daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #1
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Likes (Received): 25

John Jones Arts Building | Finsbury Park | 6 fl | U/C

http://www.johnjones.co.uk/news/2011...finsbury-park/
Islington Planning Ref: P100197

Finsbury Park. The busiest interchange outside of Zone 1. Surrounded by nice areas – the gorgeous park itself, Stroud Green, Crouch End, Highbury. Once a cool-if-rough area in its own right, famous for the Finsbury Park Astoria (now an evangelical church) and excellent music pubs. The last few decades have not been kind. Time for careful use of the wrecking ball and some thoughtful new projects.

This new development lies a few meters from the two new ‘City North’ towers due to rise over Finsbury Park station from 2012-13 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1030381). This area is marked out as prime redevelopment territory in Islington’s Finsbury Park Area Action Plan. This new project, along with the neighbouring plans for The Park Theatre (http://parktheatre.co.uk/blog/) contributes to the creation of a ‘cultural quarter’ for Finsbury Park.

Many users of Finsbury Park station have no choice but to notice the hideous 1980s single-story blocks immediately north of the station and adjoining the rather-nice Stroud Green Road. Formerly a railway yard (this area and redevelopment is rather like KX Central in miniature), these are used for various retail and light industry purposes. The block immediately north of the station is also owned by City North, and rumour has it that it will be brought forward for development once the City North Towers project is underway.

The second and larger block – home of this development - is an almost-square site. Plan of the site as it is now:

On the eastern, Stroud Green Road side a 6-story development known as ‘The Parade’ is already well underway (Islington Planning Ref: P032682(MA02)) – this is the ‘roll-top’ development shown in grey in the top picture and below. It will have retail at the ground floor and open-market apartments above (with splendid views of the park).

The south-west corner of the site is the location of a small factory servicing the legendary Godfrey the Butchers of Highbury. However the entire remainder of the site- some 80% of it – is owned by John Jones, Islington's second-largest private employer. They are a professional framing company of great repute who have been in Finsbury Park for decades, and who supply many of London’s most famous artists and galleries. John Jones (with the assistance of Spiritbond) have decided on a major redevelopment plan, removing their existing buildings in two phases, constructing a new 6-7 story workshop and gallery space alongside top-notch affordable and student accommodation. This will surround a central courtyard above an enclosed vehicle yard. The main workshop (top picture and blue building below) is modelled on the sort of warehouse one finds in Farringdon.

Ground Floor

First Floor
<top floor plan>

Indicative of upper floors:

This project has had a difficult gestation, with Islington Councillors throwing it out with barely any consideration despite a lengthy and exhaustive consultation and ignoring the fact that it exactly matches the requirements laid out in their own Area Action Plan. However this decision was overturned on appeal and – if we ignore rumours of a threatened judicial review – this should commence construction in the summer.

Finsbury Park drinkers will know that the excellent World’s End pub overlooks this site. That pub has planning permission for an additional story (set back, with green walls); work is due to commence very soon. This will effectively raise the pub to a similar height to the John Jones development (Islington Planning Ref P101800). The pub can be seen in the front right of this render looking down Stroud Green Road towards the station.

In another connection to the Kings Cross Central redevelopment, the student accommodation is due to be filled by enrolees at Central Saint Martin’s School of Art & Design, who are moving into the Granary Complex at KX in September.

I love this project. Innovative, well-designed, with the excellent aesthetics one would expect from the owners. It will be a major contribution to the renovation of the area. Once work commences I will keep you updated.

Arky

Last edited by RedArkady; January 30th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
RedArkady no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Charbonnier

Likes (Received): 12

this looks splendid, and just the sort of thing that F.P. needs. The area around the station is now so run down and grim, the occasional visit to the 12 pins on a match day notwithstanding, that I always avoid it.

The Farringdon pastiche looks really good to me, and would bare repetition elsewhere not least at KX.

Thanks for such a detailed post
Charbonnier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
RedArkady
Viewseeker

These gives you an idea what is on the site now (same angle as above).

The side of the 'rolltop' Parade building currently under construction:

The low-rise 80s crap shortly to be demolished:

Vnofd5 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4
lasdun

Likes (Received): 6

Brilliant stuff - thanks for the great post.

God I love city blocks - more please!

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
TheWalker
TheWalker

Likes (Received): 2

Good development, a great change to what is there already
TheWalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
flare

Likes (Received): 64

Love it. I get the W3 every day to FP but I must profess I hadn't really noticed the demolition taking place. It really is such a messy area (although I still prefer it to the Station Place exit). Great to see something proposed for this area, I love the design and workshop feel. Can't believe Islington chucked it out! I'll have to have words with my town planner friends there.

What is 'The Parade'? Be great if they could do somethign with the City North land by the bus station. Not sure what though, any thoughts?
flare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #7
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Fellow W3 commuter!

No demolition has started yet - end of June/start of July.

The Parade is the 'roll-top roof' development being built on the Stroud Green Road side of this block. It is under seperate ownership to the main John Jones development and is already topped out - I think they are now on to first fix. It can be seen in my second post above, and will eventually look like the grey building in the render.

In W3 bus terms, it is the building that you travel past immediately before making the right-turn off Stroud Green Road as you head into Finsbury Park bus station. It's massive, you really can't miss it!

As for the City North site next to the bus station, it's probably several years too early to say. All I know is that they are minded to redevelop it once the main City North tower project is underway.

The sooner the better. I'd argue for retail/cafes/bars with offices above. Ideally with some form of arcade running through the centre of the site, linking the bus station to Morris Place. Or perhaps better than an arcade: not developing the corner where the car wash and food shacks sit, and instead having a small new 'square', opening up the pedestrian desire-line there.

Last edited by RedArkady; April 14th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #8
flare

I see, you said the Parade was on the eastern side of Stroud Green Road so I thought it was on the site of Network Rail yard/mini-cab firm. It all makes sense now.

Be interesting to see what retail goes into The Parade.
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #9
flare

Do you know why it was rejected in the first case?
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #10
RedArkady
Viewseeker

I've added a comma for emphasis.

Retail in The Parade - it was going to be several units, but I understand that it will now be one large one. I think a supermarket was mentioned.

The rejection - too many trees lost (not many, all will be replaced), loss of light to neighbouring properties (a little above normal bounds of acceptability) and that it is not a designated area for new student accomodation.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #11
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArkady View Post
I've added a comma for emphasis.

Retail in The Parade - it was going to be several units, but I understand that it will now be one large one. I think a supermarket was mentioned.

The rejection - too many trees lost (not many, all will be replaced), loss of light to neighbouring properties (a little above normal bounds of acceptability) and that it is not a designated area for new student accomodation.
Correction - planning to amalgamate the retail units was withdrawn - it will be three separate units.

Last edited by RedArkady; April 18th, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #12
flare

With the Sainsbury's by the Old Dairy the area is probably quite saturated with supermarkets so I'd guess smaller units would be better.

Not sure how far you stay on the W3 but did you realise a new Sainsbury superstore is potentially going in at Hornsey High St?
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #13
RedArkady
Viewseeker

I had heard that, yes.

I believe that M&S or Waitrose will be moving into the City North 'two towers'.

I get off the W3 at Mount View Road - the view from there is what made me fall in love with skyscrapers in the first place.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #14
lyonsdown 2.0

Likes (Received): 1

VEry interesting stuff, used to drink in the Worlds End a lot when I lived just round the corner, should certainly improve the look of the place. I expect that it will lead to the Faltering Fullback being overrun with students though, which would be a massive shame as it's one of the best pubs in London.
lyonsdown 2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #15
RedArkady
Viewseeker

The Fullback is an amazing and unique place, but it also stinks and has a crap ale selection. Fix those problems and it would truly be one of the best in London. There are four pubs on Stroud Green Road (The Old Dairy, The Noble, The Stapleton and the World's End) that beat the Fullback in my opinion!
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #16
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Islington Council have requested a judicial review. If anyone has any advice on how to fight for this brilliant proposal please let me know. There's a lot of local support, but I'm not sure how to try to direct it effectively.
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #17
RedArkady
Viewseeker

The High Court Case is due in October/November.

Meanwhile, The wraps are off on The Parade building. I kinda like it, though it's not going down well on Stroud Green.org.

It's worth comparing these shots to the renders above for context.

Last edited by RedArkady; June 17th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #18
flare

It's ok. It's good to see some development taking place in this location but it desperately needs to John Jones development to go ahead.

Incidentally, noticed a very large development site (residential) off Hornsey Lane just before it cross the GOBLIN line. Have you seen any plans for that?
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #19
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Mmmm. I don't think Hornsey Lane crosses the GOBLIN, though it comes close to the Parkland Walk. If you mean Hornsey Road then... I still don't know, sorry.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #20
flare

Islington Council were unsuccessful in their JR so Work to start in late 2012. Fantastic news.

http://www.johnjones.co.uk/art-proje...g/latest-news/

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: