daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #41
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

Here in Seattle if there is a green arrow light, you can turn this direction and you have right of way, so you don't have to worry about cars or even pedestrians because they all have a red light. When I went to Vancouver, BC, I didn't know what green flashing light meant. In Europe this means yellow is coming soon and this was very confusing. I haven't seen counters on US traffic lights that tell you how many seconds you have before the light turns red/green. They only exist for pedestrian lights but not for cars.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #42
Gareth
Keltlandia
 
Gareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,879
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Why is Europe so strict about turning on red? What is the point of making traffic sit at intersection while cross traffic is clear? Sure it makes sense in some cases if streets meet a wierd angle or there are real traffic/pedistrian issues, but it's stupid to have blanket prohibition.
In those circumstances, an arrow pointing right or left comes on. Simples.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #43
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth

In those circumstances, an arrow pointing right or left comes on. Simples.
This is not the same thing. An arrow in most places gives exclusive right of way, and therefore someone still has to wait at a red. In fact, the more exclusive phases an intersection has, the less the throughput of the entire intersection becomes in many cases.

Whether right turn on red is a good thing or not is a different debate.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum

Last edited by TheCat; April 19th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #44
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Here in Seattle if there is a green arrow light, you can turn this direction and you have right of way, so you don't have to worry about cars or even pedestrians because they all have a red light. When I went to Vancouver, BC, I didn't know what green flashing light meant. In Europe this means yellow is coming soon and this was very confusing. I haven't seen counters on US traffic lights that tell you how many seconds you have before the light turns red/green. They only exist for pedestrian lights but not for cars.
Those timers for pedestrians haven't existed that long here, actually. I first saw them in Washington (DC), maybe ten years ago. They used to make me (as a pedestrian) nervous.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #45
El Tiburon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 738
Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Those timers for pedestrians haven't existed that long here, actually. I first saw them in Washington (DC), maybe ten years ago. They used to make me (as a pedestrian) nervous.
Those pedestrian timers have been coming up in South Florida recently but nobody pays much attention to them and most people cross when no cars are coming.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #46
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
this thing with additional green arrow is common in Croatia indeed. i haven't noticed it that much in othere European countries as here

Very common in the States, usually reserved for left-turn lanes. I don't know if any other places use it differently, but here, if there's a green arrow you've got a "protected" left turn, so you're guaranteed free passage across the intersection when turning left, without having to wait for oncoming traffic to pass, as you may have to do with the normal round green light. It's very commonly used in addition to a red light which generally means stop, with a green arrow as well which doesn't mean stop, so it may be confusing. If you've got a green arrow, you can go that way, regardless of a red light for the same lane.

Also sometimes used is a red and yellow arrow, indicating that that specific lane can only go that direction and nowhere else, in addition to the typical sign with an arrow, or text reading "left turn signal".
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #47
earthJoker
Ölm
 
earthJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisMD View Post
and how are they going to prove that ?
they will "inspect" your phone for special app ? I don't think so
You are not allowed to use your phone while driving and you just can't buy GPS with such a system.

But of course it's hard to prove, same with the radar.

On the other point:
Right turn on red is NOT allowed in Switzerland.
__________________
Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #48
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
You are not allowed to use your phone while driving and you just can't buy GPS with such a system.
You don't need to use your phone to get alerts. If the app uses GPS and an online speed trap information site, it will just give a beep while you are driving. No need to use or hold your phone in any way.

And you can download applications like speed camera locations for GPS too.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #49
kanterberg
Registered User
 
kanterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 176
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
The extra green arrow is almost exclusively used for right turns and never for left turns, AFAIK. The photo I posted is the only straight-pointing green arrow that I know of and it's always on when the main traffic signal is green. Besides, you cannot turn right at this intersection. Don't worry, however, this particular traffic signals confuses even those people who drive there often!

Moreover, I don't know of any intersections built in the last decade or so that use the extra green arrow. Probably because it's more dangerous - it doesn't really give the driver priority. Nowadays we prefer the traffic signal with arrows because it ensures the driver that he/she can make the turn safely.
Never seen a straight-pointing arrow, but you'll see a few of these in Stockholm:

Protected left turn to get up on the bridge, but the turn is not at the traffic light, as you can see, it's a little further ahead. A regular left pointing arrow at this intersection would take you towards oncoming traffic.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #50
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,465
Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
Very common in the States, usually reserved for left-turn lanes. I don't know if any other places use it differently, but here, if there's a green arrow you've got a "protected" left turn, so you're guaranteed free passage across the intersection when turning left, without having to wait for oncoming traffic to pass, as you may have to do with the normal round green light. It's very commonly used in addition to a red light which generally means stop, with a green arrow as well which doesn't mean stop, so it may be confusing. If you've got a green arrow, you can go that way, regardless of a red light for the same lane.

Also sometimes used is a red and yellow arrow, indicating that that specific lane can only go that direction and nowhere else, in addition to the typical sign with an arrow, or text reading "left turn signal".
protected left turn is completely different thing. we also have them. green arrow is in that case at the opposite part of intersection, well visible from left turning lane.
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #51
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Quite all right: you're known for bad food and worse teeth. :-P

And, on topic, 30 years ago when I was first old enough to drive and first went to Europe, Europe had the reputation here of being a dangerous place to drive. I was honestly surprised to learn that fatality rates are higher here.
In the UK they are less than in the US, and also places like Germany I think.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
30 years ago when I was first old enough to drive and first went to Europe, Europe had the reputation here of being a dangerous place to drive. I was honestly surprised to learn that fatality rates are higher here.
Unfortunately many people seem to think Europe = central Paris / central Rome. Driving in such places is a challenge, even for Europeans not known to the area. On the other hand, Los Angeles is definitely not the freeway walhalla many Europeans think it is.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #53
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,667
Likes (Received): 17485

In Brazil

1) Radar detectors are legal in all 27 states.





2)Turning right on red is illegal.

Last edited by xrtn2; April 19th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #54
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda
 
LMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: München
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Radar detectors will be superseded by the increasing number of GPS navigation systems, proprietary or built as apps for smartphones, that allows users to sign online location of radar guns with a single touch (live nuisances and disruptions entering).
I'm sure that not only in Poland there are "mobile police teams" with portable radars. I've seen them in Germany, though only once.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #55
AtD
Bigger is better
 
AtD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5,105
Likes (Received): 1732

In Australia:

Radar detectors are illegal. Depending on what state, a speed camera could be anywhere:



Left turn on red (because we drive on the left) is illegal, unless otherwise signed.

Without a slip lane:


With a slip lane:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmurto/3628413258/
image hosted on flickr


Left turn arrows are very common, like this crazy creation:
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #56
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

And about radar detectors in Virginia...

They aren't only illegal to have turned on. They aren't only illegal to have placed on the dash. They aren't only illegal to have in your vehicle. They only aren't illegal to have in your hand. They aren't only illegal to have on a store shelf. They probably aren't even legal to have in a delivery truck just passing through from North Carolina to Maryland.

They are illegal period. They are banned. They are not allowed to exist. Radar guns, to determine vehicle speed, are legal for police use.

Right turn on red is totally cool as long as you come to a Full And Complete Stop, as it's known in driving school, and treat it like a stop sign. There are sometimes "No right turn on red" signs in which case a red light is a red light.

Question:

What does your area say about U turns? I don't even know what Virginia says about them, it seems like there is nothing consistent anywhere about their laws - some states allow a U-turn only in intersections, others ban them within intersections but allow them everywhere else, some allow them everywhere, some ban them everywhere... Virginia apparently allows them within intersections, as some intersections have a "no U-turn" sign, but most don't, and I've never been stopped by the police for doing it.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #57
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

I wonder if the constitutionality of the ban on possessing radar detectors has ever been tested in the courts. I doubt Virginia can legally prevent a North Carolinian from carrying his radar detector to Maryland (or force him to go around the loooong way): interstate commerce and all that. Although if we let California conduct fruit inspections at the state line....

EDIT: Am now failing to resist temptation to open a political can of worms by making snarky comment about how easy it is to buy a gun in Virginia and carry it to DC or New York City and how Virginia would be the first state to defend its citizens' supposed right to do so.

[exits hastily, dodging brickbats]
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; April 20th, 2011 at 04:03 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM   #58
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I wonder if the constitutionality of the ban on possessing radar detectors has ever been tested in the courts. I doubt Virginia can legally prevent a North Carolinian from carrying his radar detector to Maryland (or force him to go around the loooong way): interstate commerce and all that. Although if we let California conduct fruit inspections at the state line....
They're perfectly fine to have in your car as long as a cop doesn't see them though, just like cocaine or a Tec-9. Out of sight, out of mind.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM   #59
El Tiburon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 738
Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post

Question:

What does your area say about U turns? I don't even know what Virginia says about them, it seems like there is nothing consistent anywhere about their laws - some states allow a U-turn only in intersections, others ban them within intersections but allow them everywhere else, some allow them everywhere, some ban them everywhere... Virginia apparently allows them within intersections, as some intersections have a "no U-turn" sign, but most don't, and I've never been stopped by the police for doing it.
In Florida a U-turn is permitted where not prohibited by a sign as long as it's done without interfering with other traffic.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:44 AM   #60
Xusein
 
Xusein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,172
Likes (Received): 10385

Radar Detectors were once illegal in Connecticut but were allowed again in 1998.

Right turn on red and U-turns are legal unless posted otherwise.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium