daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #341
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglong1 View Post
Chrysler vs ESB?..chrysler is a supertall joke(my opinion)
i hope modern supertall will win,either burj khalifa or petronas..
bruce~please dont comment on my opinion,because i know your taste different from me..
That's the final I hope for. Any combination of Chrysler, ESB and 2IFC is a great final for me. 2IFC is a 'modern' skyscraper. Would you not be happy for that to win?

Your opinion, which is fine, is that modern skyscrapers are the best, and aside from a few particular examples, I agree. It is not that opinion to which I assigned the adjective 'confused'.

It is the idea you have that somehow if a building is chosen as the best that one single year has to offer, no other building can beat it. That is like saying 'because 'The King's Speech' won Best Picture at the Oscars this year, no other film ever made is better.' Can you not see how confused that is?
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #342
Fassle
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrotwb View Post
You guys should't argue if either ESB or CoC is better, because neither of them will win...nor even get to the final!!!!!
Yeah, that's clear. But there is a piece of prestige for our new Russian skyscraper in competing with ESB, and getting such terrific results. I'm sure it will not win this comepition, but the fact it is so close to a true legend of skyscrapers makes me feel proud. And COC gained a lot of popularity due to this contest.
Fassle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #343
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

i believe if this competition run every year..the winner will be different,this year maybe petronas,next year the shard,then freedom tower followed by shanghai tower..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #344
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

chrysler building is hardly on the supertall title, same for CoC i was really surprised that they made it so far already, its interesting to see how popularity really is.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #345
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
chrysler building is hardly on the supertall title, same for CoC i was really surprised that they made it so far already, its interesting to see how popularity really is.
You are surprised? The Chrysler is one of the most loved towers in the world. The surprise would be if it had been knocked out.
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #346
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
You are surprised? The Chrysler is one of the most loved towers in the world. The surprise would be if it had been knocked out.
i didnt know that before, i never minded it and thought most would love the empire state building more than anything else. the chrysler i never realised as a popular building. now i know it is
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #347
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

i think just on this forum it is..
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #348
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Not at all. It's almost as iconic as the ESB. The Chrysler's crown is absolutely sublime. It's lower portion is a bit crappy, but that crown is pure bliss. It was ranked 9th on the 'List of America's Favorite Architecture' by the American Institute of Architects. I would say most people only have a passing knowledge of tall buildings, and if they don't love the Chrysler, it's certainly at least one that most people would know.
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #349
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
at least in tv when they have documentories of new york they say to ESB that it is most likely the most popular and well known skyscraper on the world. they rarely mention chrysler building. so maybe among skyscraper fans it is in fact popular and therefor on this forum dunno. but among people who do not care much or tourists it doesnt seem to be.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #350
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

I have to say I don't think the brackets for this thing were worked out very well, the Shanghai WFC, Bank of China, John Hancock Center and the Chrysler Building all in one QF bracket? I'd guess all 4 of those would feature in many peoples top 10 lists.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #351
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I have to say I don't think the brackets for this thing were worked out very well, the Shanghai WFC, Bank of China, John Hancock Center and the Chrysler Building all in one QF bracket? I'd guess all 4 of those would feature in many peoples top 10 lists.
the brackets were made after an algorythm i think. i mean just look the first round was 1st against last place and the 1st on the first versus and the 2nd on last and the others also seem to follow an order.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #352
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
http://www.favoritearchitecture.org/
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #353
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15837

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
the brackets were made after an algorythm i think.
There are 64 supertall buildings (=tower taller then 300 meter) either completed or topped out. These we listed by height and seeded accordingly.
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #354
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
you so funny.then same goes with grammy award2011..they should give it to the first person who record a song,and academy award2011 should win on first film becoz it hard to make a film or drama it that period..dont judge something on time.it will make
best supertall 2010=ebs
best supertal 2011=ebs
best supertall 2012=ebs...
best supertall 2100= ebs

your really need to do research with CTBUH and see how they choose a best supertall every years rather then reading book on esb
What ... - are you new ... ?

ESB is a great icon. I was defending it.
I don't judge anything on time - I haven't voted for the ESB or any other except for the BK.

I do more reading at the CTBUH site than you know and have traded emails with them during the BK height ratification process.

You really need to do some research before you post.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #355
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
i believe if this competition run every year..the winner will be different,this year maybe petronas,next year the shard,then freedom tower followed by shanghai tower..
Unless the tallest 10 buildings 'withdraw' from the tournament in future, The Shard will have a pretty hard time getting to the finals. Still then, you will still have Jin Mao, 2IFC and other greats to compete with.

Yes, Freedom tower will get far in the tournament, if it was to enter.

Shanghai Tower, maybe semis in the future. Until people on this forum update their 'long history' 'legend' significance to a tower, ST will just be another supertall completed in China, nothing more than that!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #356
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
What ... - are you new ... ?

ESB is a great icon. I was defending it.
I don't judge anything on time - I haven't voted for the ESB or any other except for the BK.

I do more reading at the CTBUH site than you know and have traded emails with them during the BK height ratification process.

You really need to do some research before you post.
yeah..i know esb is great supertall icon..but it not the best supertall for this present..in 1990,its yes but in 2011,noooo
i already do a research..and i think my opinion will same with ctbuh..if there is a competiton on coc vs esb in ctbuh award..i sure coc will win easily
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #357
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
yeah..i know esb is great supertall icon..but it not the best supertall for this present..in 1990,its yes but in 2011,noooo
i already do a research..and i think my opinion will same with ctbuh..if there is a competiton on coc vs esb in ctbuh award..i sure coc will win easily
Not a chance. Many other modern scrapers might be voted by CTBUH as better than the ESB, but I just can't see why you are so insanely defending these blocks. CoC is not a great tower. It's technically great I'm sure, it's all shiny, yes, but it is not an awe inspiring feat of engineering.
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #358
Judazzz
Derp?

Likes (Received): 2290

Ugh, next round Chrysler Building vs. BOC Tower - one of my two favorite supertalls will be gone...
Judazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #359
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Not a chance. Many other modern scrapers might be voted by CTBUH as better than the ESB, but I just can't see why you are so insanely defending these blocks. CoC is not a great tower. It's technically great I'm sure, it's all shiny, yes, but it is not an awe inspiring feat of engineering.
i think its AWE INSPIRING!..simplicity+modern..iconic enough,no need the oldish arch element..
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #360
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
i think its AWE INSPIRING!..simplicity+modern..iconic enough,no need the oldish arch element..
I defy anyone to stand in front of both the ESB and CoC and be anywhere near as overcome with awe by the CoC as the Empire State. Other modern scrapers, of course, but not the City of Capitals.

You earlier said that no one can say the ESB is a 'curvy sexy' tower, or words to that effect, and no, no one could say that, and no one would, or has ever said that because it's not curvy, and most world not say it's sexy, but, you seem to have missed that the CoC is not curvy either. Maybe more people would call that sexy, but that's only due to the glass.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; June 18th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.