daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #81
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Checking the cross street for any control devices does not make any sense and cannot be safe in any circumstance
For me it is the normal behavior in such a case :-) That's why in Europe STOP sign and "cross road has priority" sign (sorry, I don't know the proper English name) have a shape of an octogon/triangle so that they can be identified by the back side as well.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #82
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

That only works if you slow down significantly (or in the example Chris gave - to a crawl) before every intersection to find out if it's controlled or not.

In North America, you will never see the "cross road has priority" sign (because it does not exist), so it would mean slowing down every time the cross road has a yield or stop sign and you do not. This kind of defeats the purpose (since this behaviour is similar to what one would do at an all-way stop sign).
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #83
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

indeed there are very very few uncontrolled intersections here and they are usually very small roads that have 1 car when crossing the intersection
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #84
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Radar detector in my city

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #85
Troubleshooter

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
In the US it's hard to say if one intersection is uncontrolled because there is no sign that tells you you have right of way. If you don't have a stop sign, you have to look if there are stop signs everywhere at the intersection
In many states, an uncontrolled intersection is illegal.
Troubleshooter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #86
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

A rule I've always been curious about its existance in other countries: in Spain, you can drive 20 km/h above the speed limit when overtaking a car that's driving below it in non-motorways, outside-city limits roads with general speed limit (that is, 90 km/h or 100 if road has more than one lane in one of the directions, wide hard shoulders and/or it can only be accessed by motor vehicles). Which is really handy, because you just can't overtake with a speed difference of 5 km/h. Anyone knows other countries with this same rule?

Another "queer" rule says that, on an intersection, left turns must be made leaving the center of the intersection to the left of your vehicle. That is obviously never enforced, and in many intersections you can see simultaneous left turns that imply leaving the center of the intersection to the right of both vehicles. Is that also a law in other places?
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #87
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Norway:

No right turn on red unless there's a green arrow pointing in that direction. Priority from the right applies everywhere where you don't drive on a "yellow diamond"-signed priority road - the motorists on the intersecting road(s) will face a yield or stop sign (you will find yield or stop signs on a few roads intersecting non-priority roads, but it's very rare). In cities, the priority from the right is very common and even on rural roads with an 80 kph limit it's not uncommon. However, since the tendency is that main roads get unofficial priority through intersections, the road administration have suggested that more roads should get the "yellow diamond" priority sign.

You'll find all Norwegian traffic signs here:
http://www.vegvesen.no/Trafikkinform...ts=1213a151df8
I'm of course referring to sign no 202, 204 and 206 above.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #88
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
For me it is the normal behavior in such a case :-) That's why in Europe STOP sign and "cross road has priority" sign (sorry, I don't know the proper English name) have a shape of an octogon/triangle so that they can be identified by the back side as well.
I normally call it the priority sign, but I don't think that any English speaking county uses them
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #89
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
on an intersection, left turns must be made leaving the center of the intersection to the left of your vehicle. That is obviously never enforced, and in many intersections you can see simultaneous left turns that imply leaving the center of the intersection to the right of both vehicles. Is that also a law in other places?
It is normal practise in NL. In effect, it can even be enforced by road-markings.

Examples:
http://goo.gl/maps/J187Q
http://goo.gl/maps/k2Pdg
http://goo.gl/maps/qqBRJ
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #90
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
As I said, the give way rules in New Zealand change in 2012.
And since that's happened, there have been no major accidents.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #91
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
It is normal practise in NL. In effect, it can even be enforced by road-markings.

Examples:
http://goo.gl/maps/J187Q
http://goo.gl/maps/k2Pdg
http://goo.gl/maps/qqBRJ
I see. Those markings are really helpful.