daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #321
lkiller123
oh yeah
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong/Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
It would only be odd if the extra 100 were usernames didn't crop up anywhere else.
That's what I'm talking about.

Burj/CoC has almost 1000 voters, whereas the rest of the competition only has around 850 voters combined from both sides. That alone is strange enough.
__________________
flickr
lkiller123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #322
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
That's what I'm talking about.

Burj/CoC has almost 1000 voters, whereas the rest of the competition only has around 850 voters combined from both sides. That alone is strange enough.
No that in and of itself is not strange. Again, if there are 100 usernames which are never listed on any of the other games, then, then, there is something strange. The higher numbers by themselves, I don't think show any foul play.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #323
Fury
Proudly Canadian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,059
Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

This thread has some hilarious posts .....
1 - Oh no !!! Any of the BK one on one's has more voters !!!
Jeee - I wonder if there are some who don't bother to vote in any of the other matchups ...
2 - The ESB is a great icon not only because of its design, but also because it was built in a time when it was almost unfathomable to build something that tall. Some young people here should really do some reading on the ESB. I have a book that was written around a rediscovered notebook on the construction. Without going into detail, everything was so labor intensive back then.


Ray.
__________________
Burj Khalifa - The Greatest Structure of our Time !!
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #324
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

The ESB is a great icon not only because of its design, but also because it was built in a time when it was almost unfathomable to build something that tall. Some young people here should really do some reading on the ESB. I have a book that was written around a rediscovered notebook on the construction. Without going into detail, everything was so labor intensive back then.
you so funny.then same goes with grammy award2011..they should give it to the first person who record a song,and academy award2011 should win on first film becoz it hard to make a film or drama it that period..dont judge something on time.it will make
best supertall 2010=ebs
best supertal 2011=ebs
best supertall 2012=ebs...
best supertall 2100= ebs

your really need to do research with CTBUH and see how they choose a best supertall every years rather then reading book on esb
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #325
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
you so funny.then same goes with grammy award2011..they should give it to the first person who record a song,and academy award2011 should win on first film becoz it hard to make a film or drama it that period..dont judge something on time.it will make
best supertall 2010=ebs
best supertal 2011=ebs
best supertall 2012=ebs...
best supertall 2100= ebs

your really need to do research with CTBUH and see how they choose a best supertall every years rather then reading book on esb
You've entirely missed the point. We aren't picking the best skyscraper of 2011 though are we? If we were, CoC couldn't be chosen either as it was completed in 2010. We ARE picking the best supertall of ALL TIME. Therefore if there is a building, which regardless of age, is a lot of people's favourites, it has a great shot at winning.

If there was a Grammy for best song ever, and there was a song released in 1931 which still happened to be a lot of people's favourite, I don't see why it wouldn't at least be nominated.

An opinion doesn't work based on length of time you've had it. If someone's liked a classic old song for a long time, they don't at some point think 'wow, I need to change my opinion, this song is too old now'. Some opinions change with time, but nothing is written saying they have to change.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; June 17th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #326
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

ok..that mean..the favourite/famous supertall award..not the best supertall award
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #327
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
ok..that mean..the favourite/famous supertall award..not the best supertall award
You think there is an easy distinction between 'favourite' and 'best'? I fear it's a bit more clouded than that. If your aren't an architectural expert, it's very hard to objectively say 'this' is better than 'this' based on architectural merit alone. Anyway, objectivism has no place here. Only people's opinions matter, and whatever criteria they see fit to base those opinions on is fine. Even if you want to vote for a building solely because it's in your country, that's your prerogative.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #328
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,457
Likes (Received): 21140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
That's what I'm talking about.

Burj/CoC has almost 1000 voters, whereas the rest of the competition only has around 850 voters combined from both sides. That alone is strange enough.
That happened for a very specific reason: on each day that was opening a new vote round, they put a banner announcing/reminding all SSC forumers about the contest (instead of a city banner). Because that ugly Burj al Khalifa is on the 1st bracket, it gets more votes as people unaware of the game clicks to check it out and vote.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #329
eyjafjallajokulls
Registered User
 
eyjafjallajokulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
You've entirely missed the point. We aren't picking the best skyscraper of 2011 though are we? If we were, CoC couldn't be chosen either as it was completed in 2010. We ARE picking the best supertall of ALL TIME. Therefore if there is a building, which regardless of age, is a lot of people's favourites, it has a great shot at winning.

If there was a Grammy for best song ever, and there was a song released in 1931 which still happened to be a lot of people's favourite, I don't see why it wouldn't at least be nominated.

An opinion doesn't work based on length of time you've had it. If someone's liked a classic old song for a long time, they don't at some point think 'wow, I need to change my opinion, this song is too old now'. Some opinions change with time, but nothing is written saying they have to change.


Well, base on your "own opinion", Do we still have to do this competition every 4 years then?? Since your opinion suggest that some building should be the best super tall of ALL TIME. My opinion is this competition should be base on present time and base on your own taste.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #330
eyjafjallajokulls
Registered User
 
eyjafjallajokulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

This thread has some hilarious posts .....
1 - Oh no !!! Any of the BK one on one's has more voters !!!
Jeee - I wonder if there are some who don't bother to vote in any of the other matchups ...
2 - The ESB is a great icon not only because of its design, but also because it was built in a time when it was almost unfathomable to build something that tall. Some young people here should really do some reading on the ESB. I have a book that was written around a rediscovered notebook on the construction. Without going into detail, everything was so labor intensive back then.


Ray.

2. Are you suggesting that there is no other modern supertall face higher challenge in design or construction than esb? History should not be one of the consideration in this competition, else all modern supertall are discriminated and having disadvantage which is defeating the purpose of a fair competition.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #331
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
Well, base on your "own opinion", Do we still have to do this competition every 4 years then?? Since your opinion suggest that some building should be the best super tall of ALL TIME. My opinion is this competition should be base on present time and base on your own taste.
What in the hell is 'present time'? How long ago would you include in 'present time'? I'm just utterly confused by you. You are saying you think people shouldn't be at all able to have a favourite skyscraper which is more than, I dunno, 20 years old? This competition is between all supertalls ever built. It just so happen that that includes the ESB and the Chrysler building, clearly two scrapers you hate, and think should be disregarded as they weren't built during 'present time'.

Of course it makes sense to have a competition like this every so often, opinions change, and there will be new buildings to choose from in the future. Do you think there should have only ever been one Olympic games? They should have just found out who the fastest and strongest people were right then, and anyone who is born after that who happens to be stronger, well they just won't get recognised.

I know you are at a disadvantage as English is not your native language, but you really are making zero sense.

There are competitions to pick the best skyscrapers completed each year, and they are brilliant ans show off the great structures which are built all the time. Emporis does one. i think you are mixing this competition with one of those. Every supertall ever is being judged against every other and that's the way this goes.

Every year the are the Academy Awards or Oscars which proclaim the greatest films of that year. Many organisations, including the AFI have all-time lists. I'm sure you've heard that The Godfather or The Shawshank Redemption are often considered the best films ever. You might have an all-time film list yourself? How does this differ from that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
2. Are you suggesting that there is no other modern supertall face higher challenge in design or construction than esb? History should not be one of the consideration in this competition, else all modern supertall are discriminated and having disadvantage which is defeating the purpose of a fair competition.
Well the ESB has had a lot more time to garner support, so yes I suppose it does have an unfair advantage, but that's just the way things go. I personally can't think of many skyscrapers which, for me, are as good as the Empire State. As I said, 2IFC is one of my favourite modern buildings and I certainly like it as much as the ESB. History will always be a consideration. You may think it's unfair, but that's the way things go.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #332
muck308
Just ducky
 
muck308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West View, PA
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 68

I didn't vote for ESB because it's old. I voted because it is old and has maintained status all those years. I voted because a plane crashed into it and it still stands. I voted because I prefer symmetry over assymetry. ESB also fits well into its neighborhood and it dominates it.

Don't get me wrong, COC is great. All in all, I had to go with ESB. It fits the bill much better with the criteria I look at. In the end, this is all about what we choose because of what appeals to us. It has absolutley nothing to do with cold war era pissing contests or this ridiculous US vs. Russia crap.
muck308 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #333
eyjafjallajokulls
Registered User
 
eyjafjallajokulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
What in the hell is 'present time'? How long ago would you include in 'present time'? I'm just utterly confused by you. You are saying you think people shouldn't be at all able to have a favourite skyscraper which is more than, I dunno, 20 years old? This competition is between all supertalls ever built. It just so happen that that includes the ESB and the Chrysler building, clearly two scrapers you hate, and think should be disregarded as they weren't built during 'present time'.

Of course it makes sense to have a competition like this every so often, opinions change, and there will be new buildings to choose from in the future. Do you think there should have only ever been one Olympic games? They should have just found out who the fastest and strongest people were right then, and anyone who is born after that who happens to be stronger, well they just won't get recognised.

I know you are at a disadvantage as English is not your native language, but you really are making zero sense.

There are competitions to pick the best skyscrapers completed each year, and they are brilliant ans show off the great structures which are built all the time. Emporis does one. i think you are mixing this competition with one of those. Every supertall ever is being judged against every other and that's the way this goes.

Every year the are the Academy Awards or Oscars which proclaim the greatest films of that year. Many organisations, including the AFI have all-time lists. I'm sure you've heard that The Godfather or The Shawshank Redemption are often considered the best films ever. You might have an all-time film list yourself? How does this differ from that?




Well the ESB has had a lot more time to garner support, so yes I suppose it does have an unfair advantage, but that's just the way things go. I personally can't think of many skyscrapers which, for me, are as good as the Empire State. As I said, 2IFC is one of my favourite modern buildings and I certainly like it as much as the ESB. History will always be a consideration. You may think it's unfair, but that's the way things go.
lol... I do not hate the two building you have mentioned. Im just disagree with the history as one of the consideration in this competition, If you insist on that should be in, so be it. That is your own choice and opinion.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #334
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
lol... I do not hate the two building you have mentioned. Im just disagree with the history as one of the consideration in this competition, If you insist on that should be in, so be it. That is your own choice and opinion.
I'm not saying it should be a consideration, just that it's very hard for it not to be.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #335
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
If your aren't an architectural expert, it's very hard to objectively say 'this' is better than 'this' based on architectural merit alone. .
yeah..i'm not expert..but some expert already awarded SWFC is best building 2008(example)..how come it still lost to chrysler?..and i know..most of us voted base on what they want to win..but not doing some research..its call "blind vote"
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #336
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
yeah..i'm not expert..but some expert already awarded SWFC is best building 2008(example)..how come it still lost to chrysler?..and i know..most of us voted base on what they want to win..but not doing some research..its call "blind vote"
Who cares if it was the best building of 2008? Your argument is a jumbled, illogical mess.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #337
pedrotwb
Registered User
 
pedrotwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 126
Likes (Received): 7

You guys should't argue if either ESB or CoC is better, because neither of them will win...nor even get to the final!!!!! Petronas will beat cra.p out of whoever wins this contest on the Semi-final...because it is just way much more ellegant and bigger them they both are!!!

Too bad Burj al Arab lost....it was my favorite...now i hope petronas can beat Burj Khlifa
pedrotwb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #338
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,859
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Who cares if it was the best building of 2008? Your argument is a jumbled, illogical mess.
i cares,ctbuh people also care,some professional judge also care,architecture lover care.and u still dont care,u know why?because some american are so ego with their stuff.
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #339
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
i cares,ctbuh people also care,some professional judge also care,architecture lover care.and u still dont care,u know why?because some american are so ego with their stuff.
The point is, I don't know who picked the SWFC as the best of 2008, but they did that because it was the best in the opinion of all skyscrapers completed in 2008. This same man/organisation could obviously also think the Chrysler building was better than the SWFC, and even more obviously a competition based on public opinion could say that too.

Arrogance has nothing to do with it, the issue here is that you seem hopelessly confused.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrotwb View Post
You guys should't argue if either ESB or CoC is better, because neither of them will win...nor even get to the final!!!!! Petronas will beat cra.p out of whoever wins this contest on the Semi-final...because it is just way much more ellegant and bigger them they both are!!!

Too bad Burj al Arab lost....it was my favorite...now i hope petronas can beat Burj Khlifa
I'm not sure that'll happen. I don't think it's too mad to say that it could just as easily be a 30s final with Chrysler vs ESB, well at least I'd quite like that. I wouldn't mind 2IFC winning either.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #340
banglong1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74
Likes (Received): 6

Chrysler vs ESB?..chrysler is a supertall joke(my opinion)
i hope modern supertall will win,either burj khalifa or petronas..
bruce~please dont comment on my opinion,because i know your taste different from me..
banglong1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu