daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #361
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Not a chance. Many other modern scrapers might be voted by CTBUH as better than the ESB, but I just can't see why you are so insanely defending these blocks. CoC is not a great tower. It's technically great I'm sure, it's all shiny, yes, but it is not an awe inspiring feat of engineering.
I think alot more consideration should have gone into seeding widely acknowledged favourites, it would have made for a fairer more interesting vote IMHO.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #362
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
I defy anyone to stand in front of both the ESB and CoC and be anywhere near as overcome with awe by the CoC as the Empire State. Other modern scrapers, of course, but not the City of Capitals.

You earlier said that no one can say the ESB is a 'curvy sexy' tower, or words to that effect, and no, no one could say that, and no one would, or has ever said that because it's not curvy, and most world not say it's sexy, but, you seem to have missed that the CoC is not curvy either. Maybe more people would call that sexy, but that's only due to the glass.
yeah...sexy glassy building and esb sexy fat building
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #363
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I think alot more consideration should have gone into seeding widely acknowledged favourites, it would have made for a fairer more interesting vote IMHO.
And the choice of the photograph used. Some buildings look great in the photos, others are merely renders, some are just a small fraction of the building, like ESB and SWFC in the earlier rounds.

Hmm, BOC and Chrysler should be interesting. I'm actually interested in seeing what people have got to say as their reason for voting. both have a long history and significance, BOC being more original in design.

If the CoC was built in the US, it sure would have made it through easily.

US vs Russia? Now comes the real rivary. NY vs HK !!!!!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #364
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
And the choice of the photograph used. Some buildings look great in the photos, others are merely renders, some are just a small fraction of the building, like ESB and SWFC in the earlier rounds.

I couldn't agree more!!!
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #365
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
I don't think so at all. This isn't a US vs Russia for anyone who isn't Russian. It's a grand old building which everyone knows and likes, and a perfectly nice but fairly boring modern tower. If the CoC was in the US, and it was still up against the ESB, it would still lose. In fact, I suspect it would have lost more, as it wouldn't have had all the Russian support voting for it just because it was in Russia.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #366
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

I don't want to start anything now but the same could be said for esb. Imagine if it was built in China. I think it would have been mocked years ago and have lost in the first round for SURE!!!!!

You are clearly mocking CoC, well then answer this question:

'Does the Freedom Tower look better or CoC'?

Don't you think Freedom tower is a fairly boring modern tower?

Its design is no where near original
Its slightly less plain than a box
Its a tower that has a really long spire for a building

From how I see the votes for Coc:
-They like the tower
- They don't like America
-They don't like ESB
-They want an upset

If Jin Mao, SWFC was in America, it wouldn't have lost to Chrysler, honest.

The next round for ESB is a breeze for sure, since its up against China. Chrysler on the other hand has a more challenging round
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #367
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

i would never vote for not liking a country. if it was like that how could north korea have gotten votes at all?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #368
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
and esb sexy fat building
I have a serious question for you: do you have a mental handicap or are you blind?
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #369
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i would never vote for not liking a country. if it was like that how could north korea have gotten votes at all?

Seriously, take a look at those comment, some ppl do vote base on the building location !!
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #370
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
I don't want to start anything now but the same could be said for esb. Imagine if it was built in China. I think it would have been mocked years ago and have lost in the first round for SURE!!!!!

-They like the tower
-They don't like ESB
-They want an upset

The next round for ESB is a breeze for sure, since its up against China. Chrysler on the other hand has a more challenging round

Im not sure I would agree with you on the rest, but I am completely agree with you on this:
" Imagine if it was built in China. I think it would have been mocked years ago and have lost in the first round for SURE!!!!!"
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #371
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

???? I haven't looked at this thread much...because figure it's not about buildings...just feelings about countries.....I have heard of the ESB...lucky to have visited it twice in my lifetime...so far...and as for CoC ? I should broaden my horizons because this is the first time I've heard of it...will look at it now OK.....unless it's a reference to a phallic symbol....as many say tall buildings are ???
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #372
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:

-They like the tower
-They don't like ESB
-They want an upset

Jin Mao is a fantastic tower - one of my favorites, actually. But if I had to pick between Chrysler and Jin Mao, I'd pick Chrysler. It has nothing to do with the country.

And I don't think the ESB will survive the next round. Everyone who voted for CoC will vote for the competition. Same thing would happen if the ESB lost.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #373
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I have a serious question for you: do you have a mental handicap or are you blind?
blind?hurmm..no..its reality.esb is huge fat building compare to other building around it,it dull and less sexy then Coc
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #374
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1049

the ESB aint dull, the COC are just some boxes on top of each other with a glass facade thats it. nothing more.. I like both, but the ESB stands out the most and has way more class. Art deco is the best!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #375
guy4versa4
BANNED

u said coc is some boxes on top of each other,how about esb?i think its also boxes,but in ugly position, art deco is ugly architecture...
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #376
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1049

calling art deco ugly says enough... You have a bad taste.. a very bad one!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #377
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
yeah..i know esb is great supertall icon..but it not the best supertall for this present..in 1990,its yes but in 2011,noooo
i already do a research..and i think my opinion will same with ctbuh..if there is a competiton on coc vs esb in ctbuh award..i sure coc will win easily
Why don't you sharpen up your English before doing your so-called "research?" If English is not your native language, use the Google Translate.
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #378
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
Why don't you sharpen up your English before doing your so-called "research?" If English is not your native language, use the Google Translate.
ok i will!..im not good in speaking or writing..but i still can read and understanding..
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #379
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:

I entirely agree, but that's because the Chinese are entirely fixated on the future and don't want to remember their past.

I think One World Trade Center has a majesty that the CoC just can't touch. It's not a box, you may or may not notice that it's actually 8 triangles, and there are no large buildings with a similar design, but I guess that doesn't fit your argument. Yes it has a tall spire. The reason for that is the roof height is going to be the same as the original, and the spire reaches a height of 1776 feet, which is symbolic as the US gained it's freedom in 1776.

I really don't dislike CoC, it just isn't anything special. Of course the ESB is boxy, but the orientation of those boxes is truly wonderful, far better than 5 stacked slightly skewed.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #380
gunslinger

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
And I don't think the ESB will survive the next round. Everyone who voted for CoC will vote for the competition. Same thing would happen if the ESB lost.
I wouldn't be so sure. I, for one thing, would vote for ESB - third time now with a break for CoC.

Quote:
I think One World Trade Center has a majesty that the CoC just can't touch. It's not a box, you may or may not notice that it's actually 8 triangles, and there are no large buildings with a similar design, but I guess that doesn't fit your argument. Yes it has a tall spire. The reason for that is the roof height is going to be the same as the original, and the spire reaches a height of 1776 feet, which is symbolic as the US gained it's freedom in 1776.
After you've called all MIBC towers 'filler scrapers', it is a real pleasure to call Freedom Tower a filler tower that it is - New York has shown time and again it can do much better at modern architecture (Beekman here is a perfect example). FT is the weakest design at new WTC (2WTC & 3WTC pwn it effortlessly), and its UFO-type top is an eyesore (just spire would look way more organic). The only supertall it can compete in terms of design is Taipei 101 with a fair chance of Taipei winning.

Though I have no doubts FT will get to the finals of next World Cup.
gunslinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote