daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » testing | archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #21
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 5021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I know but I want to keep it organized for the future which means registering is a good idea. Btw, I really love it. Minimalistic yet very convenient interface. If it works as promised I won't use anything else.
Yes, it has very good servers so pics always load fast (unlike photobucket)

An alternative that has basically free, unlimited everything with no deletion even with no hits is http://min.us , however their servers are much slower
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #22
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 604

**** Flickr.

I pay money to host pictures, and according to their own guidelines it is allowed to hotlink as long as you post a link back. I always do that since last time SSC was blocked from Flickr, so there's no reason to block my pictures from SSC.
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Rumors

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrgh View Post
**** Flickr.

I pay money to host pictures, and according to their own guidelines it is allowed to hotlink as long as you post a link back. I always do that since last time SSC was blocked from Flickr, so there's no reason to block my pictures from SSC.
I pay too, I'm really pissed.
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Topaas
Tom Wolbrink

Likes (Received): 4370

Quote:
**** Flickr.

I've searched there guidelines and terms of service and can't find any article where they say: if someone else don't follow the guidelines we will block your photos

I have now 30.000+ photos on flickr, all categorized in sets and collections, tags added to it and a lot of them also geotaged. Moving them to another a site isn't really a option for me

Nieuwste fotoseries:
Etna | Apeldoorn | Amsterdam | Utrecht | Istanbul

Komende series: Pompeï, Turijn, Genua, Milaan, Frankfurt, Napels, Athene, Kos, Limassol, Heraklion, Beiroet, Baalbek, Zakynthos, Lissabon, Praag, Berlijn, München, Hamburg, Lerwick, IJsland, Reykjavik, Luik, Madrid, Bergen(N), Tromsø, Longyearbyen, Magdalenafjord
Topaas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaas View Post
I've searched there guidelines and terms of service and can't find any article where they say: if someone else don't follow the guidelines we will block your photos

I have now 30.000+ photos on flickr, all categorized in sets and collections, tags added to it and a lot of them also geotaged. Moving them to another a site isn't really a option for me
30.000+ I thought I had a lot with almost 2.000.
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #26
Rumors

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks! I'm registering there right now. I'm fed up with Flickr. Who the hell they think they are to just block off the photos to a specific site without any clear warning? I pay them money and I get this kind of treatment. Thank got my paid account expires next week which means I'm not going to renew it.
My account expires in three weeks.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #27
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1726

They can wipe my bird. WEEKEND? They had time in their &*%^%^(& weekend to shut us off, but they don't have the time to explain why. Screw Flickr, let's keep 490.000 members and counting away from them.

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris, Corrèze, Limoges, Paris(2)
Ni3lS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #28
Jeromeo
Right here.

Likes (Received): 207

The pictures are showing up on the new skyscrapercity Ipone app.
I think that the problem is not the members posting/ hosting the pictures but all the people grabbing pictures they like and putting them on the boards.
I see a lot off pictures on here that are not linked back too the original on flickr.
Hopefully it will be solved soon.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #29
Ni3lS
Mod

Indeed so that's why I proposed to get rid of the general photography section and wipe the cityscapes and skyline photos section clean.

FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris, Corrèze, Limoges, Paris(2)
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #30
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3768

This is true... some people don't respect the guidelines. However it is still extremely unfair that paying Flickr Pro account users who follow guidelines to the letter (as I do) are "punished" by blocking their images from a website which is not illegal or otherwise illegitimate. Instead they could send warnings to those Flickr users whose photos were "illegally" linked to here and suggest them to fix it by removing those particular links instead of just blocking off the entire website.

Especially since SSC has many members with FLickr Pro account some of whom (e.g. me) use their Flickr almost solely to share photos on SSC. How am I supposed to feel about it and how is it my fault? Thank god my account if expiring in a few days and thank god I did not extend it (I was thinking to do it over the past few days). Again, we may understand if it was a free service but experiencing this while PAYING for a service and then receiving all kinds of answers like "but it does not guarantee that you can always hotlink images, bla bla bla" is just so pathetic and sad. Not that I care about the money but that I won't be able to share my photos.

Also, is Flickr blocked in China? I guess I would be more than happy to share my photos with half a billion Chinese users and make sure thay have no trouble seeing my photos. Especially since my upcoming trip is to China which will, hopefully, result in tons of photos. A good occasion to show a finger to Flickr anyway.

Last edited by Pansori; April 11th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #31
DaiTengu
Bastard Operator From Hell

Likes (Received): 455

I'm currently looking into other options, including setting up our own image hosting. It's not something that we'll have tomorrow, but hopefully soon.

Spaceholder - DaiTengu.com | My Google+ page | DaiTengu on Twitter | DaiTengu on About.me
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM   #32
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 5021

Quote:
This is true... some people don't respect the guidelines. However it is still extremely unfair that paying Flickr Pro account users who follow guidelines to the letter (as I do) are "punished" by blocking their images from a website which is not illegal or otherwise illegitimate. Instead they could send warnings to those Flickr users whose photos were "illegally" linked to here and suggest them to fix it by removing those particular links instead of just blocking off the entire website.

Especially since SSC has many members with FLickr Pro account some of whom (e.g. me) use their Flickr almost solely to share photos on SSC. How am I supposed to feel about it and how is it my fault? Thank god my account if expiring in a few days and thank god I did not extend it (I was thinking to do it over the past few days). Again, we may understand if it was a free service but experiencing this while PAYING for a service and then receiving all kinds of answers like "but it does not guarantee that you can always hotlink images, bla bla bla" is just so pathetic and sad. Not that I care about the money but that I won't be able to share my photos.

Also, is Flickr blocked in China? I guess I would be more than happy to share my photos with half a billion Chinese users and make sure thay have no trouble seeing my photos. Especially since my upcoming trip is to China which will, hopefully, result in tons of photos. A good occasion to show a finger to Flickr anyway.
Yes, it's blocked in China. At this point they deserve it, though
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #33
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 17211

they deserve a worldwide blocked!
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #34
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1562

I'm surprised they have not blocked 3 other larger sites i use that violate the rules daily.....Why is it always SSC that gets it? Seems odd , and why not SSP? There system on blocking sites seems fishy and i wonder if it violated any laws......?
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #35
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 85

My Pro account expires in a few months, and I was considering ponying up the cash to keep it up. Looks like they made the choice for me.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #36
Ni3lS
Mod

It's just sad that they block it for everyone while there are only a couple of members out of the 100.000 daily users here on SSC that fail to credit.

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #37
ikops

Likes (Received): 1157

Well, if some people don't observe the guidelines... I am not sure where this happens the most on SSC, maybe General Photography as Niels has suggested. It's ashame though that other people are also bearing the consequences right now.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #38
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 604

If people don't comply to the rule, it probably is a stupid rule that Flickr should have abandoned a long time ago. Why is it that Imageshack, Tinypic et cetera are free sites and allow hotlinking, while a site that is being paid for by customers doesn't?

I myself always obey to the almighty Flicktator, but I don't mind others not linking to my photo page as long it's not for commercial use.
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #39
fragel

Likes (Received): 35

Why are some people on flickr trying to turn this into a SSC blame game? The key issue is that even if a user pays for the account, comply with their rules, still the pic links get blocked for something that has nothing to do with the user. Such blocking is not acceptable whether the links are posted at SSC or not, let alone now they are targeting SSC which probably gives them the most respect, and they don't mind other non-complying forums hotlinking their pics without crediting. I was thinking of switching to flickr after my photobucket account expires, now I'll just forget it.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #40
ikops

Likes (Received): 1157

Quote:
If people don't comply to the rule, it probably is a stupid rule that Flickr should have abandoned a long time ago. Why is it that Imageshack, Tinypic et cetera are free sites and allow hotlinking, while a site that is being paid for by customers doesn't?

I myself always obey to the almighty Flicktator, but I don't mind others not linking to my photo page as long it's not for commercial use.

The linking is not the problem, the crediting is. Especially when you have to pay for a site, I can imagine that this site is stricter in its rules for the sake of protecting its pics.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote