

And a tiny bit of news:
The Kista-line of the Tvärbana will NOT go to Sollentuna/Häggvik as favoured by most officials but will instead go to option B: Helenelund. Far closer and a simpler strecth to build (500m straight instead of 3-4 km twisting), and also a station on the commuter rail. There is potential for extending it from there in the future as well, so that it connects all the way to Roslagsbanan in the east. This way it could connect all the rail-lines heading north from the inner city at about 5-10 km out.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #177
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The reason isn't that we're so spread out (mostly in clusters tho, not an even-density sprawl). Most suburbs and rail transit came hand-in-hand. The Blue line suburbs, for instance, are built around the subway stations in many cases. I.e. the transit and suburbs were planned at the same time. The older, more urban suburbs (like Sundbyberg where I'm woriting this at work) are built around the old rail lines (now commuter rail) or old suburban tram lines. Sprawl was what was wanted, rail transit made it sprawl that's somewhat dense around the stations and with plenty of left over forests bewteen suburbs (originally meant as barriers, now tauted as amazing biodiveristy pathways).
Ops, and i thought it was the other way. Actually, it really is easier to imagine the cities as combinaiton of clusters, where there are buildings and some greenery in each. As a result the cities aren't very densely populated, yet they occupy larger teritories.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #178
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

SL's "Pride Bus" is Full!

Following a campaign to encourage Facebook users to submit their photo to appear on the side of a new SL double decker bus ready for the Pride Parade in Stockholm, over 34,000 people submitted photos leading to a large, multicoloured collage of many different faces on the side of the bus. This bus will be one of the many exciting displays for the Gay Pride event in August.

The requirement to fill both sides of the bus was only 16,000 photos, however, that requirement was met within 10 hours of the competition opening. Now all faces will also be displayed in a separate tent at the pride event.

Image obtained from PrideSL.se
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #179
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I'm on it looking forward to seeing it in August
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #180
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Major Construction Works During Summer

This summer there are major construction works affecting the Tunnelbana system to allow for improvements to services in the future.

Blue Line Partial Shutdown

The Blue Line will be terminated at Rådhuset to allow for construction work of the Citybanan rail tunnel between 20th of June and 19th of October. People are recommended to change to the Green Line at Friedhemsplan to get to Stockholm Central Station.

Green Line Hagsätra Branch Shutdown

The Hagsätra Branch of the Green Line will be shut down between 21st of March and 25th of September. This is to allow rebuilding of the oldest section of the metro including rebuilding stations and deep cleaning as well as new signalling. Bus number 19 will provide a replacement service every 5 minutes off-peak and every 2-3 minutes at peak.

Restructuring of Södertälje Rail Services

The single track railway line to Södertälje Centrum is being upgraded to double track between 2011 and 2012 with complete station rebuilds and a new station being built at the port of Södertälje (Södertälje Hamn). During this time, all buses will be routed to either Södertälje Hamn or Östertälje stations to allow connections to the railway line to Stockholm.

Tags
metro, scandinavia, stockholm, sweden